PDA

View Full Version : Power Mode

sk8ing19
09-06-2001, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know when the power mode should kick in? Last night at the drags I was on it pretty good, however my power mode never kicked in. So today while driving around I stomp on it and still no power mode. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Chris

rufus
09-07-2001, 07:57 AM
Well, if your car is anything like mine, you need to stomp it FAST. Unnaturally fast, and all the way to the floor in one push.

Also, make sure the "power" light comes on with all the others when you first turn on the car. Maybe the bulb is out.

cocacola08
09-07-2001, 08:59 AM
The gear selector has to be in D, I don't think it comes on in 1,2,or 3--(If you are using those)

if it is in D then like rufus said, make sure it comes on when you start the car.

sk8ing19
09-07-2001, 09:59 AM
Ok so the bulb is still comming on at start up. Yet still can not get it to go into power mode is there a fuse or something I should be looking for.
Thanks
Chris:confused:

cocacola08
09-07-2001, 10:19 AM
Put it in drive, hold the brake and stomp on it hard. it should show up then. don't hold down the gas bad on torque converter.

rufus
09-07-2001, 10:56 AM
Try it at highway speeds. I believe it is much easier to get it to engage when you are already underway. Just get up to cruising speed and seriously stomp it, like you are crushing an aluminum can.

And while you do it, try saying "Engage...full impulse power...shields to full"

:D

Other than that, I would ask Eddy.

tat2skullz
09-07-2001, 11:03 AM
Wow... been a while since I've been here.... but I think I can help out.

To get it into "Power Mode" every time...

Put your toes on the top of the accelerator pedal and push forward, so the bottom of the pedal comes up to meet your heel.

Instead of pushing "in" to the pedal, stomp down... I mean MASH IT! :mad:

BlondeMan (Don't know if he hangs around anymore) and I tested this on 4 different SVXs. Every single one, every single time, the light came on, and we took off.... :D

Good luck

Seth

cocacola08
09-07-2001, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by rufus

And while you do it, try saying "Engage...full impulse power...shields to full"

"Accellerate to ludicris speed"...Space Balls

tober76b
09-07-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by cocacola08
The gear selector has to be in D, I don't think it comes on in 1,2,or 3--(If you are using those)

if it is in D then like rufus said, make sure it comes on when you start the car.

i normally drive around in 2 or 3 while in town and regularily get it to engage. (i've got a '92)
toby

tober76b
09-07-2001, 02:17 PM
speaking of 'mashing' the accelerator pedal, have any of you experienced the following:
after flooring it, once you've reached your desired speed (especially when it's below 45mph) and you let up a little so that you're around half throttle -- does your svx jump around a little bit trying to find the right gear? if i floor it, reach my speed and then completely let off the throttle then reapply to half throttle, it reacts fine (ie. finds the correct gear the first attempt-- smooth acceleration).
is this a characteristic trait of automatic transmissions? i've always driven a manual trans in the past.
thanks.
toby

cocacola08
09-07-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by tober76b

i normally drive around in 2 or 3 while in town and regularily get it to engage. (i've got a '92)
toby

Hmmm....i dunno....guess i haven't tried it enough in other selections. oh well

chalk another one up for me being wrong

rufus
09-07-2001, 02:28 PM
speaking of 'mashing' the accelerator pedal, have any of you experienced the following:
after flooring it, once you've reached your desired speed (especially when it's below 45mph) and you let up a little so that you're around half throttle -- does your svx jump around a little bit trying to find the right gear? if i floor it, reach my speed and then completely let off the throttle then reapply to half throttle, it reacts fine (ie. finds the correct gear the first attempt-- smooth acceleration).
is this a characteristic trait of automatic transmissions? i've always driven a manual trans in the past.
thanks.
toby

Yes. Mine does exactly the same thing. It only seems to do it when you slow down from highway speeds and then start accelerating pretty hard at slower speeds. For example, if you drive on the interstate for a while, exit, slow down on the ramp, and then get on it again pretty hard, it always seems to exhibit this behavior. I go through that sequence whenever I drive it to work, and I have noticed over time that it always seems to happen at about the same place. My solution is to just stop slowing down for the ramp :D

tober76b
09-07-2001, 02:32 PM

Hmmm....i dunno....guess i haven't tried it enough in other selections. oh well

chalk another one up for me being wrong

don't be down on yourself about it. cheer up 'ole buddy!
i'm just a more impatient suburbia driver.
toby

tober76b
09-07-2001, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by rufus

Yes. Mine does exactly the same thing. It only seems to do it when you slow down from highway speeds and then start accelerating pretty hard at slower speeds. For example, if you drive on the interstate for a while, exit, slow down on the ramp, and then get on it again pretty hard, it always seems to exhibit this behavior. I go through that sequence whenever I drive it to work, and I have noticed over time that it always seems to happen at about the same place. My solution is to just stop slowing down for the ramp :D

hmmmm, that's similar to what i was talking about. although, i've never experienced your scenario. what i'm referring to is slowing down my rate of acceleration, not my mph. when i let off the throttle completely, it's only for a second. (i presume it gives it a chance for the rpms to drop down out of the 5-6k range and therefore make a better gear selection on it's first attempt.)
i'll have to try out your scenario--unfortunately, i rarely get a green light when coming off an offramp. :(
toby

svxistentialist
09-09-2001, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Ok so the bulb is still comming on at start up. Yet still can not get it to go into power mode is there a fuse or something I should be looking for.
Thanks
Chris:confused:

Chris,

I have answered this before, but just double-check that this is not your problem.

