PDA

View Full Version : HEAT might not be the prime cause of tranny failure

Joe 90
04-09-2001, 12:03 PM
If heat really is the No.1 cause of tranny failure, I would be curious to know if ANYONE EVER had the "AT TEMP" light come on while driving..?

I just got my car back from the shop where I had my transmission rebuilt after failing last week and talking with the technician (and owner of the shop) who is also a good friend and no BSer, he told me that my tranny did not overheat. He says that the OEM cooler is plenty enough for this climate (eastern Canada at least) and that it would not be necessary to had a second one. Besides, he asked did the "AT TEMP" ever came on while driving the car..??? My answer was NO… Never saw this light ON….

Which makes me wonder if HEAT really is the source of all those tranny failures? In fact, this technician who worked on mine says that Wear caused by the incapacity of the tranny to limit the slippage between the clutch discs under hard accelerations (due to the high level of torque of the engine) causes the wear. Which means that in time, this small but constant slippage between the clutch discs leads to premature failure.

This is the result for having the manufacturer creating a luxury sports coupe that have shift points that are smooth as silk.

The solution to this, is to limit the slippage when shifting by increasing the hydraulic pressure holding the clutches together. This is done by replacing some of the springs regulating the pressure. In fact, any other "so-called" heavy duty mod on these transmissions is illusive. True that if you limit the "slippage" and you make the tranny shift harder it should last longer BUT this does not make the it any stronger.

svxxx26
04-09-2001, 12:22 PM
About the AT TEMP warning light, from what I have read over the past year or so is that the tranny temp has to be ultra-high to even kick it on - meaning in the event it did come on, it would be more or less telling you to start checking your wallet! A high, potentially damaging temp wouldn't activate the light. The result of this is a worthless warning light - even dangerous. It gives false confidence to the uninitiated.
This is why my summer SVX project is to install a tranny cooler AND ATF temp gauge.

Phast SVX
04-09-2001, 01:54 PM
Just got my guage and cooler installed by greg(Svxboy) last week. We had a warm afternoon, it was in the 70's and wiht a little bit of speeding around and stop and go driving i have yet to go over 160,on normal driving, it does not even go ober 140. The car runs very cool on highwya driving, but not to cold to shift into overdrive. YOU NEED TO GET THIS DONE. Check the factory Filter when you do so, mine was on backards!

svxxx26
04-09-2001, 02:13 PM
<<This is the result for having the manufacturer creating a luxury sports coupe that have shift points that are smooth as silk. >>

First, a disclaimer: I am not a tranny tech! But, I would be skeptical about that being the cause.
I'm sure that the SVX was/is not the only luxury sports coupe out there. Do they experience the same sort of problems? For that matter, does any luxury car?
While it might not help - I wouldn't think that the shift points could be blamed for our tranny failures.
Anybody have a more informed opinion? :confused:

lightning_8669
04-10-2001, 11:04 AM
<<Anybody have a more informed opinion?>>

The best I can tell, from talking to a friend who builds racing transmissions, is this: A clutch that engages smoothly is doing so by slipping. Slipping causes friction. Friction causes heat. Heat needs to be dissipated. Back to slipping. Slipping causes wear. Wear causes fluid contamination. Fluid contamination causes filter/cooler clogging. Filter/cooler clogging causes high heat. High heat causes slipping.

A smoothly shifting trans causes more heat which causes more wear which causes more heat which causes more wear which caused more heat which causes more.......

The quicker the clutch engages the less heat and wear are experienced. BUT the more stress is put on the rest of the drive train. My 98 Forester shifts very crisply compared to the SVX. It also is only being powered by a 2.5 L at 165 HP.

My tranny building friend has an automatic in his drag car. When the light turns green there is 18" of daylight under his front tires. But there is a LOT of metal holding things together on the machine. Somewhere in between lies the answer.

John

svxxx26
04-10-2001, 11:42 AM
Ok, here's a question:
Assume you have a brand-new SVX. Is it prone to heat-related tranny problems as is, or does it need to have the factory tranny "cooler" clogged up first?
If so, then an aftermarket tranny cooler hooked up in parallel or bypassing the stock cooler altogether should solve the problem - or a pricier solution might be to replace the radiator with the updated, supposedly clog-free cooler.

lightning_8669
04-10-2001, 12:54 PM
<<Ok, here's a question:
Assume you have a brand-new SVX. Is it prone to heat-related tranny problems as is, or does it need to have the factory tranny "cooler" clogged up first? >>

Smooth shifting will cause the clutches to wear and also generate heat. There is always going to be some heat and slipping. Reading historical postings what I have gleaned is that the early model coolers have a mesh inside them that is prone to clogging because it acts as a sort of filter. I recall it is also not easily flushed or flushed successfully. Later models apparently did not have this mesh and related problems. The addition of a filter was supposed to cure the cooler clogging problem. But a filter will also clog if not replaced (like mine did) and will cause trans problems. I'm sure there are mods that can be done to change the way the thing shifts and, possibly, extend its life. A cooler in parallel with an inline filter would also help. Although the cooler with the least resistance will get the majority of flow and this may not be the cooler offering the greatest cooling capacity. For instance, if you install a straight pipe and the worlds best trans cooler in parallel the fluid will likely flow through the pipe and bypass the cooler altogether.

I opted to bypass my questionable stock cooler (likely clogged) and installed an aftermarket cooler and stock filter. Time will tell I guess.

svxistentialist
04-10-2001, 01:51 PM
We have very few automatics here in Ireland [second hand market resists them like the Black Plague], and what I know about them would fit on the back of a stamp.

Why I have bought one with a world class failure rate is one of the Sorrowful Mysteries.

Agree with lightning's racing buddy about the vicious circle of friction heat and insufficient cooling. Mine's a '92, and if I can get a '94 stock rad from a scrap yard without the mesh in the circuit, I will go for it. All later cars were retrofitted with a factory in-line filter to stop the sludge clogging up the cooling circuit.

My idea of the optimum set-up for an SVX would be this;

1. A stronger flow rate for the ATF to ensure fast liquid to liquid cooling under high heat conditions, towing or drag racing or such. I believe Level 10 does a pump upgrade to achieve this.

2. An additional cooler plumbed in parallel to the stock circuit. This should have sufficient size to cool as effectively or better than the stock one.

3. Put the extra cooler in a position where the radiator fans pull air across it when the car is in slow traffic/hot day scenario.

4. Put a temperature controlled solenoid valve into this extra cooler circuit so that oil does not flow to the new cooler until it has reached normal or near normal temperature. Otherwise, the combined effect of both coolers will keep the box too cold for TC lockup, and affect fuel consumption and driveability. This valve would be NECESSARY in a cold climate, I think. Rally cars use this trick to keep the engine oil warm enough to reduce friction[release horsepower] but add additional cooling when the going gets hot.

5. Connect a temperature gauge into the circuit to keep an eye on what temperatures the box is getting to under different climate/driving style/traffic conditions.

6. Use Redline High Temp ATF fully synthetic oil.

Do all this, the tranny should last. Final point: I think [very] high temperatures are the biggest enemy of long life, rather than the smooth slurred high friction shift. The friction material in the clutches breaks down under ultra high temperatures, which accelerates the demise.

Joe

Aredubjay
04-10-2001, 03:35 PM
<<Why I have bought one with a world class failure rate is one of the Sorrowful Mysteries. >>

Joe, it's no mystery to your fellow owners -- no mystery at all. :D

joeaux
04-10-2001, 04:39 PM
<<Why I have bought one with a world class failure rate is one of the Sorrowful Mysteries. >>

This one is easy to answer. Go in the garage and look at the damn thing! Then drive it. Nuff said. ;)
-joe-

svxter
04-11-2001, 11:48 AM
Speaking of transmissions - if you haven't already done so, please go punch the proper button in one of the transmission failure rate polls. Thanks to the 35 or who have entered their information. Surely need to get more data, though.

svxistentialist
04-11-2001, 01:35 PM
Thanks Bill

I've polled. Results are interesting, but skewed. '92/3 cars show the most problems and repeat tranny fixes. You would expect this if only for the higher mileage.

Newer cars don't show the same level of problems. Again, lower mileage is a factor, but I am wondering about the owner profile, maybe the older cars are bought cheaper by inexperienced and younger buyers, who are not too simpatico in engineering terms.

Not enough data to draw firm conclusions really, I am merely surmising out loud. One thing does occur, though. If the tranny is being refurbished in an early car, then a new or later rad should also be fitted, one without the mesh.
This mesh, if clogged , is going to make a good flush impossible. It may also impede oil flow, an instant kill factor if a series auxiliary cooler is installed. This is what I am suspecting is causing all the repeat failures in these models.
Can you do a poll to see how many repeat failures there have been with an extra cooler installed, whether series or parallel, and was fully synthetic ATF in use?This would be an interesting statistic.
Joe

svxter
04-11-2001, 02:52 PM
You're absolutely right about all the points you make. Mileage, frequency of maintenance, type of driving, and a host of other factors come into play here, and would have to be taken into account in order to draw any valid conclusions. The addition of auxillary coolers and use of synthetic ATF should also be considered.

Since the polling tool is a rather blunt instrument for doing this sort of work, I had thought to do a series of them. Once there is some overall qualitative feel for things, I had thought to do some more focused sorts of things. The question you suggest is certainly a good one, and could easily be done.

I don't think this software would support a form - if it did, that would really be the way to do it. A nice survey instrument could be designed, but I don't think that's possible here. Maybe an e-mail survey at some point? Anyway, just thought this could be a first cut at it.

svxistentialist
04-11-2001, 03:13 PM
Yeah Bill,

Good approach. On-line forms are useful, but impatient ol' me keeps coming unstuck with them.

They are designed by navel gazing anoraks, who put in required fields like "Post Code", when you are e-mailing from Patagonia.
Then they don't put in a Thank You for Posting note, so you submit twice or three times for luck.
Rant mode: off.

An e-mail designed like a form that respondents could quickly fill in the slots and reply would do the same thing. They would all need posted to the same address though, so that they could be checked as unique.

Count me in if you are doing it.

Joe

svxter
04-12-2001, 08:46 AM
I probably will at some point. It's just the statistician in me that keeps coming out.:)

svxxx26
04-12-2001, 11:14 AM
Joe, your plan for keeping the SVX tranny alive looks good. I plan on doing everything on your list except the temp-actuated valve to control fluid going to the extra cooler (don't drive it much in cold weather) and the higher capacity pump (unless I do a rebuild). I already use the High-temp Redline ATF.
I have a B&M Supercooler, but it doesn't seem to work too well on the garage shelf.:rolleyes:

svxistentialist
04-12-2001, 03:41 PM
Robin Williams, eat your heart out!

Gerry, my plan is the distillation {love that word} of various posts and FAQ's and technical bulletins and e-mailed help I got from members both sides of the Atlantic.

You are right about the thermostatic solenoid; if you fit the temp gauge first, and your peaks are not sky high nor normal temp holding too low for too long, you don't need it. And, it is small enough to get lost on your garage shelf anyway.

One thing does bother me though. Oil flow rates. With similar piping to original in the auxiliary cooler, oil pressure is going to be reduced, so flow rate may change, possibly not optimal cooling. Not a fluid dynamics engineer, so I am not certain about this. My instinct would be to put a restrictor in the new circuit to maintain presure at factory setting, or maybe a similar restrictor in both oil lines. This would maintain pressure at the right level, while at the same time ensuring similar oil flow through both coolers. Problem solved, fit and forget.

Any Subie techies got ideas on this?

Joe

svxistentialist
04-12-2001, 03:51 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just noticed!!

I have lost my "Junior" Member appelation!!

I can post with the big boys, yeeeeaaaah.....

Soon I will be headed for the Mighty High Exalted Wizard status like Aredubjay.

Joe

svxistentialist
04-12-2001, 03:54 PM
Almost forgot, Gerry.

Don't put the RedLine High Temp ATF on the garage shelf, The cat could slip and hurt hisself[es]

Joe:) :)

eddycat2000
04-12-2001, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Any Subie techies got ideas on this?

Joe

Yes Joe, But I don't think you'd be interested in hearing them.

DFWI, If you have the updated radiator, and you drive like a sane person, then the tranny will last the amount of time any mechanical device was designed to. Other than that, IMO, you can waste great deals of money trying to fix a problem that is a delay tactic at best.

Just a thought. Take it at face value, I haven't, nor will I install the early atk50 filter, and I've seen a bunch of transmissions crater since the 4eat was introduced.

svxistentialist
04-13-2001, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Yes Joe, But I don't think you'd be interested in hearing them.

, nor will I install the early atk50 filter, and I've seen a bunch of transmissions crater since the 4eat was introduced.

You are wrong here dude, I hang on every word of people who know what they are talking about, and who have experience in their field. You are highly qualified both ways, I appreciate your reply.

I would be interested to know your opinion on the change in oil pressure and possible effect on oil flow rates. Or, are you saying, with the non-mesh rad, an additional cooler is un-necessary?

I don't know what an atk50 filter is, is it the factory retrofit for the '92's?? What would you recommend? Would a magnetic filter for metal particles be any addition?

Last, I asked this before. My box is stuck in 3 and reverse. Joe 90 suggests this is "safe" mode and clearing the TCU might bring back the other gears. Diagnostic shows no fault. What do you think? What causes "safe" mode to deploy, would I have an underlying mechanical fault the diagnostics don't pick up?

Joe:confused:

eddycat2000
04-13-2001, 11:45 AM

I would be interested to know your opinion on the change in oil pressure and possible effect on oil flow rates. Or, are you saying, with the non-mesh rad, an additional cooler is un-necessary?

I don't know what an atk50 filter is, is it the factory retrofit for the '92's?? What would you recommend? Would a magnetic filter for metal particles be any addition?

Last, I asked this before. My box is stuck in 3 and reverse. Joe 90 suggests this is "safe" mode and clearing the TCU might bring back the other gears. Diagnostic shows no fault. What do you think? What causes "safe" mode to deploy, would I have an underlying mechanical fault the diagnostics don't pick up?

Yes, In my opinion if you have the updated radiator the additional cooler is unnecessary. It would just be for peice of mind.

Yes, the ATK50 filter was the additional filter to try and prevent the premature failure of the tranny on '92 MY SVX's. And you already have a magnet in the tranny pan. If you've got enough metal floating about in your trans to require another one, then you probably are going to need another tranny anyhow.

I doubt that clearing the TCU will bring your trans back to life, but stranger things have happened I guess. The only time I have had a problem with the trans defaulting into *limp home* mode is when something was screwed up with speed sensor 2. (I think, the one in the extension housing). The one that I had was a 2WD and that particular sensor is located inside of the trans, rather than externally like an AWD. What happened was intermittantly the wire to the sensor would short out on a very sharp peice of casting inside the trans. That one took about 40 hours to find. You could drive the car for a hundred miles and it would be fine, then bang, limp home mode. At least I found it....

svxistentialist
04-13-2001, 01:10 PM
Interesting observations Eddy. With your knowledge of prices, would it be cost effective for me to buy a new or replacement rad, and save the cost of the extra cooler?

Don't forget my car is Dec 91, and does not have any external filter. If the factory one is no good, what would be a good one to put in, I am presuming one is needed for safety.

Also, another strange co-incidence. Self diagnostic for Existing problems sets off the rapid blinking, I presume no fault. Doing the self diagnostic for Previous problems throws up 23, 32 and 33. 33 is your vehicle speed sensor 2. {23 is engine revolution and 32 is vehicle speed sensor 1}
Do you think it would be worth my while replacing these sensors now before stripping the box, or would I be throwing money away?? The car has 90,000 kms on it,
about 56,000 miles

Joe

svxxx26
04-13-2001, 01:31 PM
<<would it be cost effective for me to buy a new or replacement rad, and save the cost of the extra cooler?>>

My B&M Supercooler was around $50.00. A new radiator is in the $400+ range. Be nice to find a good, used one.

Although pricey, the radiator option ranks high on the piece-of-mind scale, although a cooler connected in parallel would eliminate clogging worries.

Just some non-techie thoughts:cool:

eddycat2000
04-13-2001, 01:41 PM
Interesting observations Eddy. With your knowledge of prices, would it be cost effective for me to buy a new or replacement rad, and save the cost of the extra cooler?

Don't forget my car is Dec 91, and does not have any external filter. If the factory one is no good, what would be a good one to put in, I am presuming one is needed for safety.

Also, another strange co-incidence. Self diagnostic for Existing problems sets off the rapid blinking, I presume no fault. Doing the self diagnostic for Previous problems throws up 23, 32 and 33. 33 is your vehicle speed sensor 2. {23 is engine revolution and 32 is vehicle speed sensor 1}
Do you think it would be worth my while replacing these sensors now before stripping the box, or would I be throwing money away?? The car has 90,000 kms on it,
about 56,000 miles

Joe

If you have a dead trans, and you want the next one to hold up, I'd update to the newer radiator. It's kind of up to you as to what is cost effective. If it were mine, it would be, if only because I have seen very few tranny failures with the new radiators in place.

As for stripping the sensors, it's not as easy as all that. Some sensors in the extension housings had connectors on them, (not sure what years, expecially on the SVX), but if not, then you have to remove the entire tranny harness, i've had to do several, and they are *not* fun to do. If in fact you do have a dead trans, then when you get a genuine Subaru reman, it will come with the sensors. I'm assuming that is what you would do if automatics are as rare as you say over there. They aren't rare here, and several people that I know have had rebuilds done in independent shops with less than satisfactory results.

But remember, as always when talking with me, I'm a purist, and nothing aftermarket goes in my car. I've dealt with Subaru for many years and you can't find a better product with a better warranty in my opinion.

eddycat2000
04-13-2001, 01:48 PM
The car has 90,000 kms on it,
about 56,000 miles

Joe

One thing I should point out...that's really low mileage for a tranny failure. Do you have access to a Subaru dealer near you? If not contact Subaru direct and see if they want to help you out with the cost of a replacement. (If your tranny is in fact dead). There are no hidden warranties on any cars that I have dealt with, but the factory reps do have a certain amount of descretion<sp> when determining if they can pay a portion of the replacement cost. Generally speaking, if they do help you out what happens is that they pay for the part and you pay for the labor. Just a thought, but you are in kind of a unique situation.

svxistentialist
04-13-2001, 04:31 PM
Thanks Gerry and Eddie

Dealer situation here in Ireland is also unusual. The SVX was never sold in Ireland, so the dealers have no technical info or backup to relate to it. The car was sold in the UK, but I have already gone that route, and they won't deal with my car, because it is considered as a "grey" import, i.e. I imported it myself second hand from Japan, and the distributor policy is not to support them.
So Fuji Heavy Industries are not being too co-operative in supporting their product on a world wide basis. No wonder dot com and the Internet are sliding downhill fast.
Possibly, I will presume the electronics are OK, and the limp home mode is caused by mechanical failure. I am waiting on the manual to arrive from Subaru before I entrust it to an independent to strip it down. Also, I would like to find an auto specialist who might have some chance of wiring it up to an electronics diagnostic rig when the clutches and whatever are rectified.

joe

svxistentialist
04-15-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by svxter
I probably will at some point. It's just the statistician in me that keeps coming out.:)

Bill,

A thought;
Why not send a bulk e-mail to everyone on the SVX Forum who has supplied email address? It could read
"Please go to the following address and return the poll on transmissions. We may be able to use the results to get better warranty support"
or something like that, and include the link to the Forum.

Come to that, there is nothing stopping you doing the same with Yahoo addresses or the Yahoo e-club.

Worth a try?

Joe

Jamsvx
04-16-2001, 06:35 PM
A dealer here in Sydney has been keeping an eye out for an SVX for me for some time now and two have popped up - one was too old (for the asking price!!!! SVX's are never old!!) and the second was, again, too much.

Anyhow, they know me to be an SVX fan as is the salewoman who is assisting me and their service manager and it was he who explained, as I had heard earlier, that the transmission failures in the first generation/series car (ie 92-94) was the result of a paper/cellulose gasket in the transmission deterioating and thence making its merry way into bits and pieces of the tranmission whereas the update cars came with a metal filter and he had never heard of a post-94 SVX failing in its tranmission - note though that Australia only got 5 of the updated SVX's!!!

Jamsvx

PS: hi svxistentialist - I hail from Portlaoise and have been here since 87 - I always wondered whether SVX's visited Eire - is yours a 4ws?

PPS: my website is nearly complete- takes AGES with geocities pagemaker and I have some interesting stuff on the 4ws models!

PPPS: congratulations Aredubjay - you are a deity amongst mortals!!

svxter
04-16-2001, 07:28 PM

Bill,

A thought;
Why not send a bulk e-mail to everyone on the SVX Forum who has supplied email address? It could read
"Please go to the following address and return the poll on transmissions. We may be able to use the results to get better warranty support"
or something like that, and include the link to the Forum.

Come to that, there is nothing stopping you doing the same with Yahoo addresses or the Yahoo e-club.

Worth a try?

Joe

Good thought, Joe. I'll check into doing that sometime in the next few weeks, although it may be a week or two before I can do it, as I'm coming up to a really busy time between now and the middle of May. Thanks for the suggestion.

Saving your pennies for next year?:)

Aredubjay
04-16-2001, 08:41 PM
<<PPPS: congratulations Aredubjay - you are a deity amongst mortals!!>>

Goodness, let's not go that far. :) 'Preciate the congrats though.

On another note, I saw some picts of fair Eire tonight. A fellow who used to come to my men's group moved, with his family, to City Gallway about five years ago. He returned tonight to speak of his progress there. Perhaps his exploits there will become a doorway to my daughter's dream to visit Ireland. We shall see.

svxistentialist
04-17-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Jamsvx

PS: hi svxistentialist - I hail from Portlaoise and have been here since 87 - I always wondered whether SVX's visited Eire - is yours a 4ws?

PPS: my website is nearly complete- takes AGES with geocities pagemaker and I have some interesting stuff on the 4ws models!

PPPS: congratulations Aredubjay - you are a deity amongst mortals!!

:)
Hi Jamsvx

Nice to know there is another Irishman posting somewhere in the ether.

Far as I know, there are only 2 SVX's in Ireland. John Shotsky told me of another guy brought one in, he is also in IT, and in Dublin, but I have not managed to track him down yet.
No, mine does not have AWS. Phil Skuse in UK put me wise there are two models in Japan, at least originally, economy model like mine, chassis CXW, and Bells and Whistles model, chassis CDX.
BTW, you will spark a flameout on the US site mentioning AWS, they don't think it exists. Fuji probably thought their roads are so wide, what would they need it for?
My car also does not have ABS, cruise, nor a factory alarm. What spec is yours?? I will e-mail.

Joe:)

paddlesnz
04-17-2001, 04:23 PM
Yes, electronic 4ws was standard on the Version L (CXD)model which was sold here between Sept 91 and Nov 93.

1900 Version L's were produced and the model, along with 4ws was dropped in Nov 93 with the introduction of the facelift model, the S40, which was based on the Version E (CXW).

No factory alarm was ever avalaible for the SVX in Japan, although all SVX's came with remote locking and keyless entry. In fact even on new cars sold here now, a factory alarm is very rarely offered.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

Jamsvx
04-17-2001, 09:04 PM
BTW, you will spark a flameout on the US site mentioning AWS, they don't think it exists. Fuji probably thought their roads are so wide, what would they need it for?

Tell me about it! I did get into a flame war on Yahoo but then I had a diagram of the 4ws mechanism to wave around as I blew raspberries at the doubters!!

I often assumed the prevalence of 4ws was for the cramped/narrow streets in urban areas but since the vast majority of the systems seem to be geared towards higher speed stability (or a least a combination of both), I am at a loss to conclude why.

Anyways, my 4ws site is progressing slowly for 2 reasons:
1) I am using Geocities Pagemaker which is very time consuming for me (my forte is not web design!)
2) I only have a 56K connection - and it takes a while to upload everything.

Anyways, since I now know people on here who a) know Japanese and b) are SVX-conversant, perhaps someone could translate the pages that I have scanned on the SVX and I will put up the translation with much lauding of the translator!

My site (early release since still under construction!) is

www.geocities.com/jamsvx

with www.geocities.com/jamsvx/4ws.html as the pertinent page

Forgive the format since I am still working on it!

Regards

James

paddlesnz
04-17-2001, 11:02 PM
Jamsvx

I'll translate the page from my Japanese Owners Manual about the 4WS and email it to you. I'll also translate the other page from the automotive magazine, but that page will take a few days as it is very technical.

Japanese love to have as many hi-tech gadgets on their cars as possible even if they are of little practical use in everyday driving. In the early 90's 4WS was the 'thing' to have, so even basic Toyota Corona's and Mazda 626's had the option of 4WS.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

Aredubjay
04-17-2001, 11:45 PM

Tell me about it! I did get into a flame war on Yahoo but then I had a diagram of the 4ws mechanism to wave around as I blew raspberries at the doubters!!

James, if you recall, I was right in there giving you support. "bhria" or something like that had a 4WS model and was looking for parts on the UK site when I announced that "somebody actually had one." I got hammered pretty bad. Almost as much as when I mentioned the motorized side mirrors.

Kinder and gentler is nicer, don't you think. :D

Jamsvx
04-18-2001, 05:16 PM
James, if you recall, I was right in there giving you support. "bhria" or something like that had a 4WS model and was looking for parts on the UK site when I announced that "somebody actually had one." I got hammered pretty bad. Almost as much as when I mentioned the motorized side mirrors.

One of the few Aredubjay, one of the few! I got quite a few emails telling me what a b-s artist that I was; that I was making things up and since I did not own an SVX I should essentially shut up and one lovely email that said that not only was I full of b-s but that when I argued that many cars that existed in Japan (but only now are common knowledge due to Gran Turismo) have functions that are unheard of eg: I said that I had driven and indeed considered buying a JC Cosmo, then I was a *%^% liar etc etc .....and at the time I was not able to upload the diagrams that I had.

I remember bhria....I think he had some problems with it from memory....but after that flaming Yahoo really lost its appeal.....and here we are now, the creme de la creme of SVX fans!!!

Jamsvx

PS: I got your email paddlesnz...I used to have an MX6 turbo and that also came with the 4ws option.....murderously expensive to repair though.....Mazda have persisted with it till lately (Eunos 800M, MX6 V6, 929) but Honda seems to have abandoned it- outside JDM anyways

eddycat2000
04-18-2001, 06:21 PM

I remember bhria....I think he had some problems with it from memory....but after that flaming Yahoo really lost its appeal.....and here we are now, the creme de la creme of SVX fans!!!

Jamsvx

Hey, don't give up on a club because of a few idiots, as i'm sure most will tell you, I get flamed there regularly. But I can always back up my facts. It's only when the name calling and insults start that I really get mad. It doesn't matter where you go, you're always going to run into people that know it all, and when they can't produce the facts they start the flaming. It actually gets amusing after awhile and I really look forward to slamming some idiot that don't know what he's talking about. But don't get me wrong, if you were to join the club and ask questions, as opposed to spouting BS, then I will be yer best friend for life. I have an inherent thing about calling a bluff, and that really ticks some people off. However, I can also admit when I am wrong, (Even though it doesn't happen often;) ), so I just go with the flow and laugh off what the idiots call facts. It's almost like a feeding frenzy there lately, I like it that way, especially when I can prove them wrong!!!!

