PDA

View Full Version : USA thinkin of a trip to europe...

NapaBavarian
06-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey Yall, watch this!-

Quote, famous last words of a redneck :p

Serously, I'm thinking of a trip to Europe for a month or two next summer, I'd like ideas on places to see, and things to do. Since I've only been to Amsterdam, and that was a stop over to Africa can you guys point me at good places? Maby I could buy a Europian SVX and ship it stateside :rolleyes:

b3lha
06-29-2004, 01:35 AM
What sort of things do you want to see?

Historic Cities?
Spectacular Scenery?
Brothels?
All of the above?

Phil Hill
06-29-2004, 02:02 AM
NapaB

Two months gives you a fair bit of time to see something of Europe, but I'm sure any individual in any European country could suggest 3-4 weeks worth of sights to see in his own native land. It would help if you gave us an indication of which countries you would like to visit, or are you still fishing for ideas ??

What are your interests ?? Are you a "culture vulture" and want to do monuments, museums, galleries, castles and Stately homes, are you a walker/climber/active sports person and want to do "dales, fells, plains, rivers, lakes, tors and mountains", or a "planes, trains and automobiles" tour ?? Industrial Heriatage ?? WWII ?? Any combintation, all are possible.

A month or two is way better than the "1 week tour of England". This tour usually involves a day in London, bus out to Windsor, then on to Bath via Stonehenge on day two, Bath on day three then up to Stratford for day four, to Edinburgh for day five, back down to York on day six and back to London on day seven. And thus your Dollar has been spent wisely, you have seen all the UK has to offer............ This type of tour is frequented by, how do I put this diplomatically........ persons from your part of the world of a certain age and background......... who use words like "Cute" and "Quaint" alot to describe the sights.

Don't get me wrong, all these places are worth seeing, but you need more time, and you've missed so much.

Phil.

svxistentialist
06-29-2004, 03:48 AM
Napa

Phil is right, whistle-stop tours should be avoided.

Phil B I mean.:D

Phil A, you never told me nothing about these brothels last time I was over!!:mad:

:D

My friends and I are doing a 5-day tour of Ireland on bikes [mechanised] in August, for about the fourth or fifth time. We will see something new and wonderful every day.

Europe is a big place. Have you any preferences in your mind, family connections in Bavaria to follow up?:) I am presuming with your car list that Munich/Munchen is a must see.:) ;) I have a few preferences myself, maybe this is what you want to hear;

In Britain Devon & Cornwall, the Lake District and the West of Scotland are worthwhile. On the Continent, Portugal has lovely people and lovely places to see, in Italy around Lake Como and Lake Garda is food for the soul. Switzerland is beautiful, but will soak your dollars at a rate you can hardly believe. Many, many places in France are beautiful, particularly in the South, but you can't go wrong there. If you have time you should see Croatia or some of the other former Yugoslavia areas. Generally inexpensive there, and beautiful. I am told you need a mini-mortgage to get a drink in some Scandinavian countries.:rolleyes: Being Irish, my World Map has Black Plague! signs all over any such countries!:rolleyes: :D If I am wrong, Sonar or Lars will correct this impression, I'm sure.

There are so many, hard to include all, even in a month. If you are serious about buying a car and shipping back to US, then a European car with left-hand drive would be good for touring in, I'm sure you could get one from Germany if you looked hard in advance.

Best of luck with the holiday plans..

Joe:)

NapaBavarian
07-02-2004, 07:25 PM
K...

Here's a list of ideas...

Germany, in general

Amsterdam and Holland

I know there's more, but that's off the top of my head :)