PDA

View Full Version : manual power mode

poweredx2
06-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Has anyone wired up a switch to have power mode ondemand,if so please share the details about which wires to tap into.

Chiketkd
06-21-2004, 08:13 PM
From my understanding, power mode is triggered by the TPS moving to a WOT position. When power mode is not activated, the sensor reads +5 volts, and 0 volts when at WOT. It can be wired up with a switch somehow.

Read this for more info: Forced Power Mode and Shift Tricks (http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/#_Toc482082587)

Terry McLane runs that FAQ page, and he may be able to give you some insight into which wires to tap into, to make your switch. You can e-mail him at: tmclane@voyager.net

-Chike

SVXer95
06-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Chiketkd
From my understanding, power mode is triggered by the TPS moving to a WOT position. When power mode is not activated, the sensor reads +5 volts, and 0 volts when at WOT. It can be wired up with a switch somehow.

Read this for more info: Forced Power Mode and Shift Tricks (http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/#_Toc482082587)

Terry McLane runs that FAQ page, and he may be able to give you some insight into which wires to tap into, to make your switch. You can e-mail him at: tmclane@voyager.net

-Chike

I don't know all the details on how it works, but the tps does not have to be at WOT for power mode to engage. A qucik stab of the pedal will do it.

Chiketkd
06-21-2004, 08:37 PM
You're correct - that's why I phrased it 'moving to a WOT position.' The sensor is just reading two voltages +5 or 0, and a switch to break the circuit should be relatively simple to fabricate...

-Chike
Originally posted by SVXer95
I don't know all the details on how it works, but the tps does not have to be at WOT for power mode to engage. A qucik stab of the pedal will do it.

MisanthropyV
06-22-2004, 04:08 AM
There is a way to do it, something to do with an 'S' word. Definately an 'S' word... damn. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Give me a hint people, you need to do 'something' to them to flick to 4wd mode??????Wire them or something????

...Gonna have to get back to you...

p.s. The power mode doesn't give you any more power. It just plays with the rate and force the Tranny shifts gears...

IggDawg
06-22-2004, 08:06 AM
power mode isn't neccecarily engaged by a TPS reading of "full throttle". It's engaged when it reads a change in throttle of a significant value over a short time. basically, it goes into power mode when you stab the pedal real fast. I get it a lot when I tap the gas to rev a little during a manual downshift.

the reason the switch works is that a sudden change in voltage from 5 to 0 would signify an instantaneous change in throttle position from closed to open. this obviously satisfies the change in voltage per time period criterion. leaving the switch on would make it think you are still at WOT, and it'd keep it in power mode no matter what throttle position you are really at.

I hope that makes some sense?

red95svx
06-22-2004, 08:11 AM
There has been talk of this before. One of the solenoids for the transmission can be wired with a switch to activate Power mode on demand.....although I don't see why you'd need it. My car goes into power mode easily, and you can always just shift the gears yourself and hold each one until redline.......

Dave

poweredx2
06-22-2004, 08:36 AM
It'll be for dragracing only.I don't want have to leave at 3000rpms,my car leave better at about 1800rpms in powermode but I have to get it in powermode and stage.I have a fwd svx.That project will be underway this week.

red95svx
06-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by poweredx2
It'll be for dragracing only.I don't want have to leave at 3000rpms,my car leave better at about 1800rpms in powermode but I have to get it in powermode and stage.I have a fwd svx.That project will be underway this week.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see how that will help. Power mode simply keeps the transmission in each gear until red-line. Why would it matter if you had Power mode on while you were at a stop? If you floor the car, you'll get Power mode....if you shift through the gears yourself you'll get the same results as power mode.....so why bother with a switch?

Dave

Chiketkd
06-22-2004, 12:27 PM
It's not just you...

poweredx2, if you're having traction problems launching at any rpm above 1800 (b/c you have a fwd svx), then the power mode switch wouldn't help. It'll just come down to modulating the throttle at the line for that perfect launch...

-Chike
Originally posted by red95svx
Maybe it's me, but I don't see how that will help.

poweredx2
06-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Well this will be hard to sell but looking at some timeslips on motor no nos, in powermode resulted in nearly half a second slower time due to the tranny not giving the full line pressure.I did find a easy solution today I adjusted my tps sensor from 4 to 5.5 volts,now if brake the car an tap the throttle lightly bam I get powermode and I drop the rpms to about 1700-1850 before launching the car.This way I don't have to stomp the pedal to the floor and the car starts to creep,leaving at 3000 rpm on motor resulted in a 2.7 60ft where at the other rpm I get constant 2.23-6 all day,you guys have it good with awd no disrespect,but having a fwd svx with a decent amount of power is awesome.Also I adjusted the tps up to .6 volts and the car was in power mode as soon as the car was started so I made my adjustments from there,the olschool guys have been playing with tps for years for free hp on 5.0 mustangs.

immortal_suby
06-22-2004, 05:54 PM
I get what he is saying - if you stomp the pedal off the line to get power mode you basically end up bogging it - but a smoother transition to WOT will actually be faster.

poweredx2
06-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Wow someone actually understands,but my car don't bog it'll fry the tires thru first gear on motor,that is why I leave at low rpm.After I get the ecutune chip the drag radials is going back on.Thanks everyone ;)

Chiketkd
06-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Good luck! Someone just beat your 14.78 all motor time in the 1/4...

