PDA

View Full Version : Winter mod: Magnaflow Exhaust

Chiketkd
01-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Special thanks to Tom (Svxfiles) who worked with me on installing a magnaflow camaro muffler (pt #12266) and some 3" tips this past weekend. I now have a new appreciation for Tom's pipe bending skills! :cool:

The switch to the magnaflow exhaust shaved ~15-20lbs over the stock system.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24457.jpg

Tom and I decided to use 2.5" OD pipe back to the 2.5" inlet in the muffler. We then used 2.25" OD piping to each of the 3" stainless tips. The pipe connections are being held together by exhaust clamps at this point, as we want to be sure that there are no rattles before welding everything together in 2 weeks.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24460.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24459.jpg

We retained the stock muffler heat shield and used the rear rubber factory exhaust hangers to hold the new exhaust tightly in place.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24464.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24462.jpg

The sound of my new exhaust is addictive, and I started her up 5 different times today in the driveway just to hear the sound at idle. Redlined her once (in 2nd gear) during an afternoon drive, and the sound above 2700rpms is very Porsche-esque... :cool: Below 2700rpms, sound is closer to a 350Z/G35 coupe with an aftermarket exhaust.

The butt dyno definitely feels some extra torque down, which makes sense due to the low-restriction magnaflow muffler...

-Chike

P.S. Even though Tom used a standard pipe bender, all of the bends came out quite nicely with clean lines, and no restrictive 'crimps'... :cool:

SVXRide
01-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Chiketkd
snip* I now have a new appreciation for Tom's pipe bending skills! :cool:

-Chike

:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

-Bill (holding back the West Virginia jokes with a vengence...)

Matthewmongan
01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
those are some nice bends my hat is off, to you guys thats some nice work. (waiting for muffler to rust through to justify buying a stebro)

mbtoloczko
01-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Looks nice!

Gravija
01-30-2005, 09:02 PM
looks nice

any sound clips?

and would this still pass emissions in CA?

how much would pipe bending up to a system like that cost on average?

ensteele
01-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Nice job! I am impressed with Tom's pipe bending skills now too! :D :D

SVXtasy
01-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Same one I am using on my turbo car. But mine had a 3" inlet and 2.25X2 out if I am remembering correctly

Chiketkd
01-31-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Gravija
looks nice

any sound clips?

and would this still pass emissions in CA?

how much would pipe bending up to a system like that cost on average?
I just need to pay Tom for the pipe we used, which will probably be around $20. However, when AmazonParrot had a similar system installed at a muffler shop in town, it ran him $100 for installation (if you walk in with the muffler and tips).

Sorry no sound clips. Sounds similar to a FlowMaster camaro muffler from what people tell me. Also, this set-up would not affect your emissions as I did not touch any of the 3 cats.

-Chike

P.S. Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

n00b on demand
01-31-2005, 07:22 AM
I Have been looking to get my exhaust done too. Lookin at 80 for the magnaflow and god only knows how much they will charge for the instal......This Tom doesnt have any pipe bending skills :rolleyes: :D

svxfiles
01-31-2005, 08:57 AM
:cool: Thanks, Guys. the shop charges $35.00 an hour plus pipe. The mechanic who does it is very good. And he is well versed in turbo, NOX, as well. The parade of tire smokin WRXi and brutally fast Hondas is embarrasing.:o

Must make SVX faster!

SVXRide
01-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Just to add my 2 cents worth (maybe 5 cents worth, if you take inflation into account...) - Route 40 Auto Sales (where Tom works) in Cumberland, Maryland is one of the cleanest shops I've been in. It's very well stocked and - at $35/hour - definitely worth the drive! Something to seriously consider when faced with those nasty SVX repairs!:cool:
-Bill (speaking as one who's driven there from scenic southern Maryland:D )

fait_svx
01-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
those are some nice bends my hat is off, to you guys thats some nice work. (waiting for muffler to rust through to justify buying a stebro)

Before you do get that stebro, keep in mind that stebro is slow to send out the delivery. The stebro is a nice sounding exhaust, but its that customer satisfaction thing that really dicredits their product. If you can, try and find anyone here in the forums who might be selling theirs.

TomsSVX
01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Nice Chike. I likey, I too am getting a new exhaust in 2 weeks. I will be cutting the 2 pre-cats out. I am running a brand new custom header back system. Since I do not have the machinery required to do such a task, i will have a shop do it. I am gonna go 2x2.25" from manifold to cat then 2.5" from cat to y splitter. Then 2x2.5" to twin 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters out to the stock tips. I will be maintaining the stock flanges for the cat and having them cleaned up and welded up to the new ehaust system. Gonna cost me $400 plus but it should be worth it.

Tom

P.S. I am cutting the pre-cats to prep the car for the stage 2 nitrous package which hopefully is in the future this summer!!!:D :D

n00b on demand
01-31-2005, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SVXRide
[B] It's very well stocked and - at $35/hour - definitely worth the drive!

