PDA

View Full Version : Brake Shake

ZEccleston
01-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone, I’m new at this so bare with me, My SVX break light indicator remains on during cold weather, but I read the posts with regard to this mater so I will try some of those remedies, However my question is still break related, Under moderate to hard breaking my car shakes, I am some what familiar with the warped rotor problems these vehicles can have, is that the most likely culprit? If so what is the word on these Motor Sport Warehouse cross-drilled rotors? Are they worth it and what do stock breaks cost in comparison. Finally, is installation of these breaks something I could do myself, I have some limited mechanical knowledge and I have replaced rotors on a car before but it was not something I cared about like my SVX if you know what I mean. Sorry this is so lengthy, but any advice is appreciated

wawazat??
01-07-2002, 03:55 PM
If your rotors have enough thickness I would first recommend that you have the rotors turned while they are on the car. I know this sounds crazy, but I have done a lot of brake jobs over the years by having the rotors turned while off the car. The first time I did that on the SVX I had an incredible shake thru the steering wheel. I took it too the dealership and they quickly fixed the problem. Take it to the dealership and have them turn them on the car.

The SVX is a very easy car on which to do front brakes. Three bolts need to be removed (one for the caliper and two for the caliper mount and then the rotor can be removed. Whether you replace the rotors with stock, cross-drilled, slotted, dimpled (or whatever) just remember to properly break them in. The car should be driven up to 10-15 mph and then brought back to a dead stop 5-6 times. Once this is done let it sit and cool for at least an hour before driving again.

I have owned this car for 8 years and 107K miles and have never had a warped rotor. The first set of stock rotors lasted 135K miles. I just replaced them with cross drilled for the fun of it a couple of months ago.