PDA

View Full Version : Intake Resonator Question...

Chiketkd
05-15-2004, 03:37 PM
OK, I did a search and saw that a few people had removed the intake resonator from their SVX's.

First off, what's the purpose of the IR? Is it just for sound, or does it serve another purpose?

Approx, how much does the entire thing weigh?

Any negatives/positives to removing it?

Thanks! :D

-Chike

deruvian
05-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Resonator only "reduces" the volume of the intake. I removed mine, it doesn't sound much different from inside the car.

It weighs no more than one pound. I think it's probably closer to 12 ounces.

There aren't really any reasons to remove it nor keep it. Some say it makes the intake sound meaner when removed, but I didn't notice a difference really. Some say it makes for better airflow when removed, but looks to be pretty free-flowing to me.

If you remove it, just make sure to cut the tube in half and leave one half of it in the fender well. Stick it into the airbox to keep our stock cold air setup (ya know, avoid sucking hot engine air). When you get in there, you'll know what I mean by all this. It's very straight forward.

marlettpat
05-15-2004, 07:58 PM
i also removed mine. i personally think it sounds a lot better from outside the car or with the windows open. with the wondows closed, i can hear much of a difference. i just removed the whole thing, not keeping any inlet, but that is for the purpose of my secret intake :D

mikecg
05-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Removed mine too. If your good with a saw and some PVC you could cut a hole in the bumper and make a ram air system out of it.

Chiketkd
05-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Well, I plan on removing mine completely tomorrow... I went outside and snapped a picture of the stock resonator earlier:

Intake Resonator
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/17743.jpg

From the looks of it, I really don't think the little tube that runs into the stock intake does much. The air that is fed into the intake is already from behind the fender well, so no hot engine air is getting to it at all.

I removed the one screw at the top holding the upper part of the resonator in place, but there seems to be something else near the front of the big black box thingie... :confused:

How do I detach the lower part of the resonator? Will it just come out if I pull or is it also screwed in somewhere?

Thanks guys! :)

-Chike

deruvian
05-16-2004, 05:21 PM
There are three screws holding it in place. One towards the front of the resonator, and two inside the fender well. Good luck manuvering it around the little metal bracket. :)

And I would leave the upper half of the tube in place. It simply loops around inside the resonator, so cut it in half with a hacksaw or something. When you pull the whole thing out, look at the airbox in relationship to the fenderwell. Mine had about a 0.5" gap, which in my opinion is not what the original makers had in mind. You will still suck a little hot engine air with the whole thing removed.

Chiketkd
05-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks deruvian for answering that question. Sure enough, I found the two additional screws holding the 'black box' in place with a metal bracket.

I was able to detach the lower right side of my SVX's 'under tray' and undo the lower screw with a wrench, however the upper bolt was tricky and after much effort, I was finally able to pry it loose and pull the entire resonator out.

I gathered up every piece down to the last bolt and washer, stuck them all into a plastic bag and weighed it on my digital kitchen scale - 2.5 lbs.

I also got out my saw and cut the black box in half to take a cross-sectional pic of the resonator which is shown below:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/17761.jpg

I figured all of this info could be useful to other SVXers in the future...

Observations: The induction sound of my car is now twice as loud! It is audible inside the car, but even more so from outside (according to my wife). The car has more pick-up and go and moves along quite rapidly even at half throttle.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results, and I'm not too worried about sucking in hot engine air as the fender well from which air is taken from is quite isolated from the engine.

The entire removal process took me about 2 hours (only b/c I also used it as an opportunity to detach intact pipe and clean my throttle bodies with some carb cleaner - Valvoline Carb Cleaner is the best!). I shaved 2.5 pounds off my SVX and improved the airflow to my engine! Not bad for a weekend project and a free mod.

-Chike

Chiketkd
05-16-2004, 08:37 PM
I checked...and my gap was much smaller (approx <0.2"). I may just fabricate something out of the silicone putty used to plug punctured gas tanks/ radiators and fill in the gap - wouldn't be very hard to do.

-Chike
Originally posted by deruvian
Mine had about a 0.5" gap, which in my opinion is not what the original makers had in mind. You will still suck a little hot engine air with the whole thing removed.

tancred
05-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Chike i see you found the stock SVX saxaphone...

