PDA

View Full Version : Nice 5-spd cradle

svxhunter
05-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Finally got a chance to take a few pics. This cradle uses ONLY original SVX mounting points. :D

Here's a few pics on the ground (with a tranny mount for the RS tranny in place)

svxhunter
05-03-2005, 07:03 PM
And here's a few pics installed. BTW, the pipe bends look cool bending around the cats. ;) Just like Subie might have done!

svxsubaru1
05-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Can you please make one for me, i am tired of the small car kit :mad:. Please. If so how much?

Chiketkd
05-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Nice! Looks sturdy and strong.

-Chike

SVXtasy
05-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Can you please make one for me, i am tired of the small car kit :mad:. Please. If so how much?

What problems have you had with the small car kit? i have had a ton.

KCROGUEDOG
05-03-2005, 08:26 PM
cradle looks great did you make from scratch or can it be ordered. or ordered and converted. good job hunter

Subafreak
05-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Nice job, looks like I might have some compitition on the X-member fabbing market :D

I notice you didn't need to notch out the auto X-member to clear the back of the tranny. It dosn't hit at all?

svxhunter
05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
It's made from a combination of stock SVX parts, 1 1/4" iron pipe, and 2" channel.

svxhunter
05-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Nice job, looks like I might have some compitition on the X-member fabbing market :D

I notice you didn't need to notch out the auto X-member to clear the back of the tranny. It dosn't hit at all?

I'm afraid I may have stolen some of your ideas. :eek:

Unfortunately, I don't have your welding talent. That took me a REALLY long time!

Nope, doesn't hit. I thought I had to remove the lowest bolt holding the linkage plate to the back of the tailpiece, but when it was all finished, that wasn't even necessary. It's close- probably around 1/4", but I can't make it hit with any amount of shaking or beating.

Thanks for your help!!

Subafreak
05-03-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm afraid I may have stolen some of your ideas. :eek:

Unfortunately, I don't have your welding talent. That took me a REALLY long time!

Nope, doesn't hit. I thought I had to remove the lowest bolt holding the linkage plate to the back of the tailpiece, but when it was all finished, that wasn't even necessary. It's close- probably around 1/4", but I can't make it hit with any amount of shaking or beating.

Thanks for your help!!

Thats OK, my ideas are for all to share :D I notch all mine just for good measure, plus I'm pretty sure some of the trannies I've used would not clear :confused:

svxsubaru1
05-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Thats OK, my ideas are for all to share :D I notch all mine just for good measure, plus I'm pretty sure some of the trannies I've used would not clear :confused:

So would you be willing to make a 5spd brace? Iam lost have you sold some before to other 5spders?

svxsubaru1
05-04-2005, 12:44 AM
What problems have you had with the small car kit? i have had a ton.

I have had the problems with the drive shaft, and i had alot of problems with exhaust clearnce. But in all honesty i just don't trust those small mounts to take the abuse i can dole out.

svxhunter
05-04-2005, 04:30 AM
So would you be willing to make a 5spd brace? Iam lost have you sold some before to other 5spders?

I'm pretty short on time right now. Subafreak may be able to help you.

Subafreak
05-04-2005, 04:55 AM
I maybe even shorter on time, plus now that my jig car has no motor in it, it makes it really hard to use it as a jig. :rolleyes: Sorry guys, I know there are alot of people that need a good X-member but I just couldn't get the peices to build them and now the motor thing. About all I can do right now is make the peices and send them to you to have a welder put them together :o

svxhunter
05-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Is your design basically the same as mine? I used the front suspension cross brace as the front member, which means the motor clearance was determined at the factory.

svxsubaru1
05-04-2005, 09:22 AM
I maybe even shorter on time, plus now that my jig car has no motor in it, it makes it really hard to use it as a jig. :rolleyes: Sorry guys, I know there are alot of people that need a good X-member but I just couldn't get the peices to build them and now the motor thing. About all I can do right now is make the peices and send them to you to have a welder put them together :o

Iam very fine that, it will give me a excuse to bust out my mig.

blacknite
05-04-2005, 09:44 AM
that is a very nice job, look to me like oem. too bad you are not selling them other wise i will be on the list..... good job to all the svx developers. i wonder what the original designers think about all this upgrades that are been done to the svx???

mbtoloczko
05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Iam very fine that, it will give me a excuse to bust out my mig.

Call up Dave Clark Motorsports in Kent. 425 221-2470. He builds rollcages for track cars and rally cars. He did a great job on my x-member. Pics in my locker under the custom exhaust folder.

mudrat79
05-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey all....I see through this paticular thread that there are several of you needing / wanting this Very nice looking Bracket that SVXHunter and SubaFreak Built.....