-Chike
Wow someone actually understands,but my car don't bog it'll fry the tires thru first gear on motor,that is why I leave at low rpm.After I get the ecutune chip the drag radials is going back on.Thanks everyone ;)

poweredx2
06-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Thats what I like to hear.SVX running 14s on motor is a great task ,auto tranny two thumbs up was it a manaul or automatic.I have no choice because of my height about shifting gears.

Chiketkd
06-23-2004, 07:51 AM
It was a 5spd awd '92. SubaFreak ran a 14.77 @ 92.7mph. You can view the thread here: 14.77s 1/4 mile SVX (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19447)

I know your trap speed was higher, but the awd must have given him a great launch. He cut a 2.0 60' time... There's a pic of his timeslip on the second page.

-Chike

P.S. I will hopefully enter the race in the coming months for the fastest NA SVX when I put in some 4.44 gears, add an STI intake, Longass's chip and an exhaust. ;)
Thats what I like to hear.SVX running 14s on motor is a great task ,auto tranny two thumbs up was it a manaul or automatic.I have no choice because of my height about shifting gears.

Tiamat-red
07-04-2004, 11:02 AM
So, did anybody ever answer the original question?
I've been the page many time where it describes "All you need to do is wire in a cut off switch to the tcu". But WHAT WIRE???

For whatever reason my car(92 ls-l) doesn't seem to want to go into power mode when I merely mash the pedal.
I have to be going like 90 before it kicks in when floored.
I can do the stab and stomp trick. I just don't want to :p

I already bought the switches(for awd lock up also), I just need to know what wires to cut!:confused:

rmjjensen
07-04-2004, 12:16 PM
simply cutting the tps wire to the TCU does not activate power mode ......I tried this ......the transmission severly kicked down as though I wanted brisk acceleration, but no power light activation.

I think maybe you might have to send 4.5V to the TPS wire to the TCU, then rapidly drop it to that 0.5V WOT position

Danish_svx
07-09-2004, 03:49 PM
That's what power mode is. Power mode puts the car in the lowest possible gear at that speed.

Tiamat-red
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Did we ever figure out how to wire a power mode switch?
Didn't some cars come with them stock?

Or would it just be easier to pick my hand up, move it all the way over to the gear selector, grab the gear selector, and put it 3rd?
Because that seems like a lot of work...:rolleyes:

Bwana
01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
holy old thread batman :eek:

Darren
01-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi guys,

My JDM Alcyone has a power mode button below the shifter gate which lights up on the dash full time when its switched on.

So the answer to your question is possibly!
JDM & UK (possibly Europe) have different gearboxes to you guys in the US, but if you have auto power mode I would expect it could be converted full time on a switch.

cbx-man
01-12-2007, 03:44 PM
In power mode the tranny shifts @ 6K rpm. If you put the gear selector in 1st gear and leave it there it shifts to each of the next gears @ 6500 rpm redline. Has anyone done this @ the track to see if it gives better e.t.'s?

svxcess
01-12-2007, 07:45 PM
In power mode the tranny shifts @ 6K rpm. If you put the gear selector in 1st gear and leave it there it shifts to each of the next gears @ 6500 rpm redline. Has anyone done this @ the track to see if it gives better e.t.'s?
That's how Harry Newman "newsvx" runs his car at the autocrosses. Puts it in 1st and floors it. When it hits redline, it shifts into second. as he slows a little it automatically goes back to first.

This technique has served him well.

svxistentialist
01-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi guys,

My JDM Alcyone has a power mode button below the shifter gate which lights up on the dash full time when its switched on.

So the answer to your question is possibly!
JDM & UK (possibly Europe) have different gearboxes to you guys in the US, but if you have auto power mode I would expect it could be converted full time on a switch.

You are partially correct here Darren[mostly correct actually;) ]

I tried changing my UK car, there is a long thread about it. You would expect that feeding the 0.5V wot signal to the TCU gives permanent Power mode as per Terry MacLane's prediction, but this is not the case, it drops back after a set time. It can be achieved by modulating or breaking this permanent 0.5 wot signal, somebody has done this already. Once it sees this square wave signal [0 to 0.5v alternating] it is permanently re-starting in Power mode, so it never gets to the length of time where it drops out of Power.

Darren, the centre part of the 4EAT box is the same for US and Japanese boxes. They both have the external speed sensor 2 exiting beside the diff dipstick.

