PDA

View Full Version : ECUTune Stage III twin screw supercharger sign up

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

longassname
04-14-2005, 01:39 AM
The Stage III twin screw supercharger system prototype has been fabricated and is now operational. We are now looking to manufacture the first production run with a batch size of 4 systems. Details of the system development can be found in a thread in these forums at http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21344 Orders can be placed on the ECUtune website at http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage3.htm

From the feedback we've recieved our current mindset is that the system should be released with a 3 inch pulley generating 6 to 7 lbs of boost. This seems to be the natural ballance where the engine with it's current compression ratio will generate the most power with the most efficiency. The 1600ax supercharger used in the system features only a 1 hp parasitic loss at cruise which means that highway fuel consumption will remain for the most part unchanged despite the ability to generate %40-%50 more power whenever the accelerator is pushed. Since it is a positive displacement system the power is there whenever the pedal is pushed so that true on the street performance and drivability gains are there not just peak hp dyno #'s.

The engine management included with the system has room to grow with the expectation that in the future race minded people will build engines with closed deck blocks and lower compression ratios. We can help anyone interested in doing this. The supercharger is also capable of producing lots of "boost" on an engine which is built for it. The svx engine is for the most part rock solid and can easily built for specificalliy for more boost although the parts to do so are all custom orders.

This thread is for those actually interested in ordering. If you are interested in a system please post your desires and questions here so that we can develop and produce exactly what you want. If you do not genuinely expect to be ordering one of the first 4 systems please utilize a seperate thread and refrain from participating in this one.

Those with obdII SVXii who are interested please join in. You will need to contact me directly before ordering but we will handle your orders as well.

mbtoloczko
04-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm interested, but I need to know much more. I don't want to buy the system, install it, and then find that the car rocks the world at WOT but runs poorly at part-throttle everyday driving. I would also like to know exactly what parts (where applicable, including brand) will be included in the kit. If you could start with the parts list that would be great. As you work on optimizing the system, any info you can post about driveability would be appreciated. Warranty info (manufacturing, driveability) is also important for me. Thanks.

longassname
04-14-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm working on getting the info up on the website today....might as well put it here too :)

Major components of kit:

1) ECUtune memory adaptor and SVX Stage III software
2) ECUtune manifold
3) ECUtune throttle body adaptor
4) ECUtune hard fuel lines
5) ECUtune alternator brackets
6) ECUtune tensioner
7) ECUtune power steering / idler bracket
8) ECUtune AC idler pulley
9) ECUtune throttle body/bypass valve plate
10) Dayco power steering idler pulley
11) Dayco tensioner pulley
12) Whipple 1600AX supercharger
13) Whipple drive snout
14) Whipple bypass valve
15) NISMO SR20 740cc fuel injectors
16) Tomei fuel injector clips
17) Nissan maf meter (used)
18) Tomei Nissan maf meter plug
19) Walboro 255lph fuel pump
20) Outlaw engeneering phenolic spacers
21) Supercharger / power steering belt (Gates or Dayco)
22) AC / alternator belt (Gates or Dayco)
23) Bypass valve hose (Gates or Dayco)

longassname
04-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Every day driving is exactly what the positive displacement supercharger excels at. The power is there whenever you press the pedal. How much power? However far you press the pedal.

mbtoloczko
04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Smooth idle? No off-idle hesitation? No flat spots/hesitation/surging in the powerband during part throttle acceleration?

longassname
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Smooth idle? No off-idle hesitation? No flat spots/hesitation/surging in the powerband during part throttle acceleration?

I don't have the 3" pulley I'm going to release the system with yet so I'm not ready to answer those questions definitively. I don't expect any problems but I'm not one to make unbased claims.

Da'Cheat
04-15-2005, 08:37 PM
At a local subaru meeting here, it was said that this kit would be one hell'ova deal. The kit costs less than the down payment on a wrx :) So for that, get twice the car than the wrx would ever be!

I'm taking out a loan to finish my current truck project. I really thinking about upping that loan by 4kl to make my car kick some butt.

Are there any expected problems with the install? Things that would make your average wrench, scratch his head for an hour wondering where this extra bolt went, sorta thing.

I am VERY interested in this system.
I would like to get some solid numbers when you put that 3" pulley on.

Is there any chance of blowing out a cylinder wall with 7lbs of forced induction?
Will this shorten the life of my engine? *never mind the fact that my foot will be to the floor all the time. Its like that currently*

Lastly, does this system come with any sort of warranty?

longassname
04-15-2005, 09:30 PM
At a local subaru meeting here, it was said that this kit would be one hell'ova deal. The kit costs less than the down payment on a wrx :) So for that, get twice the car than the wrx would ever be!

I'm taking out a loan to finish my current truck project. I really thinking about upping that loan by 4kl to make my car kick some butt.

Are there any expected problems with the install? Things that would make your average wrench, scratch his head for an hour wondering where this extra bolt went, sorta thing.

I am VERY interested in this system.
I would like to get some solid numbers when you put that 3" pulley on.

Is there any chance of blowing out a cylinder wall with 7lbs of forced induction?
Will this shorten the life of my engine? *never mind the fact that my foot will be to the floor all the time. Its like that currently*

Lastly, does this system come with any sort of warranty?

Hmmm, no can't offer any warranties or guarantees on performance equipment; you'll get the standard no liablity disclaimer. You just have to look at the quality of our past products and the work displayed in the development thread and decide for yourself your level of comfort and confidence you'll get a quality product.

I don't think the install should be too bad. You'll get the benefits of my having done it and being able to make up directions saying what order to do things in. Personally I would split it up into a couple seperate weekend projects. I would take one weekend to do the engine management. Install the fuel pump one day and make sure that works. Then install the fuel injectors, maf meter, and software the next day and make sure that works. It's good to split things up like that so if you make a mistake and botch something you know where to look for it and can quickly fix it. Knowing you have the engine management working correctly then you can take a day the next weekend to install the supercharger system.

mikecg
04-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Do I really need to sign up of one?? Shame I cant afford a second one, I'd put it on the 92 5-speed when I finish the tranny. :D

longassname
04-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Do I really need to sign up of one?? Shame I cant afford a second one, I'd put it on the 92 5-speed when I finish the tranny. :D

lol

and other stuff to make 10+ characters

mikecg
04-17-2005, 01:10 AM
lol

and other stuff to make 10+ characters

HUH????????????

longassname
04-17-2005, 02:49 AM
I got it in me to do a little tinkering tonight. I've got it running awfully nicely with 9 lbs of boost now. It'll spin the front tires as it starts out at the 90/10 split with anything more than 3/4 throttle. For those of you that don't know I'm running 8 inch wide wheels with 255 series tires so we're doing pretty well to be able to spin them. I also have the idle cleaned up so that it is now idling strictly off the idle air bypass valves without the throttle cables holding the butterflies open at all. There is no shuffling or surging or anything like that. There is however a good amount of blower rattle. From what I've heard from people I know that have upgraded to twin screw blowers on their lightnings this may just be the nature of the beast. If you run high boost the blower rattles at idle. I guess there just isn't enough air to keep the blower full. I'll check with whipple though and see if maybe improving the bypass valve set up can quiet things down.

mbtoloczko
04-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Since there's no way to add any sort of intercooler with your SC setup, have you thought about add a water injection system? There would probably be no need to pull back any timing, and you could move the a/f ratio closer to the maximum power afr. The simplest systems will trigger at a user-settable boost level and inject a constant amount of water. Even with a simple system like that, I'd bet that you could get another 30-40 HP at 9 psi.

I'd guess that you don't want to add any more cost to the system, but since your system doesn't have any user-accessible knobs on the ECU for tweaking timing and afr, it would be nice to see your system ship with something that addresses heat and is tuned to take advantage of the reduced intake charge temperatures and better burn control.

Here's a place that has very reasonably priced systems:

http://www.coolingmist.com/

longassname
04-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Since there's no way to add any sort of intercooler with your SC setup, have you thought about add a water injection system? There would probably be no need to pull back any timing, and you could move the a/f ratio closer to the maximum power afr. The simplest systems will trigger at a user-settable boost level and inject a constant amount of water. Even with a simple system like that, I'd bet that you could get another 30-40 HP at 9 psi.

I'd guess that you don't want to add any more cost to the system, but since your system doesn't have any user-accessible knobs on the ECU for tweaking timing and afr, it would be nice to see your system ship with something that addresses heat and is tuned to take advantage of the reduced intake charge temperatures and better burn control.

Here's a place that has very reasonably priced systems:

http://www.coolingmist.com/

I haven't pulled out a huge amount of timing or greatly richened the afr. Thanks to the high efficiency of the twin screw charger the intake charge isn't all that hot. Cooler is better but I don't want to tune anything so that if a water bottle goes empty you get detonation. The car still has timing advance routines and if you were to install a water injection system of your own and it was much benefit the software would be able to take advantage of it.

I can't say for sure yet if I'd recomend 9 lbs or 6-7 on the stock engine. I think at this point though that the decision is likely to be based on if you want a quiet idle or blower rattle at idle. I think the tuning of 9 lbs on the stock motor will likely work out.

longassname
04-17-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of the vacuum solenoids being under the manifold. The only reason i kept them there is so that the plugs on the engine harness would reach them. I've got to tell you after 10 years of age these engine harnesses aren't anything precious to be afraid of cutting. What do you guys think of making a mounting bracket to put the solenoids somewhere more accessible and extending the wires. It'll make installation a lot easier and stop you from scratching up your hands putting them where they don't really fit.

Beav
04-17-2005, 03:25 PM
I'd go for it if I were you. The harnesses I've seen are on their last brittle legs anyway. To tell you the truth, I think there's going to be a market for new engine/transmission harnesses in the next few years.

longassname
04-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I'd go for it if I were you. The harnesses I've seen are on their last brittle legs anyway. To tell you the truth, I think there's going to be a market for new engine/transmission harnesses in the next few years.

I aggree. I don't plan on using the old harness when I build the new engine. I don't think the harnesses will just stop working on their own but I think people will bust them into pieces as they start having to pull their manifolds off to replace solenoids and bypass valves (assuming they ever come to accept there is a second bypass valve down there responsible for most of their stalling problems).

Relocating the vacuum solenoids won't just make the installation of the new manifold easier it will make the removal of the old manifold easier too. It'll be easier to get a pair of dikes under there and cut the wires than get your hand around the connectors to unplug them. Might as well cut the vaccum lines too. None of them are any good anymore and the solenoid for the evaporative system is brittle and usually breaks before the hose does.

longassname
04-17-2005, 04:07 PM
HUH????????????

There is a 10 character min for any post so I couldn't just say LOL

longassname
04-17-2005, 04:12 PM

I can tell you right now where the extra bolt goes :D The front drivers side of the manifold. I wasn't willing to disonnect my ac hose and have to vacuum and recharge the system. I think i might have read something about getting it in with some prying in the phenolic spacer thread but I haven't looked into it. It doesn't leak without it so I'm not worried about it. When i change engines I'll have to disconnect my ac. I'll put the bolt in then.

longassname
04-17-2005, 04:28 PM

We can't make any guarantees but it sure doesn't seem like there is any danger. As I'm sure some of the people who have actually torn down an svx engine will jump in here and attest, the engine is massively built to begin with. The crank is ultra supported on lots of bearings. The crank is sturdy and has all the things done to it already that performance shops recomend, knife edged and smooth and all that stuff. The rods are massive and pins are offset so everything rotates nicely. The cyllinder wall would be the weak point if there is one and it doesn't seem like much of a weak point. While the block is about as open as open can get we're using a blower not a turbo so there's no reason the temps should ever get to anything anywhere near threatening warpage. As far as actually breaking. I wouldn't expect that in a million years unless there was massive detonation and this engine just doesn't do that. The compression is high and all that but the knock sensors and ignition retard system are simply awesome. You can loose power easily but you really have to work at it to get pinging, knocking, and detonation.

Da'Cheat
04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
This is all good info to have. Im sold!
Ill be puttering over to the bank this week, get some more cash on that loan im about to take out. Expect my order soon. :)

Motorsport-SVX
04-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Still interested, no real questions other then do you have
to use the phenolic spacers ? Not sure I want to put them
on, and Id consider adding a water injection kit to make up for not having the best gas available and no intercooler option. Works for me....
No hood mods right ? Once I take a look at the pics, it will answer alot of my other questions
thanks Mike

longassname
04-19-2005, 01:12 AM
on, and Id consider adding a water injection kit to make up for not having the best gas available and no intercooler option. Works for me....
No hood mods right ? Once I take a look at the pics, it will answer alot of my other questions
thanks Mike

Ya, the phenolic spacers give us another 1/4 inch of clearance. You need them. No, no messing with the hood.

Jnthn_Sctt
04-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Mike,

I'm interested, but short of funds at the moment. Would likely go with the 6-7 lbs boost. Not racing, but would like the power available.

