PDA

View Full Version : Xylene result

NikFu S.
01-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Took emission again today and passed like nothing had ever been wrong.

Last test I was getting a 270 something HC ppm and 2.12 CO% at idle, which failed me.

Today I got 134 HC and 0.12 CO%. :D

CO2 is unchanged and 02 seems to have increased quite a bit. They kept my old report so I forget the numbers.

Absolutely nothing on the car has been changed but I ran through a tank of xylene (Xylol - 1 gallon) on Chevron 90 and was 95 miles into a fresh tank.

Apparent result: better combustion. Mileage seems to have increased substantially as well regardless of aggressive throttling.

Just an observation.

n00b on demand
01-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Crap i totally forgot all about that....can i get some from home depot?

Ciscokid
01-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Xylene is supposedly safer than toulene right?? (sorry if I mispelled something)

NikFu S.
01-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Ciscokid
Xylene is supposedly safer than toulene right?? (sorry if I mispelled something)

Xylene doesn't evaporate as fast. That's all I can say.

Dengue
01-14-2005, 05:44 AM
Xylene? as in paint thinner?

Skip

wawazat??
01-14-2005, 07:11 AM
...toulene?? (sorry if I mispelled something)

Toluene is the correct spelling.

Todd

SEA Sleeper
01-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Dengue
Xylene? as in paint thinner?

Affirmative. A paint supply store may have better prices on Xylene since Home Deptots and other hardware stores alike charge a little bit more for convienience.

If I remember correctly you should be able to buy a gallon for about $10.

I also wouldn't recomend running it in every tank.

n00b on demand
01-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper

I also wouldn't recomend running it in every tank.

Yea only do it once in a while! Not every tank!

Dengue
01-14-2005, 11:09 AM
and what exactly does it do?

I've never heard of this before....

Skip

n00b on demand
01-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Its supposed to be one of the best ways to clean the injectors and get great performance and increased throttle response. Many of our members have used it with great results. Do a search you will find the thread with the info...im just too lazy :p

Ciscokid
01-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by wawazat??

Toluene is the correct spelling.

Todd

I knew there'd be at least one spelling bee champion on here :D

Earthworm
01-14-2005, 04:06 PM

I knew there'd be at least one spelling bee champion on here :D <---- Guilty

Myxalplyx
01-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I just read info at the USMB.net site (that was taken from another site) that indicated that Toluene is just an octane booster, not an injector cleaner. Since you got the results you did, guess I may as well try it myself to see. This is what I read at the USMB.net site *Long* --->

"The main ingredient in Octane Boosters is often Toluene (114 octane). The clever thing is that by packaging it in 6oz. containers and using the words Octane Booster, you can magically turn a $3.99 gallon of Toluene into an $85 a gallon gasoline supplement.

Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon (C7H8). i.e. it contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It belongs to a particular category of hydrocarbons called aromatic hydrocarbons. Complete combustion of toluene yields CO2 and H2O. This fact ensures that the entire emission control system such as the catalyst and oxygen sensor of your car is unaffected. There are no metallic compounds (lead, magnesium etc), no nitro compounds and no oxygen atoms in toluene. It is made up of exactly the same ingredients as ordinary gasoline. In fact it is one of the main ingredients of gasoline.

Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note: toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline. The higher heating value of toluene also means that the exhaust gases contain more kinetic energy, which in turn means that there is more energy to drive turbocharger vanes. In practical terms this is experienced as a faster onset of turbo boost.

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$4.00/gal
Mixtures with 91 Octane Premium
10%...93.3 Octane
20%...96.0 Octane
30%...97.9 Octane

You can make your own by combining Toluene with Kerosene in a 6:1 ratio and gain approx. 1.1 octane (RON) by adding 1 gal. to a 20 gal. tank of gas. You can buy Toluene in 1 gal. or up to 55 gal. from a Sherman Williams Paint store. Care need be taken when mixing it and storing it. Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Esprit is 21.0 gallons. Filling it with 20 gallons of 91 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(20.0 * 91) + (1 * 114) / 21.0 = 92.09"

wawazat??
01-16-2005, 09:30 PM

I knew there'd be at least one spelling bee champion on here :D

:D

I'm not a spelling bee champ, but I did use toluene in one of my former jobs to evaluate the residual stress levels of various polycarbonte materials when submitted to a constant strain.