The US and JDM boxes differ from each other in that the US one has the "rear assist" take-off drive at the back using an electric clutch, rather than the full-time AWD setup that is on the JDM box [and our UK ones].

Transmissions for Europe/UK and Au/Nz are fulltime AWD at the rear section, but speed sensor 2 is inside the transmission, and feeds to the TCU through the lhs loom [Americans say harness:) ]

The reason it has proven difficult to wire the Power mode the way Terry MacLane says is the circuitry that is hard wired in the USA transmission computer is different from that which is inside the Japanese TCU. In the JDM set-up, it merely requires grounding a pin on the TCU to activate full-time Power mode. As the signal to the same pin on the American TCU is performing a different function, this trick does not work with the US or Euro style of TCU.

Using the method in paragraph 2 above, it will definitely work. It is just not as easy as connecting two wires or grounding a pin.

Joe:)

svxistentialist
01-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the SVX drives much, much better with Power mode on all the time. I drove my Claret car for years with it permanently on.

In Power mode it reacts to kick-down more quickly, and it holds on to gears longer if you gas it. If you drive gently, it changes up quick enough, but not as fast as Normal mode. The difference in mpg was only one or two mpg heavier from non-Power operation, depending how hard you hammered it.

It also did not dither between changes as some people suggested.

Both USA and UK cars have the TCU software set up the same for economy reasons. Power mode only activates on demand within certain parameters. When in action, it drops off when signals such as TPS drop below a certain level, or after a set length of time. Way too soon IMO.

English cars have a switch you US guys don't have I think, an Econ switch. What Econ does is it de-activates the circuit in the TCU for switching on Power mode. In Econ mode, all overtaking is leisurely, no amount of aggression will activate Power mode. The car changes gear according to the Normal rules or parameters.

Manual mode does exactly the same thing as Econ, denies Power mode, with one minor difference. Manual mode also denies use of 1st range, the car always moves away in 2.

End of lesson:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Darren
01-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Cheers Joe :)

I wasnt totally aware of the such wide ranging differences! I come across it allot with some of the parallel imports but the SVX being a small production run I would have thought for the cost alone they would have kept a 2 market standard, hense why is was why over priced at new! lol

I drive with my power on around town & virtually anything but motorway or dual carrage way. I find its so much smoother and no searching for gears.

svxistentialist
01-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Cheers Joe :)

I wasnt totally aware of the such wide ranging differences! I come across it allot with some of the parallel imports but the SVX being a small production run I would have thought for the cost alone they would have kept a 2 market standard, hense why is was why over priced at new! lol

I drive with my power on around town & virtually anything but motorway or dual carrage way. I find its so much smoother and no searching for gears.

Actually Darren, I have to agree, I have said a number of times it is hard to figure why parts were so different between markets.

It is said, true or false, that the reason the US got the FWD rear assist style gearbox was because the rear drive could be switched off to allow the car to be tested in some states which only had 2WD single drum roller testers.

The actuality could be more commercial and mundane; the very high price they charged in the UK allowed them to include all the goodies. In the US, they were trying to keep the target price down to compete with local product. Granted, the local hardware was basic in engineering terms, still is, comparatively, but the new SVX had to be priced right to win market share from them.

Same story with the plastic lights, the lack of headlight washers, lack of remote dip beam adjustment, lack of seat heaters etc etc.

People in the US still think of the '92 SVX when new as being an expensive car. Well, put in perspective when new in England they were £38,000.

I think that equates to something over $70,000. I'm willing to bet it was not quite that expensive in the US back in '92.:rolleyes: :)

I drove mine in Power mode all the time. On motorways I found it better prepared to select 3 and move along when you want to change lanes.

With Power off, it had learned that you want to drive steady, and a big push on the pedal gave leisurely acceleration in top. You could make it downshift by flooring it, but then it went berserk:eek: . So you had the option of two modes; leisurely pensioner or quarter miler berserker.

I couldn't stand that, so I left Power on all the time. It's no different than the Sports mode in BMW autos. If I had one of them, I would leave it in Sports all the time as well.;)

TomsSVX
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
just put your foot to the floor... Power mode only adjusts shift points, it has nothing to do with the engine

Tom

Trevor
01-18-2007, 01:08 AM
just put your foot to the floor... Power mode only adjusts shift points, it has nothing to do with the engine

Tom

Yes Tom, mine operates accordingly. The previous reports are confusing to say the least. :confused:

svxistentialist
01-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Tom

The Power mode we have been discussing in the last few posts has been described in relation to the TCU, the Transmission Control Unit.

Which, as you point out, only changes the shift points.

Have you Americans got a Power mode on the engine as well?:rolleyes:

That nobody has told us about?:eek:

svxistentialist
01-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Yes Tom, mine operates accordingly. The previous reports are confusing to say the least. :confused:

Mine works accordingly as well Trevor. And the other one works like a melodeon.:rolleyes: :D

JDM manual one works well.

English on-demand one works crap.