PDA

View Full Version : New Subaru SVX?

svxistentialist
03-27-2001, 03:04 PM
Have a look at this show site. The station wagon looks interesting, the Alpha-Exiga. It seems to be described as a "near-future" model, so is possibly in development.

It's fitted with the flat six new 3 litre engine, and appears very low slung next to the model [unless she is 6'6"] Could this be the future for our SVX? Looks kinda cute.

http://teleparc.com/tms/hall/west/fuji-p/fuji-p-e.htm
Joe

svxter
03-27-2001, 03:14 PM
Cool, but what inquiring minds want to know is:

What's the Alcyone SVX S4-II? There's no picture. Frustrating - they have LOTS of models listed, but no pictures or specs. :(

svxxx26
03-27-2001, 03:35 PM
I couldn't get the site to come up, but the URL looks real familiar to me. I think that this is a fairly old site. One can hope, but I think Subaru has gone on to other things.

On a more positive note, Car & Driver is reporting that Subaru will bring over the Impreza WRX STi as a 2003 model. It's in the latest issue, with the red Porsche on the cover (OK, I'm too lazy to check for the date - besides, the cat is settled on my lap) :rolleyes:

svxter
03-27-2001, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing too. I remember the flurry of excitement on Yahoo, when possibly this URL was posted there. If I weren't so lazy, I guess I could try the searchable Yahoo message database. Besides, I have to get back into class in a few minutes. Don't have a cat handy. :)

suby_qa
03-27-2001, 08:08 PM
The 2 door cabroilet Impreza is supposed to come to the US within the next couple of years, so I don't think it is that old.

The wagon with the H-6 is, I think the next generation Legacy.

I still stand by what I hear coming from connections in SOA, the next SVX will be the 2-door Impreza.

SVXpowerman
03-27-2001, 09:10 PM
I second that notion.

All my buddies here at the local Suby shop say the same thing.

One of my buddies gave me a call when the Regional Suby Service Rep showed up in a WRX Impreza. So I finally had a chance to see one in person.

Of course he asked me when I was going to trade in the SVX for one. And I said "NEVER!"

If the 2003 SVX does come here I absolutely will buy one to sit side by side next to the original.

svxistentialist
03-28-2001, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by suby_qa
The 2 door cabroilet Impreza is supposed to come to the US within the next couple of years, so I don't think it is that old.

The wagon with the H-6 is, I think the next generation Legacy.

I still stand by what I hear coming from connections in SOA, the next SVX will be the 2-door Impreza.

I can see sense in the next generation Legacy bit, but I disagreed before on the idea of badging a 2 door Impreza as an SVX, this will not happen.
There is a major difference in concept in a car that was designed from the drawing board stage as a GT Coupe, and a souped up 2 door rally car. This is not to run down WRX cars, they are magic motors, but they're no GTs.
Another possibility is unless there is a major change in the market, Subaru will be reluctant to do another SVX. Think about it. They were slow sellers, except in the first couple of years. They only retain a fraction of their cost, not to mention their real worth, second-hand, and they are complex to the point of being daunting to own or service.
If another SVX comes along, it will be from a design exercise and/or a studio like Giugiaro, it will have the 3 litre H6, possibly with forced induction, and will be a much easier servicing proposition for owners. This is my guess, but I don't have a crystal ball. Fuji will respond to marketing feeback and potential demand from the States, the biggest market, but there are world wide considerations to be factored in also.

svxxx26
03-28-2001, 06:38 AM
The May 2001 Car & Driver is reporting that Subaru will begin marketing the Impreza WRX STi as a 2003 model, for a reported $30,000.
In light of this, which confirms Subaru's intent on focusing it's performance image as a rally car, I don't see a 2003 SVX happening.
As I have voiced before, the closest thing may be something based on a Legacy - sort of a upper-end GT with the H-6. I have not heard/read anything about a vehicle like this.

BradT
03-28-2001, 09:59 AM
FYI, the Alpha-Exiga and Impreza Operetta were concept cars first shown a fair number of years ago. However ....

According to a recent press release, "Subaru, the pioneer of the all-wheel-drive wagons is expected to introduce an all-new "wagon" model at [the 2001 New York International Automobile Show]." We'll see -- the show is next month. Could be simply a new trim level for the Legacy/Outback, a preview of the redesigned Forester or possibly a preview of the upcoming GM/Subaru sport wagon announced last week. Subaru also has a sport pickup coming up.