Todd

Weasel 22
01-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by wawazat??

:D

I'm not a spelling bee champ, but I did use toluene in one of my former jobs to evaluate the residual stress levels of various polycarbonte materials when submitted to a constant strain.

Todd
I used toluene when I worked at a printing press..used to clean the presses and such..made me higher than a kite too :D seriously that job was harsh..had to sign forms of knowledge of use of materials known to cause cancer...good times

NapaBavarian
01-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Weasel 22

I used toluene when I worked at a printing press..used to clean the presses and such..made me higher than a kite too :D seriously that job was harsh..had to sign forms of knowledge of use of materials known to cause cancer...good times

I used toluene and xylene, I had a big smile on my face.

Weasel 22
01-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by NapaBavarian

I used toluene and xylene, I had a big smile on my face.

a great big silly smile :D I recall working with others while cleaning the presses.. and every once and again one of us would stop and just start cracking up...everyone soon followed..even tho really nothing funny had been said..some couldnt get enough and would dip the cotton filters of their mask's in it...:eek:

SEA Sleeper
01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Myxalplyx
.... that indicated that Toluene is just an octane booster, not an injector cleaner...

That information does support the fact that Toluene is an effective octane boost additive. However it does not rule out the fact that it also cleans the fuel injectors and combustion chamber. It only lists it's effects as an octane booster. This does not mean it is not an injector cleaner.

My reasoning lies here: Injector cleaner additives contain Xylene or Toluene (as thier main ingredient). Also the fact that people have suggested that a few tbsp of ATF be added to the mix to "soften" it up also suggest that these additives are also effective detergents. The fact that they are used to clean things in the non combustion world is also a hint. In fact, these chemicals are such good cleaners that if you were to run them in every tank, you would eventually break down your engines internal and fuel system seals.

BATMAN
01-17-2005, 10:38 PM
I use this in my RX7 and notice huge HP increases at full boost, better MPG during crusing and my exhaust seems to stink less.

Also flames are more blue.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cleanpower/

shinyhappyzealo
03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I went from a hydrocarbon reading (HC) at idle of 140 (130 max) to 50. Also noticed a considerable increase in acceleration response throughout the powerband read by my trusty butt dyno.

I used a full gallon of xylene that cost $23.00 from the local paint store. I buffered it with a few jiggers of ATF fluid and Mystery Oil. Also, I swapped out the clean air filter for my Green panel filter and I drove the car like I stole it just before the test after burning off half of an 18-gallon tank to flush the engine with the new tank.

Cross posted over at USMB in Older Generation since I own a 1985 RX turbo 4WD.

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

Myxalplyx
03-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I use this in my RX7 and notice huge HP increases at full boost, better MPG during crusing and my exhaust seems to stink less.

Also flames are more blue.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cleanpower/

Article on Toluene and Xylene-->
http://www.foxvalleykart.com/fuel6.html

TOLUENE AND XYLENE

"We've chosen to lump Toluene and Xylene together for several reasons. If you read the previous article (NKN July 1995), you probably noticed that we poured substantial quantities of Toluene and Xylene into the base fuel samples trying to get the Digatron meter to react. The best we could do was to push it down to ?8, and that with over 50% of each additive! The reason is simple: both Toluene and Xylene are major components of normal gasoline! They're already in there in substantial quantities. Increasing the concentration does nothing but raise the octane rating of the fuel, and, if you've kept up with your reading, you already know that raising the octane, in and of itself, is of no benefit to almost all karting engines. Again, in keeping with our goal of maintaining consistency in our testing routine, we dynoed samples with 2% and 10% of each, both Toluene and Xylene. As expected the 2% graphs show only the most minor variation, with some gain in the low RPM range. This is most likely due to the increased octane rating from adding these materials helping to suppress some high load, low RPM detonation."

Conclusion: This one's a red herring. If you must pour something in your fuel to feel like you're getting some sort of special advantage, add Toluene and/or Xylene. The won't do you any good, but they won't do you any harm either, and you most likely won't get caught. One note of caution: if the tech man is using either of the water tests we outlined earlier in this series, a 10% or greater addition of Toluene or Xylene may show up.