Jonathan

blacknite
04-23-2005, 10:49 AM
same with me I'm very interested but just short on funds I need about 2 or 3 months at the most... BUt my issue is the 5 speed... plus i want to make rear wheel drive. with a different trany but i need to find out what will fit...

mikecg
04-23-2005, 12:08 PM
same with me I'm very interested but just short on funds I need about 2 or 3 months at the most... BUt my issue is the 5 speed... plus i want to make rear wheel drive. with a different trany but i need to find out what will fit...

I understand a Supar TT tranny is a good match (Good luck finding one) and a 300zx tranny with some minor modds. I dont know first had, but it's what I picked up somewhere. I'd check into before you buy any parts.

TomsSVX
04-23-2005, 12:30 PM
I smell a hijacking, not the thread you wanna do that in. Mike, I would love to purchase this blower system but it wouldn't be for at least another year, Do you see yourself still having them available then?

Tom

longassname
04-23-2005, 12:37 PM
thanks Mike

I think with 7 lbs you'll be fine with 91 octane. Do you have any interest in building an engine? With roundish #'s it looks like $2,500 to $3,000 in parts to build a like new condition long block with the right pistons. I still need to look into the valve train and see what we can do there; with 24 of them the factory parts prices really add up and the factory valve tension seems a little soft to me for higher boost levels.

$900 je forged pistons with offset pins, lightened pins, pin fitting, double pin oilers, contact reduction, and ring sets (repositioned)
$250 gasket set
$250 main bearing set
$250 rod bearing set ($150 for cobb bearings)
$150 oil pump
$100 water pump
? valve springs, seals, lash adjusters, etc

longassname
04-23-2005, 12:50 PM

All i can suggest is rearranging your svx mod priorities. If we don't get the orders for the first batch you won't have the opportunity to purchase the supercharger later. I hope that is clear to everyone that's looking and dreaming of having stage III in the future. If everyone counts on others being the first you just may never get one. We will not produce a batch without orders. We will give mikecg the prototype and that will be that.

mikecg
04-23-2005, 03:15 PM
All i can suggest is rearranging your svx mod priorities. If we don't get the orders for the first batch you won't have the opportunity to purchase the supercharger later. I hope that is clear to everyone that's looking and dreaming of having stage III in the future. If everyone counts on others being the first you just may never get one. We will not produce a batch without orders. We will give mikecg the prototype and that will be that.

So none has contacted you for orders yet?

blacknite
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
whe will be your final date to order it. I KNOW THAT THERE IS SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BUY THEM. JUST LIKE I DO. BUT I NEED SOME TIME. THE TRANY AND WHAT EVER ELSE I NEED TO BUY ARE THERE. BUT THE SUPERCHAGE WON'T. SO WHAT IS THE ANSWER BUY IT KNOW!!!! OR LIVE WITH OUT IT THE REST OF MY LIFE. I'M DOING EVEREYTHING IN MY CONTROL TO GET THE MONEY BUT JUST NEED SOME TIME. SO PLEASE LET US KNOW YOUR DEADLINE....

TomsSVX
04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
What is the problem with waiting? I mean, I understand why you would want to get this off the ground asap but there should not be too much of a hurry on things. I mean cap, if I make enough money this summer, I may be able to buy it by the beginning of August but right now I cannot afford to. I have been following the progress of this project with great interest but if you are gonna leave us high and dry because there are not enough orders in 2 months that would seriously suck for us and for you. Well gotta run i hope to see that you get the orders soon. Hey EARL why don't you pick up 6 or 7 of these kits? that would make Mike all tingly inside? :D

Tom

longassname
04-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm sure Mikecg would be happy to answer that one. We need the system we have now on hand during the fabrication of the production batch. Mikecg is waiting to get his system. Would you like to ask him to wait till the end of summer? ;)

There is no set deadline. I think we'll get the orders but if we don't you will likely hear about it after the fact just because we'll either be fabricating the parts or giving what we have to Mikecg. It's not like we just sprung a rush deadline on people. I made the announcement that we wanted some orders to justify making a batch of manifolds before we even finished the prototype fabrication.

I don't want to rush anyone or spur anyone who can't afford it into purchasing a system. We're just letting those who can afford it and want it to know that now is the time to buy it. We are a small business and have to propperly apply our capital to a limited number of projects not sink all of it into one which will never show an economic profit and only very limited accounting profit.

TomsSVX
04-24-2005, 07:34 PM
thnx for a complete layout of your plans. it is very helpful. Like I said, I hope to be able to buy one of these by then end of summer but I cannot promise anything. I am moving to Philadelphia in august so I will see how things go.

As for the rest of you. If you want this system he is right, don't wait for feedback from others as Mike has proved himself twice with making excellent modifications for our cars so why would this be different. Doing his homework and thinking his projects through he has been able to make us a kit that will be incredible. So please, help him, and many others, by purchasing some of the first kits so they will be available for others later on.

Tom

longassname
04-24-2005, 07:51 PM
thnx for a complete layout of your plans. it is very helpful. Like I said, I hope to be able to buy one of these by then end of summer but I cannot promise anything. I am moving to Philadelphia in august so I will see how things go.

As for the rest of you. If you want this system he is right, don't wait for feedback from others as Mike has proved himself twice with making excellent modifications for our cars so why would this be different. Doing his homework and thinking his projects through he has been able to make us a kit that will be incredible. So please, help him, and many others, by purchasing some of the first kits so they will be available for others later on.

Tom

Philadelphia? With the taxes you'll be lucky to afford food. ;)

mikecg
04-25-2005, 05:18 AM
What is the problem with waiting? I mean, I understand why you would want to get this off the ground asap but there should not be too much of a hurry on things. I mean cap, if I make enough money this summer, I may be able to buy it by the beginning of August but right now I cannot afford to. I have been following the progress of this project with great interest but if you are gonna leave us high and dry because there are not enough orders in 2 months that would seriously suck for us and for you. Well gotta run i hope to see that you get the orders soon. Hey EARL why don't you pick up 6 or 7 of these kits? that would make Mike all tingly inside? :D

Tom

2 Months!! This thing has been in the planning stages for a year. 7 Months of development. I paid for mine at the end of August last year. I have been exstremly patient. I agreed to give ECUTune a little long even though the proto-type is done, because I know they will be losing money if they cant sell more. It's hard to give up $5000 for something and waiting this long for it. Everyone know it was coming and if you were serious about it you could have started saving up. I've managed to put away enough to pick up another SVX and do a manual conversion on it plus an extra $2000 saved up for some boby parts and eventually a paint job. I know some of you are in school and make less then me, but you could have put a little away each month.

blacknite
04-25-2005, 10:57 AM
I Guess We All Have Different Situation. People I'm Sure Have Save Up The Money. And Emergencys Happend. But I Don't Care About Numbers I Care About Getting It. When In The Las 4 Months You Buy A New Tranny,clutch, Motor Mounts. Radiator Just Broke, Just Bought A House, Girl Got Sick, Mother Getting Married. Need To Buy Another Car Because Svx Is Not Running Because Of Radiator... And I Can Go On... But I Need To Make The Money To Buy The Supercharge!!!!!!!!

TomsSVX
04-25-2005, 11:09 AM
This is a sign up thread, we really shouldn't be talking about this here. sorry for getting off topic.

Tom

longassname
04-25-2005, 05:40 PM
I was just explaining one of the reasons the twin screw blower far outperforms a turbo system for street use on the svx and thought I'd share it here--particularly since Mychailo had asked about every day driving performance. The #'s I used in the example i was making are rough estimates for 5 or 6 lbs instead of 6 or 7 just because we were discussing what if's with 91 octane and 100+ temps.

I don't think you'd have any problems running 7 lbs on our kit there. If you did you'd just have to go down to 6 lbs or 5 lbs which you could do in 10 minutes with a $40 pulley. Remember with the positive displacement blower even if you went down to 5 or 6 lbs you wouldn't just be getting a 40% increase in peak power. Right at throttle you'd be getting a 40% of 100% ve increase plus the difference between the factory volumetric efficiency which is pretty low at low rpms and 100% volumetric efficiency. I don't have the ve curve in front of me right now but let's just pick a # and say it's 80%. The increase from 80% ve to 100% ve is a 25% increase. The 40% of 100% ve is a %50 increase. That's a 75% increase in the most important part of the power band where a turbo will give you little or nothing.

longassname
04-25-2005, 05:42 PM
We haven't received the check yet so nothing is guaranteed but we have recieved the first promise that a check is on the way. That's one of two. Mychailo, where are your thoughts now?

mbtoloczko
04-25-2005, 06:20 PM
We haven't received the check yet so nothing is guaranteed but we have recieved the first promise that a check is on the way. That's one of two. Mychailo, where are your thoughts now?

Michael,... All kinds of thoughts going thru my head right now! :-) I just spent $7k putting in a new fence at my rental property. Could have been better spent on an S/C. :-) More seriously though, the kit looks very promising, but after thinking about it, it would be a bad financial move for me to buy your S/C right now. The wife would have my head! Plus, I'd want to have the afr and timing map optimized for water injection, and I'm not sure you're willing to do that.

longassname
04-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Michael,... All kinds of thoughts going thru my head right now! :-) I just spent $7k putting in a new fence at my rental property. Could have been better spent on an S/C. :-) More seriously though, the kit looks very promising, but after thinking about it, it would be a bad financial move for me to buy your S/C right now. The wife would have my head! Plus, I'd want to have the afr and timing map optimized for water injection, and I'm not sure you're willing to do that.

I hear ya,

As far as the optimizing for water injection it's not that I'm not willing it's that I don't think there really is such a thing. I'll make whatever the demand is for. Thus far in my revisions of the ignition timing for the svx , this means all of my work on the svx not stage III, I have found the best policy is to be conservative with the timing. It takes more timing retard to stop detonation than you would have to take out not to have it to begin with. I have never added any ignition timing to any of the base maps in any svx software. I found that I can add it to the revision table and the active knock system effectively adds it in where it can. On the other hand when timing needs to be taken out I take it out of the base ignition table. If I take too much out in an area then the active advance seek effectively adds it back in. I haven't done any adjusting of the ignition tables for stage III yet but I'm pretty sure I won't be taking much timing out and what little I may take out the active ignition advance system can put back in. As for the afr I am expecting to run an afr very much like the one in stage 1. Again the whole idea behind this engine management system is it can handle any changes you make to your engine hardware as long as you aren't exceeding or degrading the abilities of the engine management system. Once you have a stage III you can go and do whatever changes you want to the engine that won't exceed 550hp and the engine management will handle it fine.

longassname
04-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Again, no check yet so nothing is %100 definite but I've received the 2nd commitment.

mbtoloczko
04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
I expect that my finances will be in good order by the end of the year, so maybe we can talk a little more about optimizing the maps for water injection at that time if you are still in the S/C business. I hope that you are.

Motorsport-SVX
04-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah Mike
I mentioned the water injection idea a while ago, and you didnt really respond. I think its a good idea just because
of our heat and elevation in Az, so not sure if its for
everyone.
You think you would have to re-map a chip for it ?
I figured you could leave it alone, because someone
may be using it, you tell us.
Seriously, if I didnt have my Soarer, Id be all over this mod for an Svx. But the Soarer pretty much fills the craving of needing to go fast whenever I need it.

mbtoloczko
04-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Its not required to remap the ecu when water injection is installed, but a remap will improve HP and fuel economy because the afr can be put right on top of the max power afr (vs running a bit on the rich side), and the timing can be advanced a bit. This is all relative to a boosted motor that's been highly tuned without water injection.

longassname
04-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Yeah Mike
I mentioned the water injection idea a while ago, and you didnt really respond. I think its a good idea just because
of our heat and elevation in Az, so not sure if its for
everyone.
You think you would have to re-map a chip for it ?
I figured you could leave it alone, because someone
may be using it, you tell us.
Seriously, if I didnt have my Soarer, Id be all over this mod for an Svx. But the Soarer pretty much fills the craving of needing to go fast whenever I need it.

No, as I was saying you can do whatever hardware changes you want and they shoiuld be handled well.

Myxalplyx
04-29-2005, 02:29 PM
2 Months!! This thing has been in the planning stages for a year. 7 Months of development. I paid for mine at the end of August last year. I have been exstremly patient. I agreed to give ECUTune a little long even though the proto-type is done, because I know they will be losing money if they cant sell more. It's hard to give up $5000 for something and waiting this long for it. Everyone know it was coming and if you were serious about it you could have started saving up. I've managed to put away enough to pick up another SVX and do a manual conversion on it plus an extra $2000 saved up for some boby parts and eventually a paint job. I know some of you are in school and make less then me, but you could have put a little away each month.

Hey Mike,

I'm glad to have met you even though it was brief and only once. I already have some $$$ stashed away and I don't even own an SVX. I fell in love with yours. Remember me asking you about selling it? So, I'll wait a year or two....or three until you get tired of that 'boring' SVX with gobs of power. Then you can sell it to me. :p That's if I don't own a Forester XT by then.

mikecg
04-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey Mike,

I'm glad to have met you even though it was brief and only once. I already have some $$$ stashed away and I don't even own an SVX. I fell in love with yours. Remember me asking you about selling it? So, I'll wait a year or two....or three until you get tired of that 'boring' SVX with gobs of power. Then you can sell it to me. :p That's if I don't own a Forester XT by then.

