PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear

moshols vx
11-19-2003, 04:48 AM
Check engine!

Came on all day yesterday and i thought i would have heaps of time before anything bad happened but not to be- went to start it this morning and no chance. The fan belt was going heaps louder than usual & the first few goes it sounded like it was almost going to start & i accelerated and it died. It then backfired (i think) although it sounded like something in the engine had exploded. hmmmm

Managed to eventually start it tonight after tightening an attachment under bonnet (thanks brad) though it still sounded very ill and i drove it to the garage (30 kms away). It was reving at a bit less than 500 when i was stopped which is unusual.....

anyway, hope its back by next weekend - will now be heading to jindy 4 run this weekend in an alternative vechile :(

My friend called today and said she saw a filthy (as in very dirty) black svx in Double Bay at lunchtime today- this could not possibly be you James?

Jamsvx
11-19-2003, 05:04 AM
Yegads! :( I hope it is not too serious......if your mechanic cannot check it out, perhaps try and see if you can get Tynans to look at it.

Nope, was not me....did your friend get the rego??? Best way to keep track of them!!

Hope the SVX gets back on the road - I will be doing an oil change very early in the morning on Saturday on a public road (curse of living in a unit) then off to a engagement party

Mine was always immaculate - but lately has been dirty the poor car
:(

'E'
11-20-2003, 03:35 AM
Hey Michelle

Sounds like something that happened to my SVX, ended up being the cam angle sensor, that could be whats wrong.

'E' :D

Jamsvx
11-20-2003, 05:34 AM
Hi

THere is now another SVX'er from down your way, his name is Reece and from Harcourt Hills if that is close to you.

Sounds like we need to get a run down there - a Subaru dealer told him that there were 5 SVX;s in Canberra - we now know of two!

How is the conversion going??

Cheers

James

moshols vx
11-24-2003, 01:13 AM
I'm back on the road!

E, problem was the sensor as well :)
Its weird that the car suddenly goes so badly just if one part isn't working- like a sensor doesn't have anything to do with the ignition as far as i can tell yet i could barely start it.
Anyway, am stoked that its back for the cruise this coming weekend.....
Moshol

Jamsvx
11-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Glad to hear that all sorted!!

Could I ask whether the fix was expensive???

oab_au
11-24-2003, 02:33 PM
This sensor works along with the crank sensor. The crank sensor tells when the piston is at top of the stroke and the cam sensor tells which cylinder is to fire.

When it fails, it is like a distributor that has lost it timing. That why it backfires.

Small part, big symptoms.:D cheap fix.

Harvey.;)

moshols vx
11-25-2003, 03:30 AM
Gday

James, it was $200 which is heap cheaper than what i expected (because i thought it would be gone for weeks for some major work......).

Thanks for explaining the cam sensor Harvey- i get it now :) The problem must have been there for a while because it sounds and goes so much smoother now. The mechanic said the fuel efficiency should improve as well and in the peak hour traffic this morning it purred along like it there was no engine - well by that i mean tht you couldn't hear anything when you accelerated (not chance for foot to floor joyous accelerating).

Weather report is good for Sunday yeehaa
cheers, Michelle