PDA

View Full Version : New Body Kit for SVX

kewilo
03-23-2005, 10:33 PM
OK all,

I've purchased a second SVX in Febuary which is currently undergoing a manual swap. The ECUtune chip should be here soon as well as a used set of tail lights and interior panelling which i will be attempting to mod... plus many other mods. It's gonna take a while. :(

After checking and rechecking the SVX's styling i've concluded that it's front and rear bumpers are not low enough to the ground and don't seem to extend out far enough. It needs a bodykit! And i'm not willing to spend thousands on a japanese kit.

Originally i was going to have a kit chopped for my car but then remembered that there's money to be made from you guys. ;) After taking to a local ground effects shop that my shop deals with, here is what i found out. It will cost me approx $5000 to make a mold of a nicely detailed kit (nice curves and openings) not a basic looking alternative to stock. Some kits i've mentioned were Vielside, Blitz, and KStaff's, further discussion required).

What i'd like to know from y'all are the styles of kits you'd like to see on an SVX. Please mention all sides.

Also like to know how many of you would seriously be interested in purchasing a kit. I would have to sell about 8 kits to break even.

Price per kit will be around $1200 plus $200 for shipping. Prices are in CDN$, yes i'm in Canada (Toronto). There should be no need to worry about duties (NAFTA-free trade).

I need as much feedback as possible so start typing guys and gals. Please respond with kits you'd like to see.
Thanks for the help.

Also spoke to local coilover manufacturer about a custom system for my SVX. It will cost approx. $3000 for a prototype and will sell for around $2000 CDN. Coilover will be mono tube gas filled.

I just want the best for my baby.

Electrophil
03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
OK all,

I've purchased a second SVX in Febuary which is currently undergoing a manual swap. The ECUtune chip should be here soon as well as a used set of tail lights and interior panelling which i will be attempting to mod... plus many other mods. It's gonna take a while. :(

After checking and rechecking the SVX's styling i've concluded that it's front and rear bumpers are not low enough to the ground and don't seem to extend out far enough. It needs a bodykit! And i'm not willing to spend thousands on a japanese kit.

Originally i was going to have a kit chopped for my car but then remembered that there's money to be made from you guys. ;) After taking to a local ground effects shop that my shop deals with, here is what i found out. It will cost me approx $5000 to make a mold of a nicely detailed kit (nice curves and openings) not a basic looking alternative to stock. Some kits i've mentioned were Vielside, Blitz, and KStaff's, further discussion required).

What i'd like to know from y'all are the styles of kits you'd like to see on an SVX. Please mention all sides.

Also like to know how many of you would seriously be interested in purchasing a kit. I would have to sell about 8 kits to break even.

Price per kit will be around $1200 plus $200 for shipping. Prices are in CDN$, yes i'm in Canada (Toronto). There should be no need to worry about duties (NAFTA-free trade).

I need as much feedback as possible so start typing guys and gals. Please respond with kits you'd like to see.
Thanks for the help.

Also spoke to local coilover manufacturer about a custom system for my SVX. It will cost approx. $3000 for a prototype and will sell for around $2000 CDN. Coilover will be mono tube gas filled.

I just want the best for my baby.

As strange as it may sound from someone in the desert, if it's too low, it will catch on the flood channels in our roads. (Think sand... no place for water to go, hence flood problems or extensive channels.) For some areas, it just can't go too low, or it becomes an undriveable show piece. I'm thinking areas like Phoenix would have the same concerns.

kewilo
03-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Yes, the Svx is fairly low as it is, thanks to the H6. I've compared side by side to many vahicles and the SVX is almost always noticeably lower.

However i'm not thinking inches from the ground. What i'm certain of is the body would be much more attractive if it had a bit of a wider look and extended out to at least be flush with the outer ends of the bumper instead of tappering inwards at the bottom.

SVXMAN2001
03-24-2005, 07:42 AM
i wish i had the ability and skill to make a mold of the K-Staff bumper. That in my opinion is the best looking front bumper for the svx. I may just go and buy the thing what's a $1000 right!!

kewilo
03-24-2005, 08:42 AM
i wish i had the ability and skill to make a mold of the K-Staff bumper. That in my opinion is the best looking front bumper for the svx. I may just go and buy the thing what's a $1000 right!!

I think it's a pretty good price for a custom kit.
Still need more feedback as to what styles people would prefer.

If the KStaff style wins out, the mold would not be exact since we do not have a physical sample like we do with the domestic brands. It would be very close though.

jjcobra
03-24-2005, 12:10 PM
If I could afford it...and had an SVX I would definitly part with some hard earned money for a body kit as long as it looks good. I can't say which designs i like best seeing as how i don't even know what would sort of fit an svx. I guess I'd need links to pictures to judge.

thundering02
03-24-2005, 03:01 PM
The K satff is only the front bumper sadly (I also like it). But as is I can barely get my jack under the car without a flat so If anything I will need a new jack if I buy a lowering set-up

kewilo
03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Hhmmmmm. I'm wonderin how many voted "i like stock" just to say "up yours" :rolleyes:

Judging from previous posts on this subject there seemed to be more interest, but so far not too much feedback.
I tried to photochop some pics last night, but those skills made everything look bad.

