PDA

View Full Version : need help quick :(

Speedklix
02-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I just went to do my brakes (rotors and pads)

On one side I can't get the lower piston to compress, I don't know what to do!!! The top slid right back no problem, the bottom one won't budge. I have never had this happen before with any car.

Does this mean the caliper is in need of rebuild/replacment or am I just missing something. I even cracked the bleed and feed line incase it was a pressure thing... nothing

thanks in advance for any input

Ding N' Prayer
02-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Your best bet is to remove the brake line and take the caliper to the shop. My guess is that yout brake fluid is really dark. That means rust in the system. Check both sides to see that they are operating properly or you may have rebuild both(I recommend this because if one goes the other is not far behind). I may be easier cheaper to replace both with rebuilt "loaded"(comes with everything new, pads,clips,seals) calipers. The dealer won't carry this but a Beck Arnly dealer will I think even a NAPA dealer will. Stay away from Pep Boys or any large chain they sell garbage. Before you install flush your system with clean fluid (this may take a few jars) of good quality (DOT 3 or higher). you don't need expensive high performance fluid, that's for racing purposes and silicone fluid may deteriorate any rubber seals in the system. Note to all Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years or when you can't see the shadow of your finger through the resevoir. By design the fluid is like a sponge for moisture. Even a can half full on the shelf will collect moisture over a short amount of time. Sorry it's a little long winded, just sharing my experiences.

Speedklix
02-10-2004, 03:23 PM
thanks for the quick respones guys. I was afraid it was rust and the fluid I just bled was pretty dark. I'll have to find a rebuilt or two :(

I was 90% sure it was toast, but I needed some other people to confirm it. Thanks

slacker
02-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Agree, Ding N Prayer is right on, and also consider your anti freeze coolant.

An old VW mechanic explained to me, that with moisture in the brake fluild when it's freezing outside the moisture forms sharp little ice crystals that can tear your seals.

Anti freeze tends to become acidic over time and attacks metal objects like your radiator ($$$).

Drain and flush with clear water before adding new coolant and carefully dispose of the old coolant, if pets (dog's) drink it they will die (or someone will have a He_l of a Vet bill if caught in time).

Ding N' Prayer
02-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Right on slacker with the antifreeze to replace every 2 years. Also only use DISTILLED water. It has no minerals in that react with the metals in your engine. You can usually find it in the suppermarkets, if not collect the water from your dehumidifier and use that. It also has a higher bouiling point than tap water. Should also be used in batteries.

Speedklix
02-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Great advice guys, I actually did plan on replacing all fluids in my car this spring. I never would have thought about using distilled water, I always just get water at the sink for it.

Good idea.

1972+'73 BMW 2002 tii ... nice
The only one I ever saw on the island was parked next to a Delorean at a garage

Beav
02-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Antifreeze contains an agent that acts as a sacrificial anode that takes the brunt of corrosion due to electrolysis, etc. Over time the agent will be depleted and the cooling system will be unprotected from corrosion. Antifreeze itself never loses its ability to protect from freezing, unless diluted excessively.

mark10t
02-12-2004, 04:14 PM
When I read this post, my first thought was with the 'old' Subaru's that needed to have the piston 'turned/cranked' back into the caliper to 'reset' them. The first time I encountered this unique Subaru characteristic (on my '81 4WD GL Wagon?) I was on the local vol. fire dept. and tried EVERYTHING (including a hydraulic ram- a predecessor of 'the jaws of life'!) to no avail to get those pistons returned to their 'home position'!!!....

...then someone 'splained it to me.....

-Mark

Speedklix
02-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Beav
Antifreeze contains an agent that acts as a sacrificial anode that takes the brunt of corrosion due to electrolysis, etc. Over time the agent will be depleted and the cooling system will be unprotected from corrosion. Antifreeze itself never loses its ability to protect from freezing, unless diluted excessively.

Either way, I think I'm gonna be using distilled water from now on just to make sure. Every now and then around here our water gets a bit rusty and it is always at random, ussually always after a hydrant has been opened near by. So I want to be certain to mitigate the amount of "bad stuff" flowing through my car. Even if I am gonna change it again in a year.

Speedklix
02-16-2004, 02:45 PM
New pair of calipers got here today. I decided I'm gonna paint them, and went all over the place lokking for red VHT. Everyone was out. I had to settle for blue.

As I started to apply the first coat, I started to wish I got silver or black. Now that coat 3 is on, it doesn't look too bad though.

I am about to put on another coat... I wonder how much is too much. ehh i'll take pics when I put them on tonight or tomorrow if anyone is interested in what blue looks like. I think I only saw red and yellow on here.

Speedklix
02-19-2004, 04:44 PM
in the locker if anyone is interested..