I Am currently doing a 5 speed Swap into an SVX for a Customer, And Huck Told me about this Site, and Specifically this thread for bracket Idea's.....I love the Bracket....I built One already for this project.....

I do Custom Subaru Conversions For a Living, And I am willing and Able to add this Bracket to my one of many items I do....

My thought on this Bracket is to do it as Low cost As I can , and To pass that on to anyone who is doing the conversion to their SVX.....

I can Build the Bends and The channel piece drilled For about $30.00 - $40.00 + shipping.....

Doing it this way , The buyer will need to trim down and Weld the pieces into their factory SVX hardware......Any Good Welder Should be able to do this In 1 hr or so.....Someone at home doing it the first time can do it in 1-3 hrs.....But you'll end up with this Nice Looking Factory Looking Part.....

If someone didn't have the Means to weld this up, And wanted to ship me the factory Mounts, I can jig up to do the welding here as well.....and ship back a Complete unit......:eek:

Let me know What you all think.....I don't want To Step on anyones toes..... :o

Talk soon, John

P.S. plug for self, This is My site.....:)
www.oregonoffroadsubaruclub.org

immortal_suby
05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
If someone didn't have the Means to weld this up, And wanted to ship me the factory Mounts, I can jig up to do the welding here as well.....and ship back a Complete unit......:eek:

P.S. plug for self, This is My site.....:)
www.oregonoffroadsubaruclub.org

I think with the number of part outs we are seeing we should be able to bank a few stock mounts and you would be able to do some business with ready to install brackets. From what I have seen only a few people here are really good with welding and those guys would just make their own brackets anyway.

I don't think you're stepping on anyone's toes. We are all just here to improve the svx experience :D

Subafreak
05-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Exactly, You seem to have more time for this custom fabbing thing than anyone else, in fact it seams to be what you do. :D I just don't have the time, and now I don't really have the means :rolleyes: But I say go for it ;) I'm still avalible for full out swaps thoe. :cool:

huck369
05-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Mudrat79 told me he would make the parts for a crossmember like SVXHunters crossmember for $30, but you would have to have them welded to your parts yourself.

His proile is here:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/member.php?userid=3578

He is well know over on the USMB, and is a stand up Suby guy, that has a custom metal fab shop and makes several different things, mostly for the old school subarus.

I recommend getting these parts from him for anyone doing a 5-speed swap, (or those who have a converted SVX with a poor crossmember set-up)

He's got Huck's approval :cool:

mudrat79
05-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks Huck.....And SubaFreak....

I guess I'll post over in the wanted/Sale Section to see what I can Get for donor parts.....

Also , I'll see what I can do to Make a Full Swap Kit similar but better than the Small car Kit.....I am not impressed with it Myself......:(

I'll Keep you posted.....Lol...no post pun intended......:)

John

svxhunter
05-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Mudrat79:

Small car kit: worthless.

Consider pedal assemblies also. As you get into the 5-spd swap, you'll find the pedal assembly needs a little masssaging. Huck used a cable driven clutch, I only know about the hydraulic one (he's a lot smarter than me!). The final product on the pedal assembly ends up being a merge between an SVX assembly and the manual one. There is VERY LITTLE margin for error. Mine came out beautifully, but I could have improved the throttle cable routing slightly.

BTW- I would recommend jig assembling your crossmembers, and selling them finished with a core swap. The only way to weld these together is on a jig, or on the car. The tolerances are very close. If the bends are rotated slightly, they will run into the exhaust. IF the channel is off slightly, it won't mate up to the tranny. When finished, there are 14 connection points to the car that all have to line up, and at least 6 close tolerance areas. Very few welding shops have lifts, and therefore can not weld the pieces on the car easily. If you're a buyer, I would STRONGLY recommend that you buy them assembled, even if they seem expensive.

Good luck, Mudrat79. I pm'ed you about a project I'm working on.

huck369
05-11-2005, 05:28 AM
Thanks Huck.....And SubaFreak....

I guess I'll post over in the wanted/Sale Section to see what I can Get for donor parts.....

Also , I'll see what I can do to Make a Full Swap Kit similar but better than the Small car Kit.....I am not impressed with it Myself......:(

I'll Keep you posted.....Lol...no post pun intended......:)

John

opps....I didn't back up and read all the post, or I'd have seen you had already posted on here.... :o ...but either way, you have my endorsement :)