Here are some links to pics so y'all know what i'm considering.

www.visracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_29_41_42_744&products_id=1085 - a.k.a. Blitz

www.visracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=133

I like this one: www.blitz-na.com/gallery6.htm

I couldn't find the Kstaff bumper.

C'mon all, i need more feedback.
I will be getting a kit done either by chopping my bumpers or making a mold, but if i see enough interest and get enough ideas, i will make a mold.

Thanks, and don't forget to vote.

SilverSpear
03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
You can still find better, continue with a deep search before anything you do. I have a very big Library concerning this issue, if you need any help, i will choose the best pics and send them to you

UberRoo
03-25-2005, 02:12 PM
I also think that's a pretty good price for such a one-off body kit, however what would this kit include exactly? Front and rear bumpers alone are not a body kit. When I think body kit, I also think of rocker panels, front and rear quarter panels, trunk, hood, spoiler, and door panels. What did you have in mind?

I'd like to see body kit to replicate the SVX prototype, with maybe an extra six inches of width. My primary reason for wanting the extra width is to accomodate front wheels with more positive scrub without resorting to substantially narrower wheels. In fact, the interior bead offset would remain the same, while pushing the exterior bead offset outwards a couple inches, thus the wheels would be wider. I'd like to expand the rear wheel track so that it's the same width as the front, if not a little wider. I'd also like the quarter panels to better guard the rocker panels against mud from the tires, so those could also be just slighty wider. Although I generally like the dimensions of the prototype, I'd like to shorten the front and rear of the car slightly and trim the bumpers even more. You know those BMW proportions where the wheels are really quite close to the ends of the car? That's what I'd like to achieve.

mbtoloczko
03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
When I hear full body kit, I conjur up images of the riced-out Hondas and Eclipses in my town. I wouldn't want anything remotely like this for two reasons. One is that its not my style, and two, the SVX has pretty good aerodynamics (its steady as a 3300 lb rock at 130 mph). I would worry that a full body kit would give me a rice car with reduced high speed stability. With that said, I'm not against some mild body mods. In terms of looks, I think the front bumper could extend down another inch (but no more than an inch). A molded hole in the right side of the front bumper for ram-air inlet would be nice too. I wouldn't touch the rear bumper or wing though. Both look fine to me. I could do with a side rocker panel kit. Stevesby is working on one now, but he's been to busy too complete it.

Here is the K-Staff bumper:

http://www.k-staff.net/SVX-rifre/Fspo.htm

Its way too rice for me.

BordeauxComet
03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Personally, I'm trying to keep my SVX very clean looking so I'm planning on only adding a simple lip spoiler.
http://www.evolution.co.jp/exclusive/lip/e-cx/e-cx.jpg
However, I would be interested in some sort of wide-body kit and/or something similar to the prototype SVX.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/lbridges/SVX%20Stuff/Images/SVX%20prototype.jpg
Also, for your reference, here's a pic of the Flatt-Racing half-spoiler. If I wanted to spend $1000+, I'd get it.
http://www.flatt-racing.com/media.html/svx.html/photo1.jpg

jjcobra
03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
the kstaff front bumper looks to boxy for my taste, and I shudder to imagine the damage of going over a larger than normal speedbump. I dont mind the blitz personally, the Vis ones would be out cause I'll be damned if my future svx would look like any other honda civic thatsomeone got a kit for. Sounds like most of us like the idea of a prototype replikit.

kewilo
03-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I also think that's a pretty good price for such a one-off body kit, however what would this kit include exactly? Front and rear bumpers alone are not a body kit. When I think body kit, I also think of rocker panels, front and rear quarter panels, trunk, hood, spoiler, and door panels. What did you have in mind?

I'd like to see body kit to replicate the SVX prototype, with maybe an extra six inches of width. My primary reason for wanting the extra width is to accomodate front wheels with more positive scrub without resorting to substantially narrower wheels. In fact, the interior bead offset would remain the same, while pushing the exterior bead offset outwards a couple inches, thus the wheels would be wider. I'd like to expand the rear wheel track so that it's the same width as the front, if not a little wider. I'd also like the quarter panels to better guard the rocker panels against mud from the tires, so those could also be just slighty wider. Although I generally like the dimensions of the prototype, I'd like to shorten the front and rear of the car slightly and trim the bumpers even more. You know those BMW proportions where the wheels are really quite close to the ends of the car? That's what I'd like to achieve.

Here's what i first considered; front & rear bumpers, side skirts, spoiler, and a lip for the wheel wells (like the wheel wells in the blitz link above) However, i decided to stick with the most common pieces; two bumpers and skirts. Anything else would be a personal project.

I don't think shortening the svx's front and rear end's would suit the car. The design of the svx is lower and more smooth all round than a bmw's which is fairly tall with a squared shape.
When i see the svx from a distance, half the time it looks to be kinda of stubby because of a sharp incline where the windshield and rear window meets the body which makes the hood look short. I believe that extending the front and rear ends would significantly add to it's areodynamic look and fix the "stubby" problem.

Thanks to Bordeau for the pics.
Between kstaff's and Flatt's bumpers, Flatt's seems to have more character. Extending the ends of the sideskirts upwards at the wheel wells and tappering them off where the door guards are installed would give the car a wide body look. As long as it is flush to the widest part of the car. that is what the prototype widebody is? or did i miss something.

