PDA

View Full Version : To Clear Up a few points LONG

cdigerlando
09-10-2001, 10:01 PM
I. Turbo

A. I have had many people offer suggestions as to how the turbo could have been done better.

The turbo kit is layed out very similar to standard subaru turbos. Many have tried to improve on the upipe and downpipe (on the Impreza). Bottom line the stock layout works best for rallying, only a bit bigger, and with no cats. It has been compared to equal length headers which have proven to be heavy and not forgiving from a maintenance standpoint. Equal length headers shine in the NA world. The turbo welding on the upipe downpipe, and intake is great. The only thing I would have done differently would have been a larger 3" downpipe. Even that would be difficult given the space.

The turbo kit went in with no glitches and fit perfectly. Better than anything else I have gotten for the SVX.

B. I have also heard some people think that I am unhappy with the turbo setup.

On the contrary. I am very happy with the kit. I don't know how it could have been done much better. There are other problems to deal with that I knew would come up. Compression, fuel, engine management, and intercooling. This was no suprize to me. I don't think it should be advertized as providing 100 HP more though. This is a major stretch.

C. Money trees.

Contrary to popular belief I do not have a money tree. I have a decent job as an Engineer. I am single with no kids. Also, the SVX has not cost me much in major maintenance over the years. I have been lucky. My tranny lasted 130K. I have never replaced a wheel bearing. The rotors I replaced just because they were old and I wanted x-drilled for more performance. They cost about the same as stock.

The SVX has been a very economical car for me. I have freinds at work with porsches and BMWs that paid MUCH more than my cars combined and a LOT more in insurance. The SVX is my hobby. When I am done my car will be faster than any M3 or 911, and at a fraction of the cost.

I also have stock rims and a stock stereo. Something a lot of people have replaced long ago. Most of my modifications have been done when things have needed replacement. Also a lot of the work I have done myself. I just leave the super critical stuff like transmission installations, and spring welding to the experts.

Please don't think I am wastful with my money. This is my hobby, and I have definite goals, My modifications should be over in about 1 year. The car will be mint and fast. One of my childhood dreams.

Chuck

Aredubjay
09-10-2001, 10:54 PM
Chuck,
You've been around this board for a long time, so, you probably know that I am not a proponent of modifying the SVX. I consider it perfect in its stock form.

However, I applaud your efforts and your passion in pursuing your dream. I wish you every success in the eventual culmination of your efforts into transforming that dream into reality. I'm looking forward to many future reports of your adventures.

cdigerlando
09-11-2001, 11:22 AM
Thanks Abdub:

You have been a great help to me over the years as a technical source. If it were not for you and many others, this would not have been possible. I have always felt that efforts of this type are done to celebrate the stock version, not to downplay it. I also hope that in doing this I will be able to eventually shed some light on some of the issues that have plagued some stock owners, such as tranny problems, wheel bearings, and brake rotors.

Again thanks for the support

Chuck D.

dromano
09-14-2001, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by cdigerlando
Thanks Abdub:

You have been a great help to me over the years as a technical source. If it were not for you and many others, this would not have been possible. I have always felt that efforts of this type are done to celebrate the stock version, not to downplay it. I also hope that in doing this I will be able to eventually shed some light on some of the issues that have plagued some stock owners, such as tranny problems, wheel bearings, and brake rotors.

Again thanks for the support

Chuck D. :eek:OK all you Florida Bimmers & 911 Turbo Carrera's watch his tail lights closely, that's what you'll see the most :D :D :D :D

LarryIII
09-15-2001, 05:02 AM
Chuck,

I appreciate your efforts to make the SVX go, stop and handle better. I too am an engineer, but since I am married, I can't put as much money at my car as I'd like.
I have the stock stereo because the best thing that I can do to improve the sound is to get new ears and better hearing.
I have kept the sock wheels because I like the look of the curved spokes rather than straight spokes on mostreplacement wheels.

Keep up the good work.

Larry III

cdigerlando
09-15-2001, 07:13 AM
Actually Larrry, I have stock wheels and stock stereo too. I just replaced the speakers out of necessity.

I am not married, and when I was, the last thing I spent money on was car modifications. Its not just the money but the time to do all of this stuff, so I understand where you come from.

If you are looking at improving stuff, you may consider doing it when stuff breaks. A lot of the stuff I have done was less than or close to OEM replacement cost.

LarryIII
09-15-2001, 08:31 AM
<<<I am not married, and when I was, the last thing I spent money on was car modifications. Its not just the money but the time to do all of this stuff, so I understand where you come from.
[/B][/QUOTE]>>>

Chuck,

Amen, Brother !!

Larry