PDA

View Full Version : suspension noise

249SVX
11-17-2001, 09:24 AM
I have noise coming from the left rear suspension. Every time I hit a bump it sounds like the strut is moving around in the mount at the top, but my father and I checked it and it is tight. Could it be a bushing somewhere?

249SVX
11-27-2001, 10:52 AM
I found out what the problem was, and am embarrasd to say:p

Aredubjay
11-27-2001, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by 249SVX
I found out what the problem was, and am embarrasd to say:p

Awww, c'mon. If I can tell folks why I was "smelling fuel" one time (embarassing), you can tell us -- we're family, y'know. :D

249SVX
11-27-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Awww, c'mon. If I can tell folks why I was "smelling fuel" one time (embarassing), you can tell us -- we're family, y'know. :D
Ok, well, I checked to see if the three nuts at the top of the strut were tight, and they were. But I failed to check the one nut that holds it all together, which was not even finger tight. So, no wonder it sounded like it was moving around, it was!:) While I was at it, I tightened the nut behind the steering wheel too.:D

Aredubjay
11-27-2001, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by 249SVX

Ok, well, I checked to see if the three nuts at the top of the strut were tight, and they were. But I failed to check the one nut that holds it all together, which was not even finger tight. So, no wonder it sounded like it was moving around, it was!:) While I was at it, I tightened the nut behind the steering wheel too.:D

EEK! I've still gotta do something with the loose nut behind my wheel. :D

My gas smelling episode was so "stoopid." I'd just gotten the car out of the shop and kept smelling fuel. I figured, "just shop smell." Well, I parked the car at work and when I got in it to go home, the smell was almost overwhelming. I was livid, and was sure they'd cut a fuel line at the shop. The shop was closed, however, it'd have to wait 'til morning. I drove home getting angrier and angrier as I drove, and smelled the raw fuel, though, I couldn't find where it was coming from. I had really worked myself up into giving these guys a piece of my mind (although not much to spare). I got home and began to rant and rave. The wife listened half-heartedly, knowing how I "go off" about my car. I finished ranting, we sat down to dinner. In the middle of dinner, my wife said, "don't forget to put the chain saw that Willie put in your trunk, in my trunk so I can take it to J.G." Boy, did I feel stupid! That was the smell all along. I'd forgotten that, the day before, a friend had put a chain saw in my trunk for delivery to another friend. Thus, the heavy raw fuel smell. Sheesh.

Zombie
11-28-2001, 08:58 AM
Heres a good one for you.... it got cold and nasty here in SLC over last week.... Monday, I noticed that my rear window was fogging up really bad. It was frost building up on the inside.... I couldnt figure that on out. Then I went to get something out of the trunk. Two Absorber Chamois in their tubes.... nice and wet. I removed them... and removed the fog. If you don't want moisture buildup in you car, remove the moist things..... I think Ive got water on the brain too.

Aredubjay
11-28-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Zombie
Heres a good one for you.... it got cold and nasty here in SLC over last week.... Monday, I noticed that my rear window was fogging up really bad. It was frost building up on the inside.... I couldnt figure that on out. Then I went to get something out of the trunk. Two Absorber Chamois in their tubes.... nice and wet. I removed them... and removed the fog. If you don't want moisture buildup in you car, remove the moist things..... I think Ive got water on the brain too.

AHA! So THAT'S what's doing that? Hmmm >Aredubjay wonders if it will also do away with the slight condensation in the rear center tail light panel before he spends money on new gaskets<

249SVX
11-28-2001, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Zombie

:D Yep, isn't that wierd how that does that?:D I do that at least once a year.:)

SVX10
11-30-2001, 02:18 PM
Where is the "one nut that holds it all together" located? 2 of mine sound like that and I would like to check this out. I drive on a lot of washboard roads, so not only is the knock annoying, but it also seems likely that a nut could've rattled loose.

dart
11-30-2001, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

AHA! So THAT'S what's doing that? Hmmm >Aredubjay wonders if it will also do away with the slight condensation in the rear center tail light panel before he spends money on new gaskets<

Randy, I read something recently about taking out the tailight assembly and drilling 2 small diameter holes in the bottom of the offending lense to let condensation out. Obviously not factory so caveat emptor. My right rear amber lense is fogged and I'm thinking about trying it.

249SVX
11-30-2001, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by SVX10
Where is the "one nut that holds it all together" located? 2 of mine sound like that and I would like to check this out. I drive on a lot of washboard roads, so not only is the knock annoying, but it also seems likely that a nut could've rattled loose.

They are located under the rear deck where the strut assembley bolts on.