PDA

View Full Version : Funny noise from rear

Mr. Pockets
12-18-2001, 08:49 AM
Chris,

Thanks for your answer to my Legacy question, posted by proxy through Randy. :)

I noticed, yesterday morning and this morning, my SVX making a new noise. It only happens if I take a right-hand 90-degree turn a little faster than what would be considered normal.

The noise comes from the rear of the car and is difficult to describe. I'd call it a high-pitched howl, but then I'd get instant replies about my LR wheel bearing for using the word 'howl.'

It doesn't happen all the time. As I said, I have to take the turn *slightly* harder than I usually do (but still not thrashing the car), and it only happens occasionally.

Now, of course, I'm throwing the car around corners to try to get it to make the noise, and it won't. I was even careening around the top (empty) floor of my parking garage and no noise.

Mr. Pockets
12-19-2001, 10:26 AM
Okay, so today the noise started happening during very mild 90-degree turns to the right. It still comes from the left rear and sounds like a muffled, very low-piched squeal.

cocacola08
12-20-2001, 09:36 AM
sorry, i've got no ideas.

Mr. Pockets
12-20-2001, 02:19 PM
'Another source' suggested that I check the following:

Bushings
Brakes, including parking brake

The second one makes sense. I've noticed, over the past few months, a sort of 'scratching' noise from the same corner. It's not audible from inside the car. I suspect the parking brake.

cdebban
12-22-2001, 08:31 PM
the brakes is where I would start