You mine in about 5 years? After I finish building the SVX with the S/C EG33, 6-speed, custom paint w/ custom interior. By the time I'm done you'll be looking at 30 Grand for me to even consider selling. However I might sell a 92 with a 5-speed in about 2 or 3 years. I'm trying to finish it up for a daily driver right now.

(Sorry for the temparary highjack)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

We got any takers yet? I understand ECUTune only needs one more order and times running out.

TomsSVX
04-29-2005, 09:08 PM
i just mailed out my intake and fuel rails today? does that count for anything?

longassname
04-30-2005, 01:06 PM
i just mailed out my intake and fuel rails today? does that count for anything?

Yes it does. Let us hope the others have been as prompt. I have a feeling they haven't. The 5th is coming up fast here and it takes time for things to ship. I guess I better write back the other people who asked about the deal for the manifolds and fuel rails and make sure they shipped them. I can't wait and hope they get here in time for fabrication. If they don't get them shipped the begining of the week they aren't going to get the deal. I'll have to order them from salvage yards. Amazing how people would rather let stuff rot in the garage than put it to good use. There are a lot of extra manifolds and fuel lines out there because they are non wear parts. They are essentially worthless because obody has any use for them except for me. Why is Tom the only one who has shipped yet?

longassname
04-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Its not required to remap the ecu when water injection is installed, but a remap will improve HP and fuel economy because the afr can be put right on top of the max power afr (vs running a bit on the rich side), and the timing can be advanced a bit. This is all relative to a boosted motor that's been highly tuned without water injection.

You keep assuming that I will be "highly tuning" the software on my car. I'm not doing that just like Subaru doesn't "highly tune" the software on each car that rolls off the assembly line. If I "highly tuned" the software on my car and then put it on someone elses car it wouldn't work. I propperly tune the software on my car so that it will work correctly on any SVX in any atmospheric condition.

mbtoloczko
05-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Yep, I was thinking that you were going to tune more on the conservative side. If the Stage III sales get off the ground, it would be great if you could eventually have a ecutek-style service for people who want to make additional mods to their Stage III.

TomsSVX
05-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Hey, can I get that credit for stage II instead of stage I? I think that may be in my near future more than a stage III. 1/4 mile runs will soon blow up my transmision. :D

Tom

longassname
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
We've received payment for one of the two promissed orders now.

longassname
05-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Sure, why not.

Hey, can I get that credit for stage II instead of stage I? I think that may be in my near future more than a stage III. 1/4 mile runs will soon blow up my transmision. :D

Tom

TomsSVX
05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
awsome, you can expect my order for that in about a week or 2

Tom

mikecg
05-02-2005, 06:47 PM

Have you gotten enough interest for the first run?

Weasel 22
05-04-2005, 08:09 PM
awesome, who was the first to order? as in guinea pig? :D I'll be in if it proves itself well..seems like it will

longassname
05-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, assuming everyone who says they have money on the way really does.

Have you gotten enough interest for the first run?

mikecg
05-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Yes, assuming everyone who says they have money on the way really does.

Yippy!!!!!! :D

Duckie
05-05-2005, 11:20 AM
I can smell my super charger already :D

mikecg
05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Now the only question is how long for the production unit. :cool:

longassname
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm going to jump into it with both feet next week. I'm going to try my best to have the fabrication part done by the 15th so I don't end up doing the back and forth thing again. It will take a little longer to get all of the supporting compenents in stock to complete the kits and ship them. We supposedly have 3 definites now so that means the batch of 4 we are putting in is spoken for. Anyone who's contemplating should decide before i put the batch in or will have to wait for the next batch.

Now the only question is how long for the production unit. :cool:

Duckie
05-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Mwahaha, and btw I will be having my car dynoed after it is put on...so I might be spoiling everyone with some nice Dyno sheets ;)

Earthworm
05-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Mwahaha, and btw I will be having my car dynoed after it is put on...so I might be spoiling everyone with some nice Dyno sheets ;)What are you doing for a tranny?

Duckie
05-05-2005, 05:07 PM
For now auto, so no specs for a 5/6 speed. Sorry hehe

Weasel 22
05-05-2005, 07:38 PM
one thing to remember is ..your SVX will need its motor in tip-top shape..not to mention the tranny as well.. is why I'll wait til both are fresh on mine before I hasten their demise with the S/C

Phast SVX
05-05-2005, 08:14 PM
one thing to remember is ..your SVX will need its motor in tip-top shape..not to mention the tranny as well.. is why I'll wait til both are fresh on mine before I hasten their demise with the S/C
hmmm 37k motor and 9k tranny.... sounds like i need some forced air :D
phil

Weasel 22
05-05-2005, 09:19 PM
hmmm 37k motor and 9k tranny.... sounds like i need some forced air :D
phil
indeed..you are prime material! :D

Duckie
05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Awww you forget I have a 95 SVX ready to donate a tranny and or an engine if need be =)

Weasel 22
05-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Awww you forget I have a 95 SVX ready to donate a tranny and or an engine if need be =)
Right You Are Ken... :D

TomsSVX
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
kewl, this means there will be more S/C SVXi in the future(maybe mine if I am lucky) good news mike. BTW did u ever get that manifold and fuel rails I sent u?

Tom

longassname
05-06-2005, 01:29 PM
yep, thanks

kewl, this means there will be more S/C SVXi in the future(maybe mine if I am lucky) good news mike. BTW did u ever get that manifold and fuel rails I sent u?

Tom

TomsSVX
05-06-2005, 01:58 PM
good

Tom

longassname
05-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Well I'm down here working on it.

I've got the machine shop making the new and improved tubes for bolting the supercharger up to the manifold. Instead of stock tubing used in the prototype the production manifolds will have tubes machined just the way I want them. They will be bigger around with a smaller bolt hole and have a recess in the top so that the socket head bolts we will be using (allen heads) sit flush inside of the tubes instead of bolt heads on top.

I revised the pulleys for the alternator and ac. We machined the pulley i had taken the ribs off of down to 50mm and added it as a second pulley on the back of the factory bracket along side the original pulley with the ribs still on it. This reroutes the belt for better clearance around the bump on the timing cover. A 6202 bearing was used in the pulley to begin with due to it's narrowness so it's already good for the higher rpms the pulley will spin now that it's 50mm instead of 70.

I also determined I can forgoe the add on bracket for the lower additional idlers for the supercharger belt along with those idlers. We're machining a small diameter smooth pulley to go on the same assembly the factory idler does. This makes installation easier, reduces parasitic drag, shortens the belt, and gets everything back up above factory height to avoid clearance problems with the fan. I was considering using two 6901 bearings in place of the 6301 bearing to maintain longevity at the higher rpms the smaller pulley will be spinning but after doing the math determined we can stick with a 6301. We are using skf bearings and this size bearing from them is dependable at speeds of 22,000 rpms which makes us good for 7300 engine rpms.

I'll know better shortly but I think I have clearance to step up to 6 rib pulleys and a 6 rib belt. If I can get a good price on machining a crank pulley and alternator pulley with 6 ribs would you guys be interested?

Duckie
05-11-2005, 12:17 PM
*ponders*

What would be the exact effects of the 6 rib

Earthworm
05-11-2005, 02:49 PM
20% more pleasure? :D

umm, probably 20% less chance of slipping.

Duckie
05-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Arent those the same things ;)

Hmm, yeah id probably be interested

longassname
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
I put in the custom machined idler for the power steering and supercharger belt which let me get rid of the extra bracket for the extra idlers. I'm very happy with it. This is definitely 100% set for the production run so I'll put the order in with the machine shop when I pick up the manifold bolt tubes.

I have a couple more manifolds on the way and a couple more promised to be on the way shortly. When they all get here we'll start with cutting them up and the manifold fabrication.

longassname
05-15-2005, 10:40 PM
eh, the double idler idea for the ac/alternator belt sounded and looked good unfortunately it didn't work so well. The idea of the second pulley was in order to improve the clearance for the belt. The original single smooth pulley setup i came up with for that belt worked well and I've gone back to it. I was hoping to use a bolt on part to increase the clearance to what I want for the production run so I didn't have to collect ac idler brackets but no sense getting into excessive engineering to avoid finding half a dozen brackets. AC idler brackets are now added to the list of factory parts that will be needed in exchange for modified parts. We're nipping about 1/4 off a spot in the back.

So now the production run belt setup is done.

longassname
05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
I guess this is about as good a place as any to post this. Anyone that has extra ac idler brackets (complete with 4 rib idler pulley) I'm interested in purchasing them.

TomsSVX
05-15-2005, 10:45 PM
cool. I am so glad to hear that stage 3 is off the ground legitimatley. Although I am unsure of when I would be able to buy one because I would never buy it with a 5mt still in the car. I would be breaking transmissions left right and center 3 times a day. :rolleyes:

Tom

immortal_suby
05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I guess this is about as good a place as any to post this. Anyone that has extra ac idler brackets (complete with 4 rib idler pulley) I'm interested in purchasing them.

I have one on the engine in my garage. It came from the used engine I bought so I have no idea how the bearing is.
Can you replace the bearing if it is bad?

TomsSVX
05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Mike, I guess I didn't trash the powersteering bracket like I thought. I found it today while i was looking for a sensor that someone needed. Let me know if u still want it.

TOm

SVXer95
05-16-2005, 07:54 PM
I have one on the engine in my garage. It came from the used engine I bought so I have no idea how the bearing is.
I have one as well. Bearing was a bit noisy, that is why I took it off. PM me.

longassname
05-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Nope, I don't need the power steering brackets anymore but I do need the ac idler brackets now. Got one of those?

Mike, I guess I didn't trash the powersteering bracket like I thought. I found it today while i was looking for a sensor that someone needed. Let me know if u still want it.

TOm

longassname
05-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Ya, I can replace the bearing.

immortal_suby
05-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Ya, I can replace the bearing.

I'll send it along with the engine mounts.

longassname
05-16-2005, 09:08 PM
I'll send it along with the engine mounts.

Awesome, thanks.

TomsSVX
05-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Nope, I don't need the power steering brackets anymore but I do need the ac idler brackets now. Got one of those?

Sorry none of those

Tom

longassname
05-24-2005, 11:41 AM
I thought I would give a little update. I have nothing to report and yet a lot to report at the same time. I haven't gotten any more actual fabrication done since I posted about finishing the final pulley prototypes. What I have been doing is setting up shop. That's right, instead of getting most of the work outsourced we're setting up a machine shop complete with a press, brake, shear, drill press, mill, lathe, bandsaw, ac/dc stick welder, & Tig welder. We'll have the complete shop set up soon and then we'll be able to do everything in house. This will both improve fit and finish while greatly speeding up operations--every slow down we've ever had has been do to waiting for outsourced work.

We've got a pretty good selection of manifolds now so I think we're good there. We could still use some more fuel lines and ac idler brackets with pulleys.

Duckie
05-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Sounds great, cant wait to see mine and get it on my car =)

McTaff
05-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Excellent work.

I guess, like most people, I really want to see both videos (with sound of course!), and dyno readings with "before" and "afters". All things in time... all things in time...

I'd just like to thank Mike for all his hard work in setting this up, we all owe him some kudos for bringing the SVX up in profile.

I will be saving my pennies for one of these kits.

immortal_suby
05-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Sent out the AC idler bracket today. Sorry it took so long.

Duckie
06-03-2005, 11:08 AM
*Can hardly contain his excitement as he awaits an update on the making of the first 4 =)*

longassname
06-04-2005, 01:22 PM
*Can hardly contain his excitement as he awaits an update on the making of the first 4 =)*

Actually I think we have 6 manifolds and I'll go ahead and do all of them since we are now doing them in house. We're still short on fuel lines and ac idler brackets; anybody that has extras still please contact me.

We haven't set the shop up yet but it looks like we are signing the lease for our commercial space on Monday for two bays. The metalworking "tools" have already been ordered and the equipment has already been sourced, chosen, and verified in stock. We'll be getting a truck on thursday to pick up the new equipment and bring it along as we move up our current equipment, engines, parts, and stock. I'm sorry for the delay in fabrication but I think it will pay off many fold in being able to fabricate everything without waiting on outside shops. You've all seen my work ethic; if i can sit down and plug away at it everything will get done with a quickness and the quality will be higher.

Does anyone have any reservations about running higher boost? I don't seem to be having any problems with 9 lbs.

Motorsport-SVX
06-04-2005, 01:32 PM

I may have one, post a pic so I know we are referring to the correct pcs
Generally the more ribs = less belt slippage, correct ?
We do alot of updgrades from 6 to 8 rib pulleys on Mustangs. Less chance
of smelling the belt burning under the hood from slipping. And more boost
of course

longassname
06-04-2005, 01:52 PM
It's the black cast iron bracket, held on by 3 bolts, with a 4 rib pulley on a swing arm with a 17mm hex for tensioning. This particular part has nothing to do with the # of ribs on the supercharger belt. This belt will only drive the ac compressor and alternator; since the ac compressor only has 4 ribs that's what we are limited to on this belt.

