PDA

View Full Version : Quick and easy tranny filter?

Da'Cheat
04-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi :)

I just installed a rather large tranny cooler inside the drivers side fender well of the SVX. *Pictures and a how to will be up in a few days*
While doing this, I had a thought. Yea, yea, the first ones are always amazing. :p
The lines for the automatic trans are hard line, then 3/8" rubber tube to the radiator/trans cooler. Could one not simply install a large fuel filter that is barbed for a 3/8" line into the line to act as a tranny filter?

Fram makes a large filter with a clear case that should do the trick. They nab particles that are quite small and should be able to handle the heat and pressure of a transmission line.

Now, would the fluid be to thick for this application?
Would the filter have a high enough flow rating as not to hamper the fluid speed?

If there are no objections, Id like to give this a whirl. If it works, then It would be a quick, easy and cheap way to make our transmissions last longer.

thundering02
04-05-2005, 11:18 PM
id like to say to thick but im not sure maybe some testing before installation would clear things up

michael
04-06-2005, 05:50 AM
There is an OEM one on Ebay right now, same principle and it's easy to do.

ensteele
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
My understanding is that fuel filters will not work on transmission fluid because of the difference in partical size and filter media size.

Hohopirates
04-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I like the Perma cool units. They have spin off filters and a spot for a temp sensor built in.

Steve

Beav
04-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't recommend a fuel filter. Why not just use an inline trans filter? They're readily available.

Da'Cheat
04-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Why? It just seemed like a quick fix sorta thing. I was just rubbing my chin in contemplation on the matter.

oab_au
04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Why? It just seemed like a quick fix sorta thing. I was just rubbing my chin in contemplation on the matter.

A fine filter will restrict the flow too much, you only need a course screen filter, like the screen that is in the transmisson pan, just enought to remove the lumps. In this case 'the best filter, is not the best' :)

Harvey. ;)

STORMINORMAN
04-09-2005, 07:16 PM
One would think it would be the most logical inline transmission filter one could ever imagine. Don't have to worry about particle size, etc. :cool: The recall kit even comes with a mount, clamps & hoses, too.

Cheers!

hpcsvx
05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Just wondering if you've ever put up a "how to" on the install. I just picked up an SVX and am gonna do the "cooler in the fender" trick.

Also - got a good svx mechanic in Reno? I'm in Sac and Tahoe, so travel to Reno pretty often. Lastly - know any good welding shops that'll do a hitch for my SVX (gotta tow the dirt bike to all the killer riding in the Reno desert).

Hohopirates
05-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Anyone know if they sell a 4" body lift for the SVX?

Steve

hpcsvx
05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Actually, it will take a 6" lift to fit the 36" tires on the svx!

In reality - I got tired of driving a boring pickup- SVX is fun and awd (I work in snow country in the winter). I just need to make it a little more versatile.

Earthworm
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Anyone know if they sell a 4" body lift for the SVX?Take a look at the ground control kit. You should be able to lift the SVX that much depending on where you weld the new spring seat to the strut assembly. I'm sure the Koni's have more travel than the stock struts.

Plus when you want to you can lower it back to stock :D

ensteele
05-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Just wondering if you've ever put up a "how to" on the install. I just picked up an SVX and am gonna do the "cooler in the fender" trick.

Also - got a good svx mechanic in Reno? I'm in Sac and Tahoe, so travel to Reno pretty often. Lastly - know any good welding shops that'll do a hitch for my SVX (gotta tow the dirt bike to all the killer riding in the Reno desert).

I won't let them hijack this thread! Yes, there is a How-To in the Documents. (I think). I will check and if not, I will put one in. :)

hpcsvx
05-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks Ensteele - I look forward to the "how to". Hoping to get a trans cooler in the fender in the next week or two.

Just for the record - I DO want to get a trailer hitch to tow my dirtbike trailer. I DON'T want to lift my svx, put on 36" tires, install a winch on the bumper, or mount a pair of horns on the hood - although that would make for a pretty wild entry in a monster truck pull!

Hohopirates
05-04-2005, 10:01 AM
There is actually an STI on ebay right now with a hitch....and SVX ok.....but an STI?!?!

Steve