PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing bad

ChrisR
12-31-2003, 01:16 PM
I have a few questions on this. My driver's rear is getting quite loud. I have searched this forum, and found some good prices on the parts, and where to get them. However I doubt I could tackle this job on my own (or have time). So...
How bad is it to drive on the bad bearing?
How long do I have until something really goes horrible?
Anywhere around the puget sound area that would give a decent price on the labor?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks for listening.

WestCoastSVX
12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Hi Chris.

Been there, done that, twice now. First the right rear, then about a year later the left rear. Both have been fine since.

Both times I went to Smart Service in Mountlake Terrace (Edmonds area, a bit north of Seattle) and they knew exactly what they were doing with the SVX (as always) and even pointed out the common problem before I could remind them about it (other shops installing them wrong, read the old threads here of members having the same bearing replaced up to ten times in a couple years' time:eek: ). Price was a little better than the Subaru dealers and I trust Smart Service a lot more than the dealers.

As far as a do-it-yourself project, I myself have never seen any member here claim to have successfully done it. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I don't check in at the tech forum much. Special tools and skills are needed I think though.

As for driving on it when it is bad, both times I drove the car daily on long commutes until I had the money and a convient day to go w/o the car, and the bearing got pretty LOUD by that point. Both times I asked here if I could do any harm and both times no one could think of anything that I could hurt by this, at least not by driving it at sound levels that could be tolerated by human ears. :D Again, it has been a few years since they were both replaced and no more problems with the bearings, or anything else on the car for that matter so I must not have hurt anything. Your mileage may vary of course. ;)

ensteele
12-31-2003, 03:20 PM
That is what usually happens, just gets louder. There have been a couple members who had theirs totally go out and the car had to be hauled to a repair shop. This of course does not happen all of the time. I just wanted to make sure you know what could happen. Good luck. :)

ChrisR
12-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good info. I think I will safely be able to drive the car for a few more weeks, but I'll get it fixed as soon as I can. Thanks

ensteele
12-31-2003, 05:39 PM
That sounds like a good plan. :)

mbtoloczko
01-01-2004, 07:12 AM
I drove my car cross country (3000 miles) on very noisy rear wheel bearings and then another 2000 miles around town before I changed them out. It doesn't take much scoring on the bearing race to cause them to howl.

JENKIN
01-01-2004, 05:14 PM
How do you like the blizzaks? There is about a foot of snow on highway 97 between Yak city and prosser (home of second job) and it took me over 90 minutes to traverse the distance. The time was spent dodging snow plows and people who should stay in if there is inclement weather. Left the svx at home (clearance issues) and drove the awd astro van....it is a snow animal!!
If you decide to attack the bearing yourself, let me know as I will come over and watch and give unneeded advice. I havent done the job, but would welcome an opportunity to watch the work!

ChrisR
01-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Jenkin, the tires are pretty nice. They handle the snow really well, we had about 3 inches on the road here, and they gripped really well. However, on ice they don't do very well at all (what does? ). Also the tires are quite loud (maybe wheel bearing also;) ). They are an OK tire, but I would say not worth the [retail] price. But I got a good deal on them (helps to have 4-5 friends that work at schwabbies). We'll have to see if I think I can do the bearing myself, not sure yet. I'll let you know if I do.

JENKIN
01-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Chris- in case you have not already seen this.
you may want to check this out. It would probably be easier to just swap this in...

I just put lots more stuff on ebay
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...&sort=3&rows=50

Check out that 100% positive feedback.

Stephen

the seller is a forum member and is in beaverton,or.

ChrisR
01-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Well, got it done today! no, I did NOT do it myself. I ordered the parts from rockauto.com, and had les schwab do it. But I'm glad to have it back in good running condition. I think I'm going to put an exhaust on it next:D

LAter

Warren C
01-20-2004, 11:21 AM
What did it cost for the bearing job??

Parts ??

Labor ??

ChrisR
01-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Warren C
What did it cost for the bearing job??

Parts ??

Labor ??

Parts were ~75 dollars shipped from Rockauto.com, labor was $103 dollars for bearing replacement AND 4 wheel alignment. (I got the HOOK-UP at les schwab on that labor price).