PDA

View Full Version : Auto- extra ratios ?

grnSVX96
12-17-2003, 01:24 AM
I noticed an odd thing the other day when driving along the motorway in D, doing just over 100kph, car was going up a slight grade and without depressing the throttle appreciably the car changed down a gear [to 3rd] ...I thought, however I decided straight after that I needed to scoot along a bit more so I pulled the gear shift back to 3rd...and the gear box responded...yes it was in 3rd and not 2nd...try it in yours..

I've driven plenty of modern autos over the last 20 odd years, and in more recent years some 'smart' boxes have electronics that affect the engine revs as well [ sorry not a great explanation :rolleyes: ]. I notice particularly if driving the SVX around town in 3rd over about 80kph and then back off that its immediate rev response is that it wants to drop into 4th, then the "box' realizes its still in 3rd and settles appropriately....hmm

Anyway, see if you can get the same response..your thoughts :rolleyes:

David

SVXer95
12-17-2003, 10:07 AM
I believe the response that you are talking about is the locking and unlocking of the torque converter. This is not actually a gear change. That is why there was a response when you shifted out of 'D' and into '3'. When in drive, you will notice the revs drop in fourth gear. This is the effect of the torque converter locking, not a gear change. Same opposite when revs rise.

Earthworm
12-17-2003, 05:15 PM
I agree...that first shift was actually the torque converter unlocking.