PDA

View Full Version : Need a Favor

cdigerlando
09-08-2001, 03:32 PM
For the record, does anyone know the stock ride height of the SVX? Ever since I have messed with the ride height, I lost track of what the original height was. If you have a stock SVX would someone mind measuring the distance from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well?

Thanks in advance

Chuck D.

sk8ing19
09-08-2001, 03:51 PM
Chuck

As soon as it gets done raining/ snowing or what ever it is trying to do out there, I will go out and messure it for you. I'll try to post it as soon as I can.

Later
Chris

LarryIII
09-08-2001, 06:36 PM
Chuck,

Yahoo rides to the rescue. SVXit posted the following on the Yahoo SVX Club site on 6/27/01 as msg.#60491.

For a '92 SVX, the official measurement from wheel center to wheel arch:

Front: 14.96 inches +0.39, -0.79
Rear: 13.19 inches +0.39, -0.79

Measurement is taken at "curb weight"; full tank, only spare & tools in trunk; no people in car.

Good Luck.

Larry III
Let's hear it for the message 40 gremlin.

ehyde111
09-08-2001, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by cdigerlando
For the record, does anyone know the stock ride height of the SVX? Ever since I have messed with the ride height, I lost track of what the original height was. If you have a stock SVX would someone mind measuring the distance from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well?

Thanks in advance

Chuck D. Chuck,
I got 15 inches on the front and 13 inches on the back. Actually, not what I expected (the front riding higher). I confirmed with ground to wheel well measurements though. I know zilch about suspensions, though. Hope that helps. I know there were no suspension mods to my SVX. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what others get. I'm easily worried about my car, paranoid I guess:rolleyes:

ehyde111
09-08-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by LarryIII

For a '92 SVX, the official measurement from wheel center to wheel arch:

Front: 14.96 inches +0.39, -0.79
Rear: 13.19 inches +0.39, -0.79

Larry III
Larry III,
Why does the front ride higher. Not what I picture on a sports car. I always imagined the rear being level or a little higher. Like I said in my previous post, I know zilch about this--want to learn though.

Thanks,
Chris

huck369
09-09-2001, 07:26 AM
The front dosn't ride higher, it's just that the front wheel opening is open higher, the rear doesn't need the extra clearance as the rear wheel don't turn(except on Randy's that is;) :D ) that is why the measurements are different.
Hope this helps,
:cool:

LarryIII
09-09-2001, 08:28 AM
Ehyde,

Just because the height of the wheel cenetr to whell arch is higher in front than rear does not mean that the front is "higher" than the rear. The front suspension travel may be longer than the rear so more clearance is required.
I am not an automotive engineer. But if the front so much heavier than the rear and for all practical purposes, the car is FWD on dry roads (torque: F=90%/R=10%) then it makes sense that the front suspension should have a longer travel than the rear. In addition, the front wheels have to turn so they need more clearance.

Larry III

cdigerlando
09-09-2001, 08:42 AM
Wow. Thanks for the responses. It will be very helpful. When I installed the Koni GCs there was a settling in period. This means the last time I readjusted my springs, I was guessing. Right now I am running 13.25 in the front and about 12 in the rear. It sounds like I need to raise the front to be 2" higher in the rear. I know its not like it sounds, but that is the jist of it. I was even toying with raising the car above stock for a local rally, but I have a transmission leak right now that I need to have fixed.

LarryIII
09-09-2001, 09:43 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry about the "Yahoo rides to the rescue" comment. It's just that everyone on this site always seems to think that this site is better than the Yahoo one. So I couldn't resist. It just seemed funny to me since I always consdered the network site as better at providing technical solutions while the Yahoo site is better at prviding general fun due to its format.
Actually each site has plusses and minuses.
We are just one big, happy, disfunctional, SVX famiy living in 2 separate appartments, in a 2 family house.
Occasionally people from one apartment visit the other and vice versa.
Oh one more thing. credit for the dimensions should go to
More IBNR.

Larry III

ehyde111
09-09-2001, 01:50 PM
Larry and Huck,
Thanks for the explanations. It makes more sense now. Ironically, my wife says that one of my biggest faults is having to understand everything and not just being able to accept it. Oh well, it keeps thins interesting.

1994SubaruSVX
09-19-2001, 11:34 AM
and that is the way i like it and that is the way i will keep it. i dont mind racing my car on the track but rallying it would beat the hell out of it too much. good luck rallying chuck but i will have to pass. i recently did the resonator mod and really could not detect much change.......

Aredubjay
09-19-2001, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
and that is the way i like it and that is the way i will keep it. i dont mind racing my car on the track but rallying it would beat the hell out of it too much. good luck rallying chuck but i will have to pass. i recently did the resonator mod and really could not detect much change.......

'Bout time you showed up 'round here, bubba. Been wondering where you were. Hope all's well and you're getting used to your new "digs." Wheels go on next week (to avoid any possible damage to newly painted center caps before Autofest).

1994SubaruSVX
09-24-2001, 10:11 AM
you still have not put on those wheels!!?? what am i going to do with you? i have been so busy i just have not had time to get online that much. i noticed i have slipped in the ranks to third or fourth.....i just cant keep up anymore. anyway i hope all is well with you and the family. :)

Aredubjay
09-24-2001, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
you still have not put on those wheels!!?? what am i going to do with you? i have been so busy i just have not had time to get online that much. i noticed i have slipped in the ranks to third or fourth.....i just cant keep up anymore. anyway i hope all is well with you and the family. :)

The family is well, the wheels are on --- They look awesome! Hopefully, you'll get to see them on a future episode of "My Classic Car" after they tape at Autofest this weekend.

1994SubaruSVX
09-24-2001, 12:01 PM
they always show some really great cars, but i can not deal with that guys really annoying mustache. :confused: