PDA

View Full Version : Neons Selection & Installation

pavanbabut
10-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi all,

I want to install neon under car lights on four sides. But i am new to these and I want some advices and suggestions on installing them.

I want to know which places are the right places to install those under our cars their wiring sequence.... and best best best matchin color (mine is green 92)...and where to get them for cheap

Pavan.

mikecg
10-30-2004, 11:17 AM
OPTIX makes a under car kit that uses a 4 ft tube for each side and a 2ft in the front and the rear. I used these for a while. (removed them now). If you look under the side of your car you'll see a small frame about a foot in. I mounted the 4 foot tubes as close to them as possible. It adds a limited amount of protection. At the back of the car, you'll see a gap between the rear plastic and the muffler heat shield. The heat shield has a lip with small holes in it. Set the rear 2 ft bulb on the ledge and use wire ties through the holes to hold it. The best thing to do in the front is just get rid of the 2 ft for the front and buy two 6 or 8 inch tubes. I broke the front 2ft in about a week. THe 6/8 in will fit nicly in the corner in front of the wheels. If you really want to use the 2 ft light I'd seggest removing the plastic skid plate under the front and finding somplace above the bottom of the bumper to mount it to.

I'm not crazy about OPTIX lights. I prefer to Redline UltraBrights, but RedLine doesnt make a kit. The OPTIX Kit runs about $100 at Pepboys and Advanced Auto. As far as color goes, I usually try to color match. I have a red car so I use red lights. So on that note I'd recommend GREEN lights.

pavanbabut
10-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi mikecg,

thanks for ur valuable information.... but i also want the wiring information..yeah they do give about it , but i want to know if there is any special wiring sequence for ur cars....

Pavan.

HighwayUFO
10-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I don't really think there is a specific wiring setup here. It is all about how you can supply power and be able to turn the tubes on and off. And about color coordination, the only car that won't need any coordination is a pearlie or white car.:D

Keith

pavanbabut
10-30-2004, 09:24 PM
I am little bit confused....

which kits are better... (NEONs or LEDs)...

Pavan.

mikecg
10-31-2004, 05:57 AM
The kits come with wiring instrutions. Basicly I hooked them directly to the battery (positive & negative). The kit came with a juntion box to wire all the bulbs into. All I had to do was install a switch in side the car. Run the positive from the battery to the switch, then to the junction box. Hook the ground directly to the negative battery terminal (or to a clean paint free metal body panel). The bulbs then wire into the junction box. I mounted my junction box on the fender well inside the engine bay. The only pain in the butt parts is running the wires from the lights to the junction. You have to find a way to keep them up tight so road hazards dont hit them. Also try to stay clear of the exhaust. You'll have to splice the wires to make them long enough. As far as what is better (Neon or LED), It's a matter of opinion. I like the neons because they have a softer glow to them and are less directional. LED's tend to be a bright and sharper light, but are less glowy.

pavanbabut
10-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi mike,

thanks for ur reply...

Originally posted by mikecg,
THe 6/8 in will fit nicly in the corner in front of the wheels.

can u tell me exactly where u have fixed... i am not clear in this part. Since i dont want to remove skid plate, I will go for two 6/8's

Pavan.

SVX-FF
10-31-2004, 07:42 PM
I have installed an undercar neon kit on my girls 03 Mitsu Montaro Sport and my 92 SVX (green). Both have 4 tube kits. The SVX is not that hard it you have the time. It took about 3 hours to do it right. The sides are the easiest to do. I put them onto the unibody rails, on the out side. It is not visible and throws big color.
The back was a litter harder with the exhaust. The short is inbetween the heat sheild and the bumper there is a 1-2" gap and I mounted the tube up there. It still throws a good color shadow. The front bumber has the tube mounted on the steel reinforcement (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVX-FF/18983.JPG). The bumper was cut just a little to allow for a 3ft tube.
Just a note of caution, do not mount the power supply box on the passanger side strut tower. Everytime I tunr my noens on it messes with my ABS brakes.

Steve

More noen pics of my 92 SVX (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX-FF|16482)

SubaSteevo
10-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by SVX-FF
More noen pics of my 92 SVX (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX-FF|16482)

Your wheels are backward :p

And so are the letters in neon :p

mikecg
11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by pavanbabut
Hi mike,

thanks for ur reply...

can u tell me exactly where u have fixed... i am not clear in this part. Since i dont want to remove skid plate, I will go for two 6/8's

Pavan.