Wow 35 bucks an hr? Shops here charge 80 bucks an hr. :(

Chiketkd
01-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Wow 35 bucks an hr? Shops here charge 80 bucks an hr. :( [/B]
Yup, the shop at Route 40 is definitely worth the drive. Extremely clean, well-stocked and they've never not had a tool we needed. :)

I was chatting briefly with one of the mechanics who owns a modded silver '02 WRX, and he definitely knew his stuff about making Subarus go fast. Still can't believe he's selling that 'beast' for something faster!!!! :eek:

-Chike

Chiketkd
01-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by tomssvx
Nice Chike. I likey, I too am getting a new exhaust in 2 weeks. I will be cutting the 2 pre-cats out. I am running a brand new custom header back system. Since I do not have the machinery required to do such a task, i will have a shop do it. I am gonna go 2x2.25" from manifold to cat then 2.5" from cat to y splitter. Then 2x2.5" to twin 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters out to the stock tips. I will be maintaining the stock flanges for the cat and having them cleaned up and welded up to the new ehaust system. Gonna cost me $400 plus but it should be worth it.

Tom

P.S. I am cutting the pre-cats to prep the car for the stage 2 nitrous package which hopefully is in the future this summer!!!:D :D
Thanks Tom.

As a word of caution, definitely talk with a few people on these boards about the ideal size for exhaust piping on the svx. From the manifold back to the single cat, 2x2.25" piping may be too big (even if NO2 is in your future). 2x2.0" should be give you all the flow you'll need. 2.5" back to the Y-pipe is good, but 2x2.5" to the twin flowmasters may again be too large (2x2.25" should be more ideal).

Either way, do what you feel is best for your car, and may fast times meet you at the end of the 1/4 strip in '05! :cool:

-Chike

Chiketkd
01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
..to play around with the car at highway speeds until today during my lunch break. Near my work is an on-ramp to Interstate 64 with a speed limit of 65mph.

As the road was clear, when I turned off onto the ramp, I brought the car to a halt and brake-torqued her up to stall speed. Previously stall was around 2500-2550rpms. Today the tach needle was a right around 2700rpms...

When I floored it, all four wheels broke traction briefly and she raced through the first two gears faster than I've ever experienced in this car before! The sound above 3000 rpms is just totally unreal - damn I love that sound!!! :cool:

-Chike

SVX-FF
01-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Chike that looks nice!!
I have a concern about this little adventure of your. If I read it right you went to see Tom, in West Virginia, to get your pipes bent and when he was done you felt extra torque in your butt dyno :eek: :confused: ?!?!?!

"Lord I apologize"

I just could not hold it back.:D :D

That is a nice looking set up. Tom need to make up a few more and sell them.

Steve

Chiketkd
01-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Now you're a funny guy Steve!

Thanks for the compliments! Maybe Tom might take your suggestion to heart - it'll definitely make installing a Magnaflow muffler much easier... :)

-Chike

CigarJohnny
01-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Chike, I know you said you kept the 3 cats, but did you keep the resonator as well? Or did you run a straight pipe or replace it with a glass pack like so many others do?

Johnny

Chiketkd
01-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Chike, I know you said you kept the 3 cats, but did you keep the resonator as well? Or did you run a straight pipe or replace it with a glass pack like so many others do?

Johnny
Johnny,

I removed my stock 'restrictive' exhaust resonator since last summer. Replaced it with a 2.5" OD straight pipe.

Personally, I like the sound as is...but a glass pack or high flow resonator (that Dayle sells) would definitely make the sound a bit more subtle. I just love the few extra decibels that the exhaust note makes. :cool:

-Chike

TomsSVX
01-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Chike,
I was thinking the same thing with the 2x2" to cat to 2.5" to 2x2.25" to mufflers and respectively to tips but the exhaust guys was really hanging up on the 2.5 mufflers. I will see what i can do with him. That was my origonal setup I had in mind. Well good luck with your beast. Hope to see u at reading.

Tom

Chiketkd
01-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Chike,
I was thinking the same thing with the 2x2" to cat to 2.5" to 2x2.25" to mufflers and respectively to tips but the exhaust guys was really hanging up on the 2.5 mufflers. I will see what i can do with him. That was my origonal setup I had in mind. Well good luck with your beast. Hope to see u at reading.

Tom
Sounds like you had originally mapped out a pretty good exhaust. Don't let some of those exhaust guys talk you into a bigger set-up - they're focused on increasing the final price you pay. The system they recommended would probably work well on a 4.6L Mustang/ 5.7L Camaro-bird, but would be way too big for the EG33.

Hope to make it to Reading in April!

-Chike

SVXtasy
02-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Through my experience the most restrictive part of the exhaust system is from the headers to the cat. When I did my exhaust system (a 3" back from the cat then two 2.5's) it sounded like crap and I feel it did not give me very much extra power. The reason I went with the 3" is because I was going to turbo the car so I thought it was necessary. But as NA a cat-back exhaust system I think did largely nothing for me and it sounded just awful. So I would not do a 3" if you were not planning on some major mods unless noise is all you want.

TomsSVX
02-01-2005, 08:31 AM
like I mentioned earlier, i will be using LAN's stage 2 nitrous system in the future. So the pre-cats need to be removed. I am not using 3" in any part of my exhaust system because that is way too big. I think what Chike and I have drawn up, independently, is the ideal setup for the SVX if one were to use a dual muffler setup.