Your POWER mode can't come on if you have MANUAL engaged. They are two mutually exclusive TCU maps. Check when ignition is on if the MANUAL light is working on the dash or combination meter, as the owner's manual cutely calls it.

The switch for it is on the shift lever, the lower button. On mine, the mode is ON when the switch is pushed in against the spring. On the dash, it shows up as a yellow MANU. sign. This yellow sign switches on and off for the button. It could be different on later cars, I don't know.

If this bulb is blown on the dash, and you have the button pushed in for MANUAL, you can kiss it's butt but you will not light the green POWER light.

So check it.

Joe:)

sk8ing19
09-09-2001, 10:47 AM
Okay so I went out and got alittle crazy in the mountians last night. It must just have been that I was in manual mode the other day, because last night she sure did kick in when I need her to. The Light lit and the car took off like normal. So I would say all is fine.

Thanks
Chris

svxistentialist
09-09-2001, 11:33 AM
That's good news Chris.

It is real easy to push on that Manual switch, and not realise it is on. Glad you did not have a problem.

Joe:)

svx_commuter
09-10-2001, 11:36 AM
Glad you found the problem.
When I first got my car I was always a little tenative with the throttle.
The power light never came on.
I had to learn to be fast with my foot to the floor.

Back to the drag strip?
Leave it in first gear.
The shift to second is a little higher than in power mode.
Automatic over-rev protection.

nvrmore100
09-10-2001, 11:52 AM

"Accellerate to ludicris speed"...Space Balls

What the heck was that....

Spaceball 1....

They've gone to plaid!!! :eek:

I love that movie. :D

Ryan

nvrmore100
09-10-2001, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Okay so I went out and got alittle crazy in the mountians last night. It must just have been that I was in manual mode the other day, because last night she sure did kick in when I need her to. The Light lit and the car took off like normal. So I would say all is fine.

Thanks
Chris

Ok 2 things here.

First. If you want to try it out, do the resistor mod. It takes about as long as your signal removal took at the track. Just unplug it (right near the battery). It will always be in power mode after that...in case you are wondering.

Second. Why the heck didn't you call me!?!?! :D I could have used a little mountain run after spending all yesterday packing.

Ryan

svxistentialist
09-10-2001, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Back to the drag strip?
Leave it in first gear.

If I was doing drag strip, I also would do this. But not too often.

Try it out and note what max revs it shifts on, and that it does it consistently.

If the over-rev protection circuit fails, which is possible, you will blow your engine. Even without blowing the engine, you will be stressing seals in the tranny.

But it's good fun though!!

Joe

dromano
09-10-2001, 04:37 PM
thanks.
toby This has happened to me in 5 different Subs, 3 Legacys and 2 SVXs.
A tech told me it is the throttle sensor, another electric marvel, we are not supposed to be so quick footed.:)

tober76b
09-13-2001, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by dromano
This has happened to me in 5 different Subs, 3 Legacys and 2 SVXs.
A tech told me it is the throttle sensor, another electric marvel, we are not supposed to be so quick footed.:)

at least it not a *problem* then.
thanks for the insight.
toby

cocacola08
09-13-2001, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Back to the drag strip?
Leave it in first gear.
It's not the shift to second that I'm concerned about at the 1/4mi. Its the shift to 3rd, that takes you WAY out of the powerband, When I'm crossing the line, it's just starting to accell, in 3rd. It either needs to not shift to 3rd till after the line or shift much sooner so you can begin to gain more momentum in third. The best answer is not to shift to 3rd till after the line..

1994SubaruSVX
09-26-2001, 12:19 PM
it does not leave your car in the power mode at all times. it makes the tranny shifts firmer. it basically take the coupe shifts away and allows the car to shift much more agressively and a lot less soft. i like it because it makes the car feel like it is launching out of first and second gear. :D

Aredubjay
09-26-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
it does not leave your car in the power mode at all times. it makes the tranny shifts firmer. it basically take the coupe shifts away and allows the car to shift much more agressively and a lot less soft. i like it because it makes the car feel like it is launching out of first and second gear. :D

The resistor mod allows full-time full line pressure by disabling duty solenoid A.

ehyde111
09-26-2001, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
it does not leave your car in the power mode at all times. it makes the tranny shifts firmer. it basically take the coupe shifts away and allows the car to shift much more agressively and a lot less soft. i like it because it makes the car feel like it is launching out of first and second gear. :D Drawbacks to this mod??? Someone did this long term to a Nissan 240sx and claimed it demolished their tranny. Is that what the previous post that said it stresses seals was referring to?