We could make new pulleys and up the # of ribs on the supercharger belt but there doesn't seem to be any need to on the base kit. At 9 lbs of boost we aren't even close to having any slippage with our current belt set up. We've got that very nicely squared away using a standard 5 rib belt and a custom pulley in the stock location.

I may have one, post a pic so I know we are referring to the correct pcs
Generally the more ribs = less belt slippage, correct ?
We do alot of updgrades from 6 to 8 rib pulleys on Mustangs. Less chance
of smelling the belt burning under the hood from slipping. And more boost
of course

Duckie
06-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't have any problems running 9 pounds :eek: :D

mikecg
06-04-2005, 04:56 PM
9 pounds, hmmmmmm, ya I dont think I'll have a problem with more power........

Well, except for the high tire wear and increase in speed tickets that I have a feeling will be a hidden feature of the stage 3. :D

Duckie
06-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Mike is my kinda guy :)

And as I said in the other thread. You will get dyno results from me, and hopefully video as well.

TomsSVX
06-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Mike, Just oicked up a new motor for my 5mt as mine went to crap for some ungodly reason. I have a bucnh of extra parts I will let u know whta I can send after I finish the swap. A/C brackets and fule lines should be no problem.

Tom

McTaff
06-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Mike, Just oicked up a new motor for my 5mt as mine went to crap for some ungodly reason. I have a bucnh of extra parts I will let u know whta I can send after I finish the swap. A/C brackets and fule lines should be no problem.

Tom

Does anyone get the feeling Tom is excited about picking up his new engine?
From the way he's typing today it looks like he's desperately itching to get a spanner in his hand...

On to the real reason, I have some bits and peices from a front cut I aquired some time ago. I'll hunt through there and see if I can find the AC idler bracket in there (if it's still there!)

Latest wish list, Mike?

longassname
06-05-2005, 11:59 AM
fuel lines and ac idler bracket complete with pulley.

Does anyone get the feeling Tom is excited about picking up his new engine?
From the way he's typing today it looks like he's desperately itching to get a spanner in his hand...

On to the real reason, I have some bits and peices from a front cut I aquired some time ago. I'll hunt through there and see if I can find the AC idler bracket in there (if it's still there!)

Latest wish list, Mike?

TomsSVX
06-05-2005, 01:38 PM
I already have the new engine. :) Anyway I do not see why I would not be able to part with these items as I have just started to take apart the new motor to prep it for my car. Once I get the swap done I will mail out the new lines and a/c bracket with pulley. the only thing that is missing is the nut for the pulley, somehow it got lost at the yard or someone took it off the engine. I really have the way they took care of this motor, They punched a hole and bent the crap outta the oil pan with the fork lift as they didnt use chains of straps, just picked it up. Anyway I have 2 extra pans so I am not too concerned.

Tom

Jnthn_Sctt
06-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Does anyone have any reservations about running higher boost? I don't seem to be having any problems with 9 lbs.

Never a problem running more power. Just want to be sure it's reliable for a daily driver, and numerous trips a year of 1000+ miles at a shot.

Jonathan

(Being able to fit the engine cover over the supercharger would be a nice little touch to keep the, "STOCK" look. ;) But would rather have the S/C than the cover if it's, "One or the Other" )

Duckie
06-06-2005, 01:44 AM
I was also wondering about the engine cover, or maybe a custom cover could be created if the stock one wont fit.

longassname
06-12-2005, 12:38 PM
I was also wondering about the engine cover, or maybe a custom cover could be created if the stock one wont fit.

I think you mean the throttle body cover, right? I'll see what I can do about that. I have some ideas.

I moved up the equipment, tools, supplies, and parts from Miami yesterday. I haven't exactly set up the shop yet but everything is up here and unloaded now. During the week i'll start posting some pictures of the shop and by the week end I'll start posting pictures of progress again. Since we're doing all the work ourselves you'll get to see your actual parts being fabricated from begining till end.

longassname
06-17-2005, 09:09 PM
I've got the shop mostly set up now. I definitely need another air conditioner though. The one i had running today just wasn't cutting it and the heat really took it out of me. I'll have to start my day out tomorrow with procuring another ac. I'm still missing the stand for the mill but I think I can get that in town tomorrow too. With the ac working and the mill set up I'll be ready to start working on the manifolds.

I'm going to use the mill instead of abrassive wheels to take out the bottom sections of the manifold this time and instead of cutting out an 8" wide section from the middle of the manifold I'm only going to take out the section that is covered by the black strip. The new plan is to leave the flange for the throttle body on the manifold. This will let us keep the throttle body cover. To accomplish this I will be moving the supercharger forward to get space to bring the air down from the outlets of the throttle body flange to the intake flange of the supercharger. The section i replace the black strip with will be raised rather than follow the countour of the rest of the manifold in order to supply a good output path from the discharge port of the supercharger.

Subafreak
06-17-2005, 09:38 PM
I may have an AC "tensioner" assembly for you too. I'll look in the trailer when I get a chance.

Yeah, got my Stg. II V.II today, thanks man. Now I just need to get it in the ECU tommorrow so I can hit the strip Sunday and get some true comparison numbers. :cool:

You seem to be diving into this project head on. Well.....as you have with the V. I and II. I was just thinking as I hinted in another thread, have you considered the possibility of creating a S.C. kit for the EZ30? It may not be far off from what yuor all ready doing and it would open you up to a whole new level, with a much broader market to help you continue to support the SVX community. :cool:

longassname
06-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Actually the difference with the stageII v2 is the non nitrous code. The nitrous code is the same.

I may have an AC "tensioner" assembly for you too. I'll look in the trailer when I get a chance.

Yeah, got my Stg. II V.II today, thanks man. Now I just need to get it in the ECU tommorrow so I can hit the strip Sunday and get some true comparison numbers. :cool:

You seem to be diving into this project head on. Well.....as you have with the V. I and II. I was just thinking as I hinted in another thread, have you considered the possibility of creating a S.C. kit for the EZ30? It may not be far off from what yuor all ready doing and it would open you up to a whole new level, with a much broader market to help you continue to support the SVX community. :cool:

Subafreak
06-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Actually the difference with the stageII v2 is the non nitrous code. The nitrous code is the same.

Yeah, I know that silly. :D I havn't done any bottle runs yet but I did get to run my six speed on the V. I a few weeks ago.

This Sunday I plan to do a couple of N/A runs and then go for the bottle. (after 3,000 RPMs that is.) ;)

TomsSVX
06-17-2005, 10:17 PM
This Sunday I plan to do a couple of N/A runs and then go for the bottle. (after 3,000 RPMs that is.) ;)

Let's shoot for that goal everytime :D

Tom

Subafreak
06-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Good idea. ;)

longassname
06-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I got the 2nd ac and installed it today. I wasn't able to get the stand for the mill. I think i can use it's crate for a stand for the time being. It's pretty sturdy and it looks like i can get the mill unbolted without tearing the crate up then use the engine hoist with a lifting strap to get it out.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/mill.jpg

We've got a pretty good collection of manifolds to work on. I'm going to do one first since we're making significant changes. Soon as it works out ok we'll do the other 6 so we'll have some on the shelf ready to go. Also, soon as I'm done with the one the current prototype will be off the car so you aircraft guys who have been following this and called me you may want to call me again and get the original prototype from me.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/manifolds.jpg

I've got a pic of the bandsaw too so might as well include it--we'll be using it soon enough. This is what I'll be using to cut the center strip out of the manifolds after i mill out the underside seperations. Next time you see it it will be tearing through a manifold.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/bandsaw.jpg

TomsSVX
06-19-2005, 08:47 AM
way to stay on top of things mike. It is huge that you are taking things into your own hands for the metal work. Anyway, shoot me a pm w/ ur adress again and I will ship out some fuel lines and ac tensioner brackets. Are you sure you don't need anything else? well good job and keep up the good work.

Tom

longassname
06-20-2005, 08:41 PM
I had to drive to ft myers to get it but I did get the stand for the mill today.

longassname
06-22-2005, 12:09 AM
and today i got the mill set up and ups delivered the tools for the lathe and the end mills and bits for the mill. Tomorrow I'll start working on the manifolds and sometime later this week our tig welder will show up.

longassname
06-23-2005, 07:59 PM
I started work on the manifolds today. I decided it's better to go ahead and cut out the whole center section like I did before. This will let me weld in the undersections for each side seperately and then weld in the flanges and top with the manifold bolted to the engine for perfect alignment. I'm still moving the supercharger forward and reusing the throttle body flange--going to incorporate it back in later and make it all tie in nicely with the trottle body cover. I decided to do 5 in this batch.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1454.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1457.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1461.jpg

mikecg
06-24-2005, 04:58 AM
I call dibs on the pretty black one. :D

TomsSVX
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I didn't send you a black one did I?? I thought it was still silver. anyways, as soon as i get off my arse when I have some free time i will ship out the bracket and fuel lines

Tom

longassname
06-24-2005, 09:13 PM
I removed the seperations from the outside sections of one of the manifolds today. I had to do it all with the mill because we are still without an air compressor. It took forever. I really need to be doing a combination of cutting out pieces with an abrassive wheel and milling out the rest. The air compressor I want is on back order and apparantly is going to remain on back order for a few more weeks so I guess I'll buy one in town that I can settle for.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1463.jpg

jsvxstyle
06-25-2005, 10:12 AM
could you send back my pearl manifold, when done. for the black one it looks nice ill miss that one.

longassname
06-26-2005, 08:48 PM
I found a compressor I could settle for yesterday and installed it today along with the outlet for the tig welder.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1471.jpg

longassname
06-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Here's Mike's manifold in the works (the black one).

In this picture I've removed the seperations of this side with an abrassive wheel and the mill.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1472.jpg

In this one I've ground out and smoothed out the rest with a flap wheel and then chamfered the airpassages nicely with a die grinder.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1474.jpg

This one is the other side in the same condition.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1482.jpg

SVXRide
06-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Michael,
What are you doing with all the "guts" that are attached to the bottom of the intakes (IRIS valve, etc.)? You're not just throwing them away, are you?
-Bill

TomsSVX
06-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I stripped my manifold before sending it. I dunno about everyone else.

Tom

immortal_suby
06-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Tom

:o oops - I didn't think of that.

TomsSVX
06-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Mike the second set of fuel lines are in the mail along with the A/C tensioner bracket and pulley

Tom

longassname
06-30-2005, 09:33 PM
UPS delivered our press brake today so I drove down to ft myers and picked up the shop press to put it in. Normally a press brake is it's own unit and either is operated by handles and can't bend very big metal or is operated by electronically controlled hydrallic rams and costs several tens of thousands of dollars. This one is very cool and goes inside of our 40,000 pound shop press letting us bend sheet metal up to 1/2 thick steel plate. Personally I think it's brilliant. This is what we will be using to bend the pieces of sheet for the manifolds when we're done cutting and grinding.

Here's the shop press.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1483.jpg

And here's the press brake.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1484.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1485.jpg

longassname
07-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Haven't brought the camera with me the last couple of days but the tig welder came yesterday and I've finished cutting out the seperations with the abrassive wheel. I still have to take care of getting a tank of argon and getting the steel for the altermator brackets and a work bench but asside from that we now have all the equipment in place to finish the project.

Since we are set up to do everything now I expect things to roll along nicely and the only delay I can forsee is a short wait for a different length drive snout after we figure out what length we want for this new design. I can probably take advantage of that time to make the pullies on the lathe or mill the alternator brackets.

longassname
07-03-2005, 11:40 PM
I finished the prep of the manifold sections today.

This picture is of the 4 I hadn't previously finished after I cut out and milled out the seperations.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1487.jpg

This picture is of all five of this batch completely prepped, having been ground and chamfered.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1496.jpg

TomsSVX
07-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Tom

Jnthn_Sctt
07-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Mike,

Have you determined what amount of boost you're going to go with? (Of course we know 'Freak is going with some UmptiUmp Gobs of boost :eek: ) but what about those of us who are going to use them as daily drivers?

I'm also running an underdrive pully, but may go back to stock as I'll have the S/C on her now.

Not nudging your elbow or anything. Just curious.

Jonathan

longassname
07-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Not really,

I don't seem to be having any problems with 9 lbs on the stock engine so I'm thinking I'll probably suggest that pulley. I know that's the one JSVXSTYLE wants. Basically when we are all done I'll let you guys decide and if you decide later you want to change it's always an easy swap.

Want to pick one of the manifolds out and have me write your name on it with a marker so you can see it and say hey that's mine as work progresses?
The black one is Mike's.
The white one is JSVXSTYLES
You and Duckie can each pick one silver
and the last silver is available to whoever buys it first, my suspicion is it will be claimed before the batch is done by someone not wanting to get stuck waiting for the next batch.

Mike,

Have you determined what amount of boost you're going to go with? (Of course we know 'Freak is going with some UmptiUmp Gobs of boost :eek: ) but what about those of us who are going to use them as daily drivers?

I'm also running an underdrive pully, but may go back to stock as I'll have the S/C on her now.

