PDA

View Full Version : stebro exhaust question

fait_svx
12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Anybody know if there is a way to get a deeper sound with the stebro. I didnt order the secondary cat replacement(euro resonator) since I heard that it'll make me fail emisions. I tried bringing it to a shop here in milwaukee to get the stock cat hollowed out but, the dude wouldnt touch it. Is there any other way to deepen the tone and keep the exhaust emissions at a legal level? Or is that impossible?

drivemusicnow
12-13-2004, 05:28 PM
... you asked to have the cat hollowed out... but are afraid of emmisions?

I'd suggest getting a resonator put in line on the straight pipe back. depending on the type of resonator, many will eliminate the higher freqs... I'd also go with a straight through, so you don't add any backpressure vs the stebro system, which i believe is actually engineered, like the stock system, to provide a certain back pressure.
glass packs eliminate lower freqs, so this would be a bad idea.
If you want to be able to sell the stebro system again, i'd cut out a section near to the cat, and weld flanges on both sides of the cut. this would allow you to hook up the "test pipe" vs the resonator whenever you choose.

Earthworm
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Will they fail you based on the fact you hollowed out the center cat? If so don't tell them. You could probably get 2 new front cats, hollow the center cat and still pass.

Phast SVX
12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
i dont know about you guys but i find my stebro to have a very deep tone. I think i would be afraid to mess with the toned sound the stebro puts out, ive had 2 other exhuast setups on an SVX, and the stebro puts out the nicest tone. I had a flowmaster system with 22" resonator, it was quite muffled.
phil

SVXer95
12-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Phast SVX
i dont know about you guys but i find my stebro to have a very deep tone. I think i would be afraid to mess with the toned sound the stebro puts out, ive had 2 other exhuast setups on an SVX, and the stebro puts out the nicest tone. I had a flowmaster system with 22" resonator, it was quite muffled.
phil agreed. Why spend the money for what is IMO a great sound, and rice it up? If you want a v8 sound, go buy a v8.

Porter
12-13-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm thinking of knocking out the 3rd cat, welding in a large resonator, possibly two, and removing the muffler entirely.

Hmm.

GreenMarine
12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by fait_svx
Anybody know if there is a way to get a deeper sound with the stebro. I didnt order the secondary cat replacement(euro resonator) since I heard that it'll make me fail emisions. I tried bringing it to a shop here in milwaukee to get the stock cat hollowed out but, the dude wouldnt touch it. Is there any other way to deepen the tone and keep the exhaust emissions at a legal level? Or is that impossible?

In short: NO.... If you bought a Stebro without the center resonator and don't want to loose your third car then there really isn't anything that ya can do to make it deeper... I bought the Euro Resionator and I LOVE the sound!!!... IMHO, if you forked out the money for the Stebro exhaust, don't try to modify it... If ya don't like the sound just sell it to someone and do a custom exhaust... But lots of people love the sound of the Stebro... Mine sounds like a mini Ferrari Testarosa :D:D:D

lhopp77
02-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Has anyone replaced the 3d Cat (rear cat) with the Stebro Euro Resonator on a 96 or 97? If you did, what happens when you disconnect the 3d oxygen sensor in the rear Cat?

Lee

svxcess
02-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by lhopp77
Has anyone replaced the 3d Cat (rear cat) with the Stebro Euro Resonator on a 96 or 97? If you did, what happens when you disconnect the 3d oxygen sensor in the rear Cat?

Lee

Use an O2 simulator to fool the ECU into thinking it is there. See http://www.o2sim.com/

This is a universal replacement. Also check on ebay http://search.ebay.com/oxygen-sensor-simulator_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQfnuZ1QQfromZR1 0QQfsopZ1QQftsZ1QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

lhopp77
02-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the response and information.

Lee