PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow or Flowmaster??

Kolombian013X
12-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Ive seen the ongoing conversations with what exhaust is better for an svx. Ive seen people talk about dual flowmaster 60 series and the single 80 series muffler which matches the Camaros. Then Ive heard about the Magnaflows hi flow cat and straight flowing mufflers. Stebro exhausts are out of the question hence the reason why their not in the subject name. So to get to the my point, which is better and what the main reason for it? Im looking for a deeper tone while not going over the edge with something so loud and performace lacking rather than enhancing. Tell me what your opinions are on the matter and what custom exhaust you have on your svx. Lastly, what are the specs for the stock exhaust on a 94 svx? Thanks for all the help, maybe this can help the ongoing dilemma in my head. LOL

Motorsport-SVX
12-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Kolombian013X
Ive seen the ongoing conversations with what exhaust is better for an svx. Ive seen people talk about dual flowmaster 60 series and the single 80 series muffler which matches the Camaros. Then Ive heard about the Magnaflows hi flow cat and straight flowing mufflers. Stebro exhausts are out of the question hence the reason why their not in the subject name. So to get to the my point, which is better and what the main reason for it? Im looking for a deeper tone while not going over the edge with something so loud and performace lacking rather than enhancing. Tell me what your opinions are on the matter and what custom exhaust you have on your svx. Lastly, what are the specs for the stock exhaust on a 94 svx? Thanks for all the help, maybe this can help the ongoing dilemma in my head. LOL

I could use either
I sell both
Ive sold more Magnaflow
I use the Magnaflow crossflow on all my Svx's
Judging by what you are wanting out of the system,
its easy: Magnaflow
thats just my 2¢ ..your asking. :) :)

mikecg
12-30-2003, 05:26 AM
I did the flowmaster 80 for 2 reasons.

1) they were already known to me and the shop had them on the shelf. I had a 60 series on a V-6 Mustang I totalled before getting the SVX and had a '88 K5 Blazer with a flowmaster also.

2) It was a relatively easy and cheap install. The 80 series flowmaster is the closest in design and fit to the stock muffler. I didnt want to have all the piping redone and to tell the truth. I like an exhaust that looks good as well as sounds good. From the pictures Ive seen of he Stretos and megaflows that people have posted, They look like cheap slap together things.

poweredx2
12-30-2003, 08:56 AM
I had a two chamber turbo tube muffler,it sounds like a small v8,now I have a 40 series flowmaster,it sound very deep.I had the shop mount it before the rear wheels.94 fwd:)

Motorsport-SVX
12-30-2003, 11:27 AM
that alot of people fail to mention is sure it sounds
low and deep but thats usually at idle and under 3000
rpms, Once you get between 3000-5500 rpms the
sound changes dramatically especially outside the car
to the people around you. Inside the car it may not be
as noticeable. Also Flowmasters have been known
to have a resonation thru the cab if you sit at one
speed on the freeway too.
Alot of it depends on your age maybe too :) :)

mikecg
12-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
that alot of people fail to mention is sure it sounds
low and deep but thats usually at idle and under 3000
rpms, Once you get between 3000-5500 rpms the
sound changes dramatically especially outside the car
to the people around you. Inside the car it may not be
as noticeable. Also Flowmasters have been known
to have a resonation thru the cab if you sit at one
speed on the freeway too.
Alot of it depends on your age maybe too :) :)

Actually The low RPM is relatively quiet. Thats the reason I went with the flowmaster. The DMV here does a noise checks. below 3000 RPM the exhaust is still relatively quiet. Above that it starts to get loud. The Flowmasters respond completely different to 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder engines. Flowmasters on V-8's wont pass the noise standards. My father has a Flowmaster on his Chevy stepside. And yes it does resionate into the Cab and it is annoying on long trips. I didnt have that problem with my V-6 mustang, or the Suby. Above 3500 RPMs the sound does start to get into the car, but How often do you cruise around at 3500 RPMs? The Flowmasters arent any louder than a Stock Mustang GT or a Camaro at lower RPMs.

