PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine!

moshols vx
11-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Hi

My 'check engine' light keeps randomly coming on, sometimes after i have held my foot to the floor for a few seconds and sometimes when i'm just going along normally it will come on for a minute or two. I took it to the mechanic and he sent it to a few subaru places in sydney & none of them could work out what was wrong when they hooked it up to the computer (was also the first svx they had dealt with).

I think it might be something to do with the transmission as its starting to take a few goes to get it started, this sounds like a common problem . . . .
when i turn the key it half starts then dies. It seems to like turning on best if i turn the key 1/4 way and wait till a small click sound. This usually takes about 30 seconds and then sometimes it starts straight away. If i forget to wait then it usually won't start for a while even if i wait the next time.

Sound familiar to anyone?
Cheers, Michelle

Aredubjay
11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by moshols vx
Hi

My 'check engine' light keeps randomly coming on, sometimes after i have held my foot to the floor for a few seconds and sometimes when i'm just going along normally it will come on for a minute or two. I took it to the mechanic and he sent it to a few subaru places in sydney & none of them could work out what was wrong when they hooked it up to the computer (was also the first svx they had dealt with).

I think it might be something to do with the transmission as its starting to take a few goes to get it started, this sounds like a common problem . . . .
when i turn the key it half starts then dies. It seems to like turning on best if i turn the key 1/4 way and wait till a small click sound. This usually takes about 30 seconds and then sometimes it starts straight away. If i forget to wait then it usually won't start for a while even if i wait the next time.

Sound familiar to anyone?
Cheers, Michelle

Michelle,
Sounds like an Oxygen sensor, but, to make sure, go to "Personal Lockers" at the top of the page. Then, scroll down to the "How To" locker. Look in that locker for the procedure for pulling the Check Engine light codes. That should let you know what the difficulty is. There may be more than one. Remedy the "cheapest" first (which may be a cause of multiple codes) then, clear the codes and drive for a while and see if another code shows up. It may also be a faulty MAF Sensor or TPS, but, check the codes to make sure.

Transmission codes are indicated by a flashing "Power" light, on start up. So, it probably isn't the tranny.

Good luck.

moshols vx
11-04-2003, 05:27 AM
Hey Randy

Thanks for your help, have printed out list of codes and will investigate. I might be blind but i can't seem to find a place to look at and post svx pics- is there one on this site?

hmmm am not familiar with attaching pics but i think i just have :)

Moshol

Aredubjay
11-04-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by moshols vx
Hey Randy

Thanks for your help, have printed out list of codes and will investigate. I might be blind but i can't seem to find a place to look at and post svx pics- is there one on this site?

hmmm am not familiar with attaching pics but i think i just have :)

Moshol

Yep, looks like you've figured out how to attach pics.:D

The personal lockers are the place to put your pics for all to see. Go to the personal lockers link at the top, then, set yours up. I can't remember how, it's been so long. If I figure it out, I'll post directions here, that is, if someone doesn't beat me to it. :D

Aredubjay
11-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Okay, go to the top of the page and click on "user cp" (in the purple buttons). Then look at the top of THAT page and click on "Personal Locker" -- then you can click on the "add" button to your heart's content (or the capacity of the HDD). :D

Jamsvx
11-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Hi Michelle

I see that you are in Sydney!! I sent you a PM (private message) so it should be coming up on your system next time you are on.

There are a few of us in Sydney (and frequent the down-under section of this site) so drop us a line - we plan to have a meet up/drive in a few weeks

Cheers

James

*Mach 1 pilot on the Gore Hill Freeway*

:D

Earthworm
11-04-2003, 08:14 PM
I'd also be willing to wager a bet on a failing Coolant Temperature Sensor.