Chiketkd
02-01-2005, 07:11 PM
...I took earlier today of my new exhaust, near my work place:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24520.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24522.jpg

This pic shows the ground clearance is still like 'stock' following the install:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24521.jpg

-Chike

SVXtasy
02-01-2005, 07:56 PM
like I mentioned earlier, i will be using LAN's stage 2 nitrous system in the future. So the pre-cats need to be removed. I am not using 3" in any part of my exhaust system because that is way too big. I think what Chike and I have drawn up, independently, is the ideal setup for the SVX if one were to use a dual muffler setup.

I am sorry I was very tired and not clear when I last posted, what I was trying to say (and I know my post does not even come to saying this) was your 2X2.25” is to big in fact is has a lot more volume then a 3”. Then bringing it down to 1X2.5” then going back to 2X2.5” this is a bad design. A better design would be one where the volume of the system would stay the same or somewhat increase as you went back. Taking the total area form ((2.25/2)^2*pi*2) = 7.952 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*1) = 4.909 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*2) = 9.817 in^2 is not going to be the optimal design. I think your idea is a good one but you need to work on your pipe diameters. Not trying to flame you just trying to help.

Phast SVX
02-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Chiketkd
...I took earlier today of my new exhaust, near my work place:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24520.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24522.jpg

This pic shows the ground clearance is still like 'stock' following the install:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/24521.jpg

-Chike

sweet, dont you just love the sound? Bet you cant wait to hit the track when it thaws out there...wait a minute.... :cool: :eek: :mad:
phil

Chiketkd
02-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Phast SVX
sweet, dont you just love the sound? Bet you cant wait to hit the track when it thaws out there...wait a minute.... :cool: :eek: :mad:
phil
:D :D :D

-Chike

TomsSVX
02-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by SVXtasy

I am sorry I was very tired and not clear when I last posted, what I was trying to say (and I know my post does not even come to saying this) was your 2X2.25” is to big in fact is has a lot more volume then a 3”. Then bringing it down to 1X2.5” then going back to 2X2.5” this is a bad design. A better design would be one where the volume of the system would stay the same or somewhat increase as you went back. Taking the total area form ((2.25/2)^2*pi*2) = 7.952 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*1) = 4.909 in^2 then going to ((2.5/2)^2*pi*2) = 9.817 in^2 is not going to be the optimal design. I think your idea is a good one but you need to work on your pipe diameters. Not trying to flame you just trying to help.

so what would be the optimal system design. Are you saying stick with smaller pipes from headers back to cat and the run a 3" pipe to 2x2" to mufflers? and from there to the tips? thats just seems a little big if u asked me.

What are the origonal precat pipe diameters? should i leave them the same size or go bigger?

svxfiles
02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
The pre-cat pipes have an inside diameter of 1.75".

Unless you are running funny gas or a blower/turbo, that size should be kept for about 46" past the factory header.

Since you are running NOX, I will defer to what the NOX guys say.

mbtoloczko
02-02-2005, 03:30 PM
I've looking at this for quite a few months, and I would agree with SVXtasy that 2.25" primaries is too big. I think you would be fine with 2" or even 1.75" primaries.

SVXtasy
02-03-2005, 02:22 AM

If you are going to be using a duel muffler setup why not just do true duel exhaust? you could do 2X2" back to the 2XCats then 2X2.25" form there to the 2X2.5" mufflers. But this is still very large volume. How much of a NOS shot are you going to be using? If I were using NOS I would be using this kind of exhaust system. However I can’t say that it will sound any good :) hope this helps. O ya don’t just take my word for it do some more research.

SilverSpear
02-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by ensteele
Nice job! I am impressed with Tom's pipe bending skills now too! :D :D

anyone can do that, it just needs some will, that's all !!

Chiketkd
02-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by SilverSpear
Now I won't say that... ;) Pipe bending can be a real art in the aftermarket industry. Tom's work was excellent!

-Chike

TomsSVX
02-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by SilverSpear

let me guess. The people over there can do it, maybe even better for cheaper than us??? amazing i must be somekind of mind reader. What do they do teach everyone how to do everything so just anyone can bend pipe to fit in an SVX? Wow, I am getting a little tired of hearing how you degrade other people's work. It is very hard to bend pipe so that all the angles work correctly without getting crimped. So please do not tell us that anyone can bend pipe like that, or else there would be no need for exhaust shops and such.

Tom(Getting tired of the B.S.)

n00b on demand
02-08-2005, 07:06 AM

let me guess. The people over there can do it, maybe even better for cheaper than us??? amazing i must be somekind of mind reader. What do they do teach everyone how to do everything so just anyone can bend pipe to fit in an SVX? Wow, I am getting a little tired of hearing how you degrade other people's work. It is very hard to bend pipe so that all the angles work correctly without getting crimped. So please do not tell us that anyone can bend pipe like that, or else there would be no need for exhaust shops and such.

Tom(Getting tired of the B.S.)

Yea i sure as hell can't do any of that. My hat's off to you svxfiles.....too many toms on this site :D