Jonathan

TomsSVX
07-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Mike,

Jonathan

That is if Jesse ever picks up the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D

Tom(The parts guy :cool: )

Jnthn_Sctt
07-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Not really,

I don't seem to be having any problems with 9 lbs on the stock engine so I'm thinking I'll probably suggest that pulley. I know that's the one JSVXSTYLE wants. Basically when we are all done I'll let you guys decide and if you decide later you want to change it's always an easy swap.

Want to pick one of the manifolds out and have me write your name on it with a marker so you can see it and say hey that's mine as work progresses?
The black one is Mike's.
The white one is JSVXSTYLES
You and Duckie can each pick one silver
and the last silver is available to whoever buys it first, my suspicion is it will be claimed before the batch is done by someone not wanting to get stuck waiting for the next batch.

Want to, "appear" as stock as possible. So a plain jane stock manifold is fine. I really don't expect to hang around long enough for someone to check out what's under the hood anyway. :cool:

PS: Do you have an engine map HP / TQ? I'm going to have the tranny rebuilt by Level10 and want to make sure the Torque Converter matches up to the engine map properly.

Jonathan

TomsSVX
07-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I think Mike is shooting for a close to stock map. It will be much higher in the numbers but probobly have a very similar curve.

Tom

Jnthn_Sctt
07-04-2005, 12:41 PM
I think Mike is shooting for a close to stock map. It will be much higher in the numbers but probobly have a very similar curve.

Tom

Thanks for the quick response Tom. I appreciate it. That's consistant with what I thought about the map being a bit higher numbers wise, and perhaps a bit flatter.

Jonathan

longassname
07-04-2005, 01:00 PM
That's not exactly correct.

I'll try to explain and in so doing you'll see why positive displacement blowers offer so much better performance for this application than any other kind of forced induction could ever come close to.

The torque/hp curve you are describing would be a set % increase above the torque/hp curve of the factory engine. What we will get with these systems is a % increase above 100% vollumetric efficiency. Let's say we were running a 7lb pulley--we can expect a %50 increase from 100% ve. That means at the factory peak torque of 4400 rpms where vollumetric efficiency is 99% we will see roughly a 50% power increase. At the factory peack hp at 5600 rpms ve is still 97%, pretty close to 100% and we will see roughly a %50 power increase. However, where ve is low the difference being made up to get to 100% ve before the 50% over increase will become hugely significant. This is in the lower rpms. Say you pick a place where ve is 75%. You are getting a %25 + %50 increase of 100% ve. You were starting at 75% so the 75% gain is a 100% power increase.

The hp graph will be approximately a 45 degree line. To come up with estimates for level 10 (or for the hell of it) take the known factory value of 230 hp at 5600 rpms and devide by .97 then multiply by 1 + 9/14.7 which gives you 382hp. Put that value at 5600 rpms and draw an upward sloping 45 degree angle line through that point. That's your approximate hp plot. There is a formula you can use to calculate tq from hp to derive a torque plot.

Tom

TomsSVX
07-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I'll stop talking now :)

Tom

SVXRide
07-05-2005, 11:10 AM
That's not exactly correct.

I'll try to explain and in so doing you'll see why positive displacement blowers offer so much better performance for this application than any other kind of forced induction could ever come close to.

The torque/hp curve you are describing would be a set % increase above the torque/hp curve of the factory engine. What we will get with these systems is a % increase above 100% vollumetric efficiency. Let's say we were running a 7lb pulley--we can expect a %50 increase from 100% ve. That means at the factory peak torque of 4400 rpms where vollumetric efficiency is 99% we will see roughly a 50% power increase. At the factory peack hp at 5600 rpms ve is still 97%, pretty close to 100% and we will see roughly a %50 power increase. However, where ve is low the difference being made up to get to 100% ve before the 50% over increase will become hugely significant. This is in the lower rpms. Say you pick a place where ve is 75%. You are getting a %25 + %50 increase of 100% ve. You were starting at 75% so the 75% gain is a 100% power increase.

The hp graph will be approximately a 45 degree line. To come up with estimates for level 10 (or for the hell of it) take the known factory value of 230 hp at 5600 rpms and devide by .97 then multiply by 1 + 9/14.7 which gives you 382hp. Put that value at 5600 rpms and draw an upward sloping 45 degree angle line through that point. That's your approximate hp plot. There is a formula you can use to calculate tq from hp to derive a torque plot.

Michaeil,
wouldn't you be multiplying 230 by .97 (since your ve is 97%) and then multiplying this by 1.6122, which would give you 359.7 hp? If you divide by .97 you'll actually get 237 hp...
-Bill

longassname
07-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Michaeil,
wouldn't you be multiplying 230 by .97 (since your ve is 97%) and then multiplying this by 1.6122, which would give you 359.7 hp? If you divide by .97 you'll actually get 237 hp...
-Bill

That's the whole point Bill. I'll try to explain again, if you don't get it let me know. The ve of the engine with the supercharger is an increase above 100% ve not whatever the ve is of the engine without the supercharger.

I'll try another short explanation here. The hp output on the factory engine at 5600 rpms is 230hp. The ve of the factory engine is .97 at 5600 rpms. That means that while ingesting %97 as much air as the engine will theoretically hold without forced induction it generates 230 hp. If you devide 230 by .97 you get how much hp the engine would generate at 5600 rpms if it ingested all the air it can theoreticall hold without forced induction, 237.11hp. That is the estimated hp output at %100 ve. That's the gain you make with the blower before you start seeing an increase in manifold pressure. Think of a glass--you have to fill it before your cup can runeth over.

A positive displacement blower puts out a fixed amount of air with every revolution. The vollumetric efficiency of the engine is replaced with the vollumetric efficiency of the blower wich for a twin screw blower is basically perfect at any rpm. That's why your power output is a 45 degree line and not a curve. Every time you spin the input shaft of this blower it puts out 1.6 liters of air no ifs ands or buts. If you double your rpms you double the amount of air ingested...1 to 1 rise over run..that is a 45 degree line.

Now if you go back and look at lower rpms where the vollumetric efficiency of the engine is low, revist the example of 75% i gave, you will see the math behind the huge low rpm power gains with a positive displacement blower. I encourage you to print a svx power plot, put your dot up there at 382 hp at 5600 rpms, and draw a 45 degree line through it so you can see where the line falls. The gain will be 61% at 4400 rpms and higher everywhere else--much higher at low rpms. It's also worth noting that your power no longer peaks at 5600 rpms but continues to climb as rpms do.

mikecg
07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Ymmmmmm, Tasty. You can go ahead and put me down for the 9lb set-up. The more power the merrier.

SVXRide
07-05-2005, 02:33 PM
That's the whole point Bill. I'll try to explain again, if you don't get it let me know. The ve of the engine with the supercharger is an increase above 100% ve not whatever the ve is of the engine without the supercharger.

I'll try another short explanation here. The hp output on the factory engine at 5600 rpms is 230hp. The ve of the factory engine is .97 at 5600 rpms. That means that while ingesting %97 as much air as the engine will theoretically hold without forced induction it generates 230 hp. If you devide 230 by .97 you get how much hp the engine would generate at 5600 rpms if it ingested all the air it can theoreticall hold without forced induction, 237.11hp. That is the estimated hp output at %100 ve. That's the gain you make with the blower before you start seeing an increase in manifold pressure. Think of a glass--you have to fill it before your cup can runeth over.

A positive displacement blower puts out a fixed amount of air with every revolution. The vollumetric efficiency of the engine is replaced with the vollumetric efficiency of the blower wich for a twin screw blower is basically perfect at any rpm. That's why your power output is a 45 degree line and not a curve. Every time you spin the input shaft of this blower it puts out 1.6 liters of air no ifs ands or buts. If you double your rpms you double the amount of air ingested...1 to 1 rise over run..that is a 45 degree line.

Now if you go back and look at lower rpms where the vollumetric efficiency of the engine is low, revist the example of 75% i gave, you will see the math behind the huge low rpm power gains with a positive displacement blower. I encourage you to print a svx power plot, put your dot up there at 382 hp at 5600 rpms, and draw a 45 degree line through it so you can see where the line falls. The gain will be 61% at 4400 rpms and higher everywhere else--much higher at low rpms. It's also worth noting that your power no longer peaks at 5600 rpms but continues to climb as rpms do.

Michael,
Got it as soon as I read the first paragraph of this post :D I was reading your previous post to mean that the stated 230 hp assumed 100%ve, but that 97%ve is more realistic - thus my response. I'm totally with you now!
-Bill
p.s. and the power will continue to climb to the mechanical limit of the engine.... :eek:

oab_au
07-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Michael, at what engine rpms does the engine accept the full 9psi. Straight off idle?

Harvey. ;)

longassname
07-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Michael, at what engine rpms does the engine accept the full 9psi. Straight off idle?

Harvey. ;)

Yeah, if you floor it from idle it will go straight to 9 lbs and no no problems except tire wear. Of course in practice I don't do that very often. With all the power I don't use much gas on the street.

oab_au
07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah, if you floor it from idle it will go straight to 9 lbs and no no problems except tire wear. Of course in practice I don't do that very often. With all the power I don't use much gas on the street.

How about with a manual behind it. Would the engine handle full throttle at say 1500 rpms?, I mean like detonation?

Harvey. ;)

longassname
07-05-2005, 08:49 PM
How about with a manual behind it. Would the engine handle full throttle at say 1500 rpms?, I mean like detonation?

Harvey. ;)

You're asking if detonation is a problem at high load and low rpms? That's an interesting question. As far as load in the usual sense of how much air is injested is concerned with the blower 9 lbs is 9 lbs is 9 lbs no matter what the mechanical load placed on the crankshaft is. Now would a higher mechanical load increase the likelyhood of detonation? I don't know, you think?

oab_au
07-05-2005, 09:13 PM
You're asking if detonation is a problem at high load and low rpms? That's an interesting question. As far as load in the usual sense of how much air is injested is concerned with the blower 9 lbs is 9 lbs is 9 lbs no matter what the mechanical load placed on the crankshaft is. Now would a higher mechanical load increase the likelyhood of detonation? I don't know, you think?

I am thinking the time that the pressure is held confined, in the combustion chamber at low engine speeds. Will timing retard alone, prevent detonation. In the auto the rpms will allways jump up to stall speed, but a manual may be held from say 1500 to 2500 rpms for a longer time. I guess the dyno is the only way to find out.

Harvey. ;)

Duckie
07-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I will take the one on the left in your last pic. Yay for me being able to call that one "mine" =)

longassname
07-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Probably not even, would need a manual transmission to find out.

I am thinking the time that the pressure is held confined, in the combustion chamber at low engine speeds. Will timing retard alone, prevent detonation. In the auto the rpms will allways jump up to stall speed, but a manual may be held from say 1500 to 2500 rpms for a longer time. I guess the dyno is the only way to find out.

Harvey. ;)

longassname
07-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Tom

Tom,

Speeking of which, when you send the fuel lines and ac idler please send the butterly (iris) too. I'm going use it to make the bypass valve and make it part of the manifold.

oab_au
07-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Tom,

Speeking of which, when you send the fuel lines and ac idler please send the butterly (iris) too. I'm going use it to make the bypass valve and make it part of the manifold.

A by-pass valve is what I was hinting at Michael. There has to be a point at which the boost is too much for the low speed of the engine. Not only for the combustion, but for the bearings. High pressure at low speeds will rattle the bigends, the pressure rise, to crank movement would be too high. A bit like adding too much Nos at low speeds. A by-pass valve would by required to limit the boost down low. This would be more so with a manual trans. The large amount of low speeed torque that the supercharger provides, makes it very tempting to lug the engine down at these rpms. No problem with an auto, it will allways change the ratio to pick up the rpms to a normal level. but a manual would be a different story.

Not that I see a manual clutch or box, living very long behind the sort of torque that is advailable. :eek:

Harvey. ;)

longassname
07-06-2005, 08:44 PM
oh, ya we're already running a bypass valve. I'm just going to incorporate it into the manifold instead of using an external one now.

A by-pass valve is what I was hinting at Michael. There has to be a point at which the boost is too much for the low speed of the engine. Not only for the combustion, but for the bearings. High pressure at low speeds will rattle the bigends, the pressure rise, to crank movement would be too high. A bit like adding too much Nos at low speeds. A by-pass valve would by required to limit the boost down low. This would be more so with a manual trans. The large amount of low speeed torque that the supercharger provides, makes it very tempting to lug the engine down at these rpms. No problem with an auto, it will allways change the ratio to pick up the rpms to a normal level. but a manual would be a different story.

Not that I see a manual clutch or box, living very long behind the sort of torque that is advailable. :eek:

Harvey. ;)

TomsSVX
07-06-2005, 08:45 PM
I already shipped those out last week. If u need the iris valves, i have 2 of them. let me know what u need

Tom

longassname
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I already shipped those out last week. If u need the iris valves, i have 2 of them. let me know what u need

Tom
Ya, i could use the iris valves, thanks.

TomsSVX
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
cool, I will ship them tomorrow if I have time

Tom

longassname
07-07-2005, 05:15 PM
fantastic, here comes dennis..........

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/205500.shtml?3day

BigBlueSVX
07-07-2005, 06:43 PM
fantastic, here comes dennis..........

