PDA

View Full Version : nitrous

cryo230
09-06-2001, 11:42 PM
I remember reading a few people nos'd the svx, I would like to hear how they are doing? 1/4 mile times?shot? there was a person that had it on for a while, is it still running well? let me know cause I am about to buy a nitrous express wet kit from a friend, and I want to know what to expect.

Dave

cocacola08
09-07-2001, 11:18 AM
I don't have it and don't think I will get it, I'd think it'd be too much stress for the tranny. Not only can't I afford to buy the NOS (And refill the bottle) there's now way I can afford a new/rebuild tranny right now.

deligeds
09-07-2001, 12:27 PM
I've had a NX wet kit installed for about three months. Combined with other mods (cold air fender-well intake, KC exhaust, colder iridium plugs, et al), the performance results are very impressive. I haven't taken it to a track, but, w/ 75hp jets, acceleration is vastly improved. Unlike other mods, it's very easy to do before-after comparisons, and the standing-start after really makes the before feel like driving through mud. Sorry I don't have any numbers for you, but the difference is really amazing.

I should post some picks of the install - just been too lazy - but it was pretty straightforward. I've only been using the juice a couple times / week, but, so far, no ill effects whatsoever. Let me know if I can be of further help. Good luck.

cryo230
09-07-2001, 04:20 PM
well let me know if you get to the track, I'm interested to see the times. I am planning a 75 shot, how do you have it set up? WOT or to a switch. I know someone has it rigged to a foot pedal on a yahoo club but I think I am going to go for a finger switch on the right side of the steering wheel (back side).

Dave

Red SVX 92
09-07-2001, 05:33 PM
Cryo, you normally have both switches for safety, an acitvation switch, plus a WOT switch, if you're going with one of the basic kits. If you get one with porgrammable jetting, that's a different story, but in general, you want to be at WOT when you activate nitrous, or else the exact amount of fuel being provided is unknown. Thus the two activation switches. Henry, who has a NX Wet kit, has wired it so that the WOT switch instead becomes a foot switch, which he has mounted to the left of the brake pedal. He has his reasons for it, but his method also has less safety built into it. As for me, I have those two switches, as well as an RPM switch which only allows the nitrous to run from 3000 to 6000 rpm. Current jetting is 80, but I'm having shifting problems caused by the nitrous, so the tranny pauses for half a second sometimes as the engine hits the rev limiter. Has any other nitrous SVX had this problem?

And yes, the feeling is great.

cryo230
09-07-2001, 05:43 PM
I know it is supposed to be at WOT to engage the nos but I have a few reasons for doing it my way. I hate the thought of spitting n2o before the tranny downshifts in a rolling start situation. I would rather be able to engage the juice right after the downshift, and be able to let of the nitrous easily while still at WOT if I don't need it anymore...lol

Dave

cryo230
09-07-2001, 05:46 PM
my switch on my steering wheel would be the (WOT) GO switch...I will have all other switches also...bottle heater,activation switch. Just wanted to clarify.

Dave

deligeds
09-07-2001, 10:42 PM
I went with the wot switch under the pedal, and the other activation on the driver side of the center console. Also on the center console is a bottle heater switch and a rocker switch for a bottle opener. I believe the kit came with rather long toggle switches for solenoids and heater. If you mount either on the center console, I'd recommend replacing it with a less obtrusive rocker-style toggle. The "oem" switches are very easy to bump and/or break.

Depending on the driving situation, I use either the pedal or the center console switch to activate the nitrous. For me, this setup works nicely. I've made several wot nitrous runs from 0 up to about 80 or 90, and haven't noticed any shifting problems, overrevving, or hesitation so far.

cryo230
09-07-2001, 11:31 PM
sounds like a good system,I still need a bottle opener..how does i

t work? can I buy one seperate from the kit *I hope so* you

should post some pics if you can, I would love to see your setup.

Any Idea what you run 1/4 mile? or if anyone can tell me

this...what have you raced and beat?...*I realize streetracing is

bad and I do not condone it but people dont do this kinda stuff

just for the track* let me know...

Dave