Jamsvx
04-18-2001, 09:13 PM
Thanks Eddycat2000.

Its not so much that I have given up on Yahoo (I joined when there was about 4000posts so fairly early in the piece) but rather as the SVX fan base has grown, so have the resources and the alternatives - this site being a case in point.

In any event, it is true, as you say, that one can derive a certain satisfaction from proving someone wrong when they themselves have started sledging and generally carrying on like a twit.

*dons the asbestos 3 piece!*

Jamsvx

svxistentialist
04-19-2001, 01:28 AM

with the flow and laugh off what the idiots call facts. It's almost like a feeding frenzy there lately, I like it that way, especially when I can prove them wrong!!!!

Hey James

You don't want to believe Eddy when he's sounding so cute and innocent. There must be Irish blood in him. he sits with a flame thrower in his pocket, waiting for the right post to come in.

Any news on the job thing Eddy?? Hope it comes in good. Still waiting on a manual to get my trans stripped. I have a feeling that the problem is largely mechanical, and could be fixed by a competent shop, which we do have a few here contrary to my previous posts, I am just wary they are unfamiliar with this box, there are none of this type around these parts.

Last, James, Paddlesnz, my car came from Japan with only one key, no blipper. Is there any way I can send off for a remote plipper to suit the car??

eddycat2000
04-19-2001, 03:09 AM

Any news on the job thing Eddy?? Hope it comes in good. Still waiting on a manual to get my trans stripped. I have a feeling that the problem is largely mechanical, and could be fixed by a competent shop, which we do have a few here contrary to my previous posts, I am just wary they are unfamiliar with this box, there are none of this type around these parts.

Last, James, Paddlesnz, my car came from Japan with only one key, no blipper. Is there any way I can send off for a remote plipper to suit the car??

Not a darn thing. It's just frustrating as heck. Not to mention my wife thinks I'm being totally paranoid. But what if one of my references is throwing me under the bus?

As far as the tranny goes, it's pretty much like any other automatic once you are in it. It just looks intimidating, especially the first time you have to rebuild one.

By blipper and plipper are you meaning the remote fob for the keyless entry? I might have a spare one around, I can take a look.

paddlesnz
04-19-2001, 04:12 AM
svxistentialist

The remote fob for the Japanese model is different from the US model as the remote setup in the vehicle is different. I'm going to my local friendly Subaru dealer on Saturday, so I'll price one for you.

Also have you worked out how to unlock the car without the key or remote? Not sure if this was on the US spec cars.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

Aredubjay
04-19-2001, 08:26 AM
Joe,
Your problem IS most likely mechanical since you're not getting any diagnostic codes. Have you tried Bell and Covill in London for the "bilpper?" Or, it may be just as inexpensive to order from www.subaruparts.com. They're about 45.00 USD. Or, there's a fellow from the Yahoo club (mgunner21) who has some spares and may sell them to you reasonably.

eddycat2000
04-19-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Joe,
Your problem IS most likely mechanical since you're not getting any diagnostic codes. Have you tried Bell and Covill in London for the "bilpper?" Or, it may be just as inexpensive to order from www.subaruparts.com. They're about 45.00 USD. Or, there's a fellow from the Yahoo club (mgunner21) who has some spares and may sell them to you reasonably.

Survey says......Bad TPS! Sorry Aredub, didn't mean to salt that there wound.

Blipper, blipper, blipper, faster than lightning....:)

svxistentialist
04-19-2001, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by paddlesnz
svxistentialist

The remote fob for the Japanese model is different from the US model as the remote setup in the vehicle is different. I'm going to my local friendly Subaru dealer on Saturday, so I'll price one for you.

Also have you worked out how to unlock the car without the key or remote? Not sure if this was on the US spec cars.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

Thanks Eddy, Paddlesnz

Haven't had the need to open it without the key, didn't know it was possible. Hope it's not possible, I'm more paranoid than Eddycat.
Surely just any remote will not do, or, do I get a remote and just programme it? Is it that simple??

Mine must be different from the American ones, there is no button on the dash or anything. Only hint of remote capability is, if I try the door latch to make sure the car is locked after using the key, it gives a "bleep" inside. I had suspected this indicated the car was locked or possibly immobilized, is this correct for Japanese cars Paddlesnz??

eddycat2000
04-19-2001, 05:25 PM

I'm more paranoid than Eddycat.

Not possible my friend. Just got the rejection letter today, now if they'd only tell you why you were rejected that might help.

Hey! Wanna buy me a ticket over to Ireland, I'd love to look at all the spooky old castles and stuff, and in return I'd help you rebuild your tranny. I could even buy the parts here at the ex-employee discount I get. I wonder if you'd have to buy a ticket for eddy too, I ain't goin' nowhere without my eddycat. Oh, yeah, might want to include the wife in there somewhere, her family hails from Ireland. I think she said that before the last name got *americanized* it was McGarvin. ;)

Jamsvx
04-19-2001, 05:29 PM
Hi Joe.

I replied with the website for the Dismantlers in the UK SVX Yahoo forum...hopefully you have the address now.

This is only an idea and I may be wrong (and please correct me if I am anyone!) but I seem to remember mention being made of similarities between the E-4AT and the tranny's used in other cars especially Nissan Q45's which apparently also suffered from overheating with a warning not to tow!

