PDA

View Full Version : Tech question(sssss)????

ekprintsos
11-07-2001, 08:53 AM
:confused:
ok Chris, Get your mechanics hat on cause here goes...

1) I just replaced my tranny 1 year ago in august and it has the 24k mile or 2 yr warranty. Can I go to any subaru dealership to have it repaired when it breaks or has problems or do i go to the one that installed it???

1a) Transmission- the trans doesn't seem to be shifting properly, but it is not consistent. That seems to point toward an itermittent electronic problem. Although there could be a hydaulic pressure issue as well. (this is what a friend who drove it had to say about it). do you think this would be covered under warranty???

2) Brakes: brake pedal seems soft and mushy. what does this mean and how often am i supposed to have the brake fluid flushed out? Is this something that is done when you get the oil/filter changed or is this something you have to request that they do?

3) Dashboard lighting- rheostat (the dimmer switch) on the left stalk. Do these go bad often on the SVX??? Has anyone else had problems w/this one???? I had been complaining of this for 3 years now and the dealership thought i was crazy. So my friend drove it at night and saw what i was talking about. would it be easier if i had the entire circuit board replaced or just the switch.

4) Struts- how often should these be replaced? I think mine are worn out.

Boy it's great to have an SVX MECHANICS BRAIN TO PICK!!!
now i have to find a good dealership to bring my "baby" in order to get the repairs done.

? so guys where on this site is the list of dealerships w/the rating? I tried finding it the other day but I couldn't.

Kathy.

Seraph
11-07-2001, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by ekprintsos

? so guys where on this site is the list of dealerships w/the rating? I tried finding it the other day but I couldn't.

Kathy.

Kathy,

The rest of the questions are for chris. However, I can answer the last one.

If you look at the top right coner:

SVX Network Forums
Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Personal Lockers
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search <<<<========

The last item is what you are looking for.

Lwin

cocacola08
11-07-2001, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ekprintsos
ok Chris, Get your mechanics hat on cause here goes...

1) I just replaced my tranny 1 year ago in august and it has the 24k mile or 2 yr warranty. Can I go to any subaru dealership to have it repaired when it breaks or has problems or do i go to the one that installed it???

I'd guess that depends on how the warranty was written. It would say somewhere on there.

1a) Transmission- the trans doesn't seem to be shifting properly, but it is not consistent. That seems to point toward an itermittent electronic problem. Although there could be a hydaulic pressure issue as well. (this is what a friend who drove it had to say about it). do you think this would be covered under warranty???

Maybe try ressetting the ECU, by disconn. the battery? Don't know how much that'd help.

2) Brakes: brake pedal seems soft and mushy. what does this mean and how often am i supposed to have the brake fluid flushed out?

Dunno, does it say in the manual a maintenance shced for that?

Is this something that is done when you get the oil/filter changed

no

or is this something you have to request that they do?

yes

3) Dashboard lighting- rheostat (the dimmer switch) on the left stalk. Do these go bad often on the SVX??? Has anyone else had problems w/this one???? I had been complaining of thisfor 3 years now and the dealership thought i was crazy. So my friend drove it at night and saw what i was talking about. would it be easier if i had the entire circuit board replaced or just the switch.

I haven't heard anyone saying they've had problems w/this

4) Struts- how often should these be replaced? I think mine are worn out.

Don't know the usual life of them, I have heard that it's rare for the strut itself to be bad, but more the bolts that hold the assembly in place.

Boy it's great to have an SVX MECHANICS BRAIN TO PICK!!!

I'm not a mechanic, so use that information at your own risk.

1994SubaruSVX
11-07-2001, 01:05 PM
the brake fluid should be bright red. if it is not replace it.

you should contact your warranty company about the tranny. sounds like it just needs some adjustment.

not sure about the dash lights. sorry......

i got a rattling and rough, jarring ride when my struts needed replacing. any mechanic should be able to tell you if they need to be replaced.

good luck. :)

cdebban
11-07-2001, 08:56 PM
1-It is usually easier to get things warrantied by the installing dealer.
1a-most often if you have an electronic prob it will set a trans code even if it is intermittent.
2-brakes feeling mushy usually means they have gotten air in the lines. Brake fluid should be changed every 30k miles.
3- I have never seen a prob with SVX reostat.
4-Struts are easy to tell look for leaks then do the bounce test, bounce the car hard then let go it should only bounce 2 to 3 times then totally stop.

vkykam
11-07-2001, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
the brake fluid should be bright red. if it is not replace it.

Uh, I think you must've confused it with red wine. :D

No, seriously, brake fluid should be CLEAR in colour. Tranny fluid should be bright red. If the brake fluid looks darker than, say, "cheap" olive oil (not the extra virgin ones with a green tint to it), I'd say replace. When mine came out, it looked like clean motor oil at first, until I saw what was pumped out towards the end, there was a world of difference in colour.

But Chris is right, 30000 miles, or 2 Years.

VK

(Disclaimer: Listening to a Canadian yap can be hazardous to your car's health. :D )

Beav
11-07-2001, 11:31 PM
Uhhh...if your brake fluid is bright red you've got some expensive repairs coming up...:(

1994SubaruSVX
11-08-2001, 04:28 PM
red, clear, as long as it isnt black damn it.......i tried......:o