PDA

View Full Version : e ram tested

poweredx2
05-05-2005, 01:33 PM
I got my car back from ammco with my new tranny.I ran a few passes at the track but I didn't manage a single 14 second pass I hit about 15.0-15.3 at around 94 mph.Which is due to my tires are very slick.I met a kid with a civic that had that e ram supercharger,he swore this thing was awesome,well he did run 15.7 at 88mph with the eram on and16.2 at 85mph with it off,well I paid him 40 bucks to test it out.We had it on the svx in about 20 minutes.My times were still 15.1-3 but at about 99mph,I must say that this thing really pulls hard the faster you go.I like this gadget but truly won't pay 300 dollars for it,maybe two,also I notice that my voltmeter would lose nearly half a volt when the eram is on.Any thoughts

thundering02
05-05-2005, 05:15 PM
First WTF is an e ram? Second Pics? Third pics of the time slips. 4th little more info please.

Edit: NM I googled it and why pay 300 bucks for an awsome fan with a new air filter and a couple of switches why not just make it?

Earthworm
05-05-2005, 05:19 PM
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

ensteele
05-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I still don't know what e-ram is, but there were some cute girls there. :rolleyes: :) :)

poweredx2
05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Well the eRAM is a little high powered fan that forces extra air into the engine at WOT.I've known about this product for years but I HAD MY DOUBTS.But I must say it does work judging by the mph I gained,I don't have a scanner to post timeslips,its a waste of money to me.I am not telling no one to buy one,but this little gadget actually works fairly well.I'm still not purchasing one because 300 dollars is too steep for say 10-12 hp.I guess if your car is already modded for extra airflow it will work fairly well and vice versa.Anyway I wouldn't even post a low 15,thats below the standards of this fwd bullet.

poweredx2
05-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh yeah,great idea I may try to build one,the fan appear to some type model airplane propeller.

b3lha
05-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Oh yeah,great idea I may try to build one,the fan appear to some type model airplane propeller.
Now there's an idea. What about those model aeroplanes with little petrol engines? How about a model aeroplane engine fed off the main fuel line, blowing air into the intake?

Beav
05-06-2005, 06:03 AM
For tha matter, why not do it the even easier way and mount a leaf blower?

thundering02
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
they showed a comparisson and that sucked

TomsSVX
05-06-2005, 09:28 PM
For tha matter, why not do it the even easier way and mount a leaf blower?

Thats a good idea. I think im gonna do that while I am swappin transmissions :D

Tom

Rd96SVX
05-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Um, I really hate to be the idiot here, but are you guys serious about the leaf blower...? :confused: :confused:

TomsSVX
05-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Um, I really hate to be the idiot here, but are you guys serious about the leaf blower...? :confused: :confused:

No way, but it would be kinda cool if someone got it to work like that :D

Tom(redneck leaf blower supercharged member)

Rd96SVX
05-06-2005, 11:32 PM
;) okay, cause I was getting worried there for a sec. AND if it was possible/plausable I have an compact( ~ 3 in diameter x 6 inch long) electric air pump used to fill inflatable rafts and such with a humongous air flow rate.... it put ideas in my head. :p :p

TomsSVX
05-06-2005, 11:45 PM
;) okay, cause I was getting worried there for a sec. AND if it was possible/plausable I have an compact( ~ 3 in diameter x 6 inch long) electric air pump used to fill inflatable rafts and such with a humongous air flow rate.... it put ideas in my head. :p :p

Oh boy :rolleyes:

Tom

Beav
05-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Actually a cheap leaf blower could fit in place of the intake resonator. Just be sure to have it blow through the air filter and MAF.

I can just see someone trying to go through tech inspection at the track with a leaf blower wailing away under the fender... maybe a remote pull rope snaked through the RH door jamb and a string to pull the throttle open after staging. Then again, if the blower was really good, you could just floor the gas for a second and let the engine suck-start it.

Hmm... a $79 leaf blower from Home Depot is a lot cheaper than NOS.

*wonder if I have anyone ready to try this...*

ThetaReactor
05-07-2005, 11:56 PM
It's not just the volume of air that the blower can push, but the pressures at which it can do so. A traditional supercharger has the torque of the engine spinning it, the leaf blower might be 2hp...

Beav
05-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Agreed, but it is better than nothing and especially better than spending $300 on a starter motor driven fan (about 1hp.), octane boosters, cone filters, fuel line magnets, grapefruit shooter mufflers, gutting/removing cats, etc. If you want more pressure place a second one in the other fender and tee in with PVC. It would still be half the price of e-ram and no parasitic losses.

