PDA

View Full Version : R&T Guide Finished

rufus
04-04-2001, 11:46 AM
Well, the guide is finished. I have never used Acrobat with anything so graphics intensive; The final product is much larger than I expected, over 320 MB. The original .jpg files for all 100 pages total about 25 MB or so. It came out pretty well though, I think.

So here is the deal (and an incentive to attend the upcoming Reading meet this weekend)...

If you are planning to be there AND reply to this thread before midnight Thursday, I will have a copy of the CD in my grubby little hands for you when I show up for the meet Saturday morning. It will have the .pdf file and a folder with all the original .jpg images, and maybe even a nice printed cover if I have the time. For the rest of you, we can figure out a good distibution system next week.

There is probably room for a little tweaking, and if someone wanted to take the time to make any modifications I would not be offended. Some of the pages could use a little cropping, but it is all readable and the pictures look great.

wasions
04-04-2001, 12:22 PM
Yo, Aredub! I've got that burnin' feelin'. I got an urge to burn. Let me burn this baby, would'ja? Maybe could'ja? Oh, yeah. Watch me burn! Puhleeeeeeeze! Just bring your copy 'round heah, heah?

Steve

Aredubjay
04-04-2001, 01:05 PM
<<Yo, Aredub! I've got that burnin' feelin'. I got an urge to burn. Let me burn this baby, would'ja? Maybe could'ja? Oh, yeah. Watch me burn! Puhleeeeeeeze! Just bring your copy 'round heah, heah?>>

I'll try to grab a copy. I've got a burn-r, so, I'll even burn one for you and deliver it some Friday at Mandarin Garden ------ that is, if I even get to go! (Still waiting on the fateful call which will determine my attendance or non-attendance).

wasions
04-04-2001, 01:12 PM
Y'wanna borrow my, uh, Camry?

(No, no, please don't hit me!)

steve

svxcess
04-04-2001, 03:31 PM
I'll be arriving at Reading Friday afternoon. When are you going up. Put me down for a CD and I'll bring you some club stickers, since I noticed you weren't on my original decal order.

nubs
04-04-2001, 07:26 PM
Hi Rufus, I would also like a copy of the cd you made if possible.Thanks I will see you on Saturday.

joeaux
04-05-2001, 01:34 AM
Have you got broadband? If so I can set up my Hotline server so you can upload it and then others can download it. With broadband it won't take long. I'd be glad to setup my Hotline server until everyone that wants it can get it. What do you think? I could even setup an ftp server on my SGI Indigo R4000. Just let me know what you guys want to do.
-joe-

jscorse
04-05-2001, 04:52 AM
I've got a T-1 line, so whenever someone posts the *.pdf I can download it. I get about a meg/few seconds.

I can't WAIT to get MY grubby little hands on that. :D

Cool! I like the NEW smiles box...:eek: :D :p ;)

AJ
04-05-2001, 01:57 PM
I'm wating to DOWNLOAD. I have a T3, and a ftp (thats always busy with downloads), and i'll help in any way I can! Saved me 50 some dollars, thanks!

RoweDawgg
Red 94 L

mohrds
04-05-2001, 02:14 PM
I'll be at Reading this weekend. I also have access to plop an FTP server on a T3 here so I'd be happy to post the contents for anyone to download.

Doug

joeaux
04-05-2001, 04:47 PM
We need to get this thing up on at least ONE server! That way the rest of us can get it and host it via ftp or Hotline. More choices!
-joe-

AJ
04-08-2001, 03:55 PM
someone contact me about uploading the files! I can host, or work something out with mohrds!

AIM: ajrowe22
MIRC/Channel Chat: RoweDawgg

:)

mohrds
04-10-2001, 01:52 PM
Great Job Rufus, the guide looks great.

Brian has been kind enough to host the files for us. You can download them at:

http://doug.mohr.net/svx/index.html

I must say, the raw files are a much better way to go IMHO, a mere 30MB compared to the 325MB acrobat file. The acrobat file appears to be just a collection of the JPEG images. Am I right, Rufus?

