PDA

View Full Version : D-Day has come 5-spd Swap starts this weekend.

astralbody
03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi everybody

It is time, I have missed my SVX to long now.
Plus give me some strength as my dad is "helping"me, he just wants me to fix the auto and sell the car!!!!!!!
I argue about this with him but he is coming around when I talk about the cost I could do this for vs. fixing the auto.
So far it looks like I can do this swap for about $900
The costly parts are the small car kit and the elusive high performance Clutch. Would love a lightened flywheel but $$$ is an issue right now.

I will probably fix the auto as parts come around and sell it later.

I will be gathering some parts and prepping the car for the swap.
I have a few Q's though.

I will be getting a tranny from a 93 Legacy wagon AWD
I know the parts I need, but what of the clutch.
I cannot find any High performance clutches for that year.
If anybody has a resource for me I would love you.
I'm choosing this year cause I can get the parts for a total of 100 bucks roughly, miles on tranny are 23k car is a fine specimen.
I just wonder about the clutch, this may be a stupid Q but
are the flywheels exchangable so I have more options with clutches, I only ask caause it seems Subaru has used the same Trannys for their cars until recently.

I think I have the crossmember design in my head, won't know until I'm under there getting dirty :)

The pedals I have a good grasp on.... :rolleyes:
I hope its true the legacy pedals are the best choice for less modification. :)

The rear diff I will get done at a shop, that a friend works at.

The clutch is my main concern.

I will be sure to keep everyone informed on this swap.
Am I the first girl to do this hands on by the way? ;)
I'll be sure to take pics and keep the entertainnment level up :D

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
I promise to make the next Reading meet. :)
I'll be under the car while you all are out there, :(
And all you 5 spd SVXi out there here comes another one....

GreenMarine
03-19-2004, 06:15 PM
good on ya girlie!!! :):D as far as the clutch issue... Look for a clutch from an impreza 5 mt... the clutches should all be roughly the same as long as it is a "push type"... Talk to Huck369 for more info on the clutch...

Green1995SVX
03-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Spec makes a clutch for your application. Their website is http://www.specclutch.com/

I recommend the Stage 2. This is what I have and it is perfect.

Mike

astralbody
03-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi

Mike that helps a lot... XOXO

I wasn't sure if I could cross exchange the flywheels and clutchs between the impreza and legacy and with newer years.

Huck? you out there...:)

Hey Marine how you doin :D

wawazat??
03-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
the clutches should all be roughly the same as long as it is a "push type"... Talk to Huck369 for more info on the clutch...

Victoria,

Is your transmission a hydraulic or a cable-release style? If it's hydraulic, Chris is making sense. If it's not, well, he's just being Chris:D

Todd

astralbody
03-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi Todd

It is a cable clutch setup...
unless I can find one out in the junkyard that is hydraulic.
:)

Subafreak
03-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Acctually the question should be is it a Turbo or N/A Legacy tranny. Seeming she didn't say Turbo Legacy I assume it's an N/A tranny so it's a push type. And in witch case I would like to know of a good N/A clutch that can hold well but dosn't mind being slipped. My less than 3 month old clutch in my Loyal is allready slipping.:(

astralbody
03-19-2004, 08:28 PM
The tranny is a N/A not a turbo Legacy

svxhunter
03-20-2004, 05:26 AM
Victoria:

Looks like we're in it together. My tranny went this week, and I am now also starting a 5-spd swap.

We could work on them together, but there is a long way between MN and GA.

You probably have a few more parts available. There aren't very many Subarus in the deep South. Every time I order parts, the parts store usually looks up "Suburban". I have called every junkyard within 2 hours from here- most can't even pronounce Subaru, no less have one. When I asked my NAPA dealer for a transmission filter, he asked me what transmission it had. I told him they were all the same. He said no, there was the TH 350, the 700 R4.....

I've already got my tranny- a 2001 Imprezza 2.5 RS with the 4:11 final drive. Had to ship it from CA. I'll probably spend more time looking for things like pedal assemblies than actually working on the car.