On the same subject, Subaru has recently registered the following trademarks (presumably vehicle model names): Overture, Backpack, Bandero, Baja, Adirondack, Boulder, and .... Brat!

(Of course, as was pointed out way back when, Subaru also re-registed SVX. Hmm.)

--Brad

LarryIII
03-28-2001, 10:11 AM
If you want some inkling as to what the "next" SVX will be like, go to the folder in my briefcase, under my profile, on the Yahoo SVX club site.

Larry III

svxistentialist
03-28-2001, 05:26 PM
Visionary, Larry, must admit if a new SVX is coming, it would make sense to move the game upmarket.
Not sure about the H8, they should be able to extract "enough" power [another oxymoron] from a forced induction 3 litre or 3.3 litre flat 6 without going to the expense of tooling up for a new engine design.

Also, I would expect them to move in the "greener" direction, after all they are currently pulling very usable horsepower, and torque, from 2 litre and 2.2 litre engines. The move to smaller capacity with the current H6 underlines this trend for smaller and more efficient.
Build would be lighter, big use of aluminium suspension components a la BMW, and more use of aluminium, possibly composite panels as you suggest.

They will not use fake carbon fibre dashboard panels, this is like ballet shoes on an elephant. You want a stripped out racer, buy a Lotus Elise. In racing, everything is sacrificed to lose weight and gain horsepower. In a GT car, there are no sacrifices. You cannot tour in the Grande fashion, and make sacrifices or compromises. It may be a year or two before we see one, even as a design exercise or taster. Witness the interest in the WRX. Selling cars is a business. Give the punter what he wants, it's a win win situation. I will be minding my car. It could be a long wait.
Joe

SVXphile
03-28-2001, 08:06 PM
Do my eyes deceive me, or did I see an Impreza CONVERTIBLE on the stand? WRX perhaps?
If the station wagon has styling clues of the new SVX, it should be a stunner! :) Don

svxxx26
03-28-2001, 08:16 PM
Don, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the show with the Impreza convertible is a few years old.
Not to say it couldn't happen, of course!
Also, I still don't think Subaru will bring back the SVX any ways soon - why, that would be as probable as finding giant roots on Mars! ;)

SVXphile
03-28-2001, 08:20 PM
I asked my dealer when the new 6 was going to be available in the Legacy GT....he said he had heard nothing along that line....hummm.....call a car a GT and you don't even have your best engine in it? Perhaps he is just dense.....he sells Kia's too, and didn't have a clue about the Spectra K....I refered him to Kia's own website....duhhhhhh!.....Maybe the next SVX will be a reskined H-6 Legacy? Other car companies have placed famous names on lesser cars before....

cxt2001
03-28-2001, 08:23 PM
Someone plz reply on what svxter asked. Does anyone know if this thing really exists? Or have any pics to share?

Thanks
Chris

SVXphile
03-28-2001, 08:25 PM
Jerry, by the time I figure this place out, WRX's will be museum pieces....how come when I click on one icon, it goes at the end of the message, and when I click on another, it goes in the heading? I wish that Michelin guide would arrive...

svxxx26
03-28-2001, 08:42 PM
<<.how come when I click on one icon, it goes at the end of the message, and when I click on another, it goes in the heading?>>

If I understand the question (which in itself would be a great leap), here is the explanation:

When you click on the TOPIC or TITLE of a particular thread, you will be taken to the first message of that thread.
If you click on the NAME of the last person to post on a thread, you will be taken to that persons post.

SVXphile
03-29-2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by svxxx26
Don, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the show with the Impreza convertible is a few years old.
Not to say it couldn't happen, of course!
Also, I still don't think Subaru will bring back the SVX any ways soon - why, that would be as probable as finding giant roots on Mars! ;)

Which reminds me......your presence is requested on Shotskytalk!:)

Rev Hard
03-29-2001, 02:42 PM
nope sorry cant help..... ;)

PAUL!

BradT
04-03-2001, 09:24 AM
For you kids that didn't catch it on SVX Site B:

www.iwoc.co.uk/newage.html

I'd say the text is of more interest than the generi-image.

--Brad

Aredubjay
04-03-2001, 09:32 AM
Kinda looks like an Audi TT with a "boner." :D

svxxx26
04-03-2001, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Kinda looks like t Audi TT with a "boner." :D

Hehe . . . so much for the "family" site, eh Aredub? :rolleyes:

Aredubjay
04-03-2001, 11:53 AM
What . . . what? :D

svxistentialist
04-03-2001, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Kinda looks like an Audi TT with a "boner." :D

Maybe that's what they intended, since they called it a Pulser.

