PDA

View Full Version : I need a new shifter linkage ...

suby_qa
12-01-2001, 01:38 PM
Yikes, I can't shift my car. The linkage had failed (internally) and is going to have to be replaced. Does anyone have have one available?

Stevebsy
12-01-2001, 01:47 PM
Did you look under the car to make sure the cable was connected? There is just a cheezy cotter pin holding it on, and mine was pretty rusty. Yours may have rusted off, allowing the cable to come off.

I know one guy here who doesn't need one anymore.......his name is Huck :O

Originally posted by suby_qa
Yikes, I can't shift my car. The linkage had failed (internally) and is going to have to be replaced. Does anyone have have one available?

huck369
12-01-2001, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Stevebsy

I know one guy here who doesn't need one anymore.......his name is Huck :O

Yeah I've got my old shifter, and cable, but I'd like to keep it, I'd say the cable is the culprit, and it proobably isn't to expensive, try looking it up on subaruparts.com , I'd guess less than $50 (which is a cheap repare for these cars):D

I believe you'll have to take the console out to replace the cable, the bottom has 2 bolts holding the cable, and a clip on the end of it, I think the gasket where it goes through the floor is part of the cable.

Shouldn't be to hard to do, probably an hour or hour and a half.

:rolleyes:

suby_qa
12-01-2001, 03:30 PM
I jacked up the car and climbed under and actually identified the problem. At the rear where the threaded end is attached to the cable., something has failed internally to hold the cable from bending. I can actually feel this piece slide around and can feel the bent cable. I can slide this internal end piece but it will only work one time and then it is misplaced and the cable gives and no shift. Isn't Huck the guy that accomplished the 5 speed conversion?

huck369
12-01-2001, 03:34 PM
You must have posted while I was typing up my last post.
Yep, I'm the guy with the 5-speed, It sounds even more like your cable now.

Aredubjay
12-01-2001, 03:42 PM
Here's a link for the parts:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=2&year=1992&style=4WD&scn=1&category=183-A

suby_qa
12-07-2001, 01:54 PM
Just got my new shifter cable and it is installed.
Shifts just like a new one now.