Green1995SVX
12-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by mikecg

From the pictures Ive seen of he Stretos and megaflows that people have posted, They look like cheap slap together things.

Do you mean "Stebros?" If so, you're very wrong.

Mike

Seraph
12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Do you mean "Stebros?" If so, you're very wrong.

Mike

I agree with mike. I also agree with the other mike about the flowmasters.

immortal_suby
12-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by poweredx2
I had a two chamber turbo tube muffler,it sounds like a small v8,now I have a 40 series flowmaster,it sound very deep.I had the shop mount it before the rear wheels.94 fwd:)

I heard this exhaust with the flowmaster 40 - It was awesome.

I have the flowmaster 80 - there is a sound clip in my locker. Keep in mind a stock system with this bolted to it will not sound the same as my sound clip - I have custom pipe starting behind the 02 sensors.

mikecg
12-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby

I heard this exhaust with the flowmaster 40 - It was awesome.

I have the flowmaster 80 - there is a sound clip in my locker. Keep in mind a stock system with this bolted to it will not sound the same as my sound clip - I have custom pipe starting behind the 02 sensors.

I'd be interest in putting our cars side by side and hearing the difference the resinator makes. I didn't have anything forward of the rear wheels messed with.

immortal_suby
12-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Are you gonna be at the next reading meet? :D :D

Kolombian013X
12-30-2003, 06:08 PM
So dayle you are very satisfied with the magnaflows on your svx's? If so, are you talking about the same setup that is shown in your warehouse? (The hi flow cat, resonator, muffler, and tips)

Motorsport-SVX
12-30-2003, 06:55 PM
So dayle you are very satisfied with the magnaflows on your svx's? If so, are you talking about the same setup that is shown in your warehouse? (The hi flow cat, resonator, muffler, and tips)

if I wasnt satisfied with the end results, I would of
kept changing the kit until I got something I really liked
But I get compliments on it everytime Im out driving
and it makes just growl to let someone else know its not
stock anymore, but at the same time doesnt draw too much attention either (like from johnny law etc....) Makes the Porsche guys mad, and all the other "imports" nervous, oh and the V8s guys, it just confuses the hell outta them !! :) :)
Ive had the kit on 3 of my SVX's and will continue to offer them.
Its cost effective & excellent quaility for those who like to get the most for their hard earned $. :) :)

ensteele
12-30-2003, 07:03 PM
I have the Magnaflow system on mine and I like it too. It sounds good when you get on it, but not attention getting unless you start to move out. :) It seems to be just enough. ;)

Motorsport-SVX
12-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ensteele
I have the Magnaflow system on mine and I like it too. It sounds good when you get on it, but not attention getting unless you start to move out. :) It seems to be just enough. ;)

Ensteel,
Did you keep the resonator inline in the system?

If one where to want even the Magnaflow muffler
to be throatier, the owner of the car could remove
the stock resonator completely with their new system.
If that got too loud over time, they could easily install
a new resonator (like one we offer in our kit) to calm
the sound down a bit.

Subafreak
12-30-2003, 08:45 PM
What the hell do you meen the Magnaflow systems you,ve seen look like thrown together crap?:mad:

Subafreak
12-30-2003, 08:51 PM
I had Flowmasters on it in the same configuration ( hint: Don't run true dual Flowmasters, does not sound good). I heard Immortal's single Flowmaster set up at Reading and that sounded good. The biggest thing I don't like about Flowmasters now is, well just look at the cross section! A flowmaster has a bunch of plates blocking the flow of the exaust and nothing to really quiet the sound, a Magnaflow is a strait through muffler with steel wool and fiberglass packing to obsorb the sounds. To me it just makes sense, I like the sound of my SVX now.

Here's the rest.

Motorsport-SVX
12-30-2003, 09:49 PM
a dual magnaflow system wont sound the
same as a single crossflow magnaflow system...
the dual kit would be louder somewhat....
Nice kits guys.... :)
Dg

Kolombian013X
12-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Dayle, what are the increased performance specs with the Magnaflow exhaust that you offer?