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/205500.shtml?3day

me? I'm not going to florida! :rolleyes: :p

longassname
07-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Nice, we're out of the cone of where the eye may go on this one. It looks like it should stay far enough off shore that we'll only get tropical storm winds here. A very good thing as the corner we'd be getting hit by is where the tornados would spawn. :)

I made the measurements to determine what size drive snouts to order for the new design and we've got the drive snouts on order.

I'm sitting down now to scan the flanges of the supercharger so i can make drawings for templates of the flanges for the manifold.

longassname
07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Here's the template for the intake flange. We got the bearings for the pulleys in today too.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1500.jpg

Duckie
07-08-2005, 09:06 PM
*explodes* Oh man, I can't wait.

longassname
07-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I've been busy the last few days getting caught up on some of the non fabrication work. I tried some smaller pulleys to see how the engine would handle more pressure at the stock compression and which would be most effective in staving off detonation between afr and ignition timing.

The stock engine definitely does not want any more boost. There is no actual detonation or even pinging for that matter thanks to the excellent knock correction capabilities of the ECU; however, performance actually goes down instead of up--way down. It doesn't seem to be temperature related either. It seems to be strictly pressure that makes the difference so I'm afraid people who hope to run high boost intercooled turbo setups on the stock eg33 are going to be out of luck. Of course for us we are going to see huge power gains because we are using a positive displacement blower and seeing the massive low end increases.

Putting a pulley on that increased pressure beyond what the engine was happy with effected the lower rpms the worst. I first modified the fuel to see the effect of richening the afr and cooling things down. It did help but not enough to correct things. First I richened the whole fuel curve up and that helped then i went to the lower rpms and richened them up so the whole fuel curve was running about 11.5 to 1- just roughly as that was all that was needed for this experiment. That helped a little more but still not dramatically fixing anything.

I then took out 5 degrees of timing accross the board and that helped quite a bit more than richening the afr. It still didn't make higher boost levels perform well but it clearly indicated that the timing inefficiencies were caused by pressure and not temperature. This was further bared out by plotting the blower output with the various pulleys on the compressor map. The abiatic efficiency was higher at the higher boost levels and the temperature difference wasn't very big--certainly less than we were cooling things down with the extra fuel.

longassname
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Here are the pictures of the last fabrication work i did before i switched to tuning and parts procurement.

Here's the paper templates glued to the sheet of 6061-t6. We use this annoying expensive alloy for our flanges because it is hardened and keeps a very flat surface excellent for flanges. Using the paper templates lets us keep very tight tollerances in alligning up our bolt holes while letting us make rougher cuts and not have to allways be worying about what edge is our straight edge etc.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1503.jpg

Here Is one of the flanges cut from the plate now on the drill press getting ready to have the pilot holes drilled for the bolt pattern.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1504.jpg

And here is one of the flanges after I've drilled the bolt holes and milled out the opening for the inlet. This is actually going to be a reject because i milled out the actual shape of the supercharger inlet(that was an expensive piece of metal to waste). I'm pretty much positive i won't be able to get away with that. I have a 3d image in my head of how the inlet side is going to work out at this point and that's not it. We'll get to that later on though. The next step is the bottoms of the outer sections and then the discharge flange.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1506.jpg

longassname
07-13-2005, 04:21 PM
On the tuning end I have also made the exact measurements for the z32maf meter. I had done this in a ad hoc fashion before which let me get a close enough estimate to work but now I've gone back and done the precise stuff to get a final version.

I'll go ahead and let the cat out of the bag now. We are ixnaying the nitrous tuning as stage 2 and using that name to release the software I just finished for the z32 mass air meter. The Stage 2v3 software is the same as the stage 1v4 software except that it uses the z32 mass air meter. This will allow the 2nd set of code which is switched to by the power input to be used for either 87 octane fuel or for forced induction. It isn't tuned for large fuel injectors like the stage III software but it is still a giant leap forward for anyone trying to make their svx faster than stock but unwilling or unable to step up to a full stage 3 system. It will accurately measure the air flow and thus propperly adjust ignition timing at any load and accurately control the fuel injectors right up to full open all the time.

Earthworm
07-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Do you have a price on the new stage II? (1.5 :D)

Would you be providing the MAF sensor?

So does old stage II become stage III and old stage III become stage IV?

longassname
07-13-2005, 05:14 PM
All the information will all be on the website soon as I finish the site changes.

No, the old stage 2 which was nitrous tuning will no longer be offered.

Stage 2v3 will be available on it's own, as an upgrade for stage 1 owners, and with the maf meter and electrical connector.

Stage 2v3 package $429
Stage 2v3 upgrade $329
Stage 2v3 package with z32 maf and electrical connector $647

Earthworm
07-13-2005, 05:18 PM
:( RIP old Stage II :(

87f383
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM
So it is the stage III chip, and MAF. Just w/o the fuel injector constant being changed for larger injectors? Are you willing to sell a version of that(modified constant)... If so I'm very interested as I'm deciding on fuel and tuning issues for my just purchased turbo.

longassname
07-13-2005, 07:24 PM
So it is the stage III chip, and MAF. Just w/o the fuel injector constant being changed for larger injectors? Are you willing to sell a version of that(modified constant)... If so I'm very interested as I'm deciding on fuel and tuning issues for my just purchased turbo.

The difference in the stage III is more complicated than that. For one there are a lot more changes to run different size injectors than modifying a constant. There are many adjustments to be made for different fuel injectors. The software would need to be customized for each particular brand and model of injector and the reality is even if we released the full blown stage III software for seperate purchase there wouldn't be anyone willing and able to afford to buy it, a mass air meter, and nismo injectors that isn't willing and able to buy the full stage III package. Anyone that wants to buy the software seperately is either trying to or needs to save money and can't pay for the parts that the stage III software is customized for. That or they are grossly deluding themselves into believing that they can produce a superior system or equivalent one for less money.

Know what I mean...either you are ready for stage 3 or you are ready for stage 2. There is no stage 3 at a stage 2 price. If it could be done I'd be doing it. I strive to produce what the demand is there for after all.

SVXRide
07-13-2005, 09:26 PM
snip*

Stage 2v3 will be available on it's own, as an upgrade for stage 1 owners, and with the maf meter and electrical connector.

Stage 2v3 package $429
Stage 2v3 upgrade $329
Stage 2v3 package with z32 maf and electrical connector $647

Michael,
I little clarification, please. For those of us who already have the Stage 1 v4 chip, exactly what will the Stage 2 v3 provide if you don't have the z32 MAF?
Thanks.
-Bill

longassname
07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Michael,
I little clarification, please. For those of us who already have the Stage 1 v4 chip, exactly what will the Stage 2 v3 provide if you don't have the z32 MAF?
Thanks.
-Bill

big clouds of smoke if it will start. Stage 2 is for running a z32maf meter; if you aren't going to run a z32 maf there's no reason to get it and it wouldn't work anyway.

TomsSVX
07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
So wait. The new stage 2 is $100 more than the old nitrous setup but yet offers nothing to the N/A community?? That makes no sense except for people like SVXtacy and Svxfiles. I too would like to build my own S/C setup if I stumble upon some "cheap" parts but I don't see it happening for me. I think any credit towards purchasing the stage 2 that I was gonna buy has gone to waste now. Is there anyway I can still get it or are you completely done?

Tom

longassname
07-13-2005, 10:05 PM
So wait. The new stage 2 is $100 more than the old nitrous setup but yet offers nothing to the N/A community?? That makes no sense except for people like SVXtacy and Svxfiles. I too would like to build my own S/C setup if I stumble upon some "cheap" parts but I don't see it happening for me. I think any credit towards purchasing the stage 2 that I was gonna buy has gone to waste now. Is there anyway I can still get it or are you completely done?

Tom

Tom,

Have I ever left somebody unhappy? Of course I'll still be happy to supply you with the nitrous version. I'm not going to keep carying it in general but no reason i can't provide it to you.

I wouldn't say it offers nothing to the N/A community either. It's beneficial to people who want to run higher rpms. There will probably be a performance increase for all svx's. Someone else is planning on testing that so I'll let him share his findings when he does instead of me doing it.

TomsSVX
07-13-2005, 10:09 PM
OK Mike, you scared me for a minute. I was thinking of retracting my offer for IRIS valves.. I still need to ship them. With all of the parts I have sent you, how much would the stage 2 software cost me at this point??

Tom

longassname
07-13-2005, 10:17 PM
OK Mike, you scared me for a minute. I was thinking of retracting my offer for IRIS valves.. I still need to ship them. With all of the parts I have sent you, how much would the stage 2 software cost me at this point??

Tom

:rolleyes: act like i'm an a*** then ask for more money...........very smooooooooooooth, lol

didn't we already discuss what i'd give you?

Anyway, no more talk about stage 2v3 here. This thread is for those who purchased stage 3. I'll start a stage 2v3 thread soon.

Duckie
07-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Is there any estimated completion date for stage 3 yet?

longassname
07-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Is there any estimated completion date for stage 3 yet?

I'd hate to guess because that's what it would be, a guess. The next few days I have to take off to give my attention to finals (I'm getting an mba). After that I will be doing nothing but stage 3 fabrication and you'll see the daily picture posting again.

longassname
07-17-2005, 12:00 AM
I posted the thread on the stage 2v3 software. It may be of interest for you stage 3 guys as it gives a good explanation of the maf meter conversion.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?p=324415#post324415

mikecg
07-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Alright where's my up-dates????

It's been too quiet.

longassname
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I've taken a little time to get some software work done. I recently got back the test reports on the injectors we will be using. The software I made during the testing phase was based on the test reports for the factory injectors, the advertised flow rate of the new injectors, and latency values that have worked for other people on other cars. Of course the test reports are dead on accurate--they are advanced tests based on my criteria to get all the exact information I need to know for doing the software perfectly.

Having made the precise mass air flow meter measurements and now having the fuel injector test reports I was ready to start putting together the final version of the software. I won't get into the numbers again as you already know the basics on the flow rate of the injectors and explaining the the more complex stuff that controls the timing of when fuel is injected is complex and unneccessary--though an important ingredient of performance. What I have for you today is the timing and fuel maps.

Some reworking of the maps is an inherent part of changing the fuel injectors. The fuel injector change doesn't call for changing the shape of the map but since the values for calculated load which make up one of the axis of the maps are changed when the fuel injectors are changed it is necessary to rescale the values of the load axis on all maps. The problem you run into is when you rescale the values you don't necessarily get whole #'s so it takes some work to calculate from the original table values what the values should be with the new scale so that the shape of the map stays the same. We do this but we also take it a bit further. The load range of the factory maps does not include the increased load range we are running with the forced induction. When choosing our new scaling we expand the load range covered. We then use the data from the factory table to fill in the part of the load range corresponding to the original range and extrapolate new data to fill in the extended range based upon the characteristics of the engine, general tuning principles, and experience with other fuel and ignition timing maps.

I'll show the timing maps first as it is easier to understand and a cleaner looking map in the factory form. The SVX uses both a lot and very little timing due to the engines design. The ignition timing map goes all the way from 50 degrees at high rpms and low load to 0 degrees at low rpms and high load. Here's the factory timing map:
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/stocktiming.gif

Here is the stage 3 timing map. Allthough it is actually the same number of datapoints you can see it as a larger map containing the factory map. It now covers a larger load range on out to where values for both low and high rpms are 0. The original values are not decreased to retard the ignition timing. With the load range properly expanded there is no need to decrease the ignition timing at the factory load levels. We simply need to have the correct values at the higher load levels which correspond to boost conditions.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/stage3timing.gif

As I have said before the factory fuel map is a fuel revision map. It does not say how much fuel to inject. It says how much more fuel to inject above the amount the ecu calculates is needed to get an afr of 14.7 based on rpms and load. So you have you picture the plane on which these maps is built as being an afr of 14.7 and the values of the tables are the additional fuel added to reach a lower afr. The factory fuel map is a bit ugly looking but can be understood with a little knowledge and though. Normally fuel maps climb as rpm and load increases. At frist glance the SVX fuel map looks to be backwards. It isn't though. You have to keep scale in mind and remember this is a revision map--the difference between the highest and lowest points in this map is only about 1.5 in the afr. That said to the trained eye what you have here is the traditional map you would expect with a hump of extra fuel added at low load accross the entire rpm scale. This map won't look so ugly as part of our larger fuel map.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/factoryfuel.gif

I expanded the load range of the fuel map just as I did with the ignition timing map. The values on the left side of the map are mostly taken from the factory fuel map. Values on the right side of the map correspond to boost conditions. Some of the values for higher rpm ranges on the left side of the map were changed as well. The original factory maping can be seen in the blue area. The rest is my doing. I don't want to get into explaining map creation any more than I have but you can get the general idea of increasing fuel as rpms and load increase. This map should work extremely well for us.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/stage3fuel.gif

The questions on the stage 2 sofware have settled down and I have the final version of the stage 3 software ready to go in the car when i get a chance to switch back to the nismo injectors. I'm going to go get lunch and get back into metal work. Today I'm going to work on cutting the metal to enclose the left and right sections of the manifolds.

