PDA

View Full Version : more tranny questions

demonsvx
01-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Im on my search for my transmission and I need to know if I can use a trans from a Subaru Legacy Lsi or 2.5GT models? Im familar with the Outback and Impreza conversions on the site but are there really any differences between all of them? I got one week before my bonus gets here and I want to get the show on the road for summer. Thanks Damian:)

Chiketkd
01-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by demonsvx
Im on my search for my transmission and I need to know if I can use a trans from a Subaru Legacy Lsi or 2.5GT models? Im familar with the Outback and Impreza conversions on the site but are there really any differences between all of them? I got one week before my bonus gets here and I want to get the show on the road for summer. Thanks Damian:)
What model year of the Legacy are you referring to? Any model from '99 or newer will NOT be compatible with our TCUs. This is why 4.11/4.44 swaps have been done with 4EATs from Subarus between '93-'98... ;)

-Chike

demonsvx
01-26-2005, 08:49 PM
So what your saying is that any trans from 93-98 legacy,outback,impreza,gt,lsi and so on will work?

Chiketkd
01-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by demonsvx
So what your saying is that any trans from 93-98 legacy,outback,impreza,gt,lsi and so on will work?
Correct. However, not every matching rear diff will work.

Subarus with 4.44 gears (Forester and Legacy Outback) will have the larger 5 bolt rear diff you need to switch the limited slip hub over.

Some Subarus with 4.11 gears (e.g. Impreza sedan and Impreza Outback Sport) will have a rear diff that's much smaller than the SVX's and won't accomodate the limited slip. However, the rear diff from any 4.11 Legacy sedan will work (5 bolt).

-Chike

demonsvx
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks this helps out a bunch Im going to start searching for a trans in the next few weeks.Now I just have to convince these junkyards that I dont need "specific codes" for what im using it for:rolleyes:

Chiketkd
01-26-2005, 09:04 PM
The following website is the best resource to search junkyard parts:

www.car-part.com/

It's best to just call each place and see if the part is in stock. Don't even worry about haggling over price on the phone. When you go there in person to pick up the trans, walk with cash. They won't care if you plan on putting the trans in a tricycle... :p

-Chike

demonsvx
01-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Im familar with car-part and plan on using it for my search. Ill take your advice on "money talks,bulls**t walks" approach:D with some of these junkyards. Thanks for the info once again:)

dino179
01-30-2005, 10:50 AM
2002 impreza 2.5 tranny for an affordable price. i know that it wont be compatible with my tcu but can i just swap tcus or its much more difficult than that?