Are you using the smallcar.com kit? What are you doing for a crossmember?

The next 2 weekends are devoted to my SVX racer- the race is coming up. After that, the daily driver gets a boost!

Good luck!! :) ;)

-P^uL

mark10t
03-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Good Luck on your project, Victoria.

As stated, be careful about what clutch parts you've got vs. what you'll need. I had a '91 Legacy Turbo Sport Sedan and re-did the clutch in it (once). They have a hydraulic clutch (vs. cable for the N/A) and, as mentioned, they have a 'push' type clutch that is way different from the N/A models.

When you first mentioned that your Dad wanted you to sell the SVX, I thought it would be stupid to do the 5-sp. conversion if you're going to 'sell', but then you reminded me that you had a 'bad' AT, so making the swap makes some sense- if you can do it yourself (and a MT is what you really want). Personally, I like the 4EAT (even though I've had a bunch of MT's over the years.)

Point out to your Dad that, as long as you have the capability to do your own work on the SVX, you'll never find another vehicle with the luxury, performance, and beauty of the SVX at anywhere near the same overall price/cost. (even factoring in the maintenance costs.)

Holler if you need some help.

-Mark

astralbody
03-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Hi

sucky about the lack of being able to find parts... :(
Auto store don't know much, I usually find I have to hand hold them. They don't like being hand held by a chick either :D

Nice pick for the tranny swap, I would have loved an Impreza/ WRX manual...oh well..$$

I will be using the small car kit, or atleast parts of it. After what I heard about the instructions, Hucks instructions are a god send.
The crossmember will be a cross between Subafreak and Alex_umn, they used a round steel, like in roll cages for the design of the crossmember, they have a thread about it now,
do a search for crossmember and you'll see it. :)

good luck in the race!! :)

Glad to see that there are more and more 5spds being born!

Noir
03-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by astralbody
They don't like being hand held by a chick either :D

so when are you going to hand hold me and help me make a 5-speed baby? :D it could be an impreza manual :D.

just kidding :D.

good luck though :D. take lots of pictures and video's :D

harry(feeling like a rabbit)

astralbody
03-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi all

Thanks for the info Mark

Hey Harry - If I was in GA I would help!!! :)

I will be taaking pics as I move along!!
this weekend I'm unable to work on the car...going out of town.. :( rather work on the SVX :D so this sets me back....

I must find a way to get it done before Reading.... :rolleyes:

getting the stuff together...slowly but surely :)

svxhunter
03-22-2004, 09:24 PM
I'd loan you a car for Reading, but the only SVX I have that runs is our homeschool racer. Very cool and very fast, but no where close to road legal!!:D

Guess I can't make Reading- but I WILL be in Gainesville the weekend before. We're having very good feelings about our prospects at the race!!:D :D :D

-P^uL

Noir
03-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by svxhunter
I'd loan you a car for Reading, but the only SVX I have that runs is our homeschool racer. Very cool and very fast, but no where close to road legal!!:D

Guess I can't make Reading- but I WILL be in Gainesville the weekend before. We're having very good feelings about our prospects at the race!!:D :D :D

-P^uL

Bring home the gold Paul! :D

GreenMarine
03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I'll try to make it to that Paul... I need to get the specifics though and where and when it will be... I would love to be there to video... :D:D:D Let me know!!!

Hey Marine how you doin :D

Hey ya little bunny rabbit :D:D doing good, just got my suspension on this past weekend... (see other thread in the Mod section) :D:cool:

astralbody
03-23-2004, 02:06 PM
He's doing great :)

How is the suspension? I still have not invested much time or thought into the suspension yet, I barely remember how the car feels on the road.... :)

Suspension mods are later in the year....

YES bring home the gold Paul!!!!!!!!!!

GreenMarine
03-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Too bad you're not going to Reading... I'd take ya for a blast around the country roads out there then you'd beable to tell how the Suspension is :):)... I challenge any SVX.... Or any car for that matter to try and keep up on a windey road... That is where you'll see the true beeauty of the suspension, in Weight transfers (switch back turns.... (ie. Left right left right really quick))

:D:D:D:D

astralbody
03-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi Chris

You never know...maybe I'll get lucky and get my butt out to Reading.. :D like ta meet ya along with everyone else.