If so, You can get a great JPEG viewer from ACDSee by going to www.download.com and searching for acdsee

or click here:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10077-100-1808446.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-2.1808446

Enjoy,

Doug

joeaux
04-10-2001, 04:31 PM
Good Job! The host is great! I downloaded both the images and the PDF at the same time (about 100K/sec each). Look good to. If we need to do it I can host the thing on my ftp server.
-joe-

tober76b
04-14-2001, 03:49 AM
nice....147KB/sec.
took under 3 min for the 30MB version.
thanks for all of the effort guys.
toby

Aredubjay
08-21-2001, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mohrds
Great Job Rufus, the guide looks great.

Brian has been kind enough to host the files for us. You can download them at:

http://doug.mohr.net/svx/index.html

I must say, the raw files are a much better way to go IMHO, a mere 30MB compared to the 325MB acrobat file. The acrobat file appears to be just a collection of the JPEG images. Am I right, Rufus?

If so, You can get a great JPEG viewer from ACDSee by going to www.download.com and searching for acdsee

or click here:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10077-100-1808446.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-2.1808446

Enjoy,

Doug

This link doesn't seem to be active any more. Is there anywhere a person can download the "Guide." I've offered to find the URL for one of our "Friends 'Cross the pond" but, as I said, this doesn't seem to be active. If there is no place, I'll just offer to burn him a CD and send it to him, but, apparently, he has the speed and space for the download. Any help would be much appreciated.

vkykam
08-21-2001, 04:26 PM
If no one has it up by the end of the night, I'll post it up when I get back from a dinner meeting.

VK

eddycat2000
08-21-2001, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by vkykam
If no one has it up by the end of the night, I'll post it up when I get back from a dinner meeting.

VK

Seriously? We can get to see the R&T guide to SVX design and performance?!? That is so cool! Why just the other day I was doing an interent search and there is a magazine article on a guy that wears tights and has a big S on his shirt and he can *FLY *. I think the magazine was called DC Comics or something, but by god, they knew all about this flying guy with the tights and cape. I guess when he turns his hand just a bit when flying he gets that passive steering thing going...but wait...if he's conscientiously making his hand turn, how is that passive?

DOH! Our high grand exalted poobah has to bite on this one...:D :D

vkykam
08-21-2001, 10:18 PM
Tsk Tsk Tsk. When'll that damn dog ever die?? ;)

Well, when you're done kicking that dog, the magazine can be downloaded at:

http://svx.victorkam.ca

Sorry that the site's been capped at 10kb/s, I need to reserve the bandwidth, as the Toronto Subaru Club is currently living on my server, and needs the bandwidth.

VK

Originally posted by eddycat2000

Seriously? We can get to see the R&T guide to SVX design and performance?!? That is so cool! Why just the other day I was doing an interent search and there is a magazine article on a guy that wears tights and has a big S on his shirt and he can *FLY *. I think the magazine was called DC Comics or something, but by god, they knew all about this flying guy with the tights and cape. I guess when he turns his hand just a bit when flying he gets that passive steering thing going...but wait...if he's conscientiously making his hand turn, how is that passive?

DOH! Our high grand exalted poobah has to bite on this one...:D :D

Aredubjay
08-21-2001, 10:46 PM
Tsk Tsk Tsk. When'll that damn dog ever die?? ;)

Well, when you're done kicking that dog, the magazine can be downloaded at:

http://svx.victorkam.ca

Sorry that the site's been capped at 10kb/s, I need to reserve the bandwidth, as the Toronto Subaru Club is currently living on my server, and needs the bandwidth.

