PDA

View Full Version : "Dated 'Nightrider' look?"

SVXRide
02-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Well, the SmallCar grill has hit Ebay...can't say I support their ad text:rolleyes:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=7954005716&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=7954005716&rd=1)

-Bill

Landshark
02-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SVXRide
Well, the SmallCar grill has hit Ebay...can't say I support their ad text:rolleyes:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=7954005716&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=7954005716&rd=1)

-Bill

i'd have to agree - i hate the waterfall grille, and the two-toned painted SVX's as well. just my opinion, though - lots of people like 'em, but i think they just make the car look dated.

JeffN
02-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I like em all but i think the waterfal is most distinct having owned 92 & 97.

Matthewmongan
02-12-2005, 05:57 PM
bid starting at 150 thats outlandish. someone is trying to dodge a chapter 11

rmjjensen
02-12-2005, 07:39 PM
i like it!! Price is a bit high, but that does look pretty darn good

BordeauxComet
02-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
bid starting at 150 thats outlandish. someone is trying to dodge a chapter 11 ...and it's $145 on their website:confused:, shouldn't it be the other way around?

BTW, has anybody ordered one yet? I'm interested to see how it looks on a bordeaux or a claret.

n00b on demand
02-12-2005, 08:02 PM
It does look really good...too high a price for me to buy though....can get a 97 grill for the same price or cheaper.

Rotorflyr
02-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BordeauxComet
BTW, has anybody ordered one yet? I'm interested to see how it looks on a bordeaux or a claret.

I ordered one, however it will be on a liquid silver, so can't help you out with how it will look on a bordeaux or claret :p

Ciscokid
02-12-2005, 09:12 PM
I think it looks nice in the pics they have on Ebay, I like the way they paint it to match the car.

I am not too sure I like it for 180+ dollars but it may be a future mod.

**Anyone know the HP gain with this on the car?? :D

Chiketkd
02-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I also think the Ebay price is outlandish, but the look is quite nice IMHO.

http://www.smallcar.com/ebay/images/redsvx2.jpg

I'll probably get one in the future - way future - as cosmetic improvements aren't high on my priority list of mods. ;)

-Chike

n00b on demand
02-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Damn red looks so good :D

mohrds
02-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I just love the way so many people say "it costs too much".

They have R&D costs, material costs, setup costs, small run costs, etc. I doubt they ever expected to sell more that a hundred of them since it is such a rare car. To put that kind of effort in is just amazing.

I have done some R&D into SVX mods and they were always met with price complainers. So I stopped spending my time and money to try and help the community. Now I hear "why aren't you doing that anymore"

This is a rare car and any aftermarket parts are close to a financial loss for the creator because they will sell so few. If you are looking for cheap aftermarket parts, you have to look at a car where they will sell thousands of parts a year. That would be a Honda Civic.

I applaud SmallCar for all they have done to help the SVX community.

Doug

Ciscokid
02-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I hear you mohrds but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say: it is not as cost effect as some things.

Like Chike said, cosmetic improvements are low on my list, I would rather spend the 180+ on an Ecutune chip or new brakes, something that helps performance.

I join you in applauding Smallcar, they do great work, and I bought their shift kit, again, a mechanical improvement over cosmetic. I don't plan to take my car to a show and win trophies, I want to enjoy driving the car as much as possible.

svxistentialist
02-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I think it is great.

It looks individual, and I like the idea that the holes let air through. The waterfall grill is practically impossible to keep pristine, as the topcoat yellows, blisters and flakes with stone chips.

It also seems crazy and a nonsense to me that a car with a high-output engine, making as much heat as the SVX does, has a false grill in front at the high pressure nose of the car, which does not let cooling air through it.

As far as I am concerned, the open grill is a performance mod, and will be a bonus to me when I supercharge.

Joe:)

PS. In the states, you guys hate your cars being mistaken for Saturns, am I right?

Well, top insult for me is to mention Kitt or Knight Rider in the same sentence as my car.:mad: I now have a David Hasslehof picture on my dartboard to redress the balance.

immortal_suby
02-13-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3617&highlight=kitt

svxistentialist
02-13-2005, 03:41 PM
No accounting for taste.

:eek:

Landshark
02-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by mohrds
I applaud SmallCar for all they have done to help the SVX community.

me, too. the small number of aftermarket suppliers who create original parts for the SVX should be supported, not scoffed at.

i'll say it again - its my theory that SVX owners *for the most part* are extraordinarily CHEAP.

"i love the way people look at me like i'm in some kind of exotic car! i feel like a rockstar! OMG! $150 for a custom grille!!! i gotta find a junkyard!" :rolleyes: :D

SubaSteevo
02-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by mohrds
I just love the way so many people say "it costs too much".

I think they were refering more to the way that they are handling the sale on ebay, not the cost of the grill itself. How can you actually charge more for something in an auction?

SVXRide
02-13-2005, 08:05 PM
My guess is that the price is higher to account for the "cut" Ebay takes from every sale...
-Bill (happy with his '97 grill....and also happy that SmallCar has come out with their version...)

