PDA

View Full Version : Looking for My Pearlie

LarryIII
01-26-2002, 03:24 AM
Wish me luck people. Today, I go to look at what I hope will be my second SVX.

Larry III

montypython
01-26-2002, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by LarryIII
Wish me luck people. Today, I go to look at what I hope will be my second SVX.

Larry III

Larry, were you up all night with excitement (post time 4:24am) or did you just want to get an early start on the day:)
Hope everything goes well for you.

electricfire
01-26-2002, 07:19 AM
Good luck, Larry. Keep us posted.

Tim

Aredubjay
01-26-2002, 01:04 PM
I'm thinking the best for you, old friend. May it be everything you want.

LarryIII
01-26-2002, 02:14 PM
I came, I saw, I decided to pass on this SVX. Mechanically the car seems very, very sound. However, the exterior bodywork needs much work. The exterior has meny dings, little dents, and scrapes.
To do the bodywork properly will cost almost as much $ as the owner wants for the car. It didnot feel right so I passed.
I'll just keep looking. The problem is that not too many '94 Pearlie's were made.

Larry III

Seraph
01-26-2002, 02:29 PM
How much was he asking for it?

lwin

LarryIII
01-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Seraphim
How much was he asking for it?

lwin

$8K.

Larry III

Seraph
01-26-2002, 03:03 PM
On average, how much does the SVX runs for? I have seen 92s as low as 1500 to as high as 8500 and 94s running at 3000 to as high as 10,000.

Am I missing something here?

Lwin

Ron Mummert
01-26-2002, 06:47 PM
OK, Larry, try this one. From the weekend Wash Post -
'92 SVX, AWD, auto(duh),leather, CD, MINT! WHITE! 99K
$6,900 OBO. 703 404-9326. Lemme know if it's worth a look, & I'll take the look for you.
Ron.

LarryIII
02-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Wish me luck people.

Tomorrow I am going to Maryland to check out a Pearly SVX.
Maybe this will be the one.

Larry (HHopeful)iii

Aredubjay
02-22-2002, 03:50 PM
Wish me luck people.

Tomorrow I am going to Maryland to check out a Pearly SVX.
Maybe this will be the one.

Larry (HHopeful)iii

Good luck, Larry. Hope she's the one.

LarryIII
02-24-2002, 06:44 PM
I went down to the Baltimore area yesterday to look at a Pearly SVX. It turned into a mini-meet. SVXsquared was there with his beautiful Pearly . I had my '97 bordeaux pearl there, and even Ron came with his black beauty. I decided against buying Gary's pearly. It just wasn't right for me. Gary's SVX is very very good good inside and out. The mechanicals are also very very good. I would recommend this car to Aredub as a second SVX.

Larry III

LarryIII
02-26-2002, 07:53 PM
This weekend, I'm going to look at a loaded Pearly at a Suby dealer in Limerick, PA (northwest of Phila). This car has 99,000 miles on it, has an ATF filter and an aux. ATF cooler. It's a one owner SVX and was just traded in at the Suby dealer on another car. Does anyone know this car ?

Larry III

Aredubjay
02-26-2002, 10:11 PM
This weekend, I'm going to look at a loaded Pearly at a Suby dealer in Limerick, PA (northwest of Phila). This car has 99,000 miles on it, has an ATF filter and an aux. ATF cooler. It's a one owner SVX and was just traded in at the Suby dealer on another car. Does anyone know this car ?

Larry III

There was a young man from Hell's Kitchen,
Who was moaning and groaning and *****in',
"If I don't get there early,
I won't get my Pearly,
And it *is* for that car that I'm itchin'"

Best of luck in Limerick, Larry!!! :D

Green1995SVX
02-27-2002, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I won't get my Pearly,

Sometimes I wonder how you can come up with this stuff.... :D

-Mike

LarryIII
03-02-2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I won't get my Pearly,

Randy,

Glad I could get your mind off your troubles for a little while at least. Limerick is a town about 25 miles northwest of Phila. There is a nuclear power plant located in the town next to it. Wirh any luck the pearl paint is irradiated so it should glow beautifully in the dark. Wish me luck. I am hopeful.