Great response so far guys.
Thanks

Rotorflyr
03-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Hhmmmmm. I'm wonderin how many voted "i like stock" just to say "up yours" :rolleyes:

Thanks, and don't forget to vote.

I voted I like stock just to say up yours...... :p

Weasel 22
03-25-2005, 10:14 PM
I voted up yers! :D

Stevebsy
03-25-2005, 11:43 PM
You forgot me I think....
Oh..and yes I know you're waiting for the sides done for 2 years now...

http://x35performance.com/svx/mini-100_4796.JPG

NeedForSpeed
03-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Steve,

Do you have a time-table yet? Hey, it's spring, catch the fever, and give us some quality pieces. The area between the front and rear wheels is the production design weakness. Let's have those prototype pieces!

Now we know you're around, so??

You forgot me I think....
Oh..and yes I know you're waiting for the sides done for 2 years now...

http://x35performance.com/svx/mini-100_4796.JPG

UberRoo
03-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Here's what i first considered; front & rear bumpers, side skirts, spoiler, and a lip for the wheel wells (like the wheel wells in the blitz link above) However, i decided to stick with the most common pieces; two bumpers and skirts. Anything else would be a personal project.

I don't think shortening the svx's front and rear end's would suit the car. The design of the svx is lower and more smooth all round than a bmw's which is fairly tall with a squared shape.
When i see the svx from a distance, half the time it looks to be kinda of stubby because of a sharp incline where the windshield and rear window meets the body which makes the hood look short. I believe that extending the front and rear ends would significantly add to it's areodynamic look and fix the "stubby" problem.Remember during the late 70's and early 80's when a lot of cars had those enormous "bookshelf" bumpers as a result of the mandated 5mph collision survivability standard? On some cars they actually looked good, but most of the time they really detracted from the overall appearance. Many people never even noticed the change when the mandate was recalled, but I sure did. To me, the car should end at the lights. In my not-so-humble opinion, the bumpers should not extend past the headlights nor past the tail lights. My preference would be to shorten the prototype bumper about two inches. I know exactly what you're saying how the car looks "stubby." I've noticed it too. I would decrease the slope of the hood along the majority of it's length, but have it drop off more abruptly near the headlights. By adding more bulk in the front, I think it would give an impression of a larger car and fix that "where'd they put the engine?" appearance. This would also provide more room under the hood for, uh, stuff. Heh, heh, heh... :) Of course, doing this requires reworking the shape of the front quarter panels, but that's necessary anyway with a prototype kit. And aerodynamics? Bah! I don't care if I'm getting two gallons per mile as long as I'm going fast and looking good.

Unfortunately, I realize that what I'm asking is a pretty tall order, but I just don't think it's possible to adequately replicate the prototype without a complete body kit. Everything except the hood, the windows, and the roof needs to be replaced (or covered, *gag*.) In my dream scenario, the hood and roof would also go under the knife. (I'm particularly fond of the shape the factory hood, but I'd like the depression in the center to be exaggerated; deeper, much like Corvettes.)

I'd like to interject a couple pieces of information that relate to my motivations for wanting a body kit. First, the rear wheels are about two inches closer together than the front wheels. I've noticed it, (and measured it,) and it looks weird to me. (Besides, our fat and sexy trunk would look even sexier if it were fatter.) Second, the front wheels have a considerable amount of negative scrub. This means that when you hit the brakes, the car tries to steer for you and seeks better traction. If you're a little old lady who needs the help, that's great. If you're a performance enthusiast who wants better feedback from the steering wheel, that's bad. Porsches have lots of positive scrub. It doesn't correct for you, but gives you great feedback so you can correct as you wish. Having driven cars with both setups, I can tell you I really dislike negative scrub. The only way to fix it on our cars is to use wheels with lots of offset, but those would stick out past the fenders quite a ways.

Not to burst your bubble, but unless the screwy suspension geometry can be fixed, there's no love here. ...at least not enough to spend a couple grand. I'm in it for the widebody; the rest is just frosting on the cake. The way I see it though, if you're baking a bad-ass cake, why not use bad-ass frosting?

thundering02
03-26-2005, 01:28 AM
Go Buy a Honda they seem to meet you body style charcteristics I'll even tape the windows for you so you think you still have the SVX :eek: :D :rolleyes:

GreenMarine
03-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Everyone here should know which one I voted under :rolleyes:

ANOTHER bodykit thread.... :rolleyes: It's nice to see that younger people are owning SVXi now, but damn, can't the appreciate it for the beautiful thing that it is???? :confused:....

n00b on demand
03-26-2005, 10:43 AM
I dont get why all you people have to come with negative comments in threads like this. Leave it stock leave it stock is all i hear some people say. If you wanted it stock then y did u convert it to a 5 spd?? Because you wanted to have fun driving it right? because you liked it better right? Then thats the same reason why some people do other mods...because they want to drive a car they like more. I think it would be pretty cool if someone came up with a trunk lid that looks like the prototype! ;)

