PDA

View Full Version : What is the lowest offset that has been used with 8 inch wheels?

drivemusicnow
05-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm trying to get wheels that will work on both of my cars, and I"m trying to figure out what offset works with both.

The eclipse likes a 38 or so offset, the svx likes a 48.... whats the lowest the SVX can go before they start rubbing on the inside of the spring.

Earthworm
05-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Aan 8" rim w/48mm offset will already stick out about 1/2" (or 13mm) more than stock.

See how much room you have to play with on your car as not all SVX's are the same. (A tire may rub on one SVX but not on another)

SVXelerator
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Mr. Greg,
I believe Mr. Chike and Mr. SVXRide both use the 3rd Gen RX-7 rims, which are 8" wide with a 50mm offset. I don't think either one of them has said their tires rub....

Bwana
05-18-2005, 05:20 PM
The 18x8's I'm selling are 42mm offset, and I've had no problems what-so-ever on my old 94, or my current 96. There's no difference in how far they stick out either...atleast no difference perceptible to the naked eye.

Chiketkd
05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Mr. Greg,
I believe Mr. Chike and Mr. SVXRide both use the 3rd Gen RX-7 rims, which are 8" wide with a 50mm offset. I don't think either one of them has said their tires rub....
Correct specs - 16x8" with a 50+mm offset. No rubbing with stock sized 225/50 tires. I'll be switching to 245/45 all season tires when my current summer-only Dunlop SP Sport 8000 tires wear out.

-Chike

mbtoloczko
05-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Its going to depend also on what width tires you use. If you go with 235s or wider, good chance you'll need at least a 45 mm offset.

drivemusicnow
05-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Does anyone on here have 8 inch wide wheels with 235/45 tires??

I don't think the STi rotas will work because of the 48mm offset. I guess I don't really know if a spacer is "safe" or not. I don't understand why it wouldn't be, however the general consensus i've heard is not to put 48mm offset and a 10mm spacer on the eclipse, even though this seems like it would be the best option.

SVXer95
05-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey Greg...is there something wrong with the DSM wheels? If you are looking for straight performance on that beast, I would recommend keeping stock wheels and really good rubber.

That way you could get whatever wheels you want for the SVX. I don't think that you are going to find a wheel that works *well* with both cars. Especially if it is for performance reasons.

SVXRide
05-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Does anyone on here have 8 inch wide wheels with 235/45 tires??

I don't think the STi rotas will work because of the 48mm offset. I guess I don't really know if a spacer is "safe" or not. I don't understand why it wouldn't be, however the general consensus i've heard is not to put 48mm offset and a 10mm spacer on the eclipse, even though this seems like it would be the best option.

I'm running 245/45-16's on my RX-7 rims with no rubbing at all. Note: I am running -1.5 degrees of camber, front and back.
I think Tom's son's SVX is running 245/45-16s on stock rims without any problems.
-Bill

drivemusicnow
05-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey Greg...is there something wrong with the DSM wheels? If you are looking for straight performance on that beast, I would recommend keeping stock wheels and really good rubber.

That way you could get whatever wheels you want for the SVX. I don't think that you are going to find a wheel that works *well* with both cars. Especially if it is for performance reasons.

Well, the brakes i'm looking to get for the eclipse are 13inch rotors, and that eliminates the stock wheels from working out. I was planning on roasting the rest of the dunlop SP5000s, and then getting the new wheels and tires along with the new brakes. I'm looking at the kuhmo MX's or falken azenis for a cheap grippy tire to go on these. don't think i want to step up to a "race" tire yet.

Zeppelin
05-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey Greg,

Have you looked into getting some DSM 17" wheels? I know of a few sets for sale around here in Denver. Those should clear the 13" rotors. I think the 3G's have 17" wheels too..

sperry
05-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I tossed a set of stock EVO rims on my SVX briefly... they're 17x8 +38 IIRC. The rears rubbed a little on the fender, but that was easily fixed by removing the rear liner trim and rolling the fender a tiny bit.

So, they "fit", but I wouldn't go quite that far on a regular basis. With the right tires, you can probably get away w/ a 17x8 +42 on the SVX... but I'm not sure if that will work on the DSM.

Amazonparrot
05-23-2005, 09:39 AM
The 18x8's I'm selling are 42mm offset, and I've had no problems what-so-ever on my old 94, or my current 96. There's no difference in how far they stick out either...atleast no difference perceptible to the naked eye.

I have the same wheels that Scott has here, and I also have had no troubles with rubbing at all on my '92 with the 42mm offset, however I would have to disagree with the part about not being able to see it sticking out further....the face of the tire and wheel are most definetly much more flush with the outside of the fender, thats one the reasons I like them (give the fender a full look). Chike, seeing as you jump on every post on earth...what would you say...you've seen them a few times :p

-Andrew

(ps, Im using 225/40 rubber)

Chiketkd
05-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Chike, seeing as you jump on every post on earth...what would you say...you've seen them a few times :p

-Andrew
I'd have to agree Andrew. The rear wheels and tires (which are recessed on the stock offset wheels) are definitely flush with the body of the car.

-Chike