If you look under the front of the car, in front of the tires, you'll see were the plastic slopes up into the car a little. It's a flat area that is a little above the bumper level. You'll have to mount the lights at an angle to fit them in. It's right in the front corners of the car.

SVX-FF
11-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

Your wheels are backward :p

And so are the letters in neon :p

The wheels will be corrected with my new Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires go on.

The noen will be corrected after my English class is finished.:D

Steve

ThetaReactor
11-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by civic_slayer
And about color coordination, the only car that won't need any coordination is a pearlie or white car.:D

So, umm, what color goes with black, again? :P

Red, maybe. And then turn that waterfall grill into the uber-nifty Knight Rider mod! We all know the SVX is more future-spiffy than some old T/A...

pavanbabut
12-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by mikecg
The kits come with wiring instrutions. Basicly I hooked them directly to the battery (positive & negative). The kit came with a juntion box to wire all the bulbs into. All I had to do was install a switch in side the car. Run the positive from the battery to the switch, then to the junction box. Hook the ground directly to the negative battery terminal (or to a clean paint free metal body panel). The bulbs then wire into the junction box. I mounted my junction box on the fender well inside the engine bay. The only pain in the butt parts is running the wires from the lights to the junction. You have to find a way to keep them up tight so road hazards dont hit them. Also try to stay clear of the exhaust. You'll have to splice the wires to make them long enough. As far as what is better (Neon or LED), It's a matter of opinion. I like the neons because they have a softer glow to them and are less directional. LED's tend to be a bright and sharper light, but are less glowy.

hi,
today i had a look under the car to fix my undercar kit... but i haven't found any rails under the sides to hook up the tubes. Moreover they gave some angular hooks to fix under the car and then hold the tubes on them. But i dont know where to fix those angular fittings. Anyway can i have some pictures of urs fitted under the car. Thanks for ur help.

Pavan.

mikecg
12-06-2004, 04:43 AM
Look in my locker. I think I have a couple in there.

rob_4187
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
I got the optx neon kit and installed it for the most part but when i hooked up the switch the fuse blew. I took it out and left it unplugged and put the wires on my battery terminals and when i turned the battery on it blew again. I put a nail in touching both parts of the fuse plug and it didnt light up. when i looked on the diagram it shows the switch with a battery wire, a wire to the box, and a ground, but there is no ground wire on it. Any suggestions to why my fuse is blowing and what to do about the ground?

wawazat??
01-04-2005, 04:35 PM

Just a note of caution, do not mount the power supply box on the passanger side strut tower. Everytime I tunr my noens on it messes with my ABS brakes.

Steve

That's scary Steve.

SVX-FF
01-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by wawazat??

That's scary Steve.

Not that scary, the ABS only activate at 5mph and then shut off. It is more of a anoyance than anything.

Steve

SVX-FF
01-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Holy flying pigs!!!!!!
That was my 400th post !!!!:D :D :D :D

Steve 401

rob_4187
01-04-2005, 08:30 PM
For anyone that used the optx kit...Did you wire a ground for the switch? I think i see a little slit for a ground wire to go in but im not sure. I hope that this is the case.

wawazat??
01-05-2005, 04:41 PM

Not that scary, the ABS only activate at 5mph and then shut off. It is more of a anoyance than anything.

Steve

What scares me is that you are willing to install a decorative item that messes with your brake system in any way :eek:

To each his own I guess...

Todd

pavanbabut
01-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by rob_4187
I got the optx neon kit and installed it for the most part but when i hooked up the switch the fuse blew. I took it out and left it unplugged and put the wires on my battery terminals and when i turned the battery on it blew again. I put a nail in touching both parts of the fuse plug and it didnt light up. when i looked on the diagram it shows the switch with a battery wire, a wire to the box, and a ground, but there is no ground wire on it. Any suggestions to why my fuse is blowing and what to do about the ground?

Hi Rob,

If u dont mind can u give post a close up picture of ur side neon tubes, so that i can see how u have installed on sides... thanks,
Pavan.