I read your thread about the suspension....sounds exactly what Iam looking for.... I'll have to get one this summer :)

later hon

GreenMarine
03-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Cool, it'll be good to see ya out there :D:D:D

svxsubaru1
03-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Spec makes a clutch for your application. Their website is http://www.specclutch.com/

I recommend the Stage 2. This is what I have and it is perfect.

Mike

Yeah I have had a spec stage 2 on my 5spd SVX and it feels great, you can slip it, but it hold the power, and the presure plate dosent make the pedal to hard to press.

svxhunter
04-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Victoria:

How's progress? The race is over, and I'm getting started. I'll be under the car this weekend!!

-Paul

astralbody
04-09-2004, 01:51 PM
I will be looking at Alex's car tomorrow.

I havent been able to start....its a sad thing.
This weekend if I buy Alex's old setup I will be starting on Easter
hehe rebirth of my car...bad humor

I will let everyone know, I have been soooo busy lately.

need to figure on about the xmember....need get under the car
then I will know more

good luck to you Paul :)

ps if you can get the cropped tees like the example given in the thread or something like it I'm down for 2.

svxhunter
04-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Got it on the tees.

Are you doing a 5-spd so you can sell it? That is a lot of effort. The SVX auto is very expensive, but someone just did a Legacy (I think) auto into an SVX with minimal pain. It's not as strong, but it's more reasonably priced.

I'd rather see you do the 5 spd and enjoy it, but if you're going to sell there is another option.

-P

astralbody
04-09-2004, 02:09 PM
heck no I'm keepin it....to enjoy :)
about that was my dad told me to just sell the car than go through all that work...I have since corrected his thought about it... :D

mark10t
04-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Victoria-

Whereabouts are you located? (You can PM me)

Business has been slow, so I've been helping a friend with his luggage delivery service from the airport (when the airlines lose or delay your luggage- they deliver it to your home, business or hotel). I get all over town with that, and I'll be working on Easter Sunday.

I'd like to see your progress on the 5-speed project.

Good Luck in the 'transformation'.

-Mark

astralbody
04-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Mark

I'm located in uptown

I will be working on the car in burnsville at my dads house.
I will let you know when I'm tearing the car apart so that
you can visit if you want and checkout the progress.

astralbody
04-25-2004, 10:48 PM
My swap has begun...
well sat. any way....

I have a few picks from sunday, I'll post em tomorrow when I get the chance, I'll be doing the swap allday like today :D
pedals are done.. woohooooooo! :D not so hard ;)

the auto is still in it, but not come tomorrow. :)
I should be done this coming weekend!

Ordering my clutch tomorrow also.

parts are from a 90 legacy wagon with get this....37,000 miles.
insane.

pic will be in my locker
sometime soon :)

Chiketkd
04-25-2004, 10:54 PM
That's awesome progress. It'll be nice if you're all done by next weekend! You'll be 5-spding this summer!!!! :)

-Chike

svxhunter
04-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Are you using a cable driven clutch, or hydraulic?

astralbody
04-26-2004, 07:36 PM
hey

I'm using a cable clutch. :)
have to get back to it...transmission getting out now!

:D

svxhunter
04-26-2004, 07:54 PM
I think that may have been smart- when you said the pedals were not so hard, I figured you must be using a cable type. Either that or I'm an idiot.:eek: The hydraulic type is a bugger.

Good luck!!

-P

astralbody
04-26-2004, 08:49 PM
I bet

I used the svx pedal assy. and took out the pedals from the legacy, put them on the svx assy welded a few parts and woohoo
pefect pedals... :) even the correct distance away from the firewall
instaed so close if I would have used the legacy assy.

hope yours is going well!!!!!

astralbody
04-27-2004, 12:31 AM
I have pics in my locker now....

no my interior is not discolored...shadows.
my car is dirty...well I promise to clean her when I go for my
first 5 SPD test drive....:D

astralbody
04-27-2004, 12:32 AM
more soon!

svxhunter
04-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Your pics show that you are moving right along. That cable clutch saved you a lot of effort. The hydraulic one virtually requires removal of the steering column, all related wiring, ECU, etc., the brake booster (plus a lot of stuff in the engine bay to get it out), and relocating of the main wiring harness connecting under the dash to the engine bay.:(

I saw no other options.

