PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs Turbo or super charging

cdigerlando
04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
At the beginning of my turbo project I replaced my stock platinums with 1 heat range colder irridium plugs (similar to longassname's (LAN) recommendation. They worked great. Now I am going to run the Electromotive system, which has its own coils. The EM handbook only has general recommendations. High power 0.023" - high performance street 0.031". Basically the handbook says to start with stock plug gap but colder than stock. Then it is recommended to reduce the gap in the event of misfireing for high compression, high boost applications. I was also thinking of switching to a more conventional (cheeper) plug and play with them a bit.

Any opinions?

cdigerlando
09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Any new insights on this? I have seen a few things mentioned in different threads, but thought that it merrited a thread of its own.

svxfiles
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
I went with the NGK Irridiums in the #7 range, and have not had a plug issue yet.
Or a misfire.:)
8 psi on 10 to 1.

Phast SVX
09-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I am running BKR7EIX plugs gapped at .030".

Tom, You shold really gap them down, by doing so you only have power to be gained.
phil

TomsSVX
09-01-2006, 07:31 PM
I have been running me NGK iridium 7 heat range stock gap with no issues at 12.5lbs of boost

Tom

svxfiles
09-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I have been running me NGK iridium 7 heat range stock gap with no issues at 12.5lbs of boost

Tom
Yea, but I've been under pressure since 2004!:p :rolleyes:

Phast SVX
09-01-2006, 08:52 PM

Tom

..which, since is a common WRX plug, shold be gapped stock at .030"

phil

TomsSVX
09-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Well thats what Tom has got as well. Why should he gap his down??

Tom

Phast SVX
09-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Well thats what Tom has got as well. Why should he gap his down??

Tom;0
um....lol becuase i cant read?

cdigerlando
09-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the stock heat range again. It's been a long time since I have looked at this. I am 1 heat range colder with irridium plugs.

TomsSVX
09-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Stock is 6... 7 is for a turbo/sc. I even had 8's in my car for the nitrous:eek:

Tom

cdigerlando
09-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks Tom. I'm running the same plugs you are. I'm still having trouble with heat, even with the lower temp thermostat. Car seems to run well with the heater on. Not too much fun in Florida. It pisses me off, because in the entire time I have owned the car I've never had trouble with heat. I would like to go to the aluminum radiator, but I would really like to resolve the heat issues with the stock radiator first. Don't want to bandaid this problem with a big radiator.

Thanks

TomsSVX
09-05-2006, 07:49 PM
well what are your heat issues?? not to scare you but with most SVXi getting up there in mileage around the 150-200k mark we are seeing more and more headgaskets decide they don't like to seal anymore. So I wouldn't be so surprised that this could be causing your issues. Also, you might want to pick up a temp sensor and monitor your EGT's if you are not already.

Tom

cdigerlando
09-05-2006, 08:34 PM
well what are your heat issues?? not to scare you but with most SVXi getting up there in mileage around the 150-200k mark we are seeing more and more headgaskets decide they don't like to seal anymore. So I wouldn't be so surprised that this could be causing your issues. Also, you might want to pick up a temp sensor and monitor your EGT's if you are not already.

Tom

That was my thought Tom. I'm looking into copper head gaskets. I am monitoring EGTs. They are fantastic. Usually around 400-450 C at idle. I have a block tester, which showed some fuel in my coolant a while back. I changed my coolant, tightend down on my heater hose. No more leaking but the temp goes up to 107C in the heat of the day with the AC. It will drop right back down with the heater turned on. I'll probably try the block tester again tomorrow. If I have fuel in my coolant, I'll go ahead and get the gaskets.