Chiketkd
05-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah! :D
Originally posted by tancred
Chike i see you found the stock SVX saxaphone...

deruvian
05-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Chiketkd
I gathered up every piece down to the last bolt and washer, stuck them all into a plastic bag and weighed it on my digital kitchen scale - 2.5 lbs.

Heavier than I expected, for sure.

Observations: The induction sound of my car is now twice as loud! It is audible inside the car, but even more so from outside (according to my wife). The car has more pick-up and go and moves along quite rapidly even at half throttle.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results, and I'm not too worried about sucking in hot engine air as the fender well from which air is taken from is quite isolated from the engine.

If you say so, I think I might go ahead and try it without the upper half of the tubing. Perhaps another option is to get some appropriately sized PVC or radiator-style tubing and only use about a 2 - 3 inch length to join the filter box and fenderwell together. Some silicon should hold it in nicely. It's not really worth it to try and find a correctly-sized rubber grommet.

Chiketkd
05-17-2004, 09:24 AM
deruvian, I thought about the 'gap' last night and decided to modify the upper part of my intake resonator with a saw inorder to prevent any hot engine air from entering into my intake tract...

The modified IR is only 5 inches long and weighs approx 6 ounces...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/17804.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/17805.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/17806.jpg

It might be hard to see from the third pic, but I cut the plastic piping in such a way that an 'oval face' is pointing in the direction of the airflow...

The induction sound has been reduced slightly at lower rpms, but everything still comes to life above 3000rpms! :D I kinda like this modified set-up better as it'll smoothen out the airflow going into my intake box, without any apparent restriction...

I love my SVX!!!

:)

-Chike

Chiketkd
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Update: Central VA had a flash flood yesterday and 3" of rain fell in a 2 hour time frame. I drove home at 65mph in this weather and checked my airbox this morning to see if any water had gotten in - none at all! There was also NO unusual debris collected in the bottom of my airbox.

Seems like this set-up is working great thus far - and I just love the sound! :)

-Chike

Landshark
05-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Update: Central VA had a flash flood yesterday and 3" of rain fell in a 2 hour time frame. I drove home at 65mph in this weather and checked my airbox this morning to see if any water had gotten in - none at all! There was also NO unusual debris collected in the bottom of my airbox.

Seems like this set-up is working great thus far - and I just love the sound! :)

-Chike

there would probably have to be water nearly up to the hood for it to suck in water - you'd have bigger problems in that case.

i did the same thing with mine, BTW - i had the little hole at the bottom of the tube covered with duct tape, but a while ago i just hacked it at an angle near the top. makes no difference anyway with the Stebro symphony. :D

svxash
07-11-2004, 04:34 PM
I removed the intake resonator on my wife's car. It seems to help a little. I didn't notice much of a change in the sound. I didn't cut the tube in half I just cut along the two tabs that held the two tubes together. That way if I ever want to put it back together I can. Here are some photos.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxash/19255.JPG
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxash/19262.JPG
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxash/19263.JPG
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxash/19264.JPG

svxhunter
07-11-2004, 07:09 PM
SVXASH:

One warning: Your intake is different from Chiketkd's because the intake opening is in a different place. By cutting the tube, Chiketkd's intake still pulls air from high in the fender. Your intake tube is very low. If you drive through a puddle or heavy rain, you could suck a large amount of water into your engine- VERY BAD.

I also run a low intake, with a fabricated ram box. But I NEVER drive in the rain. I will be raising it soon. I'll be modifying the front bumper to bring it through.

Chiketkd
07-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Agreed. Svxash, I fashioned the upper part of my intake resonator to do what svxhunter mentioned - draw cool air from higher up in the fender. If you look at the bottom of the passenger side turn signal, you will see a 1" gap in the rubber insulation between that light and the passenger side headlight. This is the location where Subaru had the input end of the intake resonator collect cold air - and when I modifed my intake resonator pipe I made sure it lined up with that small hole.