Weasel 22
03-26-2005, 10:55 AM
I dont get why all you people have to come with negative comments in threads like this. Leave it stock leave it stock is all i hear some people say. If you wanted it stock then y did u convert it to a 5 spd?? Because you wanted to have fun driving it right? because you liked it better right? Then thats the same reason why some people do other mods...because they want to drive a car they like more. I think it would be pretty cool if someone came up with a trunk lid that looks like the prototype! ;)

good point..im not truly against it..I just liked the 'up yours' option..I didnt put it there..but I used it :D
and you are very correct..I noticed quite the majority of SVXi are modded on here in one way or another..hell, mine is probably more stock than most

Stevebsy
03-26-2005, 11:23 AM
[world's smallest violin]
Well..way back when I started these things..I was unemployed, so I had time to work on them. Now I have a good job again, but I'm working 10-12 or so hours a day, so fitting these in, along with family stuff and all that...well it's not easy. Plus I moved, so I really don't have much of a working area now, so I'm still trying make some space for working on stuff like this.
[/world's smallest violin]

Steve,

Do you have a time-table yet? Hey, it's spring, catch the fever, and give us some quality pieces. The area between the front and rear wheels is the production design weakness. Let's have those prototype pieces!

Now we know you're around, so??

kewilo
03-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Wow!!

I'm suprised so many voted "up yours"
Maybe i should of made the last option:

"Kewilo is a great lookin guy, but i like it stock" :D

I wonder if I can still change it. ;)

kewilo
03-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Just so you all know, i'm not some young kid trying to get the attention of the local high school girls.

I believe the svx is almost perfect all round. I think an aggresive look via a bodykit would do good to compliment the H6 and the design. As long as it's done properly. Usually i have good taste (which remains to be seen), simple, yet attractive.

I've read Stevesby's post on his projects, but i can't wait forever and i may not like it, so i'm doing my own. I do know he has many other commitments so he doesn't have time to complete the project.

Keep up the votin.

THAWA
03-27-2005, 12:51 AM
ANOTHER bodykit thread.... :rolleyes: It's nice to see that younger people are owning SVXi now, but damn, can't the appreciate it for the beautiful thing that it is???? :confused:....

I completely agree.

NeedForSpeed
03-27-2005, 01:27 AM
I hear you, been there and back many times.

When you have the time, you don't have the money. When you have the money, you can't find the time. The key is find the balance, where you have the money [job] and the time. Good luck. The response to your project was overwhelmingly positive, so I hope you can find a way to bring it home.

[world's smallest violin]
Well..way back when I started these things..I was unemployed, so I had time to work on them. Now I have a good job again, but I'm working 10-12 or so hours a day, so fitting these in, along with family stuff and all that...well it's not easy. Plus I moved, so I really don't have much of a working area now, so I'm still trying make some space for working on stuff like this.
[/world's smallest violin]

jjcobra
03-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Oddly enough even with all the negativity by some and the cautious optimism by others, the vote stands at 50/50. Well maybe like 20/80 if the body kits we could vision on an SVX were hideous. And I may be young, but sadly most girls here in CT aren't all that interested in SVXs. Now show them a VW Cabrio or an orriginal Mini Cooper and they are like "AWWWWWWWW, it's so tiny and cute". Either that or they all just say is it worth more than 50 grand.... Sometimes I just wonder if thats my part of CT.... But gals here are shallow as can be. Worst thing is, I'm not even from a rich town. But hey if there are any rich folk out there donations are always welcome to the JJCobra Fund, it is a tax writeoff as a charitable contribution and will be put to good use of getting me a SVX (and a computer that doesn't require miniature monkeys inside of it to read little punch cards)

And once again I have gone so far off of topic that even I am amazed.

kewilo
03-30-2005, 07:01 PM
It's been one week and there doesn't seem to be enough interest from members in regards to purchasing a bodykit.

Members have shown interest in Flatts, K-Staffs, and the prototype front bumpers. I am leaning towards Flatt's bumper which i think has more character. As for the side skirts and wide body kit (front bumper also), i like the one in this link:

www.blitz-na.com/gallery6.htm

There has been close to 600 views of this post and only 34 members have voted. Guess it's fair to assume the balance is going with "i like it stock".

I would still like to have a mold made but it may not be financially responsible. There is still time before i decide.

Keep those votes coming guys.

Landshark
03-30-2005, 07:30 PM
while i'm not in the market for a bodykit, i think a widebodied SVX would look very cool. and by widebody, i don't mean goofy-looking boxy fenders - i think just exagerrating the mild flares the SVX already has would look really nice and allow for wider tires (which would also look very nice. :) )

as far as the front, i never liked how the bottom angles downward toward the wheels, if that makes any sense. the two-piece splitters that are available seem to fix that nicely, though, without being too obnoxious.

thundering02
03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Not a fan of the wide above and ufortunatly I think most of us are way to broke to actually say yes to this

Landshark
03-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Not a fan of the wide above and ufortunatly I think most of us are way to broke to actually say yes to this

i could afford one, but i'll be getting an STi instead. ;) :D

Electrophil
03-30-2005, 08:21 PM
i could afford one, but i'll be getting an STi instead. ;) :D

Go ahead!! Rub it in!! :D

blacknite
03-31-2005, 11:16 AM
I Always Want To Have An Svx Looking Like This, Like The Real Luxury Sport Car That It Is An Very Unique!!!! I Love This Body Kit I Hope Sameone Can Make One For The Svx