Anyways, maybe chase up through Nissan Eire who is qualified to do rebuilds on the Q45 tranny - the similarities (as I understand them to be - could be wrong of course, It was from ages ago on Yahoo) may allow someone conversant to be able to rebuild yours - or at least have an idea of what they are doing.

Just a thought!

James

eddycat2000
04-19-2001, 05:36 PM

Just a thought!

James

And good thoughts they are too James. The pathfinder and Pickups used a similar version of the Subaru 4EAT transmission. And I'm sure that they must be more available than an orphan like the SVX. That might just be the ticket for him, as far as where to get his trans fixed.

Just for future reference, the 4eat stand for 4 (speed) Electronically Activated Transmission.

However if he can't get it done there, I can have my bags packed in a new yourk minute!

paddlesnz
04-19-2001, 05:50 PM

Mine must be different from the American ones, there is no button on the dash or anything. Only hint of remote capability is, if I try the door latch to make sure the car is locked after using the key, it gives a "bleep" inside. I had suspected this indicated the car was locked or possibly immobilized, is this correct for Japanese cars Paddlesnz??

On Japanese spec models, you can unlock the doors by programming a code using the drivers door latch, hence the 'bleep' when you try the latch after the door is locked. I'll e mail you the procedure on how to set the code.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

svxistentialist
04-20-2001, 12:09 PM

On Japanese spec models, you can unlock the doors by programming a code using the drivers door latch, hence the 'bleep' when you try the latch after the door is locked. I'll e mail you the procedure on how to set the code.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

WOW!!!

Thanks. If I buy a remote off a Japanese site, can I programme that too?

Joe:D :D

svxistentialist
04-20-2001, 12:19 PM

And good thoughts they are too James. The pathfinder and Pickups used a similar version of the Subaru 4EAT transmission. And I'm sure that they must be more available than an orphan like the SVX. That might just be the ticket for him, as far as where to get his trans fixed.

Just for future reference, the 4eat stand for 4 (speed) Electronically Activated Transmission.

However if he can't get it done there, I can have my bags packed in a new yourk minute!

That is a good idea guys, all this flamethrowing is leading to creative thinking. I presume James' Nissan Q45 and a Pathfinder are the same thing, it would have to be 4WD. I'm pretty sure Pathfinders were available here, if they even sold one, they would need to have the technical backup literature at the dealers or distributors.

On a negative note, and James will be aware of this, most Jeeps [that's what we collectively call 4x4's round here] would be bought in manual form for farm work. The main 4x4 to come in auto form is the Range Rover, more to do with cost and owner profile than usability. I will track down some Nissan contacts though and give it a go.

svxistentialist
04-20-2001, 12:35 PM

Not possible my friend. Just got the rejection letter today, now if they'd only tell you why you were rejected that might help.

Hey! Wanna buy me a ticket over to Ireland, I'd love to look at all the spooky old castles and stuff, and in return I'd help you rebuild your tranny. I could even buy the parts here at the ex-employee discount I get. I wonder if you'd have to buy a ticket for eddy too, I ain't goin' nowhere without my eddycat. Oh, yeah, might want to include the wife in there somewhere, her family hails from Ireland. I think she said that before the last name got *americanized* it was McGarvin. ;)

You'd be very welcome to come, cept I can't afford your ticket right now, don't forget I'm the founder member, Irish Chapter, Dead Trannies Society.

McGarvin is unusual. Have seen McGarvey and McGavin, but with anglicisation or americanisation, anything is possible.

Bummer on the rejection, they never say why, these days could be giving you ammo to come back at them under various legislations. A possible suggestion: you mentioned maybe some of your references were throwing you under a bus. Think about this. Drink some Wild Turkey 101 and think about it some more. If there is someone in your references you feel at gut level might pull your plug, then maybe your paranoia is right. Include him out of your application next time round, have an excuse ready if you're asked. Might make all the difference.

eddycat2000
04-20-2001, 04:09 PM

If there is someone in your references you feel at gut level might pull your plug, then maybe your paranoia is right. Include him out of your application next time round, have an excuse ready if you're asked. Might make all the difference.

Herein lies the problem, how do you call your references and ask if they are tossing you under the bus? My wife and sister in-law have told me repeatedly that I should just call and ask...."Ummm, Chuck are you trying to make my life miserable?" I don't think I could do that. I like the people that I have used for references, but they may not feel the same way about me, My wife and I both quit CDA subaru and refused offers of more money to stay just until they could find someone else. One of the references that I didn't use are some people that used to own CDA subaru before they sold it to Chuck, why you ask? Because when they sold the business we were good friends until my wife got into a legal battle with them about unemployment, when she went to work for them at their new business venture and quit after a year or so. So I just figured they'd try toss me under the bus also. Arrrgghhhhh, this is just so damned frustrating. You do realize that you aren't paranoid if they really are trying to get you right.;)

paddlesnz
04-21-2001, 03:24 AM

WOW!!!

Thanks. If I buy a remote off a Japanese site, can I programme that too?

Joe:D :D

Went to the local Subaru dealer this morning and enquired about a buying a new remote.

A new remote has to be ordered from Subaru HO and costs Y18000 (about US$220). The reason it is so expensive is that they will have to make a new remote specifically for your vehicle and to do that they need the Chassis Number, the ID no. on the remote control unit (which the dealer thinks is behind the glovebox) and if you have it, the key no.

According to the dealer there is no other way to program the remote for Japanese spec models.

