PDA

View Full Version : Local Shops in Everett/Seattle

manofmayo
10-18-2003, 03:29 PM
I need to find a new shop in Everett or Seattle. I am NOT mechanically inclined (I can change a bulb and get it right MOST of the time:D ).

Who do you use or do you do it yourself? I'm interesting in routine (or non-routine) maintenance and adding a few mods.

Thanks

Harold

ensteele
10-18-2003, 04:26 PM
What do you want to do that is routine? I do most of it myself. (I don't trust most shops, and I just got reinforcement of that). If I can help in some way, let me know. I would like to do a meet to from time to time to do general maintenance. This would help members who don't know how to do it and use some of the expertise that we have locally. :)

Alycone
10-18-2003, 05:00 PM
As far as shops go, a lot of us go to Smart Service (http://www.smart-service.com/)

A maintance meet sounds fun, I'd like to be able to do more. :)

manofmayo
10-18-2003, 09:53 PM
That's a great idea!
I'd love to learn a few things about working on these cars and doing my own maintenance.

Stuff I'd like to do.....condensation problem, clear headlights, clear corners, hose kits, etc.

Stuff others should do: Aftermarket tranny cooler, different gauges, and engine stuff.

ensteele
10-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Some of us can help with tranny coolers, tranny filter, and tranny temp gauge. Antenna fix, alt upgrade, and many others. :D

WestCoastSVX
10-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Yes, I would also recommend Smart Service (click on the link Aly put up), they are located right between Everett and Seattle in Mountlake Terrace. I've gone there for years and they've never done me wrong, it's an independent shop (meaning generally cheaper than the dealer), but all the techs are fully trained and certified by Subaru (ex-dealer master techs that got tired of working for the dealers) that are old enough to be around when Suby offered special SVX training. The other good thing about going there as opposed to the dealer, aside from the more personalized service and knowing that someone that KNOWS the SVX as well as any other Sube, is that they are willing to do aftermarket mods and such work. So they are your best bet for shops in your area, if you happen to go there, please tell them you learned about them from here, maybe mention NW SVX even. (As soon as our club is up and running full steam I'm going to approach the owner about offering discounts for members of NW SVX).

Okay, now that I've said that, I should mention that though they are less expensive than the dealer, any SVX work is general still expensive. The more you can learn to do yourself, the better. I had done hardly no mechanic work before owning an SVX, since then the combination of the high costs and the wealth of knowledge gained from 4 years on various web forums has given me confidence to do quite a bit myself. There's a lot of how to's on this site now and there will be a lot more hopefully. Also, to take it a step farther and give you more confidence, I like Earl's idea of having maintenence meets.