PDA

View Full Version : starter/wheel bearings

poweredx2
01-28-2004, 07:38 AM
I had my starter replaced six months ago now below freezing the sob will not start but I do hear a click from the starter,above freezing the car starts great.Also I had my wheel bearings replaced,now the right rear is humming again.I notice there is a lot of play or movement,I jacked the car up and noticed that by pulling on the rear wheel.Is it possible for me to replace them ,what special tools would I need.:mad:

Phast SVX
01-28-2004, 09:50 AM
you need the Subaru front and rear hub puller kit(otherwise known as a hub tamer) There was one for sale on ebay, i dont know what exactly it went for but i can tell you that is probably the first time ive ever seen one for sale. ALso if you do change the wheelbearing yourslef, be sure to cleanoff the bearing and pack alot of grease on it(not hte shipping grease it comes with) and try not to put alot of pressure on it, they are just so sensetive.
phil

Earthworm
01-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Also make sure it's not a bushing that's warn out as well. The noise I got when pulling on the back tire was due to the 2 outer bushings being warn out.

poweredx2
02-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Thanks a million,I am now buying each tool and part needed to replace my own bearing and bushings,the hardest thing to find is the subaru hub tamer,Iwill be checking a dealership soon.

nubs
02-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by poweredx2
Thanks a million,I am now buying each tool and part needed to replace my own bearing and bushings,the hardest thing to find is the subaru hub tamer,Iwill be checking a dealership soon.

The tool you are talking about is not a Subaru only tool. It is made by OTC. You can find them all over the web,like HERE (http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc6490.html)

You may be able to find one that you can rent from someone locally,as they are pretty pricey.

Ding N' Prayer
02-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Not to mention. with a little practice you can do your friends car too!. I replaced my rears myself and when I needed to press out the old "race?" the local dealer mechanic had it out in a minute , no charge. Definataly use a good quality grease. I found that a dealer installed bearing 14 months 6,500 miles prior with just the factory grease. It wasn't even enough to cover everything let alone be of the right quality. They like it becaus efor an hour's work they charge $500+, the bearing costs $80 and is exclusively a Subaru part (far as I know from a local bearing supply house) Pack it well every nook 'n cranny, don't be afraid to use to much inside the bearing.