PDA

View Full Version : Reading SIX planning thread

svxcess
08-25-2004, 10:40 AM
One of the few things we know is that Easter 2005 (March 27) will not interfere with the April meet dates.

Our choices of dates range from the traditional first weekend in April (April1-3), the second weekend (April 8-10) or the third weekend (April 15-17).
It seems that the April 8-10 is probably the best, but it is the last weekend before taxes have to be filed.

I have been in contact with Tara at the Lancaster Holiday Inn (Reading IV and V), as well as Helen Helms at the *original* Morgantown Holiday Inn (home of Reading I, II, III). They will be geting back with me shortly to give me confirmed rates.

The Morgantown Holiday Inn has undergone a complete renovation to the rooms, as well as the public areas (atrium/lobby, etc.) new carpeting throughout, paint, furniture, etc. They also have made some structural modifications to give the large bar/lounge area more privacy. The bar never closes before midnight. Helen invited me up to see the improvements first-hand there so I can report back to the club.

We will probably need at least the same number of rooma as last year.

Although Morgantown's rates have traditionally been higher, I always preferred the atmosphere there, along with the great bar and lounge and the better parking lot. Lancaster had a cheaper rate, but also the inconvenience of a limited bar facility, whose patronage we had to guarantee. The buses that continually made the rounds there was also an annoyance to me.

As soon as I get more information I will get back to you here. In the meantime, I am starting a poll to see the preliminary interest in choice of dates and locations.

Ron Mummert
08-26-2004, 08:01 PM
One vote for Morgantown with the big bar on the 3rd weekend. The later, the warmer (maybe).
Ron.

SVX-FF
08-26-2004, 09:19 PM
I does not matter which place the meet is held. All I know is I will be there this year. T-belt or no t-belt.

Anyone for a Minnesota convoy to PA?

Can not wait to come home :D

Steve

Earthworm
08-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by SVX-FF
Anyone for a Minnesota convoy to PA?Now if you would have said this last year or the year before then we would have had a convoy.

As it stands I have no plans on attending Reading6 unfortunately.

SVX-FF
08-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Earthworm
Now if you would have said this last year or the year before then we would have had a convoy.

As it stands I have no plans on attending Reading6 unfortunately.

Sorry Earthworm, I just got out here this summer, if you want to call it that.
Steve

mikecg
08-28-2004, 11:37 AM
You people are bad enough during regular weekends. I dont think I would want to be around you on April Fools Day.

svxcess
08-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by svxcess

I have been in contact with Tara at the Lancaster Holiday Inn (Reading IV and V), as well as Helen Helms at the *original* Morgantown Holiday Inn (home of Reading I, II, III). They will be getting back with me shortly to give me confirmed rates.

Helen Helms (Morgantown Holiday Inn) got back to me this evening with the proposed rate for rooms for Reading 6.

For the weekend of April 8-10, she can offer us rooms with either 2 queen beds or 1 king bed for 69.95/night plus 11% tax, for a total of $77.64/night. If it is the following weekend the rates were higher.

She reminded us that her rates for Reading III were 78.00/night plus 11% total $86.58/night. Her price is less than it was three years later, with a major renovation)

I am still waiting to hear back from Tara at Lancaster Holiday Inn on their rates.

When she sees the amount of rooms she has the potential to fill, I may be able to negotiate a little further

newsvx
08-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Since I did not make the Morgantown meets, I vote for Morgantown - assuming the rates are close.

For anyone that never went to a Reading Meet, GO! Loads of fun and a LOT of SVX's! And oh yes, a wide variety of people:D

Harry

SVXRide
08-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Not having looked at Mapquest, is Morgantown closer to the Maryland beltway (495) than Lancaster? As it apparently has the better bar facility, the next question is "will it support as good a "gimic" rally?"
-Bill

svxcess
09-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I just finished speaking with Tara Mieczkowski, Group Sales Rep. for the Lancaster Holiday Inn, (site of last year's meet). Their hotel has also gone through a major renovation as well, but there is still the inconvenience of the limited bar facility and the Greyhound bus stop in the parking lot is still operating 4 times a day.

She gave me an initial offering of $80.00 plus tax for two double beds and $84.00 plus tax for the king suite.

After a lot of convincing from my end, she came down from that original price to the following rate:

Rooms with two double beds are $53.00/night, plus 11% tax for a total price of $63.27/night. She is also offering the king suite for $57.00/night plus 11% tax for a total of $63.27/night.