BordeauxComet
03-31-2005, 02:13 PM
I Always Want To Have An Svx Looking Like This, Like The Real Luxury Sport Car That It Is An Very Unique!!!! I Love This Body Kit I Hope Sameone Can Make One For The SvxThat's a Do-Luck kit.

kewilo
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
I Always Want To Have An Svx Looking Like This, Like The Real Luxury Sport Car That It Is An Very Unique!!!! I Love This Body Kit I Hope Sameone Can Make One For The Svx

Grrrrrrr! I put six folds in my magazine of that pic. That is one sweet kit, too bad it wouldn't suit the SVX. However, something similar may look good.

jjcobra
03-31-2005, 05:32 PM

Looks like a Supra or one of the newer RX-7s to me. I agree with a few others, nice kit, don't know how well it would work with a SVX. At least it doesn't make the car look like a Civic though. And anytime something doesnt look like a Honda I'm really happy.

blacknite
03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
That Just An Example... Of What Imagination Can Do. But That Is A Unique Look For A Unique Car. Something With Real Good Taste. And We Have A Unique Car With Unique Performance Why Not Create Something For Svx Not A Copy From Another Car Svx Is Not A Copy. Hopefully This Will Happend Someday.... If Earthworm Can Create A Supercharge Why Not Create A Bodykit???? One Day In My Dreams!!

Earthworm
04-01-2005, 07:10 AM
If Earthworm Can Create A Supercharge Why Not Create A Bodykit????Did I miss something here?

curly2k3
04-01-2005, 09:43 AM
You guys are aproching the situation completely wrong. The SVX is way too unique of a design to put on a run of the mill Rice Rice Baby body kit, considering the car was basically targeted at Europe and the US I thing we need to take stying cue Ideas from our exotics and euro-exotics and find the median. This car will always looked pinched on the seems with simple bumpers, what this car needs is a 1 of a kind widebody kit that isn't derived from any other kit. I have made several sketches of them and I am almost to the right design, however I will not simply intigrate cues from other cars into the design, the only thing on the car that resembles another is the windows, which are that of the Delorean's, other than that this car is a one off for subie, with that said I think we should be looking more into a SCCA taylored look or a german cup car for inspiration, I would post mine but the size of the file is HUGE for some reason, maybe I'll rescan it tho, I wanna know what others think of my view on this matter.

Chris

Earthworm
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Sounds like you're using a BMP file format. Try JPG and play with the compression until you get the size/quality you want.

paparicky
04-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi, here a Photoshop work of my SVX, now it's white, i hope to finish it before next summer.

thundering02
04-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Civic Kit. :p

kewilo
04-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Great photochopping. It provides a great alternate of how an SVX can look.
Any other chopped pics out there?

Yes, the SVX is a unique car and it will get a unique kit. I'm using all the pics posted as a reference to what shape and possible designs would suit it best.

Here's what i'm sure of and not sure of so far.

Front bumper:
will be a bit wider than stock
openings will be designed for ram intake
one larger opening
openings for fog lights?
will not taper inwards at bottom

Rear bumper:
not sure yet about any openings - considering openings that will be meshed, but don't want to rice it out.
exhaust tips may have to be extended to accommodate rear bumper

Skirts:will be an inch wider - running under the door and up the two sides to where the panel is clipped in.

I expect the kit to give the SVX a bit of a squared off look. A stronger, more sophisticated look compared to the softer feminine look.

I will be meeting with my bodykit guy next week and see how much further i can go with this.

Don't forget to vote.

mbtoloczko
04-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi, here a Photoshop work of my SVX, now it's white, i hope to finish it before next summer.

Kick-ass photoshop work.

curly2k3
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
hey Earth worm, I'm retarded and can't figure out how to post a pic, can I email it to you?

GreenMarine
04-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Did I miss something here?

The argument is pretty much this.... If we can modify the mechanics of the cars, why can't they modify the body????

A valid argument....

And here is mine....

Yes I did do the 5 speed swap... And the Koni/GC suspension swap.... And the 3 peice Stabro exhaust.... and the 18" ICW Trident D7 wheels.... These mods were done to make the car better handling and more fun to drive..... And it does exactly that, it corners better than a Z06, and is more fun to drive (IMHO) than a Stock WRX...

Here is my point on the Body Modification....

From the factory, the SVX had a .29 Drag Coefficent (.28 w/o the spoiler). The car's aerodynamics are damn near as perfect as possible for a road car. Gugario(sp?) designed the car, Subaru spent Hundreds of Hours on windtunnel testing, making sure that everything on the car was designed so that the car would slip through the air with as little resistance as possible... Did it work? HELL YES it DID!!! I've never known of a car that weighs as much as this car and only has 230hp that is such an amazing High speed cruiser... I would say that the only thing I can't understand that Subaru did (cosmetically) would be that damn waterfall (the fake light in the front)... But since they fixed it in the 97 model years (and the S4 SVX in Japan) then that is an alright mod... Anything else done to the body of this car will HURT the aerodynamics of the car and also the Highspeed handling/stabability.... That means EVERYTHING... I'm pretty sure that when Subaru set out to build a car, they put just a few more hours and $$$ in designing the front bumper (example) than any aftermarket fabrication shop would ever do...