That's OK, I'll enjoy it when it's complete!:)

-P

astralbody
04-27-2004, 08:41 AM
yeah I just didn't want to deal with the hydraulic clutch. :)

CigarJohnny
05-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Just checked out your pics. Looks like you are coming along quite nicely. I really was hoping to see what you've done with the pedals. If I understand correctly, you adapted the Legacy pedals to the SVX pedal mounts. Was hoping to see a picture of them before you installed them but it appears you have none. :( My sketchy memory tells me that you are maybe the first one to do this as every other 5-speed install I have read of ended up using the legacy pedals and the mounts and had quite a knuckle busting time doing so. When the day comes for my 5-speed swap, the pedals are the whole part I dread the most. If you can, give a breakdown in time spent on given areas. It will help those who are planning on a swap like this in the future.

I drove Mike's (green1995SVX) 5-speed at the Reading Meet and what a friggin' blast! I am very excited for you!

Johnny
I bet

I used the svx pedal assy. and took out the pedals from the legacy, put them on the svx assy welded a few parts and woohoo
pefect pedals... :) even the correct distance away from the firewall
instaed so close if I would have used the legacy assy.

hope yours is going well!!!!!

mohrds
05-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
If I understand correctly, you adapted the Legacy pedals to the SVX pedal mounts. Was hoping to see a picture of them before you installed them but it appears you have none. :( My sketchy memory tells me that you are maybe the first one to do this as every other 5-speed install I have read of ended up using the legacy pedals and the mounts and had quite a knuckle busting time doing so.

Johnny

My pedals are an SVX frame and the Legacy guts.

I started out by cutting the welds on the Legacy pedal to get everything apart, then I used a UniBit to enlarg the pivot hole in the SVX assembly, installed and marked everything, took it apart and welded the brackets on. The hardest part was extending the clutch master cylinder bracket so it went all the way to the firewall.

I still have it out of the car if you want pics.

Doug

CigarJohnny
05-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by mohrds

My pedals are an SVX frame and the Legacy guts.

I started out by cutting the welds on the Legacy pedal to get everything apart, then I used a UniBit to enlarg the pivot hole in the SVX assembly, installed and marked everything, took it apart and welded the brackets on. The hardest part was extending the clutch master cylinder bracket so it went all the way to the firewall.

I still have it out of the car if you want pics.

Doug I'd love pics if you could provide some. Thanks!

Johnny

astralbody
05-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi

yes I used the SVX assy and put the legacy guts on it.
I will have pics tonight.
I will be finished on wed.
waiting on clutch and diff. switch.
more pics tonight :D

astralbody
05-04-2004, 11:26 PM
hello again everyone!

I have new pics up in my locker
I will be done tomorrow :D :D :D :) yeaaaaaa

I got bored one day and decided to move the spoiler back
about 2" to the edge of the trunk lid.
very Lotus like...its so pretty :)

I hvae to put the transmission in and driveshaft then
attach the clutch cable, adjust and put the rest back together.

then figure out what to do with that evil exhaust...:)

then after 10 months drive her once more... :D
check everything
then wash her...that will be easy :)

Subafreak
05-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Hmm, I put the Legacy pedals in the SVX cage and then desided it was the wrong way to do it.:( Maybe it was just the way I did it.:confused: Anyway I plan on redoing them the old fashion way, just bolting the pedals up.