PS Will send you the info on programming the code to use the drivers door latch once I have double checked it by trying it again on my vehicle.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

svxistentialist
04-21-2001, 12:57 PM

Arrrgghhhhh, this is just so damned frustrating. You do realize that you aren't paranoid if they really are trying to get you right.;)

On a medically technical level, you might still be paranoid, even if someone {or everyone??} was out to get you.

It would be more accurate to say "Just because you *aren't* paranoid is no guarantee they are not out to get you"

Better in my book to presume they are out to get you as a start or default position. This is how I ride my Honda as a defence against arrogant slobs in SUV's and panel vans. Human nature being what it is, you won't be disappointed too often when they do it to you. And the few times you are wrong can reaffirm your faith in the better side of humanity.

Joe

svxistentialist
04-21-2001, 01:03 PM

Went to the local Subaru dealer this morning and enquired about a buying a new remote.

A new remote has to be ordered from Subaru HO and costs Y18000 (about US$220). The reason it is so expensive is that they will have to make a new remote specifically for your vehicle and to do that they need the Chassis Number, the ID no. on the remote control unit (which the dealer thinks is behind the glovebox) and if you have it, the key no.

According to the dealer there is no other way to program the remote for Japanese spec models.

PS Will send you the info on programming the code to use the drivers door latch once I have double checked it by trying it again on my vehicle.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

Thanks again for the help and info Paddlesnz { Are you from New Zealand??} I may go for the remote, even at that price, but will hold on ordering for a wee while. I am awaiting a new alarm. If that has a fob that will interact with the central locking, I would not need the expensive OE model.

tober76b
04-21-2001, 01:36 PM
instead of getting the OEM remote, why not get an alarm, keyless entry, remote start package?
i did a quick search and found this site:
http://www.commandoalarms.com/
that has a complete package for US$100 or a FM version for US$210.
seems like a lot better deal.
in fact, i'll probably get one myself.
note: the above link is the coolest one i found while searching for a couple minutes.
toby

svxistentialist
04-21-2001, 05:57 PM
That's a good site Toby. The prices are so cheap, you'd wonder if they were effective.

Most of the gear looks fully featured though.

Thanks for the link.

tober76b
04-21-2001, 06:03 PM
That's a good site Toby. The prices are so cheap, you'd wonder if they were effective.

Most of the gear looks fully featured though.

Thanks for the link.

glad i could help.
those were my thoughts exactly.....
i would search for reviews on their products to get a better picture of their reliability/security/etc.
toby

Aredubjay
04-22-2001, 11:57 PM

AAARRRGGGHHH! I almost fainted when I read this. That sounds totally rediculous. You can buy a totally good Doberman for that much and just let it sit in your car when you leave it (Did that with my 80 Capri RS Turbo -- only paid 50 bucks for the Doberman though). And, when it's not protecting your car, you've got a great companion. :) Are you SURE the US spec remote can't be used or retrofitted, Jiminy Crickets -- that's crazy. <rant mode off>:confused:

immortal_suby
04-25-2001, 04:46 PM
eddycat - why not have someone from here call your references? (assuming we have someone here who could pull it off...)

"Herein lies the problem, how do you call your references and ask if they are tossing you under the bus?"

eddycat2000
04-25-2001, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
eddycat - why not have someone from here call your references? (assuming we have someone here who could pull it off...)

Maybe because that while these folks were people that I worked for, I considered them friends, and I'd hate to think that one of them could be throwing me under the bus, (Eric's driving it). I hold these people in very high regard, it would be devastating to me to find out one of them would actually try and derail my life because of some silly grudge thing. I quit the one place because I wasn't given a decent raise, but thinking back on it, my wife also quit Chuck, and even though he pleaded with both of us to stay, we didn't.

Unlike my wife who seems to think she needs to know every little detail, I don't want to know that someone I trust is trying to screw up my life. Might just be me, but I trust people, and I certainly don't like having that trust violated. I'd just rather not know.

svxistentialist
04-26-2001, 02:06 AM

Unlike my wife who seems to think she needs to know every little detail, I don't want to know that someone I trust is trying to screw up my life. Might just be me, but I trust people, and I certainly don't like having that trust violated. I'd just rather not know.

If you need to trust someone here Eddy, trust your wife. This is your life we are talking about here. Don't put your head in the sand, you need to know if your trust in Chuck is misplaced.

Likely from Chuck's point of view, both of you leaving him left him with a problem that cost money to fix, he'd be peeved, I'd be peeved in his shoes.

Looks to me [from outside] you think this side of your CV might be the problem. You talk of Chuck as a friend, he may still be. Go and talk to Chuck, explain your difficulty, put the cards on the table. Together you may be able to fix your problem. You may have to pluck up some courage and swallow some pride, but you won't come out of it with nothing. You will know.

Go talk to him. That's what friends are for.

Joe

eddycat2000
04-26-2001, 07:33 AM

If you need to trust someone here Eddy, trust your wife. This is your life we are talking about here. Don't put your head in the sand, you need to know if your trust in Chuck is misplaced.

Joe

I still don't like that option, but what I have started doing is in the cover letters that I have been sending with resumes is adding a disclaimer stating that one or more of my references may not hold me in the same regard that I obviously hold them in. And that if a question should arise, then they should contact me for details and follow up. I did send a thank you letter to the one place and told the HR woman that I was disappointed with the outcome and shed a little light on what happened at both places where I worked with my references. It may come to nothing, but then again she may get back to me and let me know which (if any) of my references is screwing me.

**92SVX**
05-08-2001, 03:11 PM
92 and 93 model year SVX. Bypass factory transmission cooler! Once clogged nothing can repair. Additionally, replace return lines to transmission, once the cooler is installed.