I realize it sounds ludicrous, that's the whole point. People spend so much time and effort for so little return on investment. $300+ for nitrous plus another $35 for three shots of gas with the potential of frying the engine. $50+ for cone filters that allow more garbage to enter the intake and don't even give you any feeling of extra power. Yeah, "the dyno says..." but that is high-end power that HAS to be measured to be detected. $250+ exhaust mods that I'll wager are more detrimental than beneficial. Bigger isn't always better, the more air standing in the pipe, the harder it is to push it out. The bigger the pipe, the lower the velocity. If you like the rush of acceleration the gear ratio changes are probably the most cost effective and rewarding.

But they still cost more than $79. ;) :D

Beav
05-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I hope y'all know I'm joking around. However...

http://www.boosthead.com/faq.php

NeedForSpeed
05-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Your SVX gained 5 mph?, from 94 to 99 mph in the quarter? That's more than 12 horsepower. Who has their calculator programmed for these things?

Well the eRAM is a little high powered fan that forces extra air into the engine at WOT.I've known about this product for years but I HAD MY DOUBTS.But I must say it does work judging by the mph I gained,I don't have a scanner to post timeslips,its a waste of money to me.I am not telling no one to buy one,but this little gadget actually works fairly well.I'm still not purchasing one because 300 dollars is too steep for say 10-12 hp.I guess if your car is already modded for extra airflow it will work fairly well and vice versa.Anyway I wouldn't even post a low 15,thats below the standards of this fwd bullet.

SnowPlow
05-09-2005, 05:40 PM
I hope y'all know I'm joking around. However...

http://www.boosthead.com/faq.php

This one sounds like it could be possibly real, maybe not as impressive as they make it, but it could work. (or am I being dazzled by their "boosted" claims).

I just wondered what kind of drawbacks it would have on your airflow when this system is not working/recharging.

SnowPlow
05-09-2005, 05:42 PM
has anyone seen the Knight echarger in action... on any vehicle?

Myxalplyx
05-10-2005, 08:00 PM
I got my car back from ammco with my new tranny.I ran a few passes at the track but I didn't manage a single 14 second pass I hit about 15.0-15.3 at around 94 mph.Which is due to my tires are very slick.I met a kid with a civic that had that e ram supercharger,he swore this thing was awesome,well he did run 15.7 at 88mph with the eram on and16.2 at 85mph with it off,well I paid him 40 bucks to test it out.We had it on the svx in about 20 minutes.My times were still 15.1-3 but at about 99mph,I must say that this thing really pulls hard the faster you go.I like this gadget but truly won't pay 300 dollars for it,maybe two,also I notice that my voltmeter would lose nearly half a volt when the eram is on.Any thoughts

This is really good info and I thank you poweredx2 for posting it. You can expect the jokes and cracks on the product. I've read about this product for years as well and I never believed it would work. Had I had connections or a friend that had it, I would've happily tested it out and posted the results.

You gained 5mph with this unit on. That's a SIGNIFICANT hp gain for $300 in a heavy SVX. I'm interested. If you have a used unit I may test out, I'd happily test it out at the track on either of my XT6s or my Outback Sport. I'll also dyno before and after test results as well on another board. Again, thanks for testing and sharing your results. I'm still weary of paying that kind of money for it though.

I'll go about looking for a used unit now. I'm not looking for quicker 1/4 mile times. 5mph is a nice gain though. With fuel adjustments, a mph or two may be able to be had on top of this.

black beast
05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Why pay $300 when you can buy the Turbonator for >100 dollars, my buddy has one it kicks.

blacknite
05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I Bought The Tornato About A Year Ago. And I Notice A Slight Difference In Performance, Not Bad For $70 Dollars At Napa... I Still Have It In The Svx... I Guess It Kind Of Work Like The Iris System. I Creates High Pressure In The Intake.

thundering02
05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Why not wire in one of the(electric) remote controled plane engines in with a blade on it some of those are capeable of 3-4 psi in the intake?

GreenMarine
05-25-2005, 03:59 PM
they showed a comparisson and that sucked

Well it looks like it "Blows".... literally :D:D:D

TomsSVX
05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Why not wire in one of the(electric) remote controled plane engines in with a blade on it some of those are capeable of 3-4 psi in the intake?