Motorsport-SVX
12-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Dayle, what are the increased performance specs with the Magnaflow exhaust that you offer?

Judging by what Magnaflow gets outta the same
muffler on the V6 Camaro it was designed for a fair
est would be 8-12 hp with Just the muffler. Thats
a realistic non inflated estimate. Add that to the hi flow
cat we offer too and you can get up to 15 or more hp.
Also a plus to the additions is better gas mileage.
All my cars got better mpg after I did my system....
thanks
Dayle

mikecg
12-31-2003, 02:52 PM
a dual magnaflow system wont sound the
same as a single crossflow magnaflow system...
the dual kit would be louder somewhat....
Nice kits guys.... :)
Dg

Ok, that is the first time I've seen that set-up with the megnaflow. It is set up the same as my Flowmaster. I like that look. Most that I've seen have the y pipe at the back wheels with 2 of the round mufflers angling over to the stock outlet location. The Magnaflow signal in, dual out looks nice. Like I said my Flowmaster looks almost the same. I can say which sounds better. I've never heard what this set-up sounds like.

Landshark
12-31-2003, 03:44 PM
i had a Magnaflow on my 928 and it was a great sounding/performing muffler (that was also easily replaced with a 5" megaphone if i wanted things to get ugly! :D )

the guy who designed the exhaust system i had on it was an evil genius with access to a dyno and flow bench. he tried many different setups and mufflers, and went with Magnaflow. so there's my endorsement, even though i have a Stebro on the SVX.

Bwana
12-31-2003, 04:07 PM
I have dual flowmasters after a Y behind the axle. It's starting to get a little buzzy around 4-5k, i think i might go back to the shop and have them put a resonator in.:confused:

Anyway, here's some pics. (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Bwana|9865)

p.s. I dont know what kind of tips those are. If I ever get around to calling the shop, i'll find out.

BigBlueSVX
12-31-2003, 06:43 PM
does anyone have a sound clip of a Magnaflow system?

Motorsport-SVX
12-31-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by BigBlueSVX

try to remember the coolest sounding Porsche you've
ever heard, street driven of course.....that comes
pretty close :)

think before the internet it was easier to buy (and sell)
stuff for fixing up cars.... :D :D

CigarJohnny
01-01-2004, 08:54 AM
I know one thing...well...two things for sure.

First is that i will be taking a notepad with me to ReadingV this April so I can compare exaust notes and make a wishlist for my exaust. ;)

Second is that the SuperTrapp mufflers sound like crap. I went to www.supertrapp.com and listened to the sound clips they had. Sounded like a farm tractor being raced. Talk about fart can exausts...sounded like a guy making raspberries into a microphone. I had an old Horizon with a 2" exaust and a cherrybomb muffler and a reversed cherrybomb as a resonator and it sounded just like those SuperTrapps. It got old really quick. The sound from those supertrapps and the price of a Stebro system have made my potential parts list that much smaller. :rolleyes:

Motorsport-SVX
01-03-2004, 06:25 PM
on our Pewter car today....
all the components we offer on our site...
Will try to have a sound byte by Monday....
Dayle

James Scott
01-04-2004, 03:06 AM
Heh Dayle: How much would you say is the "average" cost for labor to have a shop bend up and weld some pipes and to install your $395. exhaust upgrade?

[i no u doughno fur shure, jus gimme a figur!] THANKS! :D

Zeppelin
01-04-2004, 10:32 AM
It ran me $105 to have my Magnaflow put on.

elninoalex
01-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I would recommend getting some mandrel bent sections from JCWhitney before you would take it to a shop to have it done. If you can't find a shop with mandrel bending equip, and you are likely not to, it is not a good idea to install a tranverse mount muffler using crush bends. You have a 90 followed by a 180 and they can get very constricted when crush bent. It kind of defeats the purpose of spending money on new exhaust components and then restricting the pipe. They are pretty cheap and greatly simplify installation. A 2 1/2" 90 with an swaged end is part # 81SA2968Y at $12.99 and the 180 with swaged end is part # 81SA3035N at $23.99. If you want, get two more 90s for your outlets(be sure to checkoutlet size) althouth they're not as important because you have twice the flow coming out. If you were to get those four parts, you could easily assemble it yourself and then it would just be a matter of hanging and welding it up. It should save some labor cost at a shop. Again, this is only for the use of a 2 1/2" inlet, dual outlet transverse mount muffler(Camaro style).

