PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Systems

CigarJohnny
02-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Having had my last SVX stolen from my driveway, I am not about to sit idly and let it happen again to this next one. Does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket alarm system? Not looking to spend a buttload of money, but looking for something to suppliment or replace the factory system. As a backup measure I will be installing a kill switch to foil anyone that gets past the alarm.

Johnny

lee
02-06-2005, 09:26 AM
a large dobermann or pit bull would probably work:D

DEI (http://www.directed.com/ )has bought out many of the alarm companies and one of their products has worked well for me the last two years (Rattler - was on their low-end, not on their web site anymore).

I'd go to a stereo/electronics shop and look at what the market has to offer. Even if you buy online & install yourself, hearing the sales pitch might make you want one more than another.

ensteele
02-06-2005, 09:37 AM
I agree with Lee. I was in a Stereo store a while back and looked at some. There are so many brands, models, and options, it would be best to talk to an expert on the systems. Then if you want to try to get one online, you know what you are looking for. Good luck. :)

I would have to agree that a large dobermann or pit bull would probably work the best, but sometimes they like to chew on the leather. :rolleyes: :D

Rotorflyr
02-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Yep, find a place that specializes in car electronics, stereos alarms etc.....and check out what they have to offer. I would look for something with paging, which will also usually have remote start and remote cut-off as well. The decide if it's something you want to install yourself and order on-line (usually cheaper), or pay to have it done.

Landshark
02-06-2005, 11:07 AM
i remember Sears sold a battery with a remote that cut-off the power. i thought it was a pretty good idea, but it disappeared after a short time. :confused:

svxcess
02-06-2005, 11:22 AM
On all of my Corvettes I had a 12V fuel line cutoff solenoid installed between the fuel tank and the engine. When 12V was applied (through a hidden switch) the solenoid opened and fuel would flow. Then the power was removed, the solenoid closed and fuel flow stopped.

I used to park the car, flip the switch to close the solenoid and continue to run the car for another 15-20 seconds to use some of the fuel still in the line in front of the solenoid. That way, if someone wanted to steal the car it would start but not get too far before the engine would die. A thief wouldn't waste time trying to figure out what went wrong and abandon his efforts.

When I would get back into my car I woulf flip the hidden switch (opening the fuel line) and start the car as usual. Very effective.

I still have one of my older ones which still works and am considering installing it. I am trying to find other ones similar to it on the web.

ensteele
02-06-2005, 01:02 PM
If you find them, please let us know about them. Thanks. :)

CigarJohnny
02-06-2005, 02:12 PM
That fuel cutoff sounds like a great idea. With a simple kill switch the car won't start right away and they will likely know to feel around in the dash for a hidden switch but with the fuel cutoff they won't think to look for it until after they abandon the car assuming something else is wrong with it. I like it! Please shoot us all the link if you can find it. :)

Johnny

immortal_suby
02-06-2005, 02:29 PM
I prefer a more offensive approach.

http://webpages.charter.net/dheyvis/blaster.jpg

Gotta love the Blaster. :D

Just needs a voice before it goes off - " Warning! You are about to die in a fire. Step away from the vehicle. "

svxcess
02-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Still searching for the solenoids but not much luck so far, except for this one HERE (http://www.kenlowe.com.au/LFS_solenoid_valves.htm)

What would happen if you installed an inline switch, spliced into the ground wire of the fuel pump? There should be enough residual pressure in the fuel system to allow the car to start, but with the fuel pump not working the engine would quickly quit.

Sound doable?

SVXObsessed
02-06-2005, 08:35 PM
This the alarm system i have for my svx the RSX 3.5 http://www.clifford.com/matrix/responder/default.asp

I also bought a back up siren. The alarm also has a auto ignition disable if the alarm is going off. Best alarm i have ever had or seen. Kind of pricey to buy and have it installed. It may be a little over board but I think its worth it becuase it gives you a peace of mind :D

SilverSpear
02-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I prefer a more offensive approach.

http://webpages.charter.net/dheyvis/blaster.jpg

Gotta love the Blaster. :D

Just needs a voice before it goes off - " Warning! You are about to die in a fire. Step away from the vehicle. "

I TOTALLY AGREE :D :D :D :D :D

b3lha
02-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by svxcess

What would happen if you installed an inline switch, spliced into the ground wire of the fuel pump? There should be enough residual pressure in the fuel system to allow the car to start, but with the fuel pump not working the engine would quickly quit.

Sound doable?

That works - I did it to the '85 Vauxhall that I had before the SVX. A thief managed to reverse it out of it's parking space before the engine died. Then they let it run backwards down the hill and smash into the side of another parked car. :(

But if it hadn't been for the kill switch then I would have lost the car. :p

IMHO it's better to hide the kill switch in plain view. Use an SVX switch so it looks like part of the normal controls. A thief might notice a switch that looks out of place under the dash.

You could possibly install a heated-seat or headlamp-washer switch from a Euro SVX. It would look totally stock and nobody would suspect that it's a kill switch.

Bwana
02-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by b3lha

You could possibly install a heated-seat or headlamp-washer switch from a Euro SVX. It would look totally stock and nobody would suspect that it's a kill switch.

Until the valet decided he wanted his butt warmed. :p

CigarJohnny
02-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by b3lha

IMHO it's better to hide the kill switch in plain view. Use an SVX switch so it looks like part of the normal controls. A thief might notice a switch that looks out of place under the dash.

You could possibly install a heated-seat or headlamp-washer switch from a Euro SVX. It would look totally stock and nobody would suspect that it's a kill switch. I totally agree with you. I never would have thought of that but what better place than in the open where it would not be suspected (unless the thief is an SVX enthusiast). If I was to steal an SVX and saw a button for heated seats I sure as hell would try to turn them on just to check it out. Then I would run out and check the headlights to drool over the glass headlights. then, once I realized it was just a USDM SVX, I would vandalize it just for spite. :p :D

Johnny

svxcess
02-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I have hidden push-on push-off buttons under the carpeting, as well as mini-toggle switches under the carpeting, with the shaft just poking through the top of the carpet. This was more a find by touch in the less than obvious places.

under the rear ashtray on the console was where I put one on my pearlie. I put a couple of gum wrappers inside the ashtray for effect.

Earthworm
02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Or wire in a series of identical switches only one will allow you to start the car and the rest will trigger the alarm :)