PDA

View Full Version : Full Bra Q's.

zavikan
04-30-2005, 09:56 AM
I understand that while bras are meant to protect the paint and such, it really doesn't do much. And if it is left on for a long period of time, it would white out the paint (I've seen it too). But I personally LIKE the look of the full bra on the SVX, and my front bumper, front hood area, and the tip of the drivers side fender defenantly need help. Plus, my car was a crash car at some point in its life, and the hood doesn't quiiiiiite line up in the front with both headlights....So having the bra will cover my fender dent, my hood misalign, and the fact that my bumper is only around 80% paint. My question is, does having a full bra on for extended periods of time damage the vehicle in any way other then paint discoloration? what about rust or such?

I would remove the full bra probobly once a week or so, let it dry out. Other then that, I would leave it on all the time.

mile-hi-bri
04-30-2005, 11:39 AM
I've had one on my '92 Teal for about 9 months. I am VERY careful to remove and clean VERY well when I do car washes. NO discoloration or "milking" of the paint! :)
I am painting the car right now, probably won't reuse the full bra w/fresh paint. Really used it for the same reason you are thinking about it(hide front body/paint damage).
I too like the looks, but am going to do a clear bra instead when I get the car back.
If you're interested, I'll sell you mine.
mile-hi-bri - Brian

intellibomb
04-30-2005, 01:48 PM
clear bra?

where would you get one of these?

mile-hi-bri
05-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Any GOOD body shop, detail shop, some car dealerships, etc "do" clear bras.
It is a clear film(3 mil I think) that is "stretched" over the paint surface.
Typically comes in 6", 12" or 18" widths, by the roll. Other sizes availabe, but fairly rare. It gets harder to work w/the wider it is.
The most common product is made by 3M. It is self-sticking and installed "wet"(so you can stretch it and reposition it...) A squeegee is used to squeeze out the soap/water solution, just like applying decals.
I've seen this product on ebay, available for do-it-yourselfers. But be warned, it takes some SERIOUS practice to get a nice install.
Also, it comes in at least two mil thicknesses. 3 and 5 or 6 I think. You do NOT want the thicker. It will "milk" w/time and it just doesn't look as nice. And, it's far more obvious visually.
Excellent product to also do headlights, mirrors, rocker panels etc.
Good luck, mile-hi-bri - Brian :)

ensteele
05-01-2005, 11:34 AM
I had one on my first 93. It was on the car when I bought it and it was there to cover up some bumper paint damage. I had it one for several years, and never had any problems with it or the paint. I was careful to clean and take it off once in a while to make sure there was not dirt or rocks under it. :)

intellibomb
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
i like the idea of a clear bra,
but how do you remove it?
does it leave that nasty sticker decal goo everywhere after?

i would hate to ruin the paint to save a couple of rock chips...

thansk

mile-hi-bri
05-02-2005, 06:00 PM
A clear bra doesn't get taken off. It is "permanent" shall we say. It can be removed(MUCH labor), but there is really no reason to unless it gets damaged from an accident or something like that.
There is a residue left behind, but this is removed w/solvent, and a little elbow grease.
Occasionally the material "yellows", but that should be a warranty situation(their labor now). Not to worry for you.
When I get my car back this weekend, I'll do my bra and try to get some pictures. It is actually pretty hard to see via a camera, but I'll try.
Good luck, mile-hi-bri - Brian

Earthworm
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
When I worked at a sign store we had a special spray that would turn adhesive into jelly. It kinda smelled like oranges.

These invisible bras are the same material used on the sides of our car just in front of the rear tires. (the rock guards)