BTW: I like your X-member.;) But have you actually fitted it yet?

astralbody
05-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Hi

We tack welded it to the car while it was bolted in.
Then finished welded, put it back in the car, weld more, back in, welded...etc until done. :D

I like the pedals using the SVX assy, the pedals are farther out and more SVX correct if ya know what I mean
seems more Feng Shei... :)

Not done yet :(
Having clutch engagement problems....wondering if the flywheel I got was from a Turbo, since the release bearing just touches barely touches the clutch cover springs, I'll have to go get the other one today... :(

Gosh I am soooooooooo sore.
11 days straight of the swap, bruised,cut,determined.

astralbody
05-09-2004, 02:30 PM
here is some sad news....

After all the work I have done.

The 5 speed has lost all forward shifting sychros, i.e. 1st,3rd,5th.
now I will have to decide on a rebuild or replace.
Does anyone know if a rebuild can be done at home?

after all the work I got to drive it for only 1 day......at least it was a nice day.

this car is cursed...

:(

HighwayUFO
05-09-2004, 02:58 PM
That really bites. I hope the rest of the tranny will work with you instead of against. Get 'er done and get to reno to show her off. I'll be looking forward to how well the rest of the swap goes. Good luck and "Happy Rebuilding":rolleyes:

svxhunter
05-09-2004, 04:15 PM
OOOOH NOOOO- Say it isn't so!!

I'm sorry to hear about this, Victoria.

I was real proud of you getting done. I've made almost no progress.

Good Luck!!

-Paul

mark10t
05-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I am so sorry for you, Victoria. I know the heartache of such a project.

Have you and your Dad decided anything about the 4EAT yet? (I know you've got 'bigger fish to fry' right now. Let me know as soon as you can. I'd like to get my Turbo Wagon running right again, too.

-Mark

CigarJohnny
05-09-2004, 07:37 PM
What horrible, news, Victoria! Keep yer chin up if possible. I can only imagine how discouraged you must be after all that hard work. At least swapping the tranny for another 5-speed will be a piece of cake now that you have all the hard work done. It should not be that hard to rebuild a manual tranny, but it may be cheaper and quicker to just buy another used one and hope for the best with it.

Johnny

astralbody
05-10-2004, 11:31 AM
thanks all...

right now I just need a break from the car... :)
I will look around though and see if I can find another transmission around, just to get this done.

mark pm'd you

Subafreak
05-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Sorry to hear about that, but like Johnny said most of the hard work is done.;) Just wondering thoe, what exactly happend to the tranny (what did it do, any noises?)

astralbody
05-10-2004, 08:05 PM
onb my first drive there was a clanking noise...(like a wrench in the tranny) :) thought it was the driveshaft..all turned out to be good though.

So I drove it for the day to see, it cleared up, then sunday morn.
the syncros died.

The tranny overall was noisier than normal.
I'm going to just take iot apart and get the parts I need then replace the bad parts check everything then put it back in the car.
buy another tranny for a spare later and build it up...
thinking hardened gears and parts for the spare.
just want to get back on the road.

the car kicks $#$# with the 5spd 4.11 gears make acceleration
insane.

clutch is beautiful, Spec stage 2 kevlar.

hopefully this coming weekend I will be back in the car enjoying it the way it should have been built. :)

CigarJohnny
05-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Good for you! :)

Subafreak
05-12-2004, 06:36 PM
When the mear main shaft bearing went in my Legacy it would slip out of 5th for awile, then it made really bad noises one night and the next morning it would shift into and stay in 5th gear. The next day on the way to work it suddenly wouldn't stay in 5th anymore, then I lost 3rd, then 2nd. I barly made it to work:eek:

When I took it apart I found out that it had spun the main shaft bearing and destroyed the case:(

I hope your's is not lost too but just giving you a heads up.

alex_umn
05-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey Victoria; this all sucks!

I noticed on car-part.com that http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/ has a cheapish cable clutch five speed from a 92 Legacy. Maybe you could use that?