That is my Argument... I see it as a VERY valid point to make.... Besides, what do body kits do anyways besides affect the intended handeling or your car??? They are for looks... So, that means that they are to try to get the attention of others... Doesn't the car attract enough attention as it is??? Mine sure does... If you want more attention than the stock SVX draws then (IMHO) you are an Attention *****... :rolleyes:

But what all this really comes down to is: Diffrence of Oppinion... This is my oppinion. I look at it more from a mechanical/functional side of things...

What someone wants to do with their car is their choice... Don't let anyone stop you if you want to do something to your SVX's body. If that is what floats your boat then DO IT!! :)

Just remember, when you ask for oppinions, you will most certanly get mine uncensored and unbarred... IMHO, those are the best sort of oppinions... But again, that is just my oppinion :D

GreenMarine
04-12-2005, 09:01 AM
hey Earth worm, I'm retarded and can't figure out how to post a pic, can I email it to you?

You're not retarded..... I did the same thing when I was a n00b... Actually did it about a year and a half ago too... :rolleyes:

Your picture has to be hosted by an online Picture thingie... (ie. Imagestation, Yaho Photos... ect)... Then you type "" "the hyper link to that photo on the site" "".... Good luck :)

kewilo
04-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Subaru spent Hundreds of Hours on windtunnel testing, making sure that everything on the car was designed so that the car would slip through the air with as little resistance as possible... Did it work? HELL YES it DID!!! I've never known of a car that weighs as much as this car and only has 230hp that is such an amazing High speed cruiser... I would say that the only thing I can't understand that Subaru did (cosmetically) would be that damn waterfall (the fake light in the front)... But since they fixed it in the 97 model years (and the S4 SVX in Japan) then that is an alright mod... Anything else done to the body of this car will HURT the aerodynamics of the car and also the Highspeed handling/stabability.... That means EVERYTHING...

I agree that the mock light grill has to go, it serves no purpose.

As for the front bumper; there is always room for improvement. If the svx rated high in a wind tunnel with the current bumper who's to say that a bumper with a different shape wouldn't rate just as high, as long as there is R&D invested into doing so.. Not that i have the resources for R&D.
Again.. there is always room for improvement.
Although most use a bodykit for cosmetic advantages it can provide many practical uses such as..

cold air dam
foglight pockets
brake cooling vents
engine heat vent
handling stability

..and many aftermarket kits are designed with these factors in mind.

Please keep in mind that all production cars are produced with a basic style so to appeal to the masses, such as the SVX.

Just my two cents.

NomadTW
04-13-2005, 01:21 AM
I agree that the mock light grill has to go, it serves no purpose.

As for the front bumper; there is always room for improvement. If the svx rated high in a wind tunnel with the current bumper who's to say that a bumper with a different shape wouldn't rate just as high, as long as there is R&D invested into doing so.. Not that i have the resources for R&D.
Again.. there is always room for improvement.
Although most use a bodykit for cosmetic advantages it can provide many practical uses such as..

cold air dam
foglight pockets
brake cooling vents
engine heat vent
handling stability

..and many aftermarket kits are designed with these factors in mind.

Please keep in mind that all production cars are produced with a basic style so to appeal to the masses, such as the SVX.

Just my two cents.

don't forget FMIC....
but then steve's bumper covers that
the bumper is fine stock the half spoiler, or the lip spoilers that dale sells knockoffs of help the front look enough
i would get steve's bumper personaly.. work on the rest of the car for the body kit and work around one of the other front end options out there... side skirts of some sort would be great to go w/ the front, eliminate the plastic cladding and the divot between the plastic and the metal and redo the rear bumper w/o that body line and do some undercar airflow vents ala rear of ferrari 360 http://www.carobu.com/assets/images/Lighting-Tail_Light-Clear.jpg

SilverSpear
04-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Great photochopping. It provides a great alternate of how an SVX can look.
Any other chopped pics out there?

Yes, the SVX is a unique car and it will get a unique kit. I'm using all the pics posted as a reference to what shape and possible designs would suit it best.

Here's what i'm sure of and not sure of so far.

Front bumper:
openings will be designed for ram intake
one larger opening
openings for fog lights?
will not taper inwards at bottom

Rear bumper:
not sure yet about any openings - considering openings that will be meshed, but don't want to rice it out.
exhaust tips may have to be extended to accommodate rear bumper

Skirts:will be an inch wider - running under the door and up the two sides to where the panel is clipped in.

I expect the kit to give the SVX a bit of a squared off look. A stronger, more sophisticated look compared to the softer feminine look.

I will be meeting with my bodykit guy next week and see how much further i can go with this.

Don't forget to vote.

Did you check the kit on my car? i highly recommend the front bumper design same as the one in my car, as for the skirts, i recommend Hunter's design for those... as for the rear bumper, you can check mine, but also there are a lot of better looking bumpers you can choose from...

curly2k3
04-13-2005, 06:20 AM
like I said before, I would buy your kit in a min. silverspear, I like it alot, its got a WRC feel for the streets, I would buy one as quick as you could get it hear.

SilverSpear
04-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Hehe, why don't you do a group buy thing and i will see what price i can get again for the kit similar to mine. I have to go make another pass at local fiberglass workers... but what i heard so far is that materials prices like resine, fiberglass and hardeners are getting higher because of rising petrol prices. each resine quart became near $5 at the time it was $2.15 for the good stuff (the European like Italian)...