Stephen

Motorsport-SVX
01-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by James Scott
Heh Dayle: How much would you say is the "average" cost for labor to have a shop bend up and weld some pipes and to install your $395. exhaust upgrade?

[i no u doughno fur shure, jus gimme a figur!] THANKS! :D

My guy charges me about $150 with the custom
cat installation...
Heres a few more pics
We sell the Mandrel U bends too in a variety of sizes....

Motorsport-SVX
01-04-2004, 10:52 AM

My guy charges me about $150 with the custom
cat installation...
Heres a few more pics
We sell the Mandrel U bends too in a variety of sizes....

more....

Motorsport-SVX
01-04-2004, 10:53 AM
we cut up 1 2.5" mandrel for the muffler
inlet....

Amazonparrot
01-04-2004, 08:55 PM
I havent really read many of the replies to this post, but ill throw what i have experianced in there. The flowmaster 80 setup is what i have, and i have gotten nothing but compliments and looks of fear from my car buddies. It was a fairly easy fit, and the sound is mean from idle to 4500rpm on MY setup, which is completely stock besides the muffler and tips which are quads. The one thing i dont like though is that the wicked sound dies off after 4500rpm and it goes back to sounding stock, so if you are like, gunning it, the sound wont stick around for long as it climbs the tach. I have heard horror stories about how loud flowmasters can be inside the car and such, and was wary, but once i took the plunge, i realized that it is almost as quiet as stock under normal acceleration, just deeper. Well since I didnt read the other replies, I cant really support or protest their claims but i might add more later....anyways, thats my 2 cents...hope it was helpful

MAY THE SVX LIVE LONG!

SVX10
01-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by BigBlueSVX

I have a clip. It's not all that good though. I used my laptop to get the sound from inside the car with the window open. Lots of background noise and you can't really hear it at low RPM. I think it sounds really good when the RPMs rise, though.

Motorsport-SVX
01-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by SVX10

I have a clip. It's not all that good though. I used my laptop to get the sound from inside the car with the window open. Lots of background noise and you can't really hear it at low RPM. I think it sounds really good when the RPMs rise, though.

Thats cool, I made a few soundbytes tonite
from inside the car
from outside the car coming towards
driving away
and a Fly-by !
Hope to have them soon
Dayle

immortal_suby
01-05-2004, 08:01 PM
My flowmaster 80 sound is a little different with the open pipes - it actually grows more evil as the rpm's climb. :D

Originally posted by Amazonparrot
I havent really read many of the replies to this post, but ill throw what i have experianced in there. The flowmaster 80 setup is what i have, and i have gotten nothing but compliments and looks of fear from my car buddies. It was a fairly easy fit, and the sound is mean from idle to 4500rpm on MY setup, which is completely stock besides the muffler and tips which are quads. The one thing i dont like though is that the wicked sound dies off after 4500rpm and it goes back to sounding stock, so if you are like, gunning it, the sound wont stick around for long as it climbs the tach. I have heard horror stories about how loud flowmasters can be inside the car and such, and was wary, but once i took the plunge, i realized that it is almost as quiet as stock under normal acceleration, just deeper. Well since I didnt read the other replies, I cant really support or protest their claims but i might add more later....anyways, thats my 2 cents...hope it was helpful

MAY THE SVX LIVE LONG! :D

SVX10
01-05-2004, 11:22 PM

Thats cool, I made a few soundbytes tonite
from inside the car
from outside the car coming towards
driving away
and a Fly-by !
Hope to have them soon
Dayle

