PDA

View Full Version : Installed the ECUtune stage 1 chip today

deruvian
05-04-2005, 10:03 PM
The first thing that I did after opening my package in the mail was install it's contents... the ECUtune stage 1 chip.

I left my car unplugged from the battery for a while, to attempt to clear whatever memory possible. I also installed the wire for the 87 octane switch, and left it hanging from the case on the ECU.

I plan on running the chip for the remainder of my half tank of gas, and then I will start measuring my fuel milage. I will probably measure it with premium for about 3 weeks, which allows me time to find a somewhat attractive spst switch. Once the switch is installed, the three weeks are up, and hopefully the ECUtune chip has been fully "learned", I will try running 87 octane. I will, of course, record fuel milage for it as well.

I drove the car twice today, and have not noticed any improvement yet... Kinda sucks, because I was so excited! "Who's ass can I kick if I don't feel any different in a few days?" was the first question to enter my mind.

At the end of the 3 or 4 weeks of running premium, I will Gtech the car. I just used my Gtech a couple weeks ago, so I have something to compare with. I will also use the Gtech after running 87 for a couple of weeks. I will use the same stretch of road, and I will try to do it under similar conditions.

ensteele
05-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Please be sure to post your results here when you get them. I have been interested in what this mod can really do. :) :)

svxthc
05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Keep us posted. I'd love to be able to use 87 and get just as good of gas mileage!

jb21585
05-05-2005, 12:15 PM
I also have been wanting the chip for a while, I would love to know any difference.

immortal_suby
05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Just wait ;) In about a week of driving you should see the full effect.

SVXer95
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Just wait ;) In about a week of driving you should see the full effect.
And not want to switch to 87 mode. :D

Khalil
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
best way to notice the power difference is to drive it around for awhile, then take it out. wow, u will say.

deruvian
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
best way to notice the power difference is to drive it around for awhile, then take it out. wow, u will say.

As quick as it may be remove the ECU and whatnot, I am not planning on doing it anytime soon. Also, I had to cut the tan resistor on the ECU (there was no TSB ROM in the ROM slot). Removing the ECUtune stage 1 chip would be a bad deal, because my ECU would ignore it's internal memory, and read only the ROM slot... Which is empty... Get my point?

WGJ
05-14-2005, 12:02 PM
know it's only been a week but?
WGJ

deruvian
05-14-2005, 12:31 PM
know it's only been a week but?
WGJ

Well, I can feel the power starting to kick in. I notice it mostly on the freeway, actually. Since the chip gives more power in the low-end rather than the top, this makes sense since the SVX is geared so high... I mean, we do have to hit 90+ before the tach reads 3000rpm.

I have only run one tank of gas so far, so I am not ready to hand out MPG numbers yet. But just by judging the speed of the needle (which always appear to accelerate towards "E" :rolleyes: ), the MPG should be about the same.

SVXRide
05-14-2005, 12:46 PM
don't be surprised if the mpg stays the same or goes down a little. The chip improves the bottom end by making the AFR a little richer.
Matt is right - give it time and you'll see even more improvement in performance.
-Bill

SnowPlow
05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
I just wanted to know the big deal on using 87 octane.

I know regular gas is usually cheaper, and may be in most places; but I've noticed that with the ever higher gas prices Super Unleaded 89-92 octane has been the same price if not cheaper.

When the price of gas sky rocketed a month ago, regular gas was actually more expensive all around here (now its the same price). I took a trip from NE North Dakota thru Fargo down to Omaha Neb. and saw similar gas price inversions on the whole trip.

If gas continues to be this expensive is using lower octane going to be cheaper?

BTW high octane gas around here uses ethanol and I was thinking maybe the ethanol was actually cheaper than the gas - yeilding the lowered Super prices.

odepaj
05-15-2005, 01:37 AM
I love my ecutune chip :D , to bad my coils started going bad about a month after I installed it though (the chip had nothing to do with the coils). Does anyone have the chip installed on a '95 car? My '92 seemed to push you back in the seat more than the '95 does, and I was just wondering what the chip would do for a '95 SVX.

dustin

Earthworm
05-16-2005, 11:43 AM
My dad's 95 L has the chip. He's also got 4.11's to my 3.90's so I can't exactly compare the differences in acceleration effectively.