PDA

View Full Version : Last thread?

Nobody
04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Hello my friends, bad news, after routine check today my mechanic told me I have engine problem, seems bad crankcase bearing or crank itself, estimated cost - 2 000 USD! Larry posted nice essay about loving this car at General Forum. Right now I have no idea....(I think Tony knows that feeling...)
I am before decision to sale it out (before it will ruin me) or repair. Next week they will look at it with more acurate cost budget.
Nice word really appreciated :-)

Deperate SVX lover

svxistentialist
04-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Wow, Peter,

Terrible news. Maybe when they check it all out, it may cost a bit less. You seem to be dogged by bad luck. Sending good thoughts your way, man. Hope it works out.

Joe

Nobody
04-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi Joe, thanx.
I have just looked at subaruparts.com:
crankcase bearing - aprox. 270 usd per set
crank - aprox. 670USD
It means only 1000 USD for major parts, sealings, other bearings, oil and work not included (engine has to be taken off the car).
Damn, I will drive it till the end and than realize weather to invest or not (cost will be the same, there is nothing to go wrong else...hope). Engine goes better than my Impreza“s but not in low revs than knocking sound appears. When I turn on Climate, engine revs higher and this ... sound disappear. It is time to drive with climate now :-))
I am not the type of man to sell it and do not care what happen to new owner. Sell it with engine problem will reduce price dramaticly.
Peter

The Monzta
04-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Sorry to hear your news Peter. :( These cars don't always repay the love and dedication you show them.

Nobody
04-29-2004, 07:12 AM
yep, mine is the star between others:-)
Hope only bearings are bad, crank shaft is ... expensive thing...
I have checked prices, both here in Europe and on www.subaruparts.com. In states it is 50%!!! less expensive than across Europe so if there is anybody new please check prices in states too to not pay too much to your local dealer.
Peter

The Monzta
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Peter,

Would it not be cheaper and easier to just buy a secondhand engine from someone breaking an SVX? Plus you could keep your current engine for spare parts if needed.

Nobody
05-02-2004, 06:15 AM
It is too expensive, I have not found any spare engine in Europe. I thing good solution could be 10103AA360 Shortblock Engine, which is lower half of engine, new from subaru with warranty. In states costs 1800 USD, which is quite "reasonable". Replacing old parts by old parts seems to me too risky because there will be same problems after some time. First I will let my mechanic check status of crank, if it can be grind and only bearings need to be replaced I will probably do it (aprox 600 USD for parts) if it is too bad, I will drive it till the end, try to create some fund to finance buying new shortblock... Anyway I am short of money :-)

BTW, there are more SVXs in EU now :-))).
Peter

Sonar
05-16-2004, 07:32 AM
I have done a search in Sweden for you, but there is only ONE wrecked SVX in Sweden, and it's engine is gone !! ... :(

Sorry I can't help you Peter :(

/Sonny :cool:

Nobody
05-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Sonny, I do not want old engine because this problem I have is mechanical. I do not want to replace engine and live in risk there could be the same problem any time again. The best choice for me is to replace short block (pn 10103AA360) but this is very expensive here in Europe, price is too high. In states the price is more reasonable - 1400 USD instead of German 2600 but buying such a thing from states is getting more expensive (transport cost, custom duty, local VAT...). I will probably go to cheapest way, buy parts which are bad and need to be replaced - cost aprox. 500 USD. My mechanic said that there is no need to replace crank, just to grind it.... With such a repair engine can go another 150k with no problem, and be honest, I do not plan to own it for next 10 years.
I have to thank very much to Tonny and Kusi(Markus), both of them helped me very very much obtaining prices from their countries. Thanx a lot guys once again.
Peter

TonyShaleUK
05-17-2004, 01:08 AM
I've done a check in the UK as I said that I would. That short block was less than £500 - knocked down due to trying to get rid of them and the importer has none left - shame at that price!!

Also done a search for imported engines and second hand ones (I know this is not the route you wanted to take) but no luck I'm afraid.

Good luck - now I have mine back, I'm really enjoying it again, so hang in there!!

Nobody
05-17-2004, 02:53 AM
Tony, I am still on the road and let it repair in the begining of Sept. I will go to states for my holidyas and come back with all necessary parts in my bagage, then they will put it together, max. 2 days work. It is really shame that there are no these short blocks in the UK anymore, price was excellent :-). I tried contact Subaru UK, but no response from them, only Subaru Germany really cares about me, I appreciate their help.
Peter

TonyShaleUK
05-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi Peter,

I have just remembered that I used a company to get parts shipped direct from Japan. I got some vertical links 3 years ago - couldn't get them in the UK. Didn,t compare prices either. Company was Nippon Parts - they have a website (I found it in the UK), but don't have the address. Contact email then was nickshott@tkk.att.ne.jp - tel 0081 33904 0075.

Give them a try - they may be a better source for you (the may even be able to source that cheap short engines!)

Nobody
05-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Tony, this email address has permanent error. I found www.nippon-parts.com and send them my request. We will see.
Peter

Nobody
05-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Hey, just found out http://www.nipponautoparts.co.uk/. Is that you meant? They are located in the UK.
Peter

TonyShaleUK
05-30-2004, 12:59 AM
Sorry about the error! Have checked what I had written in my bible and it is the same as I typed. And it was 3 years ago that Iusd it!! :-)

I think that the name was Nippon Parts, but not 10% sure. I found them in a UK publication that is just for finding spares for any make of vehicle.

Good luck

Nobody
05-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Hi Tony, they recommended me Duch company www.vege.nl. I looked at their pages and it looks like interesting. I will let know.
Peter

TonyShaleUK
05-31-2004, 01:34 AM
Looks interesting!

Have dug around and found the magazine with the spares company I spoke about:

www.japimportparts.com

e-mail address was wrong - sorry - should be nickshot@tkk.att.ne.jp

Keep trying!

Tony

Nobody
06-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi Tony, just emailed with guy from Vege, they do not deal with our engines nor parts...
I will try contact you sent, shame we can not trace to whom there were sold these cheap ones...
Peter

Nobody
06-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Damn, today in the morning, I could start my car with no problem, going out for lunch in the afternoon, no way. Service checked it - bad crank sensor, another 100USD flew away....
I missed some f... words.
Peter