About trying to draw air from the lower part of the fender, read the linked paragraph from the SVX FAQ page and draw your own conclusion: SVX FAQ Page - Intake Resonator (http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/#_Toc482082561)

-Chike :)
Originally posted by svxhunter
One warning: Your intake is different from Chiketkd's because the intake opening is in a different place. By cutting the tube, Chiketkd's intake still pulls air from high in the fender. Your intake tube is very low. If you drive through a puddle or heavy rain, you could suck a large amount of water into your engine- VERY BAD.

svxfiles
07-11-2004, 10:20 PM
I truly hate to say this, but the Subaru engineers made this box to increase the plenum of "still" air available to the intake. Yes, in the neverending pursuit of MORE power, I have removed and modified the intake, more times than I can say. But if you study thermodynamics, and airflow you can improve on the original idea, but it means insulating the plumbing from heat, and introducing ambiant temp air, preferably under presure, as in RAM AIR, there are power gains available. Tom

svxash
07-11-2004, 10:33 PM
I'll have to look into this further. There is a gap on both the driver's side and the passenger's side by the turn signals. Where exactly does the air enter the wheel well? I didn't notice any large openings anywhere. Does the small gap cause a low pessure area in the wheelwell thus drawing air up into the well?

Chiketkd
07-12-2004, 07:28 AM
That small gap is on both the driver's and passenger's side of the car. However, the gap on the passenger side is what feeds the wheel well where the intake resonator is located.

At speed, the airflow directed at the car is split at the front bumper causing an area of high pressure to be formed around the area of our radiators. As a result, some air will be forced into that 'gap' as the inside of the wheel well will be at a lower pressure.

-Chike
Originally posted by svxash
I'll have to look into this further. There is a gap on both the driver's side and the passenger's side by the turn signals. Where exactly does the air enter the wheel well? I didn't notice any large openings anywhere. Does the small gap cause a low pessure area in the wheelwell thus drawing air up into the well?

svxash
07-12-2004, 05:37 PM
It just seems like such a small area to have air drawn in from. Some air might enter there but not enough to feed the engine. If that were the only place where it entered then our intake tube would only need to be 1" or so. I'm thinking that the majority comes from around the grill opening.

Chiketkd
07-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Some air might come from the grill opening, but that 'small area' is where the input end of the intake resonator was placed. When a high pressure zone is created at the front of a car, you'd be surprised at how much air will flow into a low pressure zone through a small hole like that... ;)

-Chike
It just seems like such a small area to have air drawn in from. Some air might enter there but not enough to feed the engine. If that were the only place where it entered then our intake tube would only need to be 1" or so. I'm thinking that the majority comes from around the grill opening.

svxash
07-12-2004, 11:19 PM
At speed, the airflow directed at the car is split at the front bumper causing an area of high pressure to be formed around the area of our radiators.As a result, some air will be forced into that 'gap'as the inside of the wheel well will be at a lower pressure.
Then where does the air enter from when car is just starting out before it has a chance to build speed?:confused: That small gap can't be the main inlet. I've placed my hand over the intake and have opened the throttle quickly and it sucks you hand to the tube. If that were the only inlet it seems like the engine would easily consume all of the air in there before the car was up to speed. I'm not trying to argue but I'm confused and trying to understand this. Also if driving in rain or a puddle where would all of the water come from if there is no opening on the bottom? The light you see in the photos is there because I hadn't installed the fender liner yet. Once installed there is no opening on the bottom of the car or wheel well. The stock resonator seems to serve several purposes:
1. to quiet the intake noise
2. if any water was sucked, the pipes are split and the water being heavier would fall to the bottom of the chamber and drain out through the drain holes.
3. to maybe increase velocity by coming down the inlet stack?

Chiketkd
07-13-2004, 08:21 AM
The stock resonator may serve a few different purposes, but the main reason for that 'gap' in the pipe is for the production of an induction sound or 'resonance' when air moves over it quickly (kinda like blowing air over the top of a coke bottle).

The reason why I cut my resonator at the top and have my intake collect air from high in the fender, is to avoid any water from ever getting into my airbox. I've driven through several storms since doing this mod, and not a drop has gotten in there. With your set-up, you run a higher risk - but even then, I doubt you'll see any water in your airbox.

