PDA

View Full Version : tips on trans cooler install

dart
11-27-2001, 09:02 PM
Does the radiator need to be pulled to access the fasteners on the pseudo headlight/grille to open up that area for cooler intallations? Which line is the return line coming out of the rad?
Thanks in advance for any info.. :)

'92 LS-L 102k Pearl

nubs
11-28-2001, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by dart
Does the radiator need to be pulled to access the fasteners on the pseudo headlight/grille to open up that area for cooler installations? Which line is the return line coming out of the rad?
Thanks in advance for any info.. :)

'92 LS-L 102k Pearl

Hello and welcome to the SVX network. The radiator does not need pulled to remove the grill section. There are two clips on the
top outer edges,be careful with them they break easily.Push in on the center of the clips and pull it out. It can be tough to get out.
You might want to remove the radiator any way because a lot
of us found lot of debris (leaves and such) in between the radiator and condenser.
The return line is on the left side (drivers) of the radiator. There are some tranny cooler pictures in my locker if you want to take a look.
:)

dart
11-28-2001, 09:05 PM
reply from nubsjr:
{The radiator does not need pulled to remove the grill section. There are two clips on the
top outer edges,be careful with them they break easily.Push in on the center of the clips and pull it out. It can be tough to get out.}

Hi, Thanks for the welcome and the info. I have noticed a buildup of debris between my radiator and condensor as well. Going to clean it up this weekend. Anybody ever install a larger trans cooler between the condensor and radiator? Seems only smaller sizes will fit in front of the condensor. Are dual coolers in front of the condensor overkill? Also planning on installing a new factory
external trans filter in lieu of an aftermarket filter. Any thoughts on my plan of attack would make my day. Thanks again.. :D

1992 SVX LS-L (wifes car) :p

1967 Dodge Dart GT Convertible V-8 4-speed Sure Grip
1983 Dodge Van
1968 Plymouth Valiant V-8 auto power leather buckets
1973 Plymouth Duster 360/727 beater
1991 Dodge Dakota pick-em up

eh..so i lined up a couple of spares:rolleyes:

huck369
11-29-2001, 05:13 AM

Anybody ever install a larger trans cooler between the condensor and radiator? Seems only smaller sizes will fit in front of the condensor. Are dual coolers in front of the condensor overkill? Also planning on installing a new factory
external trans filter in lieu of an aftermarket filter. Any thoughts on my plan of attack would make my day. Thanks again.. :D

Yes, I installed a larger cooler between my radiator and condensor, and have had no problems.

nubs
11-29-2001, 02:14 PM

Anybody ever install a larger trans cooler between the condensor and radiator? Seems only smaller sizes will fit in front of the condensor. Are dual coolers in front of the condensor overkill?

I do not think anything you want to do to keep down the tranny
temp down is overkill. I have a cooler in front of the condenser and one that has a fan on it in the fenderwell.I also put a finned collar on my aftermarket filter.Even with all of that I still get temperature spikes of up to 210 in the summer.Temp. reading is before the coolers.I must be doing something right because I still have the original tranny.

PS, You can never have to many spares:D

dart
11-29-2001, 06:32 PM
reply from nubsjr:

I still get temperature spikes of up to 210 in the summer.Temp. reading is before the coolers.

Are you using one of those cool rectangular temp gauges
that I can't seem to locate?

nubs
11-30-2001, 03:53 AM
reply from nubsjr:

Are you using one of those cool rectangular temp gauges
that I can't seem to locate?

No, but I want to get one but can't seem to bite the bullet and get one from here.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail.cfm?Category=138&PartNumber=ODY-08-3

dart
11-30-2001, 08:18 AM
Original quote from Nubsjr:

(No, but I want to get one but can't seem to bite the bullet and get one from here.)

http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail...Number=ODY-08-3

Mike, Thanks for the link. Pricey, but thats the ticket. :D

huck369
11-30-2001, 09:32 AM
Hey, I just noticed your a Kentucky native. If you get down this way you'll have to look me up!

dart
11-30-2001, 12:40 PM
Roger that :D Boy thats a gnarly battle scar you got whilst intalling those pedals in your SVX.

Aredubjay
11-30-2001, 12:46 PM
Roger that :D Boy thats a gnarly battle scar you got whilst intalling those pedals in your SVX.

Matt, what color is your SVX? I put a club card on a Teal in Downtown Louisville a few months ago whilst in town for the Big Papa Johns franchisee's meeting. Was that you? If you plan on being in the Owensboro area, let me know. We'll get together.

huck369
11-30-2001, 03:30 PM

You know it!:eek:
I had a few colorful phrases come out of my mouth when it happened, to say the least !;)
I still don't have any feeling in it.:confused:

dart
11-30-2001, 06:57 PM
posted by aredubjay:

(Matt, what color is your SVX? I put a club card on a Teal in Downtown Louisville a few months ago whilst in town for the Big Papa Johns franchisee's meeting. Was that you? )

Randy, its a pearl white with a black top and very dark tinted
windows. Dunno if its factory tint? Looks black/white to me. We just picked it up last friday so that wasn't my SVX you left the sticker on. I do see a '94 teal SVX w/88k miles on the autotrader.com for $10,000 in the east end. Thanks for the invite.:)

dart
11-30-2001, 07:04 PM
posted by huck:

(I still don't have any feeling in it.)