The question is, would it flow more than the intake already does? It can create all the pressure it wants but will it be more than the vaccum that is already there? thats why these electric blowers are useless in my humble opinion. I think the leaf blower mod is a better idea ;)

Tom

RASchemel
05-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Such a waste money. It is a cheese ball part, for cheese ball users.

Myxalplyx
05-26-2005, 04:04 PM
The question is, would it flow more than the intake already does? It can create all the pressure it wants but will it be more than the vaccum that is already there? thats why these electric blowers are useless in my humble opinion. I think the leaf blower mod is a better idea ;)

Tom

I don't get it! Question should be, why does it generate a higher trap speed than an intake without it. How could it flow equal or less flow than then stock intake and get a higher trap speed? :confused:

SEA Sleeper
05-26-2005, 05:52 PM
I don't get it! Question should be, why does it generate a higher trap speed than an intake without it. How could it flow equal or less flow than then stock intake and get a higher trap speed? :confused:

Now, I may be exposing some ignorance in the world of drag racing but how is it that his car reached a higher trap speed but had no improvement on his 1/4 mi time?

....(BEFORE).... I hit about 15.0-15.3 at around 94 mph....... (AFTER)....My times were still 15.1-3 but at about 99mph...

Could it be because the electric fan was actually restricting flow as well? I'm confused by the fact that he was going faster through the end gate but obtained the same timeslip... :confused:

Earthworm
05-26-2005, 05:56 PM
From the description I would say it was engaged mid run.

Of course if multiple runs were made with/without it installed the same day that would be a better test.

Myxalplyx
05-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Now, I may be exposing some ignorance in the world of drag racing but how is it that his car reached a higher trap speed but had no improvement on his 1/4 mi time?

Here is one possible scenario. The E-ram could be considered a restriction in the intake track at low speeds due to less electrical draw or something like that. In this case his take off from idle to let's say the 300ft mark is slower than stock. However, as he goes faster, the E-ram could spin much faster allowing more air than stock to get into the intake than stock, hence more power. So, this could make up for his slow start off but not enough to make the car quicker. The car is faster though so if the car was to go further than the 1/4 mile mark with the E-ram vs a non-Eram installed SVX, it would've passed it at some point.

This is what would take place between a DOHC 2.5RS vs a SOHC 2.5RS. One has a better low end (SOHC) and one has a better top end (DOHC). They both get to the 1/4 mile mark at the same time, however the DOHC would have a slightly higher trap speed. In the end, it would pass the SOHC 2.5RS had they raced further.

Ok...that's ONE example. I tire of typing! :o

svxsubaru1
05-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Hmm... a $79 leaf blower from Home Depot is a lot cheaper than NOS.

*wonder if I have anyone ready to try this...*

Yeah but you want 2 of them so you can do the spit maf trick easiley, then the maf will be able to read the 500hp worth of air your getting. :D

TomsSVX
05-27-2005, 12:35 AM
I was speaking of a model airplane engine. the E-ram may have helped him with his trap speed simply because the svx breathes deep. In low end there is more than enough flow to keep the engine satisied. Once it starts flowing more(higher rpm) the intake may become a little more restrictive(this is where the fan may help) this will bump his trap speed up but to be honest I feel it mainly effected HP rather than torque since the torque is more relative to ET like trap speed is relative to a power/weight ratio. So torque curves remaining relatively the same the time will be relatively the same but when HP is bumped, the trap speed gets bumped....Hope it wasn't too cunfusing for ya cuz it is still confusing me :eek:

Tom

SEA Sleeper
05-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Those Starter motor powered turbines look neat. Can't say I'd install one of those either though. What guarantee do we have that the injectors will be able to provide enough fuel even w/ it blowing into the MAF. I'd rather run stock than lean. The SVX (USDM) runs frighteningly lean as it is. I like having piece of mind that lean detonation is not on my engine's transcript.

Just my $.02

SEA Sleeper
05-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Here is one possible scenario. The E-ram could be considered a restriction in the intake track at low speeds due to less electrical draw or something like that. In this case his take off from idle to let's say the 300ft mark is slower than stock. However, as he goes faster, the E-ram could spin much faster allowing more air than stock to get into the intake than stock, hence more power. So, this could make up for his slow start off but not enough to make the car quicker. The car is faster though so if the car was to go further than the 1/4 mile mark with the E-ram vs a non-Eram installed SVX, it would've passed it at some point.

Lastnight when we were discussing this I was thinking along the same lines. I still agree but I'm having trouble w/ this explanation and I'll explain why.