Personally, I felt I should not have had to talk her down to the lower rate. She said that it was because of their renovation, I informed her that her competition (Morgantown) renovated as well and their price came down from what it was 3 years ago. It was only after she was convinced how much she raised our price over last year that she reconsidered.

Here are the final rates for both hotels as of Monday, September 13, 2004

MORGANTOWN HOLIDAY INN (original location)
Two queen beds or one king bed for 69.95/night plus 11% tax. Total: $77.64/night

LANCASTER HOLIDAY INN (last year's location)
Two double beds for 53.00/night plus 11% tax. Total: $58.83/night or
One king bed for 57.00/night plus 11% tax. Total: $63.27/night

These prices are based on a reserved block of rooms similar to last year (25-30).

In all fairness, maybe Larry III and myself, or any other club member who is interested, should make a visit to each of them to ascertain first-hand what we can expect.

Green1995SVX
09-13-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm going to be in the area in early October and would be happy to check things out. :)

Mike

svxcess
09-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I'm going to be in the area in early October and would be happy to check things out. :)

Mike

Less than a month away. And what color and year SVX will you have by then?

And will that be the same one that you bring to Reading VI? (Unless you buy another one AT the meet, like Lwin did) :D

NomadTW
09-13-2004, 10:26 PM
mike, your signature is starting to look like ensteele's

BluebyU
10-12-2004, 08:18 AM
If for some reason you can't check out the Morgantown Holiday Inn Mike I can do it. It's only about 15 minutes from me.

RSVX
10-12-2004, 09:07 PM
In all fairness, maybe Larry III and myself, or any other club member who is interested, should make a visit to each of them to ascertain first-hand what we can expect.

I was at Reading 5, and recently stayed at the Morgantown hotel... the Morgantown hotel gets my vote, as it did in the voting version of this thread... you can read my reasons there...

GreenMarine
10-26-2004, 09:31 AM
If it is nicer then it gets my vote too... I am alittle irritated though that the lady had to be "Talked down" to a lower price. WTF??? We are gonna be bringing in a nice sizeable income for thier hotel and spending money there. Why would they try to screw us outta more money?? If I were dealing with them I would probably let them know that if they don't support us with a good group rate then we can gladly take our business elsewere...

Anyway, can't wait till Reading 6 though!!! :D:D:D

Hocrest
10-26-2004, 10:01 AM
I grew up in Morgantown, and still have family down there so I know the area well. If anyone has questions about the area let me know.
My sister has a cafe in town but really couldn't handle more than about 25-30 people at her place. But just in case anybody is in town, stop at Cafe 110, on West Main St. Ask for Bev and tell her that Dave sent you. :D

svxcess
10-31-2004, 05:04 PM
Tomorrow is November 1... ONLY 23 WEEKS TIL READING VI

It seems that the current consensus favors Reading VI to be held at the Morgantown Holiday Inn during the second weekend in April, April 8-10, 2005.

Since the poll has been quiet for over a month I assume the 26 members who voted carried the wishes of the rest of the members not voting, but still willing to attend.

I will be getting in touch with Helen Helms at the Morgantown Holiday Inn this week to obtain a contract to sign. Should I ask for the same amount of rooms as last year? (about 30 rooms, the majority of 2 queen beds and a few kings)

Feedback please...

SVXRide
10-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Tomorrow is November 1... ONLY 23 WEEKS TIL READING VI

It seems that the current consensus favors Reading VI to be held at the Morgantown Holiday Inn during the second weekend in April, April 8-10, 2005.

Since the poll has been quiet for over a month I assume the 26 members who voted carried the wishes of the rest of the members not voting, but still willing to attend.

I will be getting in touch with Helen Helms at the Morgantown Holiday Inn this week to obtain a contract to sign. Should I ask for the same amount of rooms as last year? (about 30 rooms, the majority of 2 queen beds and a few kings)

Feedback please...

John,
You've got my vote!
-Bill

RSVX
11-01-2004, 12:49 PM
I will be stayin at the hotel ;)

svxfiles
11-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Morgantown sounds great! We will need two rooms, one with a king, and one with two beds. Thank you, John for all your efforts.:)
This covers me, G.E.L., Mr Hoots + boxer6. Tom