I'd really like to hear your Magnaflow setup. I'd guess it'd be different from mine since I have the KC setup with 2 mufflers. Hopefully I can get outside clips of my car while I'm home. I just need to get a friend to hold either the laptop or the digi-cam. Hopefully I will be transferred back to Phoenix so i can stop by your shop this spring. I'd like to see some things first hand like your exhaust kits and your leather kits and a 5 speed if you have any more around
-Mat

Motorsport-SVX
01-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Heres a few we did tonite

just sitting outside the car a few feet away at
the back of the car

www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/starting.wav

this one is my friend sitting on the curb and me
driving away just getting into 2nd gear

www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/takeoff.wav

this one is me doing a fly-by, same friend sitting on
curb, and me passing him

www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/passing1.wav

and this is with the windows down, hard take off just
getting outta first gear...from Inside the car (foot to teh floor)

www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/incar2.wav

Should have a few more just for fun in a few days...
thanks...Dayle

James Scott
01-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Heh Dayle: How about a sound bite with the windows up? It sounds good on your clips, but wonder if it's too much noise for my everyday high-speed commuting? Most of my driving is 70 to 75 MPH on country roads. [I know I'm getting old!]
:D

If you think the 75 MPH decibels would be good for me, what exactly should I order besides the $395 kit you show (90 degree and 180 degree elbows, for example?). Are the tips you show the best for that setup or are the tips a matter of choice? Someone said we could "assemble" before the muffler tech simply welded it in place. How could we do that?

PLEASE educate me. THANKS! :D

Motorsport-SVX
01-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Heh Dayle: How about a sound bite with the windows up? It sounds good on your clips, but wonder if it's too much noise for my everyday high-speed commuting? Most of my driving is 70 to 75 MPH on country roads. [I know I'm getting old!]

No, your not old, its actually very quite at
one steady speeds in 3rd or OD on the freeway...
very SVX style-ish from its Svx roots.
If you go up or down a bit from one steady RPM
you get a small growl and reminder you have a
system, but nothing off the wall....
I can try for another one this week...
thanks
Dayle

James Scott
01-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Sorry Dayle>> You responded before I finished this edit>>
If you think the 75 MPH decibels would be good for me, what exactly should I order besides the $395 kit you show (90 degree and 180 degree elbows, for example?). Are the tips you show the best for that setup or are the tips a matter of choice? Someone said we could "assemble" before the muffler tech simply welded it in place. How could we do that?

PLEASE educate me. THANKS!
:D :confused: :D

Motorsport-SVX
01-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Sorry Dayle>> You responded before I finished this edit>>

PLEASE educate me. THANKS!
:D :confused: :D

We offer the mandrel U bends if you want $15 ea...
you may want 1 2.5" for the main pipe
and 1 2.25. for the tailpipes....
I just suggest having a small local shop install the
set up from start to finish, many people print out the pic
of our car and take it to some shops to get some quotes.

svxboy
10-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Only recommend running duals with a H or X-pipe. Added a H-pipe later.

Greg

svxboy
10-01-2004, 12:07 AM
again

svxboy
10-03-2004, 02:21 PM
If anyone cares, my good bud just bought for his '94 5spd, a Hooker Header Aero Chamber muffler, cross flow style and a dual inlet single outlet high flow converter. These will be installed as soon as they arrive from Holley. I hope to record some sound clips when it is completed.

Greg

svx92Latvia
10-03-2004, 06:19 PM
did anyone really try a set up with Supertrapp on a svx ?
or a set up with 2 Supertrapp mufflers ?

TCamusJr
04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Not to bring up an old post, but well yeah, to bring up an old post...

Is the magnaflow that motorsport sells a "2 1/2" inlet, dual outlet transverse mount muffler(Camaro style)" and hence requiring mandrel bent sections?