Good luck!

astralbody
05-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi all

Thanks Alex.. I saw that one was thinking of getting it. :)

I opened the transmission today and found that the gears are in perfect order, syncros perfect also...IMHO The transmission looks as though it is new...

but the shift rods for 1st 3rd 5th were jammed from bits of gear.
all the running gears are perfect.
but the tail end of the transmission is kinda funky, inside are bearings, they are good, but the gear in there has to be the eaten one..the rest are fine....
I hope this makes sense, if you have opened up a 5spd,
you know what I mean, if you take the top plate off you can see a round thingy in there has to be the problem.
everything is covered with metal shards and will be cleaned as everything else is like new, need to find the specific gear that is dead and replace. put it back together and go driving :D

thats the situation as of now, I know more later :)

astralbody
05-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi all!

Its my last update..... :)

I will be adding pics of my shifter boot and new air cleaner plumbing today.

I have repaired the transmission, not really sure what was wrong with it besides the chunks of metal in there jamming things up....:rolleyes: but I cleaned the #$%#$% out of it.
checked everything 20 times, I now know the transmission better than the car. put it back together threw it in the car, and the transmission is like new, quiet, beautiful downshifts, kick $%# up shifts, smooth as budda. :)

now after sriving it for the weekend I find 1st and 2nd wind out FAST.
The car is a screamer, I absosmurfly love it!!

little adjustments here and there but it is better than ever, I find myself truly detesting the auto more and more. :)

My shifter boot is clean and factory looking...just need to find what I want (Porsche 968/911/944 late style one piece knob and boot) in sand color, then I'll be happy :)
Air cleaner plumbing was from a suby legacy air intake hose setup from juck yard... :) "all oem then ;) "
on a side note my cruise doesn't work now, all the connections were made, I used the top legacy clutch switch "closed circuit when pedal depressed" car will start only with clutch depressed,
fuse is good, NSS is connected to the same wires for the clutch switch, vacuum hoses are connected..... ????

later all!!!!

mohrds
05-17-2004, 10:57 AM
The car is a screamer, I absosmurfly love it!!

Oh My Gosh! I thought I was the only person left in the world that uses smurf language.

Doug

Warren C
05-17-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm a newbie to SVX world with a bunch of questions...please bear with me.

I have a 92 SVX, slightly wrecked in front, and have most parts to put it back together.... and was recently offered another one with a dead tranny. Hoping to put the two together for one good car.

I have also recently purchased the engine and tranny from a wrecked Impreza 2.5RS and could get the rest of the parts to put the Impreza 5 spd into the SVX.

I got the all the pedals and the clutch master cylinder but I didn't get the rear diff yet...which I know is needed....

What gearset is in a 2002 Impreza.

Anything else needed? I need a list quickly.....since the rest of the Impreza carcass will probably disappear soon.

I also have a manual tranny 92 Legacy I could part out with a good tranny....recently sent one to the crusher after harvesting the engine.....duuuuhhhh .....but I previously asked Smallcar about this and Brian said it was easier with the hydraulic clutch......?? You guys seem to disagree....would the 92 be an easier swap....since it has the cable type clutch....??

What about the 2002 vs the 1992 tranny....do they have the same strength.

What is the usual cost/or sell value of the tranny and all the parts for the conversion..??

Warren C.

astralbody
05-17-2004, 06:48 PM
I believe the cable clutch to as strong as the hydraulic
the big difference is the fact you have to adjust it your self...big deal :)

cost is cheaper with the 90-94 legacy setup.

Just don't beat on it all the time...any tranny will get killed then
I say strength is comparable to each other.

the swap is EASY with the cable setup, no need to squeeze everything in one spot
pedals took me about 1.5 hrs.

I spent about 25 hrs for the swap and 10 hrs for the transmission "overlook and repair".

check your trans inside before putting it in :)

the crossmember about 3 hrs

hydraulic is morer work
I like the feel of the cable vs. hydraulic clutch in any car.
I like to feel where my clutch is.

switching the rear diff is EASY also.
did it myself, plug and play
as most of the swap is.

hope this helps....

God do I love this car more now!!!!!!

deruvian
05-17-2004, 07:35 PM
The car may kick butt, but man am I jealous. :rolleyes:

mark10t
05-18-2004, 01:59 AM
I can attest that Victoria's car does exist and, indeed, does have a 5-speed manual installed- I rode in it this morning while she screamed up and down McAndrews Road in it. Yes, the acceleration is awesome with the 4.11 gears.