-Chike
The stock resonator seems to serve several purposes:
1. to quiet the intake noise
2. if any water was sucked, the pipes are split and the water being heavier would fall to the bottom of the chamber and drain out through the drain holes.
3. to maybe increase velocity by coming down the inlet stack?

dragon8504
07-20-2004, 07:11 PM
what if you were to weld something like sheet metal just below the stock tube after removing the resonator and tubing and make that an enclosed system?

Chiketkd
07-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Not quite sure how you want to arrange the sheet metal to make it an 'enclosed system'??? :confused:

This was the airbox mod that SVX-FF did to his '92 to make the Intake Resonator a closed system...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVX-FF/18964.JPG

-Chike
Originally posted by dragon8504
what if you were to weld something like sheet metal just below the stock tube after removing the resonator and tubing and make that an enclosed system?

Chiketkd
07-22-2004, 07:55 AM
...have asked me for instructions on removing the intake resonator, so I figured it'd be worthwhile to post them for everyone.

1) Pop the hood and jack the car up and remove the passenger side wheel.

2) Right around the center of the wheel well, there will be a small gap in the fender lining where it attaches to the side of the car. Using your fingers (or car keys), pry the fender lining off. Pull it completely out and away from the side of the car so that you'll have an unobstructed view of the back of the resonator...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chiketkd/17743.jpg

3) With a 10mm wrench, loosen and remove the bolt directly infront of the airbox inside the engine bay. This bolt attaches the top of the resonator to the fender wall.

4) With a screw driver (think it's a phillips head) remove the bottom of the under tray directly beneath the resonator completely.

5) Using the 10mm wrench, loosen the two remaining bolts connecting the resonator to the frame.

6) Pull the resonator out completely!

-Chike

Earthworm
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fi...ketkd/17743.jpg

piccy no worky (copy the link...not the text)

Chiketkd
07-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks! I fixed it... :o

-Chike
Originally posted by Earthworm
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fi...ketkd/17743.jpg

piccy no worky (copy the link...not the text)

AppStateSVX
07-31-2004, 12:10 PM
haha,

Oh man, I wish I had read this entire thread, I just spent a LOT more time than I needed to doing this!, haha, well, I managed to take off the resonator without jacking the car up or taking my wheel off, I just got done, so Im unable to talk about results yet, but here's to the best! :D :cool: :D

Chiketkd
07-31-2004, 10:03 PM
That's awesome! How do you like the results?

-Chike
Originally posted by MidnightBlack92
haha,

Oh man, I wish I had read this entire thread, I just spent a LOT more time than I needed to doing this!, haha, well, I managed to take off the resonator without jacking the car up or taking my wheel off, I just got done, so Im unable to talk about results yet, but here's to the best! :D :cool: :D

AppStateSVX
07-31-2004, 10:24 PM
oh my gosh man!, it's SOO nice, I had a Chance to Redline the car tonight, it was louder than my friends Toyota Tacoma with Flowmasters, wow, I LOVE the sound, now, If i can just get my exhuast "fixed" (remove exhaust resonator and secondary Cat. , replace primary cats with 3.8 Mustang HI-Flows from flowmaster, then FlowMaster Tips) :D

Chiketkd
07-31-2004, 11:56 PM
That's awesome! The difference is very noticeable afterwards...

It made me want to drive my car non-stop!

-Chike
oh my gosh man!, it's SOO nice, I had a Chance to Redline the car tonight, it was louder than my friends Toyota Tacoma with Flowmasters, wow, I LOVE the sound

Phast SVX
08-01-2004, 01:06 AM
oh my gosh man!, it's SOO nice, I had a Chance to Redline the car tonight, it was louder than my friends Toyota Tacoma with Flowmasters, wow, I LOVE the sound, now, If i can just get my exhuast "fixed" (remove exhaust resonator and secondary Cat. , replace primary cats with 3.8 Mustang HI-Flows from flowmaster, then FlowMaster Tips) :D

Want to sell me your old resonator? I kind of like quite intakes, and mine somehow has gotten thrown away.
phil

AppStateSVX
08-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I'll sell you my old one, The only problem is that I had to cut about a 2 inch "ring" from the top to aviod that "Gap" that Chike had mentioned earlier. Just name me a price, I won't charge much, since I don't really need it......