Chiketkd
07-22-2005, 10:51 AM
The questions on the stage 2 sofware have settled down and I have the final version of the stage 3 software ready to go in the car when i get a chance to switch back to the nismo injectors. I'm going to go get lunch and get back into metal work. Today I'm going to work on cutting the metal to enclose the left and right sections of the manifolds.
Nice. It'll be interesting to see how much of a noticeable change you get when you install and run this revised Stage 3 software in your test car. You might even get the nerve to take it to redline a few times... ;)

-Chike

longassname
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Nice. It'll be interesting to see how much of a noticeable change you get when you install and run this revised Stage 3 software in your test car. You might even get the nerve to take it to redline a few times... ;)

-Chike

I have 2 things holding me back from that. Johny law and I don't have my torque mount installed.

TomsSVX
07-22-2005, 12:26 PM
are gonna need engine straps to keep the motors from jumping out of the car??? :D

Tom

Earthworm
07-22-2005, 12:30 PM
...or maybe straight jackets for the crazy owners! :D :p

TomsSVX
07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Well the straps are to hold the engine in, the wives are gonna have a hard time getting their husbands out :D

Tom

SVXRide
07-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Michael,
Thanks for sharing the maps! :cool: It looks like the timing maps actually support the "dip" we've seen in the Hp curves (around 5k rpms) from dyno runs. Is this true, or are my eyes just playing tricks on me?
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/27956.jpg

(note: dyno curves are my "baseline" curves - only change to the stock configuration was a high flow secondary cat and high flow resonator)

-Bill
p.s. any way you could PM me the Excel file that has the stock timing and fuel maps in it? I'd like to be able to rotate the plots to get a better understanding of what's going on. Thanks. :cool: :D

Chiketkd
07-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Michael,
Thanks for sharing the maps! :cool: It looks like the timing maps actually support the "dip" we've seen in the Hp curves from dyno runs. Is this true, of are my eyes just playing tricks on me?

(note: dyno curves are my "baseline" curves - only change to the stock configuration was a high flow secondary cat and high flow resonator)

-Bill
I noticed the same 'dip' during the baseline dyno of my car Bill.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/23161.jpg

-Chike

Jnthn_Sctt
07-22-2005, 08:17 PM
...or maybe straight jackets for the crazy owners! :D :p

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!! :eek:

SVXRide
07-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Looks like the factory fuel map is also consistent with the dyno results....

Michael - think you can post the factory fuel map rotated around so the rpm scale is to the front (with load projecting back into the page)?

-Bill

longassname
07-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Looks like the factory fuel map is also consistent with the dyno results....

Michael - think you can post the factory fuel map rotated around so the rpm scale is to the front (with load projecting back into the page)?

-Bill

Bill,

Both of your observences are correct. There are humps in the fuel map at the same two places where you see the dips in the timing. Obviously those are areas where the engine naturally has a tendency to want to detonate and can't run as much timing and needs a richer afr. Let's not talk more about it now though this thread is for updating the purchasers of stage III. Speeking of which I do have pictures of today's work which i will be posting tonight but first I need to eat dinner (having just gotten home from the shop at 11:15).

SVXRide
07-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Bill,

Both of your observences are correct. There are humps in the fuel map at the same two places where you see the dips in the timing. Obviously those are areas where the engine naturally has a tendency to want to detonate and can't run as much timing and needs a richer afr. Let's not talk more about it now though this thread is for updating the purchasers of stage III. Speeking of which I do have pictures of today's work which i will be posting tonight but first I need to eat dinner (having just gotten home from the shop at 11:15).

Michael,
Thanks for the response! Nice to see I'm not the only one up at this time on the East Coast :D
I agree on not "highjacking" this thread any further...think you could start a separate thread on the stock ECU's maps? I will be going back to the dyno later this year and want to be prepared...
-Bill (looking to squeeze every last Hp and ft-lb out of the NA EG33 :cool: )

longassname
07-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Here are the drive snouts. I mentioned them ariving before but they are about to become important. I'll be using one probably tomorrow to fit the supercharger on the engine and measure what size I need to get the plates cut for the discharge flange. I'm out of 6061-t6 so I might as well get it cut to size while i'm buying it.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1532.jpg

Now to todays work. Here's the bottom of passenger side of one of the manifolds after cutting it to shape but not formed. On this side of the manfold we are forming the plate to close off the bottom and will weld in a seperate plate to close in the sides beneath and behind where the discharge flange will weld.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1534.jpg

This is 1/8 5052-H plate. 1/8 is pretty thick plate but since it's 5052-H it is still formable and the press brake set up we have can bend just about anything. Here is the plate from the previous picture in the press brake being formed, then after forming, and then cut off to match the manifold.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1536.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1537.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1541.jpg

Here you can see the passenger side parts finished for all 5 of this batch and 2 of the driver's side done. On the drivers side we are able to form the plate to create the sides as well. Obviously we'll be cutting out the area on the sides which will be above the discharge flange. I will wait until after the discharge flanges are done to this so that I can mark the cuts accurately.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1545.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1546.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1547.jpg

SVXRide
07-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Michael,
Very nice! Are you going to do your own TIG welding?
-Bill

longassname
07-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Michael,
Very nice! Are you going to do your own TIG welding?
-Bill

Thank you, yes I will be doing the TIG welding. I need to buy some supplies for that still too. Most of our seams are 1/8 to 3/16 joints which require a weirdish thickness 4043 filler that isn't normally stocked by most welding supply shops.

longassname
07-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I forgot to take the camera with me to the shop today. I did finish the bottom pieces for the rest of the manifolds and I fit up the supercharger with one of the new, shorter drive snouts. I had to mill some off of the black cast iron alternator bracket to line it up right. Speeking of which, I need the cast iron alternator brackets now.

longassname
07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
I've been spending a lot of time the last few days tooling up and procuring stock for some more changes/improvements I've decided on.

There is plenty of space in front of the crank pulley and machining a new one will let us make a few very worthwhile improvements. 1st off we can make it smaller. This will allow us to use a smaller drive pulley on the supercharger without running more manifold pressure than the engine wants. Running a smaller drive pulley on the supercharger improves our hood clearance. This opens the way for the second improvement we can make by machining new pulleys. We'll also be machining a new power steering pulley and we'll be making it and the spot on the crank for that belt 6 ribs so that we can use a 6 rib belt on the supercharger.

The 3rd and biggest improvement is we can add another belt. I'm expanding the crank pulley to hold another 5 rib belt which will drive the alternator instead of pulling the 4 rib belt from the ac compressor down to it.

The alternator will now be mountind directly below the crank pulley in a mounting assembly which incorporates the mechanism for tensioning the belt. There are 2 plugs on the bottom of the pump which would make an excellent place to bolt the alternator assembly if only there were bolts there--I'm machining new plugs which will have bolts holes in them.

While most of my time has been spent measuring and ordering and picking up I do have a little bit of physical progress to show. I drew the discharge flange templates, cut them out, and glued them plates which I got cut to the correct size by the supplier.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1574.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1575.jpg

These changes are expensive for us but I think will make for a much better kit. If nobody has any complaints I'd like to cut the walboro fuel pump from the kit in order to recoup some of the losses since it isn't necessary and the installation is unpleasant to say the least anyway.

Jnthn_Sctt
08-01-2005, 10:35 AM
These changes are expensive for us but I think will make for a much better kit. If nobody has any complaints I'd like to cut the walboro fuel pump from the kit in order to recoup some of the losses since it isn't necessary and the installation is unpleasant to say the least anyway.

If it improves the project I certainly have no objections to what you're doing. Just hope not changing the pump doesn't effect drivablity. Thanks for keeping us up to date Mike.

Jonathan

longassname
08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
If it improves the project I certainly have no objections to what you're doing. Just hope not changing the pump doesn't effect drivablity. Thanks for keeping us up to date Mike.

Jonathan

Thanks,

No, the stock fuel pump is plenty big for the amount of boost that can be run on an unbuilt engine. I won't be including it as part of the kit in the future. If anyone who preordered demands it I'll include it for them but otherwise will leave it out and we'll all be the healthier for not having to fish around the gas tank.

Jnthn_Sctt
08-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks,

No, the stock fuel pump is plenty big for the amount of boost that can be run on an unbuilt engine. I won't be including it as part of the kit in the future. If anyone who preordered demands it I'll include it for them but otherwise will leave it out and we'll all be the healthier for not having to fish around the gas tank.

No worries, I'm no engineer, so won't second guess your decisions.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

mbtoloczko
08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
...I'll show the timing maps first as it is easier to understand and a cleaner looking map in the factory form. The SVX uses both a lot and very little timing due to the engines design. The ignition timing map goes all the way from 50 degrees at high rpms and low load to 0 degrees at low rpms and high load. Here's the factory timing map:...

Which sensor readings are used by the ECU to determine the engine load listed on your plots? If you know the exact formula (e.g. load = a1*maf^a2*tps^a3...), I'd be curious to know.

longassname
08-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I finished getting the 6061-T6 round for the pulleys today.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1576.jpg

And I drilled and milled the discharge flanges.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1577.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1579.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1580.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1582.jpg

mikecg
08-02-2005, 04:57 AM
You got your thumb in the pictures. :D

longassname
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
You got your thumb in the pictures. :D

That's to show the Dr. how it goes back on in later phases of the project.

longassname
08-02-2005, 10:51 AM
So anybody have any alternator brackets? That's the black cast iron piece with the engine pulling loop on it. I'm 3 shy on them.

TomsSVX
08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
maybe.....

tom

immortal_suby
08-02-2005, 04:56 PM
So anybody have any alternator brackets? That's the black cast iron piece with the engine pulling loop on it. I'm 3 shy on them.

I think I still might have one.

longassname
08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I think I still might have one.

Now we are talking. Matt to the rescue again.

Duckie
08-04-2005, 03:57 AM
With regards to the fuel pump, I do indeed plan on running more boost on a built engine so I would appreciate the pump *grins* Muahaha teh SVX must be teh fastar!!!!ichi11!

mikecg
08-04-2005, 04:58 AM
I was also planning a phased type of build up in the future. But considering the discount I'm getting I wont be picky about it as long as you promise to be available for a fuel map adjustment when Im ready. :D

longassname
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
I decided to start doing the shop work at night to avoid the worst of the hot spell. I stopped at target on the way out to the shop to get a stool to set in front of the welding bench (i welded up a welding bench and the stand for our tool grinder the day before yesterday and got them bolted down yesterday). That's as far as the Subaru gods wanted to let me get tonight. My starter died as dead as door nail in the parking lot and I had to get towed home. I was going to weld in the bottoms of the manifolds tonight but instead I get to replace my starter tomorrow.

longassname
08-06-2005, 11:11 PM
No welding till Monday. I forgot to switch out of direct electrode positive after putting the ball on my electrode and cracked the gas nozzle on our gataw welder. I don't have any extras so I'll have to go buy some on Monday. I cut the side openings in the formed manifold pieces and they are ready to weld.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1588.jpg

I also ground the tool to cut the v's in the pulleys on the lathe. Standard v grooving tools are a 60 degree v. K section v rib belts use a 40 degree v so you have to either grind a custom tool or cut in two shallower half v's and then a groove down the middle. I don't want to make 3 passes for each groove so a custom tool it is.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1589.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1586.jpg

longassname
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately I haven't been getting any work done at the shop thanks to my own svx misseries. I got back to working on stage 3 fabrication tonight. I remade the discharge flanges. I must have done crack or something when i made the template the first go around. This set is right.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1594.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1593.jpg

longassname
08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
I spent today doing some maintenance work around the shop. Next week should be a big week for stage 3 fabrication. I got a note today saying there are a couple ups packages waiting for me at the office. One of which I am confident is the backplates for chucks I'll be using on our lathe when I cut the pulleys. This means I'll be able to set up our precision 6 jaw chuck which I want to use to machine the smaller diameter pulleys. I'll get some new gas shields for the tig torch on monday so I'll be able to weld up the bottoms of the manifolds and and the discharge flanges.

grbii
08-13-2005, 10:58 PM
I am new with the SVX group.

I have a Q. after reading all 200+ post's I did not see if you have 1 more to sell or not??Can you shoot me a price if you have 1?
Thank You
grbii

longassname
08-13-2005, 11:34 PM
I am new with the SVX group.

I have a Q. after reading all 200+ post's I did not see if you have 1 more to sell or not??Can you shoot me a price if you have 1?
Thank You
grbii

Yes, we have 1 more. it's $6250

longassname
08-15-2005, 01:59 AM
I know most people never get to see a lathe operate more or less how one is set up so I thought some of you might be interested in seeing me set up the precision 6 jaw chuck.

A metal lathe is used for turning bar stock which is usually round but can also be square, hexoganal, or rectangular. An "independent" chuck where you adjust each of 4 jaws seperately is used for rectangular stock and it's a real pita which thankfully most people don't have to deal with. Symetrical stock is most easily clamped using a chuck where all the jaws operate together. Chucks of this type migh be called a scroll chuck, self centering chuck, or universal chuck. The photos tonight are of the process of me replacing the pos 3 jaw universal chuck that came on our lathe with a precision 6 jaw chuck. The goal is to get high levels of concentricity. Concentricity means that the axis of rotation of the chuck and any stock clamped in it is dead center. This is particularly important for when we are working on long pieces of stock. The further away you get from the lathe head the worse the effects of poor concentricity.