I would recommend getting some mandrel bent sections from JCWhitney before you would take it to a shop to have it done. If you can't find a shop with mandrel bending equip, and you are likely not to, it is not a good idea to install a tranverse mount muffler using crush bends. You have a 90 followed by a 180 and they can get very constricted when crush bent. It kind of defeats the purpose of spending money on new exhaust components and then restricting the pipe. They are pretty cheap and greatly simplify installation. A 2 1/2" 90 with an swaged end is part # 81SA2968Y at $12.99 and the 180 with swaged end is part # 81SA3035N at $23.99. If you want, get two more 90s for your outlets(be sure to checkoutlet size) althouth they're not as important because you have twice the flow coming out. If you were to get those four parts, you could easily assemble it yourself and then it would just be a matter of hanging and welding it up. It should save some labor cost at a shop. Again, this is only for the use of a 2 1/2" inlet, dual outlet transverse mount muffler(Camaro style).

Stephen

Motorsport-SVX
04-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Not to bring up an old post, but well yeah, to bring up an old post...

Is the magnaflow that motorsport sells a "2 1/2" inlet, dual outlet transverse mount muffler(Camaro style)" and hence requiring mandrel bent sections?

yes, its part #12266
Youll need a new inlet pipe bent for the side inlet
yes, but it doenst have to be mandrel bent.
If you want it to be, buy a 2.5" mandrel U bend
and cut off what you dont need. Like in this pic if you
want.

James Scott
04-18-2005, 06:07 AM
I love my Magnaflow setup I purchased/installed locally about 1 year ago...Sounds great (kinda like Porsche). [ala Dayle @ Motorsports].

Watched the installation....THE CRUSH BENDS WERE VISIBLEY RESTRICTED! I'm personally not looking for top performance, but I would recommend based on the above observation that you employ a prebent tube, al least for the inlet to the muffler!

Motorsport-SVX
04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
I love my Magnaflow setup I purchased/installed locally about 1 year ago...Sounds great (kinda like Porsche). [ala Dayle @ Motorsports].

Watched the installation....THE CRUSH BENDS WERE VISIBLEY RESTRICTED! I'm personally not looking for top performance, but I would recommend based on the above observation that you employ a prebent tube, al least for the inlet to the muffler!

In the pic we posted 2 post above this, you can see that inlet
pipe, on our car we took a 180 degree 2.5" Mandrel bend and
cut it down to the correct length......fits perfect and only cost
an extra $25

MaxImUmZ
07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
if I wasnt satisfied with the end results, I would of
kept changing the kit until I got something I really liked
But I get compliments on it everytime Im out driving
and it makes just growl to let someone else know its not
stock anymore, but at the same time doesnt draw too much attention either (like from johnny law etc....) Makes the Porsche guys mad, and all the other "imports" nervous, oh and the V8s guys, it just confuses the hell outta them !! :) :)
Ive had the kit on 3 of my SVX's and will continue to offer them.
Its cost effective & excellent quaility for those who like to get the most for their hard earned $. :) :)

sorry if this has already been discussed being as im only partway threw the thread, but has anyone dynoed any of these setups?

SubaruSVXCrazy
02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Ok, I'm look for a muffler and I don't want to mess with cats or resonators. I really like the sound of a wrx throghty gargle/bhrrr noise. Does magnaflow sound ricey at high rpms? I really like some of the vw vr6s with magnaflow. I like the deep sound and in the flowmaster clips they sound like a growl rather than bhurrrrr noise if you know what you mean. Anything input?

Speedklix
02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Ok, I'm look for a muffler and I don't want to mess with cats or resonators. I really like the sound of a wrx throghty gargle/bhrrr noise. Does magnaflow sound ricey at high rpms? I really like some of the vw vr6s with magnaflow. I like the deep sound and in the flowmaster clips they sound like a growl rather than bhurrrrr noise if you know what you mean. Anything input?

You can't call my system "ricey" the closest it sounds to rice is when you really get on it when you've been on decel about 8 mph... it has that "waah" sound for a moment, but then it growls, still pretty deep.. no "twaaangg" sound...

Motorsport-SVX
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
most owners run Magnaflow because it sounds
good :) my suggestion is to keep the resonator too.

Speedklix
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
magnaflow 2 into 1 Cat... firebird style 2.5 in dual 2.25 out. AERO res in 2 in head pipes...

