PDA

View Full Version : parts I need to do 5-speed swap

SilVerXtc
03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok I've read Huck's 5-speed swap. I'm planning on putting a dual-range and 3:90 gears in my Forester In about a week. so I will have the forester 5-speed and 4:11 diff to put in my SVX. I will probably be useing the Hydraulic clutch set up from my forester as well. So Far to you guys see any problems with the parts I'm useing for the SVX swap? I know I will need to get a pedal assembly. Huck reccomends the older legacy set up. I've also seen the 5-speed kits on Small Car.com. Do you guys recommend I get the Basic 5-speed kit for $299. from Small car.com. I'm not sure how many parts I will need from that kit.

Earthworm
03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
The $299 kit will be helpful as it reduces the amount of parts you need to make. It also saves some time. I managed to do the swap without the kit.

Subafreak
03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Thats cool are you getting a JDM duel range tranny for your Forester from a Liberty?

The older Legacy pedal box will not work with the Forester tranny. The Forester uses a hydro clutch and the older Legacys use a cable. Hucks write-up is with useing the cable style. I think the smallcar kit is for the mounting of the hydro set up so it might be worth it for that but I've heard a few other things about the rest of the kit.

SilVerXtc
03-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Subafreak
Thats cool are you getting a JDM duel range tranny for your Forester from a Liberty?

The older Legacy pedal box will not work with the Forester tranny. The Forester uses a hydro clutch and the older Legacys use a cable. Hucks write-up is with useing the cable style. I think the smallcar kit is for the mounting of the hydro set up so it might be worth it for that but I've heard a few other things about the rest of the kit.

Actually I think its a ea82 dual range from a Loyale. Mudrat made a adapter kit so it would bolt up to my engine. This is a much cheaper route than having a Forester Dual range imported. And I think I will actually get lower gearing with the ea82.

Ok, so I need to get pedal assembly from a hydraulic Subaru. Or Maybe I should just use the pedal assembly from the forester in the SVX. Since the dual range going into the Forester is Cable. I'll just get a cable pedal assembly for the Forester.

n00b on demand
03-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Yea why wouldn't you use the forester pedal assembly?

mbtoloczko
03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
After buying the smallcar kit, and looking at it, I don't recommend it. It makes for a low quality installation. The biggest problem I see with it is that the driveshaft is poorly supported, the rear tranny mount is kinda lame, and the shift linkage support is kinda lame too. It does have a nice template though for where the holes in the firewall need to be drilled.

If you have no fabrication skills, then maybe the smallcar kit is an ok option if you are willing to live with substandard quality, but if you know how to cut, bend, and weld sheet metal, then you don't need the smallcar kit.

Earthworm
03-04-2005, 11:44 AM
I agree with mbtoloczko in that you wouldn't want to JUST use the kit. Look into ways to use the kit to help you with the installation. Always look into ways to improve your install during the conversion.

TXCESSVX
03-05-2005, 07:10 AM
I'm glad to see you have given consideration to the Pedal Assy issue and the Clutch Actuator issues,

but you should also give some thought to the Rear Tranny Support issue as well.

There are a couple of ways to deal with it.
A search will reveal several conversations and some good photos on diferent members solutions to their setup.

Also the Shifter Anchoring Braket can become an issue if you don't plan for it. Small car's kit helps with that.

The shifting rods need an accuratly measured modification or you could end up with the shif stick standing improperly in the center console. This could result in bumping the shifter surround plate during shifts. (minor issue, but annoying)

with a stick shift you will have options on an appropriate shift knob and boot too. You will want it to look good when youre done, won;t you?

The more you know about the issues, the better prepared you will be to deal with them.

I hope your swap goes as easily for you as mine went for me. I'm sure you will be glad you did.

TXCESSVX

Subafreak
03-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by SilVerXtc

Actually I think its a ea82 dual range from a Loyale. Mudrat made a adapter kit so it would bolt up to my engine. This is a much cheaper route than having a Forester Dual range imported. And I think I will actually get lower gearing with the ea82.

Ok, so I need to get pedal assembly from a hydraulic Subaru. Or Maybe I should just use the pedal assembly from the forester in the SVX. Since the dual range going into the Forester is Cable. I'll just get a cable pedal assembly for the Forester.

Ah, OK. Yes the EA82 trannys had a much lower low range, I just did't realize your were getting the Mudrat kit. Is your Farester lifted?

Anyway, l guess you could just use the pedal box out of the Forester and a cable box out of an older Legacy or Imprezza will be alot cheaper and easier to get to put back in the Forester.

Good luck with your conversion, and so far your getting alot of good advice.

SilVerXtc
03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks guys this advice is really helping me out. I'm trying to get all the info I can to make sure this conversion goes smoothly and quickly as possible without any unforseen issues.