PDA

View Full Version : Best Exhaust

Mrbadfish
02-10-2005, 12:13 PM
I have a 92 that it's time to replace the cats..but I was wondering what is the best system..No cats or with cats..What to do :confused:

Landshark
02-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Mrbadfish
I have a 92 that it's time to replace the cats..but I was wondering what is the best system..No cats or with cats..What to do :confused:

in CA, i'm guessing you'll need the cats.

Mrbadfish
02-10-2005, 12:39 PM
It may be the law..But I was running no cats on my STI..I just want the BEST performance !

svxfiles
02-10-2005, 01:36 PM
It may be the law..But I was running no cats on my STI..I just want the BEST performance !
Does the price matter?
How much do you want to spend?

Mrbadfish
02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Price is important;but I have a Muffler shop at my disposal..I just need to know how to build it..What size pipe?..Cats or no cats ? Resornator ? Muffler what kind ?

mbtoloczko
02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Price is important;but I have a Muffler shop at my disposal..I just need to know how to build it..What size pipe?..Cats or no cats ? Resornator ? Muffler what kind ?

What's best is currently a frequent topic of discussion here. No doubt that going catless is the way to go for power, but not everyone can or wants to do that. Beyond that, there is much debate in the exhaust design. The debate seems to center about two topics:

1 - true dual vs single main pipe
2 - what size tubing and resonators to use in either of the above situations

Speaking from my own experience, I can say that 1 7/8" OD tubing coming off the manifolds and going into a y-pipe with 2 5/8" OD main pipe with a large open chamber resonator gives great throttle response and good all-around power. Annoying resonance at 3000-4000 rpm though. Can't say how it compares with other people's setups.

BTW, what happened to your other cars?

Mrbadfish
02-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info..As for my other cars; I've have been driving Subaru’s since 1996 when I got my first all wheel drive car:)..That pretty much sold me on Subaru. I progressed from my 96 Outback Sport to the 04 STI Until I had to sell her due to bad knees & unemployment:mad:, which brought me to the SVX. :D

BigBlueSVX
02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
"RIP" kinda makes it sound like all the cars came to a horrible end:eek:

Mrbadfish
02-10-2005, 08:31 PM
"RIP" kinda makes it sound like all the cars came to a horrible end LOL :D :D
Didn't mean it to come off like that LOL..They were just loved and now belong to someone else.

mikecg
02-11-2005, 10:23 AM
I just removed my exhaust to do a tranny swop and this is what I was thinking while looking at it.

Leave the first set of cats in. (Is it still legal??) Run new pipes (2) back to were the resinator is. Flowmaster (and a few other companies I'm sure) makes a dual in dual out muffler. Put it in place of the resinator (Check the size, because I'm not postive it will fit) than run dual pipes the rest of the way to the outlets.