Ok, so here is the pos chuck that came on the lathe. It's attached to a back plate which is threaded to the lathe spindle.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1595.jpg

Here I've taken off the chuck so that I can measure the diameter of the spindle. The new backplate is already threaded but we need to cut out a recess to precisely match this flange with a light press on fit.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1598.jpg

Here i am use the dead center in the tailstock to line up the tool I will be using to the height of the axis of rotation of the lathe.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1599.jpg

Here i have put the old chuck back on and used it to clamp the new back plate. The particular chuck we are setting up today only clamps from the outside and wouldn't work for us in this situation but we will be setting up a second chuck which does this later. Now we are ready to turn the inside of the back plate to match the spindle it will screw onto.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1600.jpg

Here the inside of the back plate is turned to the propper diameter to match the spindle. The calipers were locked into the measurement of the spindle using the outside jaws and now the inside of jaws are a press fit into the back plate.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1602.jpg

Here is the back plate screwed onto the spindle for a test fit. We have to take it back off to do a bunch of drilling and some taping before we can continue on the lathe.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1603.jpg

After doing the drilling and taping I screwed the back plate back onto the spindle and faced the whole thing and then cut a recess along the outer edge. The chuck body is a press fit onto this face. Because it was cut on the lathe the mating surfaces are exactly perpindicular and parallel and concentric with the axis of rotation.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1610.jpg

Here I've taken it back off of the spindle to install the chuck onto the backplate. The mounting bolts which attach the chuck to the backplate are also a loose press fit but that's not really necessary--just showing off.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1611.jpg

Here is the new chuck mounted on it's perfectly set up back plate next to the old chuck on it's supposedly ready made back plate. You'll notice that instead of having jaws wich can clamp on their outside as well that the new chuck has very long jaws. These jaws will quickly clamp anything i throw in them dead center without my paying the slightest attention to it.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1612.jpg

Here's the new chuck installed back onto the lathe and clamping a piece of one inch round. I gave it a whirl and it is in fact dead on concentric all the way out to the end of the bar, 6 inches of which is actually inside of the chuck. In the old chuck working the end of a 20" long piece of 1" round wouldn't have even been doable.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1614.jpg

longassname
08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
I did some gtaw today to start warming up before welding on the manifolds. I did some corner welds which came out pretty decent and I cut the ends off to examine the insides of the welds. They look good so I'm going to move on and do some but welds tomorrow to continue refining my skills before I jump into the manifolds.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1618.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1616.jpg

SVXRide
08-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Michael,
Like butter! You're just having too much fun! :D
-Bill

longassname
08-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I practiced butt welds today and they came out pretty decent. On the top I'll use a smaller diameter filler rod to make them prettier. The extra filler is both to dilute the 6061 and to bridge gaps I'll be dealing with on the undersides.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1621.jpg

mikecg
08-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Gee, I just realized it has been offically over year now since they got my check. The first post in the development thread was 9-15-2004. 1 year and 10 days ago.

longassname
08-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Gee, I just realized it has been offically over year now since they got my check. The first post in the development thread was 9-15-2004. 1 year and 10 days ago.

Yes, you've certainly been waiting patiently. I think the improvements in the production run will be worth the extra wait.

Expect a progress report tomorrow night. I'm doing office work today.

mikecg
08-29-2005, 04:25 PM
What happened to the update?

Duckie
08-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Well the ecutune site is down and a hurricane hit florida not too long ago... I am also anxious for details because my current living situation is up in the air so I am anxious to get the product and install it. Not to mention hopefully hook the site up with some video and stats of my car post S/C setup.

Earthworm
08-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Here's hoping LAN is alright! :(

Duckie
08-30-2005, 12:40 AM
agreeeeed.

longassname
08-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks I'm fine. Power has been out at the corporate office since katrina ran through miami so our server has been awol. I've mostly been kept busy with other stuff, stage 2v4, designing PCB's for other products people have been whining for, administrative stuff, etc but I got back to stage 3 fab yesterday and did some manifold welding. I'll take the camera with me today now that I can post pictures again.

longassname
08-30-2005, 10:58 PM
I have some pics of the #1 manifold sections. I welded the bottoms on yesterday and today and ground them out. The piece i did today has the egr on it and man did I have to lay some heat down. I really need to motor through that weld but the 50 amp breaker the welder is on kept popping. What a mission. I'm gong to have to step the breaker up tomorow so I can make some real progress.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1635.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1637.jpg

longassname
09-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I have some more pictures.

I cut, welded in, and ground out the side section for the passenger side of the #1 manifold. Unlike the drivers side on the passenger side the bottom and side sections are seperate pieces that have to be welded together.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1642.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1643.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1646.jpg

I then machined the bolt tubes which will hold the supercharger to the manifold. Here you can see the 1" round stock in the lathe and the drill bit for the bolt hole in the tail stock.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1648.jpg

Here I've done the external facing and parted this one from the stock.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1652.jpg

Here you can see one of the pieces and the 8mm bolt counterbore I use to machine the opening for the bolt head and washer.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1654.jpg

Here are the 5 tubes for this manifold sitting on the flange so you can see what they look like and understand what they are for.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1657.jpg

Here is a level profile shot so you can see how they compare to the surface of the manifold top and again to give you some idea of the difference between the angle perpendicular to the centerline of the engine and the surface of the manifold.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1659.jpg

SVXRide
09-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Mike,
So, are you going to have a slightly "humped" center section that the compressed air will flow into and then out to the runners via the triangular cut outs? Any concern regarding the turbulent/potentially unbalanced flow (note: I'm saying "potentially" as I recognize you do have a volume that the s/c will be filling adjacent to the runners) to the cylinders you might end up with as a result of the "hard right turn" and the the triangular cut out? It looks like the "line of sight" cross section for the flow to the front two cylinders could be as little as 1/2 of that for the back two cylinders.
-Bill

NikFu S.
09-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Just read the thread.

This is quite the undertaking for a R&D staff of one man.

Work appears to be top notch, though. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

TomsSVX
09-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Looks awsome Mike!! Great work so far, you have done a great job on helping the SVX aftermarket community!! You will be receiving a PM within the hour

Tom

longassname
09-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Today I machined the bolt tubes for the rest of the manifolds.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1661.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/_DSC1664.jpg

Subafreak
09-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Great pics man, I've been wondering what it was gonna look like on the inside and where the S/C was placed with the rest of the motor.

I imagine even flow won't be a huge issue as you will be filling the manifold with more air than one cylinder can take in all at once anyway. The angle of the manifold inlets is not of a concern. Pull the S/C off a 3.8 Buick someday and take a look at the air delivery for that motor, very small. :rolleyes:

Duckie
09-09-2005, 01:42 AM
*drools in hopes of an update/estimated completion*

longassname
09-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Stop drooling, lol.

I have pics of the welding I did today. Today I welded the bolt tubes to the discharge flanges.

This first picture shows one of the discharge flanges with the bolt tubes just welded on and the bolts used to align and fix the tubes during welding still in. The bolts used for this are not the same as the bolts used to mount the supercharger but are the exact same size as the hole so that the tubes are perfectly lined up.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2217.jpg

And here is all 6 of them. The 6th one in case anyone is wondering is for redoing the original prototype to the production run specs. It will be going back on my car.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2224.jpg

SVXRide
09-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Faster than a TIG welder.......more powerful that a 6-71 blower....able to machine 7075-T6 with his eyes closed.....he's SUPERLAN!
:D :D :D
-Bill

Subafreak
09-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Faster than a TIG welder.......more powerful that a 6-71 blower....able to machine 7075-T6 with his eyes closed.....he's SUPERLAN!
:D :D :D
-Bill

LMAO. :D

longassname
09-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I got the back plate for our set tru chuck today and got that chuck set up. The setup of the set tru chuck is a little different than the chuck I showed you the set up of earlier. It's a high end hardened steel chuck with scrolls even more precise than the precision 6 jaw chuck. It has the same mating surfaces with the backplate as a normal chuck except they are precision pre-ground and in different proportions. It has bolts that are used to adjust the aligment of the chuck with the backplate to obtain high levels of concentricity.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2230.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2232.jpg

This chuck has 2 piece jaws that can be flipped around to hold work pieces from either the inside or outside and can hold massive stock. This will let us machine our crank pulleys. In this picture you can see the stock for one crank pulley clamped in the chuck. I cut it from a longer piece in the bandsaw and then faced both sides in the lathe.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2234.jpg

longassname
09-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Today's pictures are of the beginings of the work on the throttle body adaptor and bypass valve. I've cut the iris valve apart to get at the parts of it I want to use in our bypass valve system. I had to grind off the ends of the screws that hold the blade into the post since Subaru was kind enough to mash them so that they don't come back out. And I cut off the ring that goes around the blade while leaving enough of the circle on pieces that we will be using to match the blade after we cut it to it's new shape.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2235.jpg

Here you can see how I've further trimed the pieces to roughly about what we will be using. The top and bottom of the blade will be cut off around where it touches what is left of the circle that used to surround it leaving the blade as a rectangle with rounded sides. The sides are brought in tight to create a seal.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2236.jpg

It will be part of the throttle body adaptor and connect between the intake and discharge sides of the blower.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2240.jpg

We are using part of the manifold that includes the throttle body flange as part of the throttle body adaptor. Here you can see the piece that I've cut for this one. It's cut so that the tabs on the front of the throttle body cover go up to what will be the back of the center of the manifold. The plate that will make the top of the manifold will extend back to create a lip that the tabs from the throttle body cover will go under. I'm holding the piece roughly where it will go.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2238.jpg

Duckie
09-12-2005, 01:42 AM
o_O Looks great. Get this bad boy done before snow hits here in Reno, Nevada and I will send you a gold star, a cookie, and a box of kudos! :cool:

TomsSVX
09-12-2005, 09:09 AM
hey Mike, I never got around to shipping you those 2 IRIS valves, do u still need them?? PM me w/ ur adress I deleted all of my pms recently

Tom

longassname
09-12-2005, 12:19 PM
hey Mike, I never got around to shipping you those 2 IRIS valves, do u still need them?? PM me w/ ur adress I deleted all of my pms recently

Tom

Yes I do. I'm also short on alternator brackets and fuel lines. Anybody reading this who has some please help.

TomsSVX
09-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Send Subafreak a PM I think I gave him an extra alt bracket with the boxes-o-parts I handed over reluctantly

Oh and thanks for the stage 2 I will await it's arrival

Tom

longassname
09-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Since my last post I've mostly been doing some work on the shop and shop equipment and procuring both tools and parts. There have been some deficiencies in the lathe which have been annoying me that I've gotten rid of for one. I've got it dialed in now and it's abilities and the finish quality it can achieve now are exceptional. I'm waiting for a couple more tool holders which are on their way but the quick change tool holder is now set up and elimates what was bothering me.

In this picture you can see the old tool post as I'm machining the base for the quick change tool post. Asside from being annoying to use the main problem with this tool holder is it's flimsy and the compound mounting plate that holds it to the cross-slide is even flimsyer. This allows flex and vibration when torque is put on it during cutting.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2250.jpg

Here you can see the new quick change tool post sitting on the completed base I machined. It has a wide flat bottom which sits on the base and a 5/8 stud through the center holding it flat against the base. There is no opportunity for any flex or vibration. The tools are held in quick change holders which you adjust to the correct height once. From then on you throw that lever and you can pull off the quick change holder throw on the next and throw the lever back. It holds the tools an accuracy in the millionths. In the picture you can see the internal grooving tool (what I'll use for the snap ring groove inside of idler pulleys) adjusted to the height of the center.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2258.jpg

Here you can see blanks I've cut for the crank pulleys. Yes one of the blanks is a larger diameter than the others. The kits will be coming with the 4.25" pulleys. The 5.0" pulley is for the engine we will be building when we're done with the production run and will create 15lbs of boost.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2259.jpg

I've gotten stock of the socket head bolts for the superchargers. We went with A2 Stainless Steel. Now we're able to weld the the discharge flanges to the manifolds.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/run1/DSC_2248.jpg

SVXRide
09-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Michael,
Beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished product! Have you recieved my PMs and Emails I sent you over the last 2 weeks?
-Bill

longassname
09-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Michael,
Beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished product! Have you recieved my PMs and Emails I sent you over the last 2 weeks?
-Bill

Ya I did. As important as it is it's not on the top of my list right now. I'm really overburdened between stage 3 fabrication and schoolwork. I'm fitting non stage 3 tasks in as i can without it delaying stage 3 progress.

SVXRide
09-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Ya I did. As important as it is it's not on the top of my list right now. I'm really overburdened between stage 3 fabrication and schoolwork. I'm fitting non stage 3 tasks in as i can without it delaying stage 3 progress.

Michael,
Understood. Just checking to make sure the Internet Gods hadn't kept the messages from getting to you.
-Bill