Huck, I mashed the end of my pinky finger last may. The doc stitched it up real purty but I'm just now starting to get sensation back in it. Still a helluva penalty for wrenching :mad:

If I'm down your way would be great to hookup. Would be cool to see the 5-speed SVX for sure!:D

huck369
12-01-2001, 03:15 PM
I'm almost always around town as we hardly ever go anywhere, lest I be lucky enough to get to take my dirt bike out (I haven't got to ride for about 6 months:( ), so if you let me know when you might be down I'll send you my Cell #.
And maybe one of these days I'll get feeling back in my finger. (since that is what we were talking about):rolleyes:

Aredubjay
12-01-2001, 03:48 PM
posted by aredubjay:

(Matt, what color is your SVX? I put a club card on a Teal in Downtown Louisville a few months ago whilst in town for the Big Papa Johns franchisee's meeting. Was that you? )

Randy, its a pearl white with a black top and very dark tinted
windows. Dunno if its factory tint? Looks black/white to me. We just picked it up last friday so that wasn't my SVX you left the sticker on. I do see a '94 teal SVX w/88k miles on the autotrader.com for $10,000 in the east end. Thanks for the invite.:)

Matt,
WE'RE TWINS!
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Aredubjay/680.jpg

Plus, Hucks 5-speed is Pearl/Black. The three of us need to get together!

Randy

PS: Couldn't be factory tint. They didn't do dark tint. Mine was tinted before I got it, but, I like it. Especially on the Pearl. :D

dart
12-01-2001, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Matt,
WE'RE TWINS!

PS: Couldn't be factory tint. They didn't do dark tint. Mine was tinted before I got it, but, I like it. Especially on the Pearl. :D

Right on!:D I'm not a fan of white paint but We really dig the pearl on this car. The incognito factor of the dark tint is a plus here too..:) (got a pic of it in my locker)

On the other hand light or non-tint really shows off the radical glass on SVX's. I like to look at the low-tint but like to ride in the dark tint:cool:

dart
12-01-2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by huck369
I'm almost always around town as we hardly ever go anywhere, lest I be lucky enough to get to take my dirt bike out (I haven't got to ride for about 6 months:( ), so if you let me know when you might be down I'll send you my Cell #.
And maybe one of these days I'll get feeling back in my finger. (since that is what we were talking about):rolleyes:

Huck, thanks and if I can get down your way I'll contact you about getting yer cell#. How long has it been since the injury?
How many stitches? I thought mine would need about 10 but they only put in 4. If I'd had been paying attention could have avoided mine. What a dillhole:rolleyes:

I've been looking for an old 2-stroke yamaha enduro or dirt bike. If I can find one twould be a good excuse to go riding!:D

dart
12-01-2001, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aredubjay
[B]

Matt,
WE'RE TWINS!

Plus, Hucks 5-speed is Pearl/Black. The three of us need to get together!

QUOTE]

You all going to the 10th yr. SVX thing july2002? Mebbe we could line 'em up?:D

huck369
12-01-2001, 07:38 PM

Huck, thanks and if I can get down your way I'll contact you about getting yer cell#. How long has it been since the injury?
How many stitches? I thought mine would need about 10 but they only put in 4. If I'd had been paying attention could have avoided mine. What a dillhole:rolleyes:

I've been looking for an old 2-stroke yamaha enduro or dirt bike. If I can find one would be a good excuse to go riding!:D

Hey, an SVX and likes dirt bike, this could be the start of a great friendship!!:D I just haven't figured out how to haul my bike with my SVX:rolleyes:
Three KY boys with Identical SVXs (except mine I just tinted the stationary windows, not the ones that roll up and down):cool:

huck369
12-01-2001, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aredubjay
[B]

You all going to the 10th yr. SVX thing july2002? Mebbe we could line 'em up?:D

Going to try to be there, if every thing goes allright.:rolleyes:

Aredubjay
12-01-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by huck369

Going to try to be there, if every thing goes allright.:rolleyes:

I'll be at the 10th Anniversary meet unless me, or the car, are dead! :)

1994SubaruSVX
12-20-2001, 09:49 AM
if we had all the colors together at the meet that would be really awesome. :)

dart
01-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
if we had all the colors together at the meet that would be really awesome. :)

Would be cool to line up a bunch of pearlies on the bricks at the speedway. :)