THAWA
08-01-2004, 05:42 PM
I thought the reason for that gap was to allow water to escape if it was ingested through the snorkus. If you loook in the direct bottom of it there is a tiny hole as well. Maybe it has more than one purpose?

AppStateSVX
08-01-2004, 08:58 PM
the gap i'm talking about was from removing the pipe itself, It will cause a gap about .5" wide to form between the hole and the Air Intake box

Chiketkd
08-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Thawa, the gap you're thinking of will allow water to escape, but it was primarily designed to produce an induction sound in the upper rpms...

-Chike

P.S. The gap MidnightBlack92 is talking about is the slight 0.5" space between the fender and the stock airbox. By using only the upper 2-3" of the intake tubing, the gap remains sealed and only cooler air from inside the fender is drawn into the engine.
Originally posted by THAWA
I thought the reason for that gap was to allow water to escape if it was ingested through the snorkus. If you loook in the direct bottom of it there is a tiny hole as well. Maybe it has more than one purpose?

THAWA
08-02-2004, 09:52 AM
oh, hehe, word :)

svxgirl92
08-10-2004, 12:44 AM
ok, i got the directions of how to remove the resinator, but how do you seal the gap?

n00b on demand
08-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Yea i have that gap from the fender to the airbox too. Dunno if i should be really concerned about that. I dont really care...the car sounds awesome above 3k rpm's!. Was a pain in the a** to get out since we didnt take the wheel off. If anyone is going to take the resonator out i would strongly suggest taking the wheel off. It would make everything so much easier and save alot of time. Me and my friend took almost 45 mins to get the damn thing out because of the 100 different ways we had to manuver it. Then we just got angry and ripped it right out. Ya know i noticed something very strange...it used to be when i turned the wheel all the way to the right there would be some sort of resistence almost like there was something that the wheel was hitting. I now notice that steering the car like that it alot easier and it goes perfectly. Could the wheel somehow have been hitting the resonator? Seems like a crazy idea but its the only thing i could think of.

Chiketkd
08-10-2004, 08:29 AM
You'll need to get a saw and cut the resonator off at the top leaving only ~4" of it. I cut it at a point where the upper srew & nut are attached to the fender. This way, my 4" modified resonator pipe is sill firmly attached and held in place.

You could also find a slightly curved piece of PVC piping...

-Chike
Originally posted by svxgirl92
ok, i got the directions of how to remove the resinator, but how do you seal the gap?

Chiketkd
08-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Hmmm... I seriously doubt it, but you never know???

-Chike
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Could the wheel somehow have been hitting the resonator? Seems like a crazy idea but its the only thing i could think of.

svxhunter
08-10-2004, 05:56 PM
There's an easier way to get to the resonator- remove the entire bumper wrap. There are a lot of screws, but it's really pretty simple. We've had ours on and off dozens of times.

You have to remove the parking lights (1 screw each) to remove the headlights, the headlights (2 screws each, I think) and the mock light to access all the screws. Most of them are accesible from under the bumper wrap. There is one you may miss- it is right in the middle of the front license plate.

Chiketkd
08-11-2004, 07:34 AM
You know, 1 hour, two busted knuckles and one angry temper into removing mine, I realized that... :o

Removing the undertray portion of the bumper definitely makes removal of the intake resonator 10 times easier! :)

-Chike
There's an easier way to get to the resonator- remove the entire bumper wrap. There are a lot of screws, but it's really pretty simple. We've had ours on and off dozens of times

n00b on demand
08-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Removing the bumper wrap is exactly what we did. We didnt take the wheel off because we had no jack and was doing this on a hill. The resonator was not going to come out through the wheel well or anything so we busted it loose thru the front bumper. Took longer than it should have but we got it out none the less. One question though...is it easy for water to get in the airbox now? It was torrential downpour today and i tried to stay away from puddles as much as i could.

Chiketkd
08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
I've driven my SVX in several torrential downpours since doing this free mod and haven't noticed a drop of moisture in my airbox. Since the opening to the airbox is located so high on the fender, it'll be very hard for any water to get in...