Chiketkd
02-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by svxistentialist
It also seems crazy and a nonsense to me that a car with a high-output engine, making as much heat as the SVX does, has a false grill in front at the high pressure nose of the car, which does not let cooling air through it.

As far as I am concerned, the open grill is a performance mod, and will be a bonus to me when I supercharge.
Good point Joe. This grill should improve airflow to the engine bay as well as the top of the radiator. I also think Smallcar mentions on their site that it weighs a little less than the stock grill...

Improved cooling airflow and weight reduction! Hmm...maybe I'll get one in Xmas of '05. :)

-Chike

svxcess
02-13-2005, 09:22 PM
I recently got my polo green back from the shop after the SUV encounter.

I must say that brand-new headlights and a brand-new waterfall grille, glistening and reflecting in the bright sun like a piece of Baccarat crystal, is still a pretty sight to behold.

I love that smooth, unbroken line across the entire front of the car; matches the smooth unbroken line of tail light/ center panel across the rear of the car.

Seraph
02-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

I think they were refering more to the way that they are handling the sale on ebay, not the cost of the grill itself. How can you actually charge more for something in an auction?

Not everyone knows of this site or their site. So they can charge what they want. Look at procarparts and what they used to charge on the reverse glow dash kit.

I'd do it too.

Like Doug said, R&D on this car costs way too much. We've melted a new 97 grill while testing out things. That's a part of cost of R&D. How may of you out there would go melt a 97 grill and just shake it off as if nothing happened. How many of you would crack a few tail lights just to see how they open up?

Pure_Insanity8
02-14-2005, 01:20 AM
It is too bad that the grille is expensive for such a small piece of plastic. However, I understand that it really took a lot of time and effort do design a nice new grille and make a mold for reproducing it. I thought they were never going to actually make it, and have been pleasantly surprised that they did! It looks great! It doesn't exactly have that "flow" that the original clear one does (like svxcess was saying) but it looks so much nicer and does a good job removing same of that dated look. I for one will most definitely be getting one once I have disposable cash.:)

Joe, yes... I really do hate having it mistaken for a Saturn (hence my signature).:D GTAs are cool, though.;)

svxistentialist
02-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8
It is too bad that the grille is expensive for such a small piece of plastic. However, I understand that it really took a lot of time and effort do design a nice new grille and make a mold for reproducing it. I thought they were never going to actually make it, and have been pleasantly surprised that they did! It looks great! It doesn't exactly have that "flow" that the original clear one does (like svxcess was saying) but it looks so much nicer and does a good job removing same of that dated look. I for one will most definitely be getting one once I have disposable cash.:)

Joe, yes... I really do hate having it mistaken for a Saturn (hence my signature).:D GTAs are cool, though.;)

GTA?

Do you mean the rear-engined Renault Alpine GTA?

:confused:

Pure_Insanity8
02-14-2005, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by svxistentialist

GTA?

Do you mean the rear-engined Renault Alpine GTA?

:confused:

The special edition of third generation Trans Ams... basically what KITT was made from (although I don't think that was using a GTA... just a base Firebird).

Pure_Insanity8
02-14-2005, 03:19 AM
Here is a good example of a GTA.

svxistentialist
02-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8
Here is a good example of a GTA.

OK I see.

Thanks for enlightening me Aaron. A muscle car. Cool.

Joe:)

lhopp77
02-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Yep! A female's muscle car. Definitely a lady's car. :D

Lee

svxistentialist
02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by lhopp77
Yep! A female's muscle car. Definitely a lady's car. :D

Lee

Ooooooh, Lee.....

And there I was thinking David Hasslehof was a totally butch individual!!!!....?

You got me thinking, for sure for sure

:rolleyes: :D

smallcardotcom
02-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the support from all of you who recognized the R&D factor.

As a matter of fact, when I listed the grille on eBay for $159, a price hike of $14 more than on our website, I was accounting for not only the fees associated with the listing or sale, but also the cost that Small Car Performance pays me to build the ads and the commission I make from selling them.

Soon, I will be extending a promotional combonation offer of our 2005 Grille, our Clear Headlight Kit, and the new improved, easier to install Clear Corner Light Kit. Watch my posts, it will hit the SVX forum before hitting the website or eBay.

Our eBay price has been lowered though, to include free shipping. Actually, you can get it on eBay right now for $8.50 less than our website.

SubaSteevo
02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by smallcardotcom
Thanks for the support from all of you who recognized the R&D factor.

As a matter of fact, when I listed the grille on eBay for $159, a price hike of $14 more than on our website, I was accounting for not only the fees associated with the listing or sale, but also the cost that Small Car Performance pays me to build the ads and the commission I make from selling them.

Soon, I will be extending a promotional combonation offer of our 2005 Grille, our Clear Headlight Kit, and the new improved, easier to install Clear Corner Light Kit. Watch my posts, it will hit the SVX forum before hitting the website or eBay.

Our eBay price has been lowered though, to include free shipping. Actually, you can get it on eBay right now for $8.50 less than our website.

Awesome! Keep up the good work!