On another note; I finally found an auto paint shop that's the tops. I am going to have needed cosmetic work done to my bordeaux pearl baby. The shop is in Newark, DE. They do alot of cutom car work. I will have the drivers's side door dings removed and both bumpers done. The earliest appointment that I could get was the second week of April. Subydoo goes in 4/22/02.
This shop has done the million dollar Dusenberg of the CEO of MBNA. He collects cars and has his own auto museum collection.
This shop is not cheap. It is high end.
They do all sorts of body work. I was told they will not do body work on the SVX because parts are a PITA to get.
I asked and was told that to fully paint a pearly properly costs about $4000-$5000. This price does not inlude bodywork.

Second, I was reading the latest issue of Mechanical Engineering Magazine this morning. In it was a Subaru ad for the VDC Outback wagon. The copy was designed to appeal to engineers. It discussed the various VDC sensors and how they work together to eliminate potential driving problems before they become real driving problems. It was interesting to see the obvious spin in this ad.

Finally, nwhen Rosie & I went to see the green '97 SVX, we also test drove a 2002 Outback VDC wagon. We both liked it very much. It now has a switch to shut off the VDC. We did agree that on the color that we liked best on this wagon. It was white pearl of course. I'm facing a bit of a dilema. If I can't find a pearly SVX I will probably get a pearl VDC wagon. BTW: There is an H-6, VDC Outback sedan for 2002. Now if SOA was really smart they would upgrade the Legacy GT by putting the 6 or WRX turbo 4 & tranny in it.

Larry (Let's see SVC or VDC, SVX or VDC, SVX or ....)iii
PS: I wish the Suby marketing guys would forget about using initials for everything.

Green1995SVX
03-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Hey larry-

I had a dream last night that I found a 94 pearlie at a dealer in PA, and I was trying to call you and notify you but I couldnt. Wonder what the subconcious meaning of that is?

-Mike

Aredubjay
03-02-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Hey larry-

I had a dream last night that I found a 94 pearlie at a dealer in PA, and I was trying to call you and notify you but I couldnt. Wonder what the subconcious meaning of that is?

-Mike

It means that you, like I, have this forum too deeply engrained in your everyday life, and that this "community" is as important (or more important) to you than your surrounding physical community. But, that's just a guess. :D

LarryIII
03-03-2002, 05:39 AM
Randy,

I'm impressed. Not only are you a wordsmith, but now I see that you have also become a psycho......logist.

I will not yet report on the resultsof my pearly search yesterday.
I am working on a limerick to explain the result.

Let's see...............

The was a young man from Delaware;
Who yearned for a full head-o-hair.
But alas and alac, it only grows on his back;
So he looks for a pearl under black.

Larry III
PS: The dealership was only 1 1/2 miles downwind from the nuke plant. I gott go back into decomtamination now.

Beav
03-03-2002, 05:45 AM
I'm just wondering why nobody's cracked the seal on the green '97 on ebay.

Beav

LarryIII
03-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Hi all,

The results of my search for a pearl are in the attached poem.

Sorry it took soooooo long to post.
The English teacher suddenly appeared and tossed out words like rhyme, meter, and punctuation.

Larry III

Ron Mummert
03-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Hi all,

The results of my search for a pearl are in the attached poem.

Sorry it took soooooo long to post.
The English teacher suddenly appeared and tossed out words like rhyme, meter, and punctuation.

Larry III

So, Larry.... Is it a '92 or '94 & how many miles on her?
Ron.

Green1995SVX
03-04-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

So, Larry.... Is it a '92 or '94 & how many miles on her?
Ron.

I echo ron's post.

-Mike

Aredubjay
03-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Larry, now that you've found your Pearly, could you please find mine?

Oh, there it is! On the rack in the tranny shop . . . again!!!

Congratulations, Lar.

LarryIII
03-04-2002, 04:30 PM
Hi again,

Here is the data on my Pearly. It is a '92 LSL with the touring pkg.
It has 99,000 miles on it. the car is mechanically sound.
The car is a single owner SVX. The dealership got it on trade-in.

The dealership has to do the following:
1) Reattach the exterior bottom panel on the driver's side door.
2) Make the security system keyfobs work.
3) Replace the passenger side door speaker.

The exterior finish is in very good shape.
The following is a synopsis of what I will have to have painted.
1) There are some stone chips on the front of the hood.
2) The spoiler has chips on the front edge.
3) There are 2 small scrapes on the driver's side of the rear bumper.

That's it.

BTW: The car has Yoko AVS dB's on it. They are about half gone.
They are really quiet.

