PDA

View Full Version : My 9005 to 9006 conversion

Tim
11-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Hey all. I was reading up on some stuff about fitting a 9005 bulb into the 9006 bulb without modifying the headlight housing.

I actually went ahead and bought Sylvania Cool Blue 9005 bulbs and fitted them to use with the 9006 spot with the elliptical lens in our low beam projectors.

I figured it is safe to use since the standard 9006 is 55w and the 9005 is 65w. It seems a lot safer than using offroad bulbs that require 100 watts since its only a difference of 10 watts.

I can't wait to experiment with them tonight. 1700 lumens of low beam driving should be very nice as long as I can aim it properly without blinding other drivers. It would truly be as close to HID as possible since HID is 3200 Lumens. I'll report back tonight as soon as it gets dark enough to test.

Tim
11-23-2003, 10:47 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

Heres the link where I saw the idea.

Tim
11-23-2003, 07:20 PM
*Update* It's soooo much brighter! I have it aimed properly so that I don't get highbeamed. Such a big improvement with much more light output! I'll post back on reliability.

Seraph
11-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by TE1221
elliptical lens in our low beam projectors.

Actually, we have circular lens. :)

Tim
11-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Seraph

Actually, we have circular lens. :)

Oops.

It really is a big improvement though worth trying. It was the best 18 bucks I've ever spent so far. The road is just lit up so much better now.

Chicane
11-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks man! I am SO doing this! :)

- Rob

SubaSteevo
11-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Ditto. Now I just gotta find some 9005 bulbs I like.

Chicane
11-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Cool Blues. They're great man. Cheap, brighter than regular bulbs, and they look nice.

Try em out, you won't be dissapointed.

- Rob

b3lha
11-25-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Chicane
Cool Blues. They're great man. Cheap, brighter than regular bulbs, and they look nice.

Try em out, you won't be dissapointed.

- Rob

Looks like the self-appointed "official BS detector" slipped up. We discussed those bulbs before (either here on on the old site).

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

It's a real shame that somebody chased Trevor away.

Phil.

Porter
11-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Actually, I'm the one who posted the lighting link originally and pointed out the deficiencies in blue-shift lighting.

Interesting, how the merry-go-round turns... ;) Nice crack about Trevor by the way, very subtle. :rolleyes:

Chicane
11-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by b3lha

Looks like the self-appointed "official BS detector" slipped up.

One would think, but no.

Cool blues do not have a 'blue coating' on the bulb. They're... EVER so slightly blue looking, but they basically look like normal bulbs. The packaging they come in is blue though. Anyway, I installed them, and I can honestly say they are BRIGHTER than stock. I can see farther and better with them compared to the regular bulbs that were in my car previously.

So yes, while I agree that 'HID wannabe" bulbs are lame, and are awful to drive with, cool blues are GREAT. They're 50 state legal, if that give you an indication of how 'not blue' they are.

- Rob

Tim
11-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Did anyone else try the mod yet? I'm very happy with the mod and I think its worth doing for many. All it takes is a dremel and like 20 minutes worth of time.

Chicane
11-25-2003, 01:50 PM
My wife won't let me... she says my headlights work fine right now. ARGH. She said I can do it when one of my bulbs burns out. I figure if I wait about 2 weeks and then burn one out, she won't suspect anything.

- Rob

Seraph
11-25-2003, 02:49 PM
spray some water on the bulb and turn it on. Turn it off and then spray more water when it is hot. I till crack :)

Great not to have a wife. The only person I have to listen to is me :)

svxcess
11-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Andivic had an alternative mod to the headlight bulbs. He simply sanded the shield off of the tip of the 9006 bulb. He said doing that alone gave him a lot more light.

(If you remember, he is the member who also had his own HID project and grafted the outback bumper with the large round fog lights to the front bumper of the SVX) Check his locker.

lee
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
I have a couple of points to add to the discussion.

1) I contacted Stern Lighting and he said that this mod should only be done to projector style headlamps with a good cut-off to the lens (that means the SVX is OK as it meets both criteria - not all 9006 headlamps use a lens).

2) The 9006 mean lifetime is around 1000 hours while the 9005 is around 320 hours - if I correctly remember the table I looked at yesterday. So for anyone doing this I wouldn't put big money into the bulbs, just buy the cheapest 9005 you can find and the output will still be better.

FYI, a good site to cruise for lighting is Stern's: Cruise around the site Phil put in as a link.

rcraven32
11-26-2003, 07:33 PM
Well, I am going to try this conversion and if anyone is interested Advanced Auto parts has a buy one get one at 1/2 price and then has a $6 mail in rebate.

I stopped by on my way home from work and ran into this deal.

Chicane can you tell me what the plastic polish you used on the headlight lenses. Also who carries it.

lee
11-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by rcraven32
Well, I am going to try this conversion and if anyone is interested Advanced Auto parts has a buy one get one at 1/2 price and then has a $6 mail in rebate.