I was picking up what remains of her 4EAT and all the misc. parts from her swap. I am having it installed (with the original differential) in my new/used '94 Legacy (turbo) Touring Wagon.

-Mark

Warren C
05-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by mark10t

I was picking up what remains of her 4EAT and all the misc. parts from her swap. I am having it installed (with the original differential) in my new/used '94 Legacy (turbo) Touring Wagon.

-Mark

The 4EAT transmission is used in the 90-94 Legacys as well as the SVX.....are they interchangeable?

Warren C.

mark10t
05-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Non-turbo and turbo Legacy's have different ratios. The transmission ratios are the same for turbo Legacy's and SVX's, but the final drive ratios are different (turbo-Legacy- 3.9, SVX- 3.545). Non-turbo Legacy's have a 4.11 final drive.

I'll find out shortly if there are any snags; the Touring Wagon is in the tranny shop right now getting it's 'swap'. My RWD didn't work (something in the transfer clutch assy.) and the shifting was less than stellar, so I'm having Victoria's 'recently rebuilt' SVX transmission 'transplanted'. We have to swap the front diff's to make it work (retain my 'old' diff), but her's was 'toast' anyway. That's what prompted her 5MT conversion in the first place.

Wish ME luck, now.

-Mark

astralbody
05-18-2004, 02:20 PM
let me know how it goes Mark!!

fingers crossed :)

still can't figure out the cruise...
small problem for what I have had to deal with :)
check it more this weekend...

later all!

astralbody
05-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi all

added new pics in my folder.

my shifter boot is in there now also.... :)

forgot to take pics of my intakje setup...get em later :)

mark10t
05-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Here's a follow-up to my 'saga' (double-posted)-

I just got the Legacy Touring Wagon back from the shop yesterday. Except for the hole they punched in the rear interior facia of the hatch lid**, there are no problems and the car drives very nicely. The 'fresh' transmission shifts very crisply and far more consistent with no hint of the 'flares' I'd experience with the old tranny. They did have to re-use the Legacy torque converter- it appreared as though there were some minor differences (i.e., starter ring gear) that were different and there are definitely some physical differences in the front diff's such as the starter and the axle stubs between SVX and Legacy. (I wouldn't have been able to re-use Victoria's diif anyway considering it had 4 teeth missing on the ring gear!!??!!)

**They decided to put my old trans/diff/torque converter, etc. in the back of the wagon before they test drove the car. When he hopped on it to test traction, etc., the torque tube/drive rod of the transmission slid back on the wagon floor and punched a hole through the hatch door facia and even put a small dent in the outer sheet metal. (Wouldn't you think you'd do your testing and 'spirited driving' BEFORE you put all the oily, heavy, loose stuff in the car!? I also ended up with some ATF leaking out of the tranny onto the deck and carpet before I got home- YECCHHHH! Lots of fun to clean up..... )

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in yet is the transfer clutch. After a lot of 'seat of the pants' and technical testing of the original transmission, I knew that I wasn't seeing ANYTHING out the back of the transmission to the rear wheels. I checked out the new transmission by driving up the back yard- a steep grass slope with the car- and got it to kick in the back wheels- although it wasn't as 'instantaneous' or as constant in engagement as I would have liked or hoped for.

So, now we've answered another Legacy vs. SVX transmission question.

-Mark

TomsSVX
05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Well, it looks like I found that little gear that she had trouble identifying and replacing. It in fact left me stranded. It is in the cupler in the rear of the trans. Liek spider gears in a differential. Well it was chewed up all to hell and now it is completely anihilated. Time for a new trans and parts to fix this one :D

Tom(BTW I own Vic's old car)

svxhunter
05-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I've got an SVX core you could probably part out and get lots of "little gears", etc. ;)

TomsSVX
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I've got an SVX core you could probably part out and get lots of "little gears", etc. ;)

Ya know i got a giggle or two out of that :D

Tom