-Chike
One question though...is it easy for water to get in the airbox now? It was torrential downpour today and i tried to stay away from puddles as much as i could.

n00b on demand
08-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Ok that makes me feel better. Since i have AWD i like to take it into huge puddles and mud and stuff but because of doing the MOD i was afraid water would get in. So now i can go back to rallying the SVX with no probs :D .

Chiketkd
08-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Rally it Tom, rally it! :D

-Chike
So now i can go back to rallying the SVX with no probs :D .

n00b on demand
08-12-2004, 09:19 PM
I have rally'd the SVX a few times. The awd is pretty amazing going around corners but since we have wide tires its not as good as it can be. With some more money i might invest in buying some skinnies so that i can rally the SVX sometime. I always said one day if i ever got rid of the SVX i would always get an impreza and transform it into a rally car. Rallying and hill racing is some of the funnest things ive ever done. Much better than drag racing. More skill involved.

rob_4187
08-19-2004, 06:34 PM
I cant get to my intake resonater because there is a huge skid plate, oil pan, and other plastic casings throughout my whole front end that goes all the way through the wheelwell. Did you guys have to take that off? I saw in the pictures that it wasnt even on the other cars.

Chiketkd
08-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by rob_4187
I cant get to my intake resonater because there is a huge skid plate, oil pan, and other plastic casings throughout my whole front end that goes all the way through the wheelwell. Did you guys have to take that off? I saw in the pictures that it wasnt even on the other cars.
The 'under tray' you speak of is standard on all SVXs, but some members just remove it.

The way to access the intake resonator is to completely remove the small plastic 'skid plate' located directly infront of the passenger side wheelwell. With that out of the way, use a 10mm wrench to loosen the three bolts holding the resonator to the inside fender.

-Chike

rob_4187
08-19-2004, 08:26 PM
ok, thanks. I figured thats how it was supposed to be but i wasnt sure if it would be good to take that off. Would it be any louder if i dont have my airbox in? I have a 3 inch cone filter instead...

Chiketkd
08-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Everyone who's done this mod has mentioned that the induction sound is increased...

Good luck!

-Chike
ok, thanks. I figured thats how it was supposed to be but i wasnt sure if it would be good to take that off. Would it be any louder if i dont have my airbox in? I have a 3 inch cone filter instead...

thundering02
08-20-2004, 01:49 AM
Wish I had pics of my integra.... but I have no plastic underfender and my intake is an autozone cone about 2/3 of the way down in the fender well pouring rain puddles even a shollow creek have not manged to get any water in the pipe. I would not worry about any of your systems if you leave the plastic cover there.

thundering02
08-20-2004, 02:32 AM
thndrmtn92svx has under silver dollar folder a very good pic of the resonator as it sit in the car maybe this can show or clarify somethings to somebody

svxhunter
08-20-2004, 04:03 AM

I can't picture any way that you could possibly still have the intake resonator connected if you have a cone filter. :confused: :confused:

rob_4187
08-20-2004, 08:40 AM

I can't picture any way that you could possibly still have the intake resonator connected if you have a cone filter. :confused: :confused:

The intake resonater isnt connected to the airbox.

Chiketkd
08-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by thundering02
thndrmtn92svx has under silver dollar folder a very good pic of the resonator as it sit in the car maybe this can show or clarify somethings to somebody
That is a very good pic: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/thndrmtn92svx/14567.JPG

Rob_4187, you are correct in saying that the resonator isn't attached to the stock airbox. It's attached to the passenger side fender with three bolts.

-Chike

AppStateSVX
08-20-2004, 11:10 AM

Isn't this a bad idea, the Cone Filter thing? Wouldn't more hot air come in and kill performance? :confused:

Chiketkd
08-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Isn't this a bad idea, the Cone Filter thing? Wouldn't more hot air come in and kill performance? :confused:
According to the SVX FAQ page, cone filters in the engine bay are not advisable: SVX FAQ - Air Filters (http://svx-iw.com/svxiw/faq.html#_Toc482082560)

-Chike

thundering02
08-20-2004, 04:33 PM
UNLESS you build an airbox or separator for it there was a pic somewhere in the lockers that somebody had done to keep it drawing from the fender and not the engine bay.

rob_4187
08-20-2004, 06:00 PM
I have a heat sheild on it...what would you suggest in place of the cone filter? Should i just put the box back on and toss in a k&n?

svxhunter
08-20-2004, 09:22 PM

The intake resonater isnt connected to the airbox.