"True " coupes generally give you much less space for a lot more money. The trade-off is you are getting a stylish motor. This CG image seems to fit the bill admirably. Using the H6 3 litre is what I predicted, but I must confess I would prefer a blower over a turbo or twin turbo set-up for linearity of response and lower underhood temperatures.

Subaru may of course wish to capitalise on their rally experience with turbos, who could blame them? The better set-ups, such as the Mazda RX7 twin sequential systems are absolutely brilliant [y'all know that car was designed in California?], and some modern diesel turbos have variable vane technology for extra torque at lower revs, which are also the dog's b*****. If you've guessed from this that I like an engine to pump out loads of shove at low revs, then you're right. If you need to rev the nuts off your engine to get horsepower, go racing or buy a motorbike. This is bad behaviour for a public highway.

Joe

LarryIII
04-04-2001, 07:28 AM
Joe,

<<<If you've guessed from this that I like an engine to pump out loads of shove at low revs, then you're right.>>>

You are so right. In the old days we used to say "There's no substitute for cubic inches." Modern technology has changed that somewhat. But "oomph off the line" still brings a smile to my lips, and puts a twinkle in my eyes.

Larry III

Aredubjay
04-04-2001, 08:35 AM
<<Maybe that's what they intended, since they called it a Pulser.>>

I can see it now, at the local Saturday night races: Pulser vs Probe! :D

jscorse
04-04-2001, 09:51 AM
<<There's no substitute for cubic inches." >>

I think someone else said it better.

"There ain't no replacement for displacement"

svxistentialist
04-04-2001, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by LarryIII
Joe,

But "oomph off the line" still brings a smile to my lips, and puts a twinkle in my eyes.

Larry III

Agreed, Larry. The word "pumping" is the operative one here. Larger displacement engines flow more gas at low revs, hence more oxygen through, more energy released, so the engine delivers more torque from rest. This same advantage means they are also flowing a lot of fuel at tickover and in stop-start traffic, so we get the bad consumption figures a heavy car like the SVX displays.

Better ease up on the emotive language here, don't want to give Randy any more pun fodder, his mis-spent DJ youth is starting to come to the fore, now he's without his car for so long.

Joe

Aredubjay
04-04-2001, 11:38 AM
<<Better ease up on the emotive language here, don't want to give Randy any more pun fodder, his mis-spent DJ youth is starting to come to the fore, now he's without his car for so long. >>

Joe. I'm surprised at you. Why would you think such things <blood dripping from the corners of mouth from tongue biting, trying to avoid comment on the word "Pumping."> :D

svxxx26
04-04-2001, 11:44 AM
Allright, the topic is: "Bore and Stroke".

Discuss amongst yourselves!

Aredubjay
04-04-2001, 11:53 AM
I ain't gonna "touch" that one. :D

svxistentialist
04-04-2001, 12:36 PM

Nice topic, Jerry, and you should know better with Aredubjay biting his tongue in the wings!!

I will presume Bore and Stroke are engineering terms when discussed here, and are nouns, not verbs.

Also, to follow on Jeff's line, "No replacement for displacement", we can discuss the relative merits of swept volume. Or go with the old feminist truism, size matters.

However, as we are dealing with SVX owners and drivers here {category #1 for Randy}, we would be preaching to the converted, or the perverted as the case may be.

Joe

svxter
04-04-2001, 12:51 PM

Discuss amongst yourselves!

Troublemaker :)

LarryIII
04-04-2001, 12:57 PM
No wonder not many of the female SVXers use this site.

Larry III

svxistentialist
04-04-2001, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by svxter

Troublemaker :)

Deep :)

Joe

Chris
04-04-2001, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by LarryIII
No wonder not many of the female SVXers use this site.

Larry III

How many are there anyways? I only know of two.

Chris

eddycat2000
04-04-2001, 05:21 PM
<<How many are there anyways? I only know of two.>>

I only know of two, Amypoo and Marissa. Amypoo and I may be in the chat room this evening, if anyone is interested.

However, be wary when replying to Marissa, sometimes it's Ray dressed in kozypups clothes. <G>

svxxx26
04-04-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by svxistentialist

I will presume Bore and Stroke are engineering terms when discussed here, and are nouns, not verbs.

Joe

I can't imagine what else those terms could refer to - and of course they are nouns! Oh wait - you don't think that I meant . . . WHY YOU SLY DOG, YOU!!! ;) ;) ;)