I stopped by on my way home from work and ran into this deal.

Chicane can you tell me what the plastic polish you used on the headlight lenses. Also who carries it.

Thanks for the buying tip.

I'm not Rob, but you can get plastic polish at most any motorcycle shop. It's used for windshields and face shields, etc. Novus is a widely carried brand name with a good rep.

Chicane
12-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by lee
plastic polish

Don't use plastic polish... it's too wussy. USE CHROME POLISH. Seriously. It has more bite, and can take off that yellow haze a lot easier, and better. I use 'old no. 7 chrome polish', its cheap and works extremely well. After polishing I usually wax them a little also.

- Rob

Pure_Insanity8
12-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Hey Rob, I knew you were getting married... but when did the "blessed event" take place? You're the person I'd find least likely to let his wife tell him what he can and can't do to his car, bud.:p So how is the married life treating ya'?

I don't think I like my lights when they are bluer. I just put a set of Silverstars I got a while ago in my Aurora and the beam seems to reach farther but I still don't think it is any easier to see. Also, they really aren't that blue compared to those "rice-blue-lights" that I fell victim to when they were a totally new thing (hey I was 16).:(

Sonar
12-03-2003, 05:06 AM
Hi!
After a bulb replacement in the middle of nowhere, I suddenly had a awesome light on my hibeam, After I arrived to my work I glanced at the bulb package, 100W, it stated!
OOppps....
I quickly replaced them with standard 55W units (better safe than sorry).
But.....what a LIGHT ...!!! :D

Motorsport-SVX
12-04-2003, 06:20 PM
are some of the best bulbs Ive found for the $$ in
2 yrs. Weve tried at least 10 different brands and styles.
You can find these bulbs in many shops for between $20-25
pair and wont be dissappointed.
www.toucanracing.com

Dayle

Chicane
12-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
are some of the best bulbs Ive found for the $$ in
2 yrs. Weve tried at least 10 different brands and styles.
You can find these bulbs in many shops for between $20-25
pair and wont be dissappointed.
www.toucanracing.com

Dayle

Link no worky. Also, I don't like rice bulbs. I like you and all, but when you turn every thread into an advertistement it does get kinda old.

- Rob

Motorsport-SVX
12-05-2003, 02:21 AM

Link no worky. Also, I don't like rice bulbs. I like you and all, but when you turn every thread into an advertistement it does get kinda old.

- Rob

how can you judge a bulb you never used ?
theres nothing obscure about the bulbs I suggested
or I wouldnt suggest them.
Even Circuit City has been known to sell the same bulbs..
dont knock it before you tried it, thats all I can really say
dg

heres a better link

http://www.toucanindustries.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Ractive1

immortal_suby
12-05-2003, 10:54 AM

I like you and all, but when you turn every thread into an advertistement it does get kinda old.

- Rob

Where did he turn it into an advertisement? He doesn't even say he sells these bulbs, he just says you can find them in many shops. :rolleyes:

Chicane
12-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by immortal_suby

Where did he turn it into an advertisement? He doesn't even say he sells these bulbs, he just says you can find them in many shops. :rolleyes:

Oh. Sorry. :p

- Rob

rob_4187
12-30-2004, 09:06 PM
how exactly did you go about removing the little plastic guides in the 9005 bulbs? I can't find the soddering iron and i'm not sure if a knife alone will do it right!

ensteele
12-30-2004, 09:11 PM
I use a dremel tool to do it. That works great. :)

Zeppelin
12-30-2004, 09:32 PM
I just put cool blue 9005's in my Talon. What a difference!! Take a look at this pic and see if you can figure out which one is the 9005..

:D

n00b on demand
12-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Told ya so :D :p

Tim
12-30-2004, 11:08 PM
That's probably going to blind everyone since its in a reflector based headlight.

ensteele
12-31-2004, 12:46 AM
The Talon doesn't have projector type lights does it? If it doesn't, it will blind on coming drivers with the 9005s. The SVX can use them because it still has the same cut off level and won't blind on coming drivers. :) The drivers side if much brighter and seems to be on high beam.

drivemusicnow
12-31-2004, 01:03 AM
i believe they are both high beams... but if not... fix it!!!

SubaSteevo
12-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by ensteele
The Talon doesn't have projector type lights

Zeppelin
12-31-2004, 08:52 AM
Doh! I didn't know it was just for projectors :( I just took em out and put them in my high beams.

rob_4187
12-31-2004, 04:56 PM
Ok i got jittery and took at it with a pocket knife and that did the trick. They look really nice, but one of them is way lower than the other and no matter how much i adjust the screw, it wont raise up enough. Do i adjust the little white bar? Its really dark and i cant tell what it is but i could fix it tomorrow.

n00b on demand
01-07-2005, 12:23 PM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Chris/17517.jpg

found this in chris' locker...looks like a good pic to see how to do this mod.