If your intake resonator is not currently connected, removing it can't possible have any performance effect whatsoever.

Unless you count it as "weight reduction"- about 2 lbs, right Chike?

Chiketkd
08-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Unless you count it as "weight reduction"- about 2 lbs, right Chike?
Correct.

2.5lbs on my digital kitchen scale for all of the hardware including every last bolt and nut! ;)

-Chike

rob_4187
08-21-2004, 12:14 PM
I have an intake from my old del sol that i could mount it in place of the resinator then conect it to the top of the filter so it sucks in air from the fender. Good idea or bad idea?

svxhunter
08-21-2004, 03:52 PM
I have an intake from my old del sol that i could mount it in place of the resinator then conect it to the top of the filter so it sucks in air from the fender. Good idea or bad idea?

Rob:

You said you use a cone filter, right? The way these are usually installed is that the airbox is removed and the cone filter is put in its place. The air is drawn through the cone filter from the air in the engine bay. That would leave the intake resonator disconnected as well.

There are mixed opinions on this setup. Some people swear the cone filter increases HP. Others say the air in the engine bay is warmer than the air in the fender, so the engine is now pulling in hotter air for a net HP loss.

If you are a believer in cone filters, the alternative is to extend the piping between the filter and the engine (using PVC, metal tubing, etc. etc.) so that the cone filter is located in a cooler location, like inside the fender.

The problem with this setup is that if the cone filter is located in the fender, it will be difficult to access. This will likely lead to poor maintenance (it may not get cleaned/ changed as frequently as needed). If this happens, it will definitely lead to performance problems (or worse). Additionally, if the piping penetration of the fender liner is not sealed, you will still have some hot engine bay air getting into the fender, and you will not have as good air draw as the factory setup, because of the pressure differences.

When extending the piping to locate the cone in the fender, if you eliminate the intake chamber (the plastic bulge in the piping at the back of the engine between the throttle body and the firewall), most people agree that you will have a net HP loss.

My racer SVX uses a stock airbox with a drop in K&N filter.The intake resonator is removed and the piping is extended down to a funnel shaped ram air box cut throught the bottom of the fender liner. I believe this give me good filtration and an increase in cool airflow at the same time.

Hope this is helpful.

rob_4187
08-21-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm not dropping the filter down into the fender. The filter is staying in the engine bay with a sheild on it and there is a pipe running from the fender into the engine bay through the resonater port that has a rubber peice that can fit into the top of the filter. Air is sucked in from the surrounding cone, but most of it is from the top. I'll try to put some pics up tomorrow to explain it better. Thanks for the advice because turning it into a cold air intake was also an option.

rob_4187
08-22-2004, 03:32 PM
About how much hp did the k&n give you?

svxhunter
08-22-2004, 05:36 PM
I never did a factual measurement. (dyno, drag time, etc.)

It "feels" a lot better. That doesn't mean that much!:)

Earthworm
08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
I just tried something to seal the gap between the fenter and the airbox when the intake resonator is removed.

I took a piece of hose and slit it down the side. I cut it to the proper length to correctly fit around the hole in the fender. The hose I used is thick enough that when I put the airbox back on that it seals the gap perfectly.

Myxalplyx
07-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Can anyone on this site send me a junk resonator piece that they no longer have any use for? I need to install it with a stock SVX intake air filter for testing. Thanks!

BTW: I can pay for the shipping, no problem. I'd like it overnighted to me.

svxfiles
07-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Can anyone on this site send me a USED resonator piece that they no longer have any use for? I need to install it with a stock SVX intake air filter for testing. Thanks!

BTW: I can pay for the shipping, no problem. I'd like it overnighted to me.
Sent it out yesterday.:)
Shipping was two million dollars.;)
Please PayPal me at
tom@svxfiles.com

Thank you.

Myxalplyx
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Sent it out yesterday.:)
Shipping was two million dollars.;)
Please PayPal me at
tom@svxfiles.com

Thank you.