PDA

View Full Version : SVX caught fire - now dead

devonsvx2
03-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone.
I have had my gorgeous maroon SVX for 2 weeks.

Today I left Devon at 6am and was driving to my parents in Surrey when near j5 on the M3 (8.07am) i noticed white smoke from the rear of the car. Head gasket I thought!!

I stopped the car on the hard shoulder, looked underneath the car and at the back near the back axle (Diff??) there was fire.

the girlfriend and myself ran to the SOS phone and within 5 minutes we had 2 fire engines and 2 police cars.

The fire was put out and the car was hosed down for the next hour to ensure the rear of the car cooled down. Seems the axle had caught fire and the gaskets and oil was ablaze and the fuel lines were very very very hot.

Car was recovered home to Devon just now (4pm) and now does not run at all.

What a shame as i loved this car and now because of teh fire i now have no car. Looking at the car from above all is okay but underneath it is just black.

aarrggghhhh

Regards
Ian

Nobody
03-06-2004, 12:48 PM
I feel with you Ian .
Peter

Michael Blue
03-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Ouch...sooooo sorry for your loss...

I honestly hope you have good insurance. I had a car fire in '98 with Progressive, and they definitley follow truth in advertising...they were "not what I excpected from an insurance company"...I expected coverage. :mad:

I hope you have better luck.

svxistentialist
03-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi Ian

Sorry to hear this news. You must have been very lucky. I would have expected the petrol tanks to explode for a fire back there, and the car to burn out totally.

Hopefully your insurance covers it, nearly all have Fire and Theft included. Make sure the assessor is aware of the value and condition of your car.

don't despair if the car is beyond repair. There are usually about 12-15 on Autotrader any time you log on.

Commiserations

Joe

Aredubjay
03-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Ian,
I'm shocked and saddened by the news. I hate it that this would've happened. I'm happy, however, that you weren't injured in the incident.

Take heart, however, that your SVX fuel tank has been tested under extreme conditions and found to be more resilient than a standard fuel tank.

Again, sorry to hear. Especially in such a short period of time as an owner.

Fuel Tank Test:

svxistentialist
03-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Wow Randy

Now it makes sense. A plastic tank. Fiendishly clever Nipponese!!

An awful pity the tank designer was not let have a go at designing an automatic gearbox for the car.:rolleyes: :D :D

First picture of a sawn-off SVX I have seen.

Thanks

Joe:)

b3lha
03-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by svxistentialist
An awful pity the tank designer was not let have a go at designing an automatic gearbox for the car.:rolleyes: :D :D

Although one might be forgiven for thinking our gearbox was made of plastic. :p

The Monzta
03-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Such a sad end for a great car, glad you and your girlfriend were safe though.

So what exactly caused the fire? How does a rear axle burst into flames? Is this something we should all be checking our cars for?

svxistentialist
03-09-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by b3lha

Although one might be forgiven for thinking our gearbox was made of plastic. :p

I used to think they were made of chocolate.

;) :D

devonsvx2
03-09-2004, 07:10 AM
I have rung the insurance company. Seems they will only cover bodywork damge and not mechanical damage. Car is being towed away in 45 mins to be assessed.

The firemen reckon that something caused friction at the back on the diff or axle and as a result caused the rubbers (?) and any gaskets to melt and as a result caused oil to escape which again caught fire.

He was guessing and had never seen such an incident at the back of the car.

In case the insurance company say they are not paying, does anyone know how much i am going to pay out for a new rear axle or rear diff (sorry not mechanically minded - is it called a diff)?

Should i repair it or let it go say for spares?

Thanks to everyone who has replied and for good wishes.

Regards

Ian

Aredubjay
03-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Wow Randy

Now it makes sense. A plastic tank. Fiendishly clever Nipponese!!

First picture of a sawn-off SVX I have seen.

Thanks

Here's the link to the Road and Track guide that's been put up on the web. This person has done a great job and is providing a great service to SVXers who don't have the guide.

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/road_track/

TonyShaleUK
03-09-2004, 08:20 AM
There was an SVX being broken for spares on the Yahoo site - Dec last year or Jan this year. They may have the bits you are after. Also, a salvage yard where I just got a front driveshaft from - 01759 372727 - engine and box has gone amongst other stuff, but might be worth a try. Think that this was a 96 car.

Good luck!

The Monzta
03-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by devonsvx2
I have rung the insurance company. Seems they will only cover bodywork damge and not mechanical damage. Car is being towed away in 45 mins to be assessed.

The firemen reckon that something caused friction at the back on the diff or axle and as a result caused the rubbers (?) and any gaskets to melt and as a result caused oil to escape which again caught fire.

In case the insurance company say they are not paying, does anyone know how much i am going to pay out for a new rear axle or rear diff (sorry not mechanically minded - is it called a diff)?

Regards

Ian

I've already been down the diff route this year. I know for a fact that a new rear diff from Subaru is £1529.83 incl VAT. As of late Jan they had three on the shelf in the UK.

Sonar
03-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Does that price include the actual CAR also ....???:eek: :rolleyes:

/Sonny :cool:

The Monzta
03-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Scary isn't it? :(

bilko
03-10-2004, 01:13 PM
dont know what to say brother? a very sad loss but glad your both ok!

svxistentialist
03-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by devonsvx2

Regards

Ian

Ian

Let us know what the progress is, if your car can be saved, and if there is anything we can do to help.

Michael Blue
03-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Here's the link to the Road and Track guide that's been put up on the web. This person has done a great job and is providing a great service to SVXers who don't have the guide.

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/road_track/

THANK YOU for posting that! Took a while to save all nearly 100 pics, but I'm going to have some reading material for a LONG time.

Earthworm
03-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Good thing you saved them. Those are on my server which, for some reason, isn't responding right now and I'm not at home to fix it. :(

Aredubjay
03-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Earthworm
Good thing you saved them. Those are on my server which, for some reason, isn't responding right now and I'm not at home to fix it. :(

Yikes!:eek:

David, I didn't know it was you, who posted those. Credit where it's due! I'll remember who to thank, from now on. Well, as soon as you get your server fixed. :D

I've got the whole thing on CD if you need again. I could burn you a copy. shhhhh -- don't tell anybody.

svxistentialist
03-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Yes,

Thanks for that David. I saved the whole lot to my hard drive, AND printed off a copy. Burned up a lot of my colour cartridge, but worth it.

I notice Harvey down under feels they did not fully understand the Iris valve on the inlet tracts. Wonder what part of their overview was technically incorrect??:eek:

I also was a bit aghast to see the wheels on backways on the pearlie. Two things to wonder at; were they using non-directional tyres on the pre-production test cars for the article? and if not, and they were directional, how would the car handle, and how safe would it be?

Maybe they did it on purpose to get better grip for rocking the car back and forth to get out of snowdrifts:D :D :D

Aredubjay
03-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Earthworm

All better now. :D

ensteele
03-24-2004, 10:47 PM
I have a set saved too.

By the way, some of the instruction tape of the SVX (tape included with the car) has the wheels on backwards too! :eek: I didn't see any snow drifts though. :D

Earthworm
03-25-2004, 02:31 PM

All better now. :D I actually ran home at lunch to fix the issue. My computer had reconnected to my ISP but it didn't update the DNS records for some reason. It's working fine now.

Earthworm
03-25-2004, 02:35 PM

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/road_track/ Just fair warning the dcss.dyn.dhs.org domain will eventually be phased out in favor of svx-iw.com.

The best way to load the Road & Track article is:

load http://svx-iw.com/
Click on the Road and Track link