PDA

View Full Version : I solved Driver Seat Belt Problem! Of one kind anyways

zavikan
04-01-2004, 04:06 PM
OK! some people had a problem involving ignition. for those people, go away, this won't help you :D

Now, This problem is that, the seat belt works normally, until at one point, you shut the door, and the seatbelt does not come back. There is no point trying again, because once it stays forward, nothing will bring it back except for manually cranking it back. and then it might work again for a whole day. or maybe two or three. then its stuck forward, and you need to crank it, and then a few more days. maybe only an hour. YOU NEVER KNOW.

Anyways, I SOLVED IT!!! :D

Open up the rear limit switch, drivers side. its held together with 2 E clips, and two little specialty screws that you have to either cut off, or unscrew with plyers or something(I used a jewelers screwdriver, and pushed the little slots until it was out far enough to grap with plyers). once your in, everything is going to explode, because there are springs in there. DON'T PANIC!

Once inside, you will see two little switchs at the bottom, one big plastic rocker arm, that will activate the lower switch, and the top one has 4 pieces, which exploded everywhere when you took out that last E clip. I spent maybe half an hour figuring how these four parts are supposed to activate this switch. and I found that the OEM placement of the spring, was a poor design. if the latch were slightly over extended, the spring would pop off, and there for not activate the switch. and COULDN'T activate the switch until it was poped back in place (By manually cranking the seatbelt back). so, I placed the spring BEHIND the original slot made for it, so that it still put tension on it, and didn't EVER pop out.

I'm running on over a month with no seatbelt problems now :D

If any one else had this problem, and wants me to clarify, tell me.

No, no pictures, cause I am not going thru all that again just to take pictures. Hearing all those parts explode around the inside of the plastic box when I pulled the E clip pin was sickening....but it wasn't to bad :D

Have fun!

zavikan
04-01-2004, 09:31 PM
oh come on. I was so excited I would be able to post something helpful. you guys sayin no one else had this problem? dangit... well at least I still solved it, even if no one else had the same problem :D

ensteele
04-01-2004, 11:55 PM
I will check out mine and see if that is what is wrong. Mine has quit working all together. Now just stays in the forward position. :( Thanks and I will let you know what I find out. :)

96svxer
04-06-2004, 07:52 AM
good job. Yeah I had to take apart that switch assambly too. I think I have pics in my locker. I had to replace both micro-switches in there. I was lucky enough to prevent the "exploding switch" by taking it apart carefully, but I know what you mean, it's a time bomb with all those springs.:D
Ensteel I would venture to bet one of your switches is gone bad, reset seatbelts manually and I bet it will work again....for a while at least