Larry III
PS: I'm disappointed- I expected some comments on the poem.

LarryIII
03-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Opps, I almost forgot. IMHO I think that I should put new seat covers on the front buckets.

Larry III

svxter
03-04-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi again,

Larry III

I'm sure Don's working on it, somehow. :)

Green1995SVX
03-04-2002, 07:25 PM
So lar...

Will the beautiful naviguesser be piloting one of them to reading? We need to get our car count up! (as if it wasnt already really high)

-Mike

Ron Mummert
03-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Hi again,

Sure... T'was a balding ole man from Nantuckets,
who put zebra seat covers on his buckets...Nah!

Roses are red, violets are blue,
SVXes are rare, but Larry's got two...Naaaah!

Larry's is red, Rosie's is pearl,
Ron's a comic & so's Milton Berle.

By jove, I think I've got it!!!

Rhymin' Ron.

LarryIII
03-05-2002, 05:59 AM
Hi All,

I put a downpayment on the car last Saturday afternoon. On Saturday morning, I signed a contract to have both front and back walkways at the house redone using stone pavers. I took off work Monday. The naviguesser and I had a great time. This morning I went to work, only to find out that DuPont cancelled the project that I was working on. It figures. Now starts the mad scramble to find and get assigned to an active project.

Larry III
(I wonder what the weekly unemployment check is in Delaware)

Aredubjay
03-05-2002, 08:32 AM
Hi All,

I put a downpayment on the car last Saturday afternoon. On Saturday morning, I signed a contract to have both front and back walkways at the house redone using stone pavers. I took off work Monday. The naviguesser and I had a great time. This morning I went to work, only to find out that DuPont cancelled the project that I was working on. It figures. Now starts the mad scramble to find and get assigned to an active project.

Larry III
(I wonder what the weekly unemployment check is in Delaware)

Hate to hear that, Larry. Hope things roll around soon for you.

LarryIII
03-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Randy,

Something did roll. It was my head. I received my notice this morning. My last day is Fri. 3/15/02.
Right now, I'm scrambling.

Larry III

MoreIBNR
03-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Best of luck to you, Larry. Hope you find something quickly!

LarryIII
03-09-2002, 05:51 PM
I brought home my Pearly this afternoon.
I parked "Subydu2 ' ('92 Pearly) next to 'Subydoo' ('97 Bordeaux Pearl LSi) in the garage today. They look great parked side by side. Now I know how Marc & Kyra felt.
The only problem is that it is only a 2 car garage so 'Ah So' ('97 Spruce Pearl Outback) had to be moved out to the driveway and she's ticked. I guess I'll have to get a new 2-car garage built.
The 'Beautiful Naviguesser' noted that the three cars parked side by side are red, white & green which are the same colors of the Italian flag. The Naviguesser's late departed uncle Bruno would have heartily approved.

Larry (3 cars, no job)iii

SSSVX
03-10-2002, 04:57 PM
Congrats, Larry...

but that's not fair to 'Ah So'. :D are you gonna post some pics for
the subydoos.. must be nice...? :)

PS:why larry no job, he's not that old to get retired...:D:):rolleyes:

LarryIII
03-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Bill,

DuPont is cutting back. They are selling off their fiber operations.
They cancelled the project that I was working on. My company is reeling. I was given my layoff notice on Wed. 3/06/02 along with 2 dozen others. My last day is 3/15/02. This is the nature of the business (consulting engineering) that I work in. I have seen this happen before and it will happen again. With God's help, Rosie & I will be ok.

Larry III

LarryIII
03-26-2002, 08:05 PM
I registered my '92 SVX in Delaware today. Initially it flunked the gas cap pressurization test 4 time. Then I went to the recheck lane. I screwed the gas cap into the pressurizing fixture. It passed easily. I had the same problem with my '97 so I knew what to do, It seems the gas cap gasket is rather hard,

The '92 easily passed all other mechanical and pollution tests.

I ordered a vanity plate for the '92.

It will read 'SVXY'.

Larry(I had my teeth pearlized)iii

Ron Mummert
03-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Larry(I had my teeth pearlized)iii [/B][/QUOTE]

Then all that's left is to buy a nice fitting, slick, black "rug", & you'll begin to resemble your car. And they used to say how a DOG & its owner began to resemble each other....sheesh!
Happy motoring - Ron.