PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Lit up like a Christmas Tree

EveryShadeofBlue
09-13-2001, 08:21 AM
I pulled into my parking spot at work today and suddenly many of the dashboard lights go on. These include: Steering, battery, stop lamps, brake, and ABS. The car was running fine and didn't seem to have any problems. I turned it off and started it back up again and those lights stayed on.

Any ideas? Should I "reboot" my car by unplugging the battery?

Jeff

cocacola08
09-13-2001, 08:54 AM
YIKES!!!

Yes, I would disconnect, and see what that does.

Keep us posted!

Aredubjay
09-13-2001, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
I pulled into my parking spot at work today and suddenly many of the dashboard lights go on. These include: Steering, battery, stop lamps, brake, and ABS. The car was running fine and didn't seem to have any problems. I turned it off and started it back up again and those lights stayed on.

Any ideas? Should I "reboot" my car by unplugging the battery?

Jeff

Jeff, those symptoms are usually indicative of a loose or thrown alternator belt, or an indication that your alternator is on the verge of going out. I'd go to my local Autozone (or similar) who will check the charging system for free, to see if it has to do with the charging system. ( DISCLAIMER: This is just a suggestion based on my experience. I am not a licensed technician, nor do I want to misrepresent myself as being one. :D:D:D) You can try "re-booting" -- it's cheap and, if it works, a blessing. :D

EveryShadeofBlue
09-13-2001, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I just unplugged it (after running an errand with the same lights on). I'll let you know the results!

Thanks,
jeff

Seraph
09-13-2001, 10:26 AM
Jeff, I had that problem as well. With me, it's the case of grounding. The pin 1 of the tranny harness was loose. The car lit up like a x-mas tree. Go to your local sears and check your charging system. If it is the alternator, replace that. Otherwise, check your battary. Then the horrific job of checking your ground -- good luck with that one.

Lwin

EveryShadeofBlue
09-13-2001, 10:34 AM
I just got a new battery last week. I will have the alternator checked and if that's ok, I'll take the car to the dealer to check it out. If it is a tranny harness pin, I had the whole transmission replaced about 6 months ago, so they should fix that under warranty. They better anyway.

Jeff

Aredubjay
09-13-2001, 10:46 AM
I just got a new battery last week. I will have the alternator checked and if that's ok, I'll take the car to the dealer to check it out. If it is a tranny harness pin, I had the whole transmission replaced about 6 months ago, so they should fix that under warranty. They better anyway.

Jeff

Jeff,
If you've just had the battery replaced, the first thing that would be suspect would be the battery connections. Make sure that all connections are secure, including the ground wire to the body that resides just in front of the battery.

EveryShadeofBlue
09-13-2001, 10:50 PM
Just an update: I got stranded on the side of the road tonight after my car lost power. Freaky experience, but I'm ok! So, it was the alternator. FYI kids: If your dashboard starts lighting up, it's probably your alternator. I'll try to change it out tomorrow, provided I get the part right away.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Seraph
09-14-2001, 01:19 AM
Just an update: I got stranded on the side of the road tonight after my car lost power. Freaky experience, but I'm ok! So, it was the alternator. FYI kids: If your dashboard starts lighting up, it's probably your alternator. I'll try to change it out tomorrow, provided I get the part right away.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff -- for the update.

Uh... I know how it is like to be with the SVX or rather SVX to die on the side of the road...

But it sure is worth it when the baby is running

Lwin

cocacola08
09-14-2001, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Seraphim
But it sure is worth it when the baby is running

Anything is worth it to keep 'em running....Well unless someone hits ya and totals it, then you go buy a new one!

Seraph
09-14-2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by cocacola08

Anything is worth it to keep 'em running....Well unless someone hits ya and totals it, then you go buy a new one!

God forbids!

:rolleyes:

Lwin

cocacola08
09-14-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Seraphim

God forbids!
:rolleyes:
Lwin

Oh ya forgot to put that on there.

**92SVX**
09-25-2001, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Jeff,
If you've just had the battery replaced, the first thing that would be suspect would be the battery connections. Make sure that all connections are secure, including the ground wire to the body that resides just in front of the battery.

Randy...quit feeding these boys lines!!!!

Aredubjay
09-25-2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by **92SVX**
Randy...quit feeding these boys lines!!!!

Hey, you know me. Just your average power-hungry egomaniac, schlepping out brochure speak like a 14 year old with a 1,000 horsepower SVX . :D

EveryShadeofBlue
09-25-2001, 01:08 PM
Randy, it's a 980 hp SVX, not 1,000, so stop overexagerrating!

:D

Aredubjay
09-25-2001, 01:14 PM
Randy, it's a 980 hp SVX, not 1,000, so stop overexagerrating!

:D

What's 20 horsepower between fiends (misspelling intentional :) )