VK

Thank you, Victor. I'm sure the fellow on the UK site will be pleased and surprised. Hope your dinner meeting went well. So, what kind of chicken did they serve? :D

Aredubjay
08-21-2001, 10:57 PM
If no one has it up by the end of the night
VK

You talk about hanging one over the plate. I'll resist knocking this one outta the park, though. It's too late to be humorous. :)
BTW, did you say you lived on Yonge? I know it's, like, the longest street in the world, but, our company has an office on Yonge. Although we don't keep it staffed, it's an easy address to remember: #1 Yonge St. :D

vkykam
08-21-2001, 11:05 PM
But I thought it's at night when the mind is SUPPOSED to be in the gutter. ;)

Dinner meeting got shortened into a quick meeting instead. Went to eat sushi with girlfriend and family instead. mmmm... raw fish...

I don't actually live ON Yonge Street, I'm about 5km from it now. I used to live 1/4 mile from it before I moved a couple of years back.

1 Yonge Street? That's the Toronto Star Building. Why an office without staff? Is this the office where they will send those that don't work and spend WAY too much time surfing the net at work? ;)

VK

Originally posted by Aredubjay

You talk about hanging one over the plate. I'll resist knocking this one outta the park, though. It's too late to be humorous. :)
BTW, did you say you lived on Yonge? I know it's, like, the longest street in the world, but, our company has an office on Yonge. Although we don't keep it staffed, it's an easy address to remember: #1 Yonge St. :D

vkykam
08-21-2001, 11:07 PM
And just who is it that managed to get to my site not 2 minutes after I first post it up here?

Someone's fast (and anxious)!

VK

htyei
08-21-2001, 11:20 PM
THe R&T guide is also up in web form for those who just want to peruse through, ( and has a fat connection :)

www.svxwrx.com

Aredubjay
08-21-2001, 11:28 PM
And just who is it that managed to get to my site not 2 minutes after I first post it up here?

Someone's fast (and anxious)!

VK

Musta been me. I popped it to copy the url for our British friend.

Aredubjay
08-21-2001, 11:31 PM
But I thought it's at night when the mind is SUPPOSED to be in the gutter. ;)

Dinner meeting got shortened into a quick meeting instead. Went to eat sushi with girlfriend and family instead. mmmm... raw fish...

I don't actually live ON Yonge Street, I'm about 5km from it now. I used to live 1/4 mile from it before I moved a couple of years back.

1 Yonge Street? That's the Toronto Star Building. Why an office without staff? Is this the office where they will send those that don't work and spend WAY too much time surfing the net at work? ;)

VK

Actually, we have some Canadian clients based in Toronto and a representative who flies in once a month. It's one of those offices with a "central receptionist" -- we felt it was too much to ask our Canadian friends to come all the way to Evansville, Indiana. :D

Seraph
08-21-2001, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by htyei
THe R&T guide is also up in web form for those who just want to peruse through, ( and has a fat connection :)

www.svxwrx.com

thanks -- time to download and print in full colour... yay!!!

Lwin

Aredubjay
08-21-2001, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by htyei

www.svxwrx.com

Thanks Henry. I'll also point him here.

mohrds
08-22-2001, 06:36 AM
<<This link doesn't seem to be active any more.>>

Sorry I haven't been checking it lately. I Emailed Brian seeing as how he's being nice enough to host my site for me. I'll figure out the problem and get it back online soon

Doug

Aredubjay
08-22-2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by mohrds
<<This link doesn't seem to be active any more.>>

Sorry I haven't been checking it lately. I Emailed Brian seeing as how he's being nice enough to host my site for me. I'll figure out the problem and get it back online soon

Doug

No problems, Doug. It was very generous of Brian. Send him our thanks . . . along with instructions on how to best install weather stripping.

vkykam
08-22-2001, 10:20 AM
Ah, one of them virtual/executive offices.

I've got one of those. $225CDN gets me a receptionist answering phone on a dedicated phone number (with an english accent I might add), and a mailing address that no one will know I'm never there.

Oh, and 3 hours of boardroom use too. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Inexpensive to "front" an operation.

VK

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Actually, we have some Canadian clients based in Toronto and a representative who flies in once a month. It's one of those offices with a "central receptionist" -- we felt it was too much to ask our Canadian friends to come all the way to Evansville, Indiana. :D