Now, if the motor speed responds to RPM then this would make sense. However, my understanding is that you basically have a small electric motor constantly blowing the same rate into the intake. If this is the case, then how would the engine benifit at high RPM while being starved / restricted at lower RPM? If the motor can meet the demands at high RPM why does it cause restrictoin at lower RPM? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm guessing that if the e ram is spinning at the same rate at all times then it may have to do w/ intake vaccum but that's just a guess. I'm trying to think of variables in the intake system and VAC is one of them. I honestly don't know though and that's why I'm asking.

Well, now that I racked my brain over this concept, I suppose if it was turned off at low RPM then forcing the air to move around the inactive fan blades would cause restriction.

Thoughts anyone?

What were the connections involved when connecting the e ram?

Myxalplyx
05-27-2005, 07:36 PM

Man, I wish you took a picture of it.

94svxred
05-28-2005, 01:02 AM
I think that $300 for .3 seconds is'nt worth the dough :eek: Better off buying a tornado fuel saver(buy it now Ebay price $35.99) :rolleyes: .I had a Tornado i my GMC V6 Sonoma and it made quite a difference!!! :D I'll bet the Tornado can give .3 tenths ,For $36 bucks MUCH BETTER DEAL :) :) I think i'll get one for my Subie :D FYI: The Tornado Model for our svx's is KI-75!! THAT'S MY 2 CENTS ;)

TomsSVX
05-28-2005, 01:19 AM
im drunk

Tom

Myxalplyx
05-28-2005, 09:00 AM
I think that $300 for .3 seconds is'nt worth the dough :eek: Better off buying a tornado fuel saver(buy it now Ebay price $35.99) :rolleyes: .I had a Tornado i my GMC V6 Sonoma and it made quite a difference!!! :D I'll bet the Tornado can give .3 tenths ,For $36 bucks MUCH BETTER DEAL :) :) I think i'll get one for my Subie :D FYI: The Tornado Model for our svx's is KI-75!! THAT'S MY 2 CENTS ;)

*Shakes his head*

He said he also gained 5mph in his trap speed. 5mph!!! Powered, if you happen to get your hands on another one of these, PM me. I'd like to do some dyno runs with and without it.

poweredx2
05-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Sorry it took long to return,my increased trapspeed was do to worn tires and massive wheelspin.I think the e-ram works somewhat by cramming more air into the engine at low rpm and giving you a ramair effect at high rpm.I purchase new tires and my car still pull a 14.92 at 94mh,without the eram.I'm sure it will pull a 14.7 after I install an inline pump with the later to be purchased eram.Well people will always doubt something will work but with the stage one software it will be a fairly strong setup without nos.Also the inline pump will be for something else a little further down the road.

Myxalplyx
05-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Sorry it took long to return,my increased trapspeed was do to worn tires and massive wheelspin.I think the e-ram works somewhat by cramming more air into the engine at low rpm and giving you a ramair effect at high rpm.

.........I ran a few passes at the track but I didn't manage a single 14 second pass I hit about 15.0-15.3 at around 94 mph.Which is due to my tires are very slick. I met a kid with a civic that had that e ram supercharger,..................well I paid him 40 bucks to test it out.We had it on the svx in about 20 minutes. My times were still 15.1-3 but at about 99mph, ..............

Sorry if this is sounding annoying but I just like to be clear on some things. Are you saying that your tires became so worn between your first runs between 15.0-15.3@94mph that by the time you installed the E-ram and retested it, you got a 99mph trap speed? :confused: I thought this was all attributed to the E-ram but you are saying that it's a toss-up that the 99mph trap speed is partially the E-ram and partially the worn tires right?

mbtoloczko
05-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I get the impression that he was saying that by the time he got to install the e-ram, traction had become worse, but he was able to maintain consistent 1/4 mile times because his trap speeds were improved by the e-ram. So, the e-ram provides a HP improvement out to at least part of the 4000-6500 rpm range utilized by the 4eat during full throttle runs.

poweredx2
05-31-2005, 04:32 PM
With my new tires my 60 ft dropped from 2.2 to 2.16 but my trap was still around 94mph,I was saying that with my worn tires and the added power of the eram that caused the increase in trap speed,hell I have ran a 14.5 at 110 on nos second gear wheelspin is a blast.

Myxalplyx
05-31-2005, 06:40 PM
hell I have ran a 14.5 at 110 on nos second gear wheelspin is a blast.

Gawd, you don't know how bad I'd love to run trap speeds in that range. That's a highway giant killer......*cough* I mean, a really fast track car. ;)