TomsSVX
02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
wait a couple more weeks. Will be producing flowmaster mufflers to bolt onto the stock system

Tomq

Zandar
02-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Tom, any chance of you guys making a header-back dual exhaust in the future?

TomsSVX
02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I can make anything you want. But was not planning on making them in mass production. Those would be a one off

Tom

Johnybeas
02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
I personally went with Flowmaster, was originally gonna go for a Magnaflow because I was more familiar with them at the time... but wow, I'm glad I didn't!! Dayle you're svx sounds good... but IMHO mine sounds wayyyyyyyyy better, but, to each their own. I kept my system similar to stock, had the resonator taken out, kept the same cat's and headers(for now) but pretty much straightened her out and ran 2.5" pipes two from the headers then to one for clearance and ease, then straight back, then went around and into my flowmaster camero style muffler not sure what series, I'll check when I go back home in a few months, and back out into two 3.5 " tips, and it sounds amazing! It's very deep at low and still at higher rpm's. It can be drowned out with loud music but with not super loud music or none at all it's got a gentle purr louder than stock obviously, but not obnoxious.
I've had compliments on it from EVERYONE, all ages, even people who aren't japanese car fans, they think my SVX sounds really awesome! I'll take pictures and do sound clips when I go back home in march, but right now my baby's gettin a new motor and I'm in florida. But I deffinately felt a huge kick the first day I drove it out of the shop after getting it done. It increased the power and gave an orgasmic sound! :) Personally though, I think any SVX with exhaust as long as it's done right is deff cooler than stock, and it's fun to see how everyone has done it! Others should post sound clips too! It was cool to hear dayle's I wanna know what everyone else sound like! The only other SVX's I've ever seen are completely stock.

Amazonparrot
02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
although I've moved onto a WRX from my SVX, I can still miss her and post my experiences...lol

My svx had a Flowmaster 80 series muffler 'camaro style'. IMHO, leaving the resonator is a better choice with any exhaust setup, as all the modified svxi that i heard with it removed were far raspier than my setup, no matter what the muffler. I highly recommend what I had done (for sound at least) which was: a 2.5" pipe all the way through with the stock resonator into the flowmaster 80, and out through whatever tips you wish...the sound was quite nice and smooth, very low below 2k rpms, but porche flat six style scream up high in the revs. Member to ask that can attest to this would be SVXfiles, and Chiketkd, and mimmsey.

Good luck!

and just as an opportunity to ***** what my current subaru sounds like (i love my subies) i will post a clip :P

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/cvillesvx/?action=view&current=WRXVid1.flv

fzftw
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
I found this old thread while doing a search and decided to bump it. I was trying to decide between the flowmaster 80 and magnaflow crossflow. I listened to a few on youtube too. I think I'm gonna go with the magnaflow. :cool:

svxboy
01-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Actually, I would go with the Hooker Header Aero Chamber Muffler thats a Camaro style like the Flowmaster 80 series and the MagnaFlow. It has chambers like the Flowmaster to control flow direction and suppress higher frequencies and has a packed chamber like the Magnaflow to get the deep exhaust tone. I use it in conjuction with a 2-1/2" inline resonator in place where the factory resonator was. It sounds best to me.

Greg

svxboy
01-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Hooker Header Part number 21721...2-1/2" inlet, dual 2-1/4" crossflow outlet...Found some on ebay for $95.90 shipped!

WYOSVX
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Do you have a sound recording you'd share?

Subaru Alliance
03-05-2012, 05:55 AM
I have heard different magna flow and flow master set ups (not on subaru's) but I have always been partial to the ol cherry bomb. not sure why, it has a nice sound to it IMO and there cheap. I have always ran a bomb with the stock resonator, and then dump the pipe with a 90* in front of the passenger back tire. Not sure why but that's the set up I like to run, and it sounds good, not raspy, more of a hollow rumble kinda.

solarsvx
03-05-2012, 07:13 AM
i have magna flow on mine all the way back from the headers , its sounds ok but dont expect to impress anyone,