On the other hand, i like to see some talented and curious members who are willing to present and make other kit ideas, and i am more than willing to help in anything and give advice...

kewilo
04-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Did you check the kit on my car? i highly recommend the front bumper design same as the one in my car

Not a bad looking front bumper, mine will also come out wider around the corner lights and have a similar all round shape. The large fogs are not happening for me though. The stylin of the WRX is completely different from the SVX...one is sporty/rugged while the other is sporty/classy so i'm tryin to match the lines and style of the kit to that of the car.

How's the high speed stability of the car with that bumper??

Earthworm
04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
hey Earth worm, I'm retarded and can't figure out how to post a pic, can I email it to you?Sure: david@svx-iw.com

curly2k3
04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
alright, trying to do that now, however, Im pretty dumb and I don't really know if this ones small enough either

curly2k3
04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
YES! you got mail Earthworm, tell me what you think of it

curly2k3
04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
also, after alot of design, I think the WB would need alot of work, just looking at it from a design stand point I don't think the flares really jive with the exsisting flares intigrated into teh body, what do you think, WB a little to much at this point? or do you like it how it is, I think the side skirts could be used as well as the front but I think teh flares just make it to wide in the wrong areas, also what do you think of the eye lid design, I want some opinions of SVX owners because everyone else just says hell ya! also, should I remake the fog light housings for the fog lights as well as air intakes for brake coolers? Just give my your TRUE opinion, nothing watered down about it. Thanks, Chris

Earthworm
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
YES! you got mail Earthworm, tell me what you think of itI'll let you know once I get home.

Matthewmongan
04-13-2005, 05:32 PM
the euro bumper seems to be the best from my point of view. it's true to subaru's style yet gives the car an updated look.

curly2k3
04-13-2005, 08:10 PM
K, I'll check tomarrow morning and see what you thought.

BordeauxComet
04-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Whoa, what happened to the poll? 2000 people voted for up yours! :eek:

Electrophil
04-14-2005, 12:37 AM

Looks like American Idol got it's vote lines fouled up again.

kewilo
04-14-2005, 01:09 AM
:eek:

Someone out there really likes it stock.

Can someone fix this?? :(

SilverSpear
04-14-2005, 01:13 AM

I was thinking, there is someone who is really mad from this thread.. maybe an extremist loyal to the original SVX design..
don't take those votes very seriously :D :D ;)

NomadTW
04-14-2005, 11:12 PM
must've been PETA

Electrophil
04-14-2005, 11:18 PM
must've been PETA

Ha!! I'm rolling! Now that's just flat out funny!! :D

curly2k3
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Earthworm where are you?!?! what did you think can you post it for me. Input please!

Earthworm
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Earthworm where are you?!?! what did you think can you post it for me. Input please!Sorry, was sick friday and out all weekend. I'll post it tonight.

nextse7en
04-18-2005, 07:38 PM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/nextse7en/20790.jpg

mikecg
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Is it me or does that picture look like a Dodge Intrepid?

nextse7en
04-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Ouch man, ouch... :)

Earthworm
04-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Here's the pic he was trying to post

curly2k3
04-21-2005, 05:59 AM
well what do you guys think, thanks again Earthworm

SilverSpear
04-22-2005, 02:57 AM
the thing over the wheels won't look good
it will look very cheap... i was thinking of something like the maserati style curves for the SVX sides, especially above the rear wheels. I will post some sketch i did for it by the next time i log on, i need to scan it.

curly2k3
04-22-2005, 06:05 AM
thats what I said too, I like the idea of a WB SVX but I really dislike what I drew there, other than that what do you think of the front?

SilverSpear
04-22-2005, 07:13 AM
ok, can you give me like one more month and i will show you my own remodification to my front? i will be showing my fiberglass lightweight hood, my front modification to grille and lens and remodified front bumper.... just give me till 27 MAY, it will give you awesome ideas.
in your pic, the front looks like a 94 impreza, and the front bumper is nice, reminds me of the new mercedeses front bumper design.... they look nice but not that aggressive....

L.O.R.D. SVX
07-14-2006, 11:34 PM
I think this car has nice continuous lines. Look at the ground effects all around real simple, yet striking:D . If you can get one that looks like this, where the ground effects has no taper, some kind of vent like the one in the picture or the one on corvette's coming from the engine bay area, simple, striking yet not over whelming (RICEY), I think that will only make the SVX look that much more exotic. Try and put the SVX and the LP640 side by side, the SVX CAN hold it's own, but needs these few tweeks to give it that much more spice.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/lp64006_14.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/lp64006_07.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/svxcompare1.jpg

ensteele
07-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Very interesting. :)

Jade Dragon
07-15-2006, 12:24 AM

First thing. it is ill advised to lower the rear bumber, it creates an air dam under the car, causing it to lift. If you just re-styled the rear bumber and lowered it maby an inch or so, that wouldnt hurt it too much. I like the cars styling, but i wouldnt mind a wider look to it. I like the fender scoop look, maby if we could create a skirt to give it that look. but if we did that, it would have to be a true vent, to prevent air daming. As for the front, i feel the same as for the rear, just have it lowered an inch or so. The styling of the SVX is unique. and i love it because of that. there is no other car with this look anywhere. If you use a well known kit style. it will make it look more common, and i dont want to be just another car on the road. but that just how i feel.

dmnknightomega6
07-20-2006, 10:30 PM
there is not a day I think about my front bumper, Much less sketch on bales of Paper during work.

I really Am tempted on the K staff.

I have to give it to the centrists in this thread however. I agree that the lines on the car is what this is all about. Everythime I pull up to a beemer or a Benz, I still get them to look at my car. And its in stock form.

This car looks good from the butt. No argument. Even the sides are fine.

The front takes a lot to love. I felt that the Chin is a bit weak for the car. (akin to a person who has one). What we need to look for is to face lift the chin then its all fine. The grills and vents is what gives it its character, what we need is something for the corners of this car. the tapering toward the bottom is just too...... weak.

I agree with the aerodynamics argument of greenmarine, also this car is a touring car not your quartermile ricer. All the looks i got and admiration is usually from gentlement with eurocars. You want the class baby, if you want the rice feel, get a honda CRX.

In short, This car has its own beauty, what we want is maybe make-up. I suggest to keep it clean all the time and you will be amazed how much people look at it.

L.O.R.D. SVX
07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
there is not a day I think about my front bumper, Much less sketch on bales of Paper during work.

I really Am tempted on the K staff.

I have to give it to the centrists in this thread however. I agree that the lines on the car is what this is all about. Everythime I pull up to a beemer or a Benz, I still get them to look at my car. And its in stock form.

This car looks good from the butt. No argument. Even the sides are fine.

The front takes a lot to love. I felt that the Chin is a bit weak for the car. (akin to a person who has one). What we need to look for is to face lift the chin then its all fine. The grills and vents is what gives it its character, what we need is something for the corners of this car. the tapering toward the bottom is just too...... weak.

I agree with the aerodynamics argument of greenmarine, also this car is a touring car not your quartermile ricer. All the looks i got and admiration is usually from gentlement with eurocars. You want the class baby, if you want the rice feel, get a honda CRX.

In short, This car has its own beauty, what we want is maybe make-up. I suggest to keep it clean all the time and you will be amazed how much people look at it.

Exactly, that's what I want in this car as well, CLASS:cool: .

Jade Dragon
07-20-2006, 10:46 PM
i like the front bumber. maby if we exagerate its features a little bit it might look better. but the lines have to remain. and i agree with dmn, the lower corners do need a better shape

L.O.R.D. SVX
07-23-2006, 02:47 AM
There it is. Simple, not too over whelming. I know it's not the best art work but if you blur your eyes a little, the flaws magically dissappear;) . Check how our ride compres now...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/svxkit-1.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/2002_V8_side.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/lp64006_14.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/ferrari360f1_side.jpg
...you know what the bad (or good) thing about it all, I initially spent $2700 on my "EXOTIC":D.

Electrophil
07-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I like the above design. It's very clean, not whorish in the least. I wouldn't feel the need to wear bling driving it.

I would like a kit like that, and I'm an originalist from way back.

BordeauxComet
07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
I like that too. Clean and simple.

noqu26
07-23-2006, 07:51 PM
That is what I would pay money for. It's just...
Well honestly it brings a tear to my eye.

There it is. Simple, not too over whelming. I know it's not the best art work but if you blur your eyes a little, the flaws magically dissappear;) . Check how our ride compres now...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/sleeprjdog96/svxkit-1.jpg

BordeauxComet
07-24-2006, 12:47 AM
That is what I would pay money for. It's just...
Well honestly it brings a tear to my eye.
It really wouldn't be that hard.

Just mold in some sort of universal ducts into the side skirts Stevebsy is working on (or the Delta Speed ones).
http://chargespeed.com/photo/duct/l_12.jpg

L.O.R.D. SVX
07-24-2006, 12:53 AM
It really wouldn't be that hard.

Just mold in some sort of universal ducts into the side skirts Stevebsy is working on (or the Delta Speed ones).
http://chargespeed.com/photo/duct/l_12.jpg

WOW, that would work. where can I get a few of those scoops?

SilverSpear
07-24-2006, 01:44 AM
WOW, that would work. where can I get a few of those scoops?

They won't work.

Jade Dragon
07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
That is almost exactally what i had in my mind. it is clean and simple, but gives it that ellegant argession to the body. I agree with spear, the plastic scoop things wont work for the body kit. the kit would actually have to be a pass through style. otherwise you create an air damn at the wheels.

L.O.R.D. SVX
07-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't those pass through type scoops not work? And if it ain't pass through and the grill I see is a fake, then can't it be changed to be pass through? The scoop has a step down design so the side of the car as a whole would be clean with no scoop sticking out. It would rather be sinking in the body. To me that's nice. To some extent when the scoop is mounted like the picture, it must be directing some air towards the rear brakes, making it a functional add, right? Just wondering.:confused:

SilverSpear
07-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't those pass through type scoops not work?

Take the rear side panel off the body and check how the metal is tailored underneath it. I have thought about it long before you, I wanted to make something similar to that shape passing to the doors, but I realized that the metal has to be reshaped to achieve that